Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

GolfSwang

These irons will without question be great, but I actually want to acknowledge Srixon for the level of detail they provide on their website for consumers. The comparison chart at the bottom of each of the iron’s respective pages is top notch. While I am not the minister of all things golf equipment, I can’t remember such a well laid out and thorough product comparison to help a prospective consumer make an informed decision on set composition. Well done Srixon!

• Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

1 hour ago, dhen9 said:

Maybe a bit premature but with Mainframe face on ZX5 which claims higher speeds all over and the ZX7 being 1020 (no Mainframe). If doing a combo set would it make sense to make your transition 3-4° instead of 5?

Yeah I hope srixon gives us some guidance on combo'ing these sets (unless they already have and I missed it).  Mizuno did a great video on their whole 921 line and how to mix and match, hoping for similar here.  The lofts in the long and mid irons are pretty similar between zx5 and zx7.

10 minutes ago, anw79 said:

Yeah I hope srixon gives us some guidance on combo'ing these sets (unless they already have and I missed it).  Mizuno did a great video on their whole 921 line and how to mix and match, hoping for similar here.  The lofts in the long and mid irons are pretty similar between zx5 and zx7.

For the 85 series they had a SKU on their site that was a combo set. Both 585/785 and 785/Z Forged. 

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Screenshot_20201117-123655_Chrome.jpg.eea72eb9a1de39aa00e12b73d14ed812.jpg

27 minutes ago, anw79 said:

My thought is at transition point one would either weaken the ZX5 1° or strengthen the ZX7 1°. For instance ZX5 (7 iron) at 31° and ZX7 (8 iron) at 35. I don't carry a 4-5 irons but there are some refs already on Srixon site. 5/7 combo set breaks at the 6 iron with 4,5,6 being 1° weak from std ZX5. That makes sense even with the setup of want of 6,7 ZX5 and 8-A ZX7. Throw in a Zipcore 56-60 and call me Shane Lowry or Hideki Matsuyama. 

Edited by dhen9

Their irons are super easy to combo. Can break wherever you want and it usually only requires bending heads 1 degree one way or the other to maintain 4 degree gaps. Srixon says they expect most players will combo the utilities with the X7 and hybrids with the X5 series, but any kind of combo would work. I think the slimmed down utilities look great. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

28 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

Screenshot_20201117-123655_Chrome.jpg.eea72eb9a1de39aa00e12b73d14ed812.jpg

My thought is at transition point one would either weaken the ZX5 1° or strengthen the ZX7 1°. For instance ZX5 (7 iron) at 31° and ZX7 (8 iron) at 35. I don't carry a 4-5 irons but there are some refs already on Srixon site. 5/7 combo set breaks at the 6 iron with 4,5,6 being 1° weak from std ZX5. That makes sense even with the setup of want of 6,7 ZX5 and 8-A ZX7. Throw in a Zipcore 56-60 and call me Shane Lowry or Hideki Matsuyama. 

Does anyone know how bounce is effected when you add loft or take away loft? 

Edited by DeadPoets

3 hours ago, dhen9 said:

Maybe a bit premature but with Mainframe face on ZX5 which claims higher speeds all over and the ZX7 being 1020 (no Mainframe). If doing a combo set would it make sense to make your transition 3-4° instead of 5?

Yeah you may need 3 degree gap between your last zx5 and first ZX7 iron to get proper gapping. Possibly could get away with 4 degree.  But 5 degree would for sure give you 18-20 yard gap I'd imagine. 

I might need some interweb help. I totally understand that I should go out and test these and get fit. However, it's winter and I'm up for a little speculation.

I play the 565 with the Modus 120 in Stiff. I'm a smooth transition swinger. 7i is my 145 club. I like the weight of the 120, but I'm sure I could gain distance from a lighter shaft.

Big issue, I have elbow problems. I'm looking at making the jump from steel to graphite. The Recoil 95 as the stock graphite offering has me intrigued.

How jacked up is it going to be to jump from a Modus 120 stiff to a 95 Recoil (either stiff or regular)?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

32 minutes ago, blink3665 said:

I might need some interweb help. I totally understand that I should go out and test these and get fit. However, it's winter and I'm up for a little speculation.

I play the 565 with the Modus 120 in Stiff. I'm a smooth transition swinger. 7i is my 145 club. I like the weight of the 120, but I'm sure I could gain distance from a lighter shaft.

Big issue, I have elbow problems. I'm looking at making the jump from steel to graphite. The Recoil 95 as the stock graphite offering has me intrigued.

How jacked up is it going to be to jump from a Modus 120 stiff to a 95 Recoil (either stiff or regular)?

If you have a smooth transition and 7-iron goes 145, you will probably benefit by going to a 95-gram shaft in regular.

• Thanks 1

Can anyone with the new ZX or the previous x85 series irons comment on how Srixon club lengths compare to other OEMs? I know they spec the 5 iron at 38" like most others, but I'm curious if they run a bit on the shorter side like TM and Titleist, or more on the long side like the current Mizunos.

Edited by Natural1

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

On 9/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, blink3665 said:

Found it! Do I win a prize?!?! ?  Obv, it's not a full chart, but it gives a general idea.  I'm sure the JPX chart is in one of the JPX threads, but would you mind sharing it here too? I know a lot of people are anxiously waiting to compare these (mostly me)!

2020-09-10 07_20_42-20_SX_ZX-Irons_Product-Manual_EU.pdf.png

Wait...the blade lengths are longer in the short irons than the long irons?  That seems backwards.

The ZX5 look amazing.  Like the unique new tweak of the v-sole.  If they perform anywhere close to my current Z565 gamers they will be going in the bag.  I’m a single digit handicap and the 565 are the best irons I’ve had in 23 years playing.  Feel, looks, and most importantly, consistent distance control and dispersion.  

4 hours ago, Natural1 said:

Can anyone with the new ZX or the previous x85 series irons comment on how Srixon club lengths compare to other OEMs? I know they spec the 5 iron at 38" like most others, but I'm curious if they run a bit on the shorter side like TM and Titleist, or more on the long side like the current Mizunos.

@Natural1the 785 were exactly 1/4” longer than the T100 I compared them to. Take that fwiw 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bogey69 said:

I'll be pissed if they come out with ZX4's shortly after I get my 5's...kind of like when Ping brought out the G400 MAX after half the world bought the G400...poor timing and soured a lot of people. With no timeframe on the 4's yet, I feel this is a distinct possibility for me

Why not be patient rather than being pissed? They are coming soon from the sound of it 

19 hours ago, Truok said:

You're talking less than 1 mm difference between a 4 iron and PW blade length. I don't know if it would even be noticable they probably all look the same. 

It just seems backwards to me, that's all.  Looking at the Mizuno chart, their irons are the opposite...the 4i blade length is longer than the PW.  I guess I don't completely understand why Srixon does this, but I'm not an expert.

I'd look at other manufacturers to see if there's a commonality, but I don't know of anyone but Mizuno and Srixon that actually publish these measurements (sole and top line thickness, and blade length).

Edited by forrester_fire

I'm interested in the ZX7 or possibly a combo set but Srixon raising the MSRP from $ 999.00 to $ 1299.00 over the Z585-Z785  30% is a bit disappointing.  They definitely lost their 

"Best Bang for the Buck" story.   

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x