Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

GolfSwang

8 minutes ago, knudson81 said:

I know you didn't ask me, but the ZX Utility is a solid choice. Compared to the Titleist U500 it flies higher and is more forgiving. The face seems to carry more ballspeed on off center hits than the U500 and those same shots stay online a little better. With the higher trajectory it is a little harder to flight down than the U500, but you can still get it done. Feel and sound are a touch firmer and just a small click at impact. Sole is wider than the U500, but they both still get through the rough with ease. ZX will dig a touch more in soft turf due to the sharper leading edge, but not so much that I wouldn't play it. 

What loft in the Utility did you try?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, knudson81 said:

I know you didn't ask me, but the ZX Utility is a solid choice. Compared to the Titleist U500 it flies higher and is more forgiving. The face seems to carry more ballspeed on off center hits than the U500 and those same shots stay online a little better. With the higher trajectory it is a little harder to flight down than the U500, but you can still get it done. Feel and sound are a touch firmer and just a small click at impact. Sole is wider than the U500, but they both still get through the rough with ease. ZX will dig a touch more in soft turf due to the sharper leading edge, but not so much that I wouldn't play it. 

Appreciate the info Knudson!

Im good with a higher ball flight. I’m one who could benefit from a little increase.

Mainly for off the T on the shorter par 4s so  not really looking for a lot of roll out.

I’m very surprised at how the ZX blends into the ZX5 and ZX7s, TBH.

I’m actually going to try my Z585 5&6 irons on the Flightscope as well as their top lines are so similar to the new ones and I think they felt great, not clicky for me and a slightly higher ball flight. And I know my yardages with them. I might bag them and bench the ZX7 5&6 irons for the first few rounds to see how they fit in. That’s kinda the reason I didn’t order them in the ZX5s.

I did manage to hit the ZX and the rest, but only in my garage net. It’s difficult to gauge sound indoors but I do like the feel. Didn’t seem harsh by any means. 

We are in restrictions until Jan 14, so hopefully I can find some time in a Flightscope somewhere to compare.

Heres looking forward to a positive 2021 in many ways!

Rox

• Like 1

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

2 hours ago, knudson81 said:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I ask Rox because he is the only person I knew of who had one in hand, but am eager to hear from anyone who has hit them.  Interesting comparison to the U500.  I have not hit it but did own a U510 for a while.  I'm curious what loft you hit in the ZX-U.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fairways_and_sneaker said:

What loft in the Utility did you try?

2 hours ago, Sonja Henie said:

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.  I ask Rox because he is the only person I knew of who had one in hand, but am eager to hear from anyone who has hit them.  Interesting comparison to the U500.  I have not hit it but did own a U510 for a while.  I'm curious what loft you hit in the ZX-U.  

I have the 23* right now and it is a good gap between the ZX7 5i and my 20* hybrid.

• Like 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

On 12/24/2020 at 5:17 AM, jt2gt said:

This says no...not too many head to head comparisons out there yet:

http://coolclubsoz.com.au/blog/srixon-zx7-zx5-v-z785-z585

I say yes, and I found there is quite a bit of difference between the ZX7 and 785.

The ZX7 seems to be quite a bit more forgiving with it's more generous cavity, thicker top line and tungsten in the longer irons.

To my eye the ZX7 is a larger iron in every dimension, which helps with the forgiveness but may not suit the eye of some people looking at this category of clubs.

I also found the 785 to be a bit more workable. 

Edited by bombs
  • Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

Anybody hit the ZX utility 2-iron yet?  I'm set to order my ZX5/7 combo set 4-PW, and debating adding either a 2 or 3 utility iron for a tee option.  Hoping for some guidance whether the 2 is still easy enough to get up in the air or if I should just settle on the 3 and be done with it.  I'm less concerned with proper gapping and more wanting a lower tee shot option.  Also don't want to hit low-spin bombs into the wrong fairway.

8 hours ago, COmedic said:

Anybody hit the ZX utility 2-iron yet?  I'm set to order my ZX5/7 combo set 4-PW, and debating adding either a 2 or 3 utility iron for a tee option.  Hoping for some guidance whether the 2 is still easy enough to get up in the air or if I should just settle on the 3 and be done with it.  I'm less concerned with proper gapping and more wanting a lower tee shot option.  Also don't want to hit low-spin bombs into the wrong fairway.

Have not hit the ZXU yet but I have had the previous version 2 iron (U85) in my bag for a while now and it's one of my favorite clubs. I don't have any problems getting it in the air and it's my most accurate club off the tee according to ShotScope. 

