10-16 handicap. RTX 4 OR CBX 2

sarmao

I play Taylormade RSI1s. And have always had the Cleveland gc15 wedges. I want to add some new wedges but cant decide between the CBX or the RTX4. Handicap anywhere from 10 to 16 right now. I am fairly good around the greens. Full wedge swings cause me the hit fat or high but I never get my distance right. Half swings, chips, around the greens you can invest in me. Play stiff driver cobra f9, changed from Taylormade rocketstage 2. That change was weird. And I play a red spider tour putter. Also thinking about upgrading my woods, they are the old white taylor burner superfast 2.0, old and beat up now. Thinking about matching the cobra f9 woods.

Thoughts????

First time virgin poster in this group as well!

Which ones to get?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTX and CBX are both pretty good. I know some guys at my club swear by the CBX. I was a fan of the RTX4s as good as anything out there, I liked them more than the SM8s. If you want that touch of extra help/forgiveness on the full shots the cbx is going to be for you, my only thought would be go for the RTX wedge as your lob wedge. The CBX has a sole thats basically designed to help you out on full shots and face square chips, I dont know if youre going to want that in your lob wedge if you need to open it for a bunker shot or the like.

There is a very good thread on the CBX2 line. I am a big fan as you will see in the earlier thread. Regarding the sole of the CBX2 for opening it on bunker shots, etc. Never an issue for me - actually a little easier than the RTX3 or RTX4 (I had both of them). The full face CBX is another possibility for your most lofted wedge.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

I'm another CBX2 fan. I have a CBX 50 and 54 and a full face 58. They are incredibly versatile. the regular CBXs are great on full shorts, partial wedges, pitches, chips....you can bump and or run or leave the face a little open. The 58* is incredibly easy to open up as well. Playing in Texas I use them on tight dormant bermuda during the winter with no issues with the soles. Absolutely the best wedges I've ever played. All the playability, but much more forgiving and consistent than traditional wedges.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

The RTX4 is a good wedge but I would define it as a better player wedge for sure. Leading edge is sharper than a Vokey for instance and will dig a lot even in higher bounces if you come in early. I liked them a lot but had them in the spring soup here. Wasn’t hitting them fat but they would take a crazy divot. Ended up going back to Vokey and much less dig after the ball. Honestly I would get Ping Glide or CBX too as it sounds like you have trouble with fuller swings. If you’re good around the greens you can make anything work there.

I love my CBX wedge. I would recommend giving them a try. Only issues I have are related to me and not the club.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

No issues at all for me - actually found it a little easier on the tight lies typically found in the front of a green, and definitely easier if these lies are a little wet (spring and early summer here in OHIO can be a little muddy). On super tight hard pan, I can't comment but this is a tough lie for any wedge. Regarding sand use - no issues at all. Hope this helps.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

Over the winter I purchased the Cbx 2 in 52, 56, and 60. Love the 52 and 60. Replaced the 56 last week with my old rtx3. Don’t know what the deal was but I was constantly hitting pushed toe shots(way out on the toe) which came up well short and left (I’m left handed) with the 56. Certainly, probably even likely, it was a me problem not club problem but I was Instantly cured going back to the old Rtx 3. With all the love on here for the cbx series it would likely be a great club for you but if you have the means to be fitted/test the club prior to buying that would be the way to go. Wish i would’ve

Based on your description I would recommend the cbx2 for the wedges you hit your full shots with. On your highest lofted wedge, I would recommended a rtx4 with a mid bounce so you have more versatility.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Still gaming the original cbx. Tried upgrading and that lasted about 10 rounds until I went back to the first version. There's nothing much to chipping or hitting full shots anymore with wedges. All the talk about not being able to open the faces up a lot on the higher lofts has never been a issue for me. It's hard to miss with these honestly.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

I owned the cbx and played it for 2 seasons. It has its drawbacks.

Don't get me wrong, it's good out of a bunker and any chip and run.

But it's bad on a thin lie, and in rough it gets caught easily.

I went back to a smaller wedge after using one of my old pings to practice with.

It's just too chunky. Good for a GI 4i, but not what you want around the greens unless your short game is truly terrible.

This broader topic re CBX wedges has popped up a few times on here and I have posted my thoughts, I do so again to give some balance.

