How to get to consistency for your junior golfer?

Wondering how do you get your golfer to some type of consistent scoring?

Background:

Daughter 13 been playing since about 8 years old, distance not a issue although could always be better. Almost has a problem with always going at it full throttle. which coach has talked about doing a 80% swing. which she will do at times. Lately been shooting between 89-93 for 18 holes and stuck there, From watching her play at times I keep thinking wow she is gonna shoot a great round one of these days.. next couple of holes I am wondering what the heck is going on.

Practices/plays all the time. Fitted for new clubs a couple months ago. Sees a coach maybe once every couple of months but has at times been going regularly. I have seen her hit many practice shots better than I could ever. Come tournament time, she seems to shoot herself in the foot so to speak at some point during every round. At the range pre-round hitting them consistent. Can par 3 holes in a row. Another round birdie 4 holes. One round 3 putt one hole. On the flip side can 3 putt 8 holes. Go triple -double at either beginning of round/end or middle of round . Blades a chip over the green from 5 feet off the green, starts hitting drives/shots OB way past target, etc.

It never really seems to come altogether

To me I would think its a mental game problem more so than anything but wondering how to you got your junior to that next level if mental game? Is it a coaching need or something else? I just cant seem to put my finger on what exactly is the best way to get her more consistent. I even let only mom go today thinking maybe I am the problem..even just being there.. nope same results. Starts off +3 after 5 holes and then goes double/double and 2 doubles and 2 triples on back. Open for any ideas! Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some mental work wouldn't hurt. Pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine. No focus on the result. Commit to whatever shot you plan to hit and live with it. Don't forget pre-shot routine.

So many things it could be It’s frustrating to practice and not seeing results.

With my kids I am started to see a lot success just before the shutdown and my daughter started to put in very solid rounds. Since the shutdown the scores in practice rounds have dropped a lot. We haven’t played any tournaments recently so i don’t have a handle on how it will translate to tournaments but I am seeing very consistent practice rounds with really good scores.

The biggest thing I see that has changed is maturity. You can get the best instructors, they can hit the ball well and have a good short game but they need have a level of maturity to accomplish scoring low.

Some parents will drill how to play and plan every shot for a kid and I always was told this is a disaster waiting to happen. They will have success and win so it hard for most of us to ignore their style of coaching. You have to resist because golf needs to fun for them.

so yes it all mental but they have to figure things out themselves.

Some mental work wouldn't hurt. Pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine, pre-shot routine. No focus on the result. Commit to whatever shot you plan to hit and live with it. Don't forget pre-shot routine.

• Like 1

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

I have been in your shoes and sort of approached the problem analytically. Although you said "Consistent Scoring" in your post - it appears that she is consistently shooting in the high 80s/lows 90s so I assume you care about lowering that score through playing consistently.

I would start with trying to eliminate the 3 putts and bladed chips That should save you 3-4 strokes a round. The only thing I would add is that not all 3 putts and bladed chips are the same, Was it a tight lie, was the 3 putt in the start of the round? Did she get lazy on the 3 footer? Did she peak in the her short putts? Once you identify the issue it become much easier to fix it.

I could go on about this but hopefully you get the point. The only way to lower her score is to for you to analyse the game/round in entirety and break it down.

Just going on what you said, I would say it is a matter of lack of correct repetition which causes a lack of consistency. First thing I would ask is how much does she practice a day and weekly. There is no reason to 3 putt that much. If she is blading wedges, I would ask if she has those shots in the bag.

I have a buddy whose daughter is really good comparative to other girls in the class of 2022. She carries here driver 260. Have seen her drive a 300 yard par 4 down wind only to Par the hole. She is pin high off the green and can't get it up and down for birdie. This just isn't an occurrence on one hole. She will play Par 5's, get to the greens in two, and not birdie them. With the distance she has courses should play at a Par 68. She struggles to come in better than a 75 most days.

If you want to score you have to have the shots. You must know the situation, the lie, the shot, and then be able to execute. Her coach is a wonderful teacher for full swing, but I think he lacks in other areas. I also don't think she puts in the time practicing the shots to be really good. As well, she doesn't have a good putting stroke.

I have a son, but when I see girls who are good, but struggle a lot has to do with their attitude. After a bad hole, I see girls tank for some reason. They can't shake it off and move forward. On the flipside, if they start well, they put a lot of pressure on themselves and things can also go south quickly. I have no idea how to fix this though. My son struggles with this as well, but he's only 10. I hope he grows out of it asap.

Have you considered hiring a mental coach?

The school principal and former golf coach in me would simply offer that, given time, she will become more consistent on her own. She will get tired of making those small mistakes (which lead to big numbers) and will look for solutions to them. You just have to be ready with the answers. Doing things that try to reign in her natural inclinations are likely counterproductive (like shorter swings, etc.). If you really feel improvements are a time-sensitive necessity, challenge her to a game in areas where she is weak, like chipping just off the green. And if you aren't as good as she is in that particular area of the game, have her "teach" you how to do it. Sometimes, being able to teach something forces a person to develop an approach to a challenge.

Good luck.

?

?

?

?

Cleveland Rtx4 (Raw) 48, 54, 60/Dynamic Gold TI s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

One thing I forget to mention is a lot kids do not Drink and eat enough during rounds. This can easily result in a lack of focus during tournaments. You can easily lose a lot strokes if you tee off say at 10:30 and never get them anything to eat during the round.

As a parent you have to forceful on them drinking enough and eating during a round. It is really the biggest help you can do during a round.

She's also at an age where you need to be careful and not turn her off of the game. Golf is hard and trying to force a 13 year old to grind wear tracks into the putting green or chipping area is going to be an uphill battle.

If she's willing, spend as much time with her on the course as you can and have fun with it. Don't try to make suggestions and correct every mistake - that's just going to frustrate her more; I'd suggest inviting her to ask for your help instead of imposing it on her. Sounds like some lesson time with the pro chipping, pitching and putting would also be money well spent, and I'd bet working with a "neutral" 3rd party like the pro would be well received.

Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
Taylormade SIM, 15* & 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
Taylormade P790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade MG 50 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Taylormade MG2 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
Odyssey White Hot Pro #5, 35"