After you got your Mavrik SZ, did you pick up the same model 3-wood and/or hybrid?

Mavrik SZ on the way... And whereas I don't know that I want to replace my TM RBZ 3-wood and hybrid right now, I'm wondering if the SZ 3-wood and Pro hybrid are logical fits based on fit of the driver.

Asked another way, if you went SZ in the driver, did you go SZ in the 3-wood? Or, did you find that one of the other trims was more appropriate for that club?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally stay more forgiving options in my 3w. I opt for ease of launch and forgiveness. Have gamed low spin bomber 3w in the past (M2 Tour, Epic SZ) but prefer the predictability of a "standard

Nope. I like adjustability in my woods and Mavrik line doesn't provide that for either the fairways or hybrids. The Epic Flash line of fairways is probably the best I've ever owned so it was super e

I just got the SZ (I started a thread on it) but I have kept my old 3 and 5w. I hit both of them well so I don't see a reason to change to the SZ. 

I personally stay more forgiving options in my 3w. I opt for ease of launch and forgiveness. Have gamed low spin bomber 3w in the past (M2 Tour, Epic SZ) but prefer the predictability of a "standard" 3w in my gamers. Recent gamers I enjoyed were Rogue, TS2, and now MAVRIK.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
Titleist 818H1 21*, Tensei Pro White 90S
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

Nope. I like adjustability in my woods and Mavrik line doesn't provide that for either the fairways or hybrids. The Epic Flash line of fairways is probably the best I've ever owned so it was super easy for me to stay with that. Same goes with the hybrid line as well.

No adjustability is a deal breaker for me. Even if I don't use it , I want the option.

• Like 1

Callaway GBB Epic SZ

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 5W or Apex '19 2H
Callaway X Forged '21 UT 18*
Callaway X Forged '18 UT 21*, 24*, 27*, 30*
Callaway Apex Forged '19 8-PW
Callaway MD5 48S, 54C, 60C

I did this with EF SZ, but the 3w is waaay to close to driver distance. That said, I do love it! I grabbed a heavenwood on a whim as well and it covers just about anything I'd need by itself. This is the first time I've ever had a matching set of woods.

Callaway Mavrik SZ Speeder 757
Callaway Super Hybrid 17 Tensei Orange
Callaway Super Hybrid 20 Tensei Orange
Callaway Epic Forged 4-7 iron
Callaway Apex MB 8-AW
Callaway PM Tour Grey 54/ 58/ 64
Evnroll ER2B

This is all good stuff. Yeah, I still have the RBZ 3-wood after all this time because I know how I hit it/what to expect from it. Part of me doesn't want to mess with that. And, I don't think I'm interested in something that goes nearly as far as my driver.

...But I'm not married to my RBZ hybrid. I've really been to lazy to bother pursuing a different one -- but the feel of the Mavrik driver has be wondering if I should finally look into a new [Mavrik] hybrid.

I don't have direct experience with Mavrik, however, once I bought and fell in love with my Epic Flash SZ Driver, I did buy the 5 wood, dialed down to 17*, it's a beast. I'd assume Mavrik line similarly impressive.

Have the Mavrik SZ 9* and also a Mavrik 3+ SZ, 3 SZ and 5 SZ!

Lov'em

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 16*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4, Diamana Thump HY, 105g, X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 3:20 PM, BirdieBob said:

Have the Mavrik SZ 9* and also a Mavrik 3+ SZ, 3 SZ and 5 SZ!

Lov'em

Did you have the EF SZ Fairway woods prior to moving into the Mavrik? I am weary of moving into the Mavrik Fairways because of the bonded hosel, but if the Mavrik has more fade bias, than I'm in! 

9 minutes ago, EDWARDSR said:

Did you have the EF SZ Fairway woods prior to moving into the Mavrik? I am weary of moving into the Mavrik Fairways because of the bonded hosel, but if the Mavrik has more fade bias, than I'm in! 

No...PXG

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 16*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4, Diamana Thump HY, 105g, X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black

I have the Mavrik SZ, but I kept my Epic Flash non-SZ fairway wood.  I love that club and I've always felt that hitting long shots off the turf is the single hardest thing to do in golf, so why not have a touch of extra forgiveness built in?  

As I type that, I realize my inane hypocrisy and wonder why I constantly try to shoehorn in a driving iron instead of just having a 5w or 2h?  

I swear I'm a moron sometimes........

Mavrik SZ 9.5° w/AD BB
Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue M•AX
Nickent Genex 3DX 18.5° w/VS Proto
X Forged UT 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 6-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 56, 60, 64 w/PX
TP Mills Workshop III
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

You speak the truth DD .. I’ve seen it live

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Was fitted for Mavrik SZ driver today.  Also fitted for 3w and 5w and those ended up not being SZ, FWIW.

I was as well, but the TM Sim Ti was the clear winner for me for fairway woods.  I had a Mavrik SZ 4 wd which was performing okish for me, but last round left me seriously pissed off as it was flying too high and very short.

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

Sorry, earlier response probably not all that helpful without more.

Driver is Mavrik SZ Rogue 60TS shaft.

The 3w and 5w that performed best for me were regular Mavrik heads with Riptide 6.0 - S 60g.

Driver and 5w came home with me.  3w on order.  I did switch the 14g weight to the front after getting what I thought was too high, too much spin with my normal golf ball on the course last night.  The change did actually make a difference today, but I was swinging it so much better today that I'll have to experiment more.  Also, this driver flies high for me and I think it's ballooning (still getting used to feel off face and not sure on feedback yet) and . . . I just hit the darn thing high and it goes, so no, it's not ballooning, haha.  I have yet to hit a single bad shot with the 5w from the tee or a closely mown fairway,  so easy to hit.  Driver of course isn't perfect and won't be for me, but it is the best feeling driver head/shaft combo I've ever had, ever. Puts my 913D2 to shame and forever out of the bag, and I've had later versions of D2 and D3 that couldn't knock it out of the bag.