I play a CBX 50/11 degree as my gap wedge and don't really like it.

For me it is limited - ok for full swing shots where its 115g shaft bridges a weight gap between my iron shafts (103g) and specialty wedges (129g) but too light in the head for my taste for touch shots.

Also be aware that the hot face means your chips are difficult to control for pace - I don't use the club for chipping for that reason.

I've added some lead tape to the back of the head to bring the SW up 1 point, it is a little better for me like that.

So not really a fan.

I have an RTX3 56/14 3 dot that I really like.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I went from old vokeys to the cbx2’s, been an easy and efficient move. My strike pattern was towards the toe because even when I think I am lined up square I had the tendency of resting the club and slightly opening the race. This resulted in a lot of high, weak shots to the right(right handed). I have the same problem with the CBX2’s(slightly toe side) but they go straight and the distance I expect.

i play mostly from firm to firm+ lies, and the bounce on the CBX2’s have not been an issue. I will agree that short sided, touch style chips are tough because the ball does tend to come off hot regardless. Full swings I don’t have the same issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Put a CBX2 58 in my bag for a tryout today and it performed great. I like it a lot more than the first version. This one is more refined, but still so easy to hit good shots with it. Really takes the pressure off wedge play. Had 3 kick-ins after shots with this wedge. Looks great at address, not like an SGI club. It’s smooth. The easiest to hit nice looking wedge I’ve come across. Cleveland has a wedge that stands out from the crowd

Had no problems on touch shots. Ball did not seem to come off too hot at all. i find it very consistent. If you’re a good player who has inconsistent wedge play, I highly recommend checking it out. If you’re less skilled and improving, it’s a no-brainer. I have other bladed wedges I like, but the CBX2 is so good at masking those less than perfect swings.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Agree with this. I’ve had RTX4, Glide 2.0, CBX and CBX2 amongst others. The RTX4 I found incredibly difficult to hit, the CBX2 were very clunky and one-dimensional, Glide were better than both. But the SM8 and MD5 are on a completely different level to all of the above, easier to hit, more accurate, more versatile and more pleasant to use.

i would strongly looking at trying the older RTX3 they have a more forgiving bigger head and V sole that helps compared too the rtx4, but the main issue with the V sole were when you tried opening the face on the tight lie its a problem the CBX and the like even the HI Toes out of the shop are too chunky good luck opening the face on them. Waiting on getting a second hand hi-toe and getting a grinder to the back of it. running Rtx 4 52/mid Rtx58/low Rtx3/64

I’m sold on the CBX2. Can hit any shot I need and they are easy to play. Not a problem to open the face as needed. The 58 degree has answered a lot of questions. Very smooth through impact and consistent distance.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I find it harder to control 75 % shots particularly dispersion get greater. The key with full is just do 95 not 110 :)

But I am now converting to a chip and runner. My cleveland snart sole C being the weapon of choice.

I have the cbx and it frustrates me a bit. Love to come up short. Wonder if I dont just spin it up when adding power which reduces the distance. But it will probably stay in the bag in expense of my SW.

I just switched to CBX2 from PXGs and like them so far. Lots of spin and no problems from both the rough and tight lies. I also found them easier to be easy to hit out bunkers. My experience if you are trying to hit full shots that you might want to consider putting the same shafts that you have in your irons rather than the heavier shafts that come standard in most wedges.

CBX2 would be attractive for someone who hits a lot of basic, square-face pitches and chips. It's a hollow cavity design that offers lots of forgiveness.

RTX4 would be attractive for someone who likes to manipulate the face angle on wedge shots.

That said, both models offer variety: RTX4 has 18 loft-and-sole grind options, spread over four sole grinds. // CBX2 has eight lofts, with the V-sole for PW and GW, the S-sole for SWs, and the C-sole for LWs.

You might have to practice more with the RTX4.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have been gaming the CBX in 46, 52 and 58 degree lofts since they came out. I had RTX wedges previous to that. For me the biggest advantage/improvement I've seen from the CBX is the consistency on full shots in and on 3/4 pitches - I have much better distance control because you can hit it all over the face and still get a good result. I don't find that they lack in performance around the greens either and you can lay them open when you need to as well. I don't care that they don't look like a wedge that a pro would use, they just perform for me and would recommend them to anyone.