Project X Rifle 6.5 - advice needed

Hey all - I know there are older threads related to project x shafts and joint pain but after switching from 6.0s to 6.5s I feel like I'm in a pretty bizarre situation.

To give some background - I've played the same set of irons since 2011 and never had any issues with joint pain of any kind (I'm only 25). My previous set of irons were Nike Vr Pro blades with Project X Rifle 6.0s. When I got this set my driver ss maxed out at around 110 mph but over the years it's crept up to the point where I'm now around 120 - and as my swing has gotten faster I've started having more trouble controlling spin with my irons. I had great results hitting the Project X 6.5s on a simulator, and after worrying it might be a little too much shaft for me I absolutely fell in love with the Ventus Black 6X tipped 1" in my driver as well. When I ordered my new set of 919 Tours, the 6.5s seemed like the most logical shaft choice.

After two range sessions and two rounds with the new irons in a span of four days (which isn't that unusual for me) I started to develop pretty severe pain in my right elbow. The last time that I played was Sunday, at which point my elbow was a little sore (but nothing that felt that unusual for having played a decent amount). However from there things just kept getting worse and worse for no apparent reason and by Monday night it had become so debilitating that I'm now basically unable to move my right arm at all. It's looking like I may have somehow developed extreme cases of golfers elbow and tennis elbow at the same time.

I honestly don't want to believe that this could have anything to do with the irons as overall I thought they performed very well. Still, given the seemingly direct correlation between playing this new set and developing elbow issues that I've never experienced previously, it's hard not to worry that there is some connection even if it's indirect.

Right now the plan is to see if some prosoft inserts will help by reducing vibration - but I am curious to hear if anyone else has had similar issues. I really don't want to give up on these irons but if this is a sign that the 6.5s most likely just aren't going to work for me, I'd like to know sooner rather than later so that I can cut my losses. The whole saga just feels very strange. I've never had any joint issues before and I really liked the 6.0s when my swing speed wasn't quite as high. It doesn't make sense to me that 6.5s would cause me these kinds of problems. Hopefully this means that these issues are just the result of poor swing sequencing and not having a lot of muscle mass for the speed I am/was generating - but it will likely be a while before I can swing a club again and any knowledge/advice that anyone can provide in the meantime would be much appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a similar situation. I have 6.5 soft stepped in the 919 tours. After three or so range sessions my left elbow was sore. O had tendonitis surgery on it 8-9 years ago.

I have since been to the range two more times and the issues has not worsened in fact seems better. . Sounds weird.

This shaft can cause elbow issues for sure. I am contributing my issue to lack of play. Only twice last year.

I know don't want to change as I love the flight. If you can try the Modus 130x. You have the speed for it. I've hit them and they are awesome. Smooth. Don't let the "soft" tip full you. It's only soft compared to the rest of the shaft.

PX causing elbow issues is one of the great WRX-myths.

Likely issue is that the profile itself doesn't match with your swing, and it is making you swing in a way that your body doesn't like, which could happen with any shaft.

?

?

?

?

Cleveland Rtx4 (Raw) 48, 54, 60/Dynamic Gold TI s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

@derednesto one other thing to check is if you changed grip brand / size.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Thanks for the feedback everyone! For the record I'm not blaming the shafts at all - the way they perform for so many others is enough for me to feel confident that the issue is definitely me and my swing. I'm going to take some time to rest and then try work on my strength when I am able. Once I'm back at 100% I'm hoping that issues like this will not persist as I really did like the feel/performance of this setup a lot before my elbow started going haywire.

After seeing a doctor I think the main takeaway from all of this is that I'm far from invincible and need to take my strength/conditioning a little more seriously. Otherwise I suppose injuries like this are somewhat inevitable.

Guys, I feel yalls pain on the elbows. I too, have 6.5s, but I also lift at least 4x a week, pretty heavy. Neither hear nor there, just wanted to add a little nugget that helps me keep my golfers elbow(medial epicondyle) somewhat under control....They are called Freeze Sleeve and they are on sale for Fathers Day fyi. Do yourself a favor and get one!...And no, I dont work for the company LOL.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1824625/exploring-the-modus-130-shaft-bend-profile-edit-120-and-spb-now-included#latest

Good thread on the subject. I have 2 shafts coming this week. Going to hardstep a stiff into a four iron, and softstep an x twice into a 5 iron and compare. 7 iron is around 95-96 i think, typically carry about 175-180 (35 deg)