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

I asked them.  Heads are apparently the same, just different stock shaft options I believe.  

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

12 hours ago, Mob said:

I asked them.  Heads are apparently the same, just different stock shaft options I believe.  

12 hours ago, ReidThompson said:

Thanks sir!

I’m in Japan for a spell.  Stock shaft in ZX5 is Modus 105 and ZX7 is Modus 120.  They also have some lighter weight Nippon models as stock.  I spent quite a bit of time hitting them the other day.  I have a moderate swing speed and had NO trouble launching the ZX7 7i to proper height and as a bonus it flew a bit further with tighter dispersion.  Pretty sure I don’t swing hard enough that the shaft mattered that much in the equation.  In any case, Modus 105 tends to fit me better than Modus 120 so the advantage should have been to the ZX5 anyway.

As an aside, the hybrids also come stock with a Nippon steel shaft option (950 GH I seem to recall).  It is about 1/2” longer than equivalent iron which makes it about 1-1/2” shorter than typical graphite shafted hybrid.  Short story - it was glorious.  I asked The team at Discount Dan’s if it could be ordered from US vendor with steel shaft (Modus 105) and they said ‘no’.

BL - for those thinking combo, in my moderate swing speed average ball striker fir a 4ish hdcp opinion, I’d start ZX7 with 7i for sure and perhaps even 6i.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Why do they only offer the recoil in 95 and not 110, even with upcharge?  Is that common with manufacturers?  Is the 110 version that uncommon/rare?

Also, why does the shaft list previously listed show the recoil as being an upcharge?  I read on a review that the recoil was the stock option in graphite.  You have to pay an upcharge for a stock graphite shaft?  Or was that shaft list not for north america?

Edited by Murdock

On 12/30/2020 at 1:21 PM, fairways_and_sneaker said:

Some more details...

Yes...steelfiber’s: i110 CW’s S flex.  5 iron thru 60*.  Have used Recoil 110’s for past few seasons but have been experimenting with steelfiber’s and c taper lites this fall/winter.  Recoils have gone a little too left on more aggressive swings so hoping for good things with the Steelfiber’s.

New zip core head shapes are very good...my wedge set up is...stock PW at 45, zip core 48 bent to 50 (I prefer a smaller head shape of 48 than the zip core 50), 54 bent to 55 and a 60.  

Coming soon...ZX4 4 iron...22* tour AD DI 85 X hybrid shaft...

Somewhat off topic but curious your feedback on the steelfiber i110 versus recoil 110 vs c-taper.  I've played the recoil 110 F5 and loved it, also currently playing ctaper s+ (regular not lite), so kind of similar to what you've been testing. 

Have consistent elbow tendon/ligament issues due to a life of playing various sports that are notoriously hard on elbow joints (weightlifting, surfing, tennis and golfing) and the recoils did seem to help a little bit.  Can definitely feel it in the elbow after a few days of beating balls at the range with the c-taper (although not as bad as DG or PX I must say).

I'm really torn on whether to go with full set ZX5, ZX7, or combo with zx, ZX5 and ZX7.  Hoping a local big box stores has these to demo soon, if not already!  Did game a full set of 545s back in the day, but my game has progressed significantly since then...but by no means am I ready for a full players iron/blade. 

36 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Somewhat off topic but curious your feedback on the steelfiber i110 versus recoil 110 vs c-taper.  I've played the recoil 110 F5 and loved it, also currently playing ctaper s+ (regular not lite), so kind of similar to what you've been testing. 

Have consistent elbow tendon/ligament issues due to a life of playing various sports that are notoriously hard on elbow joints (weightlifting, surfing, tennis and golfing) and the recoils did seem to help a little bit.  Can definitely feel it in the elbow after a few days of beating balls at the range with the c-taper (although not as bad as DG or PX I must say).

I'm really torn on whether to go with full set ZX5, ZX7, or combo with zx, ZX5 and ZX7.  Hoping a local big box stores has these to demo soon, if not already!  Did game a full set of 545s back in the day, but my game has progressed significantly since then...but by no means am I ready for a full players iron/blade. 

TBH too early to advise on the steelfiber’s.  Hoping they are the ideal middle ground between Recoils and C Taper lite’s.  TBD.  With regard to the ZX5, ZX7 dilemma...IMO, BIG fan of both models but I have to say the ZX5 is just so user friendly off of the grass from all types of lies.  The extra tech in them really helps across the board.  I’ve always appreciated more ‘help” in the long irons so opting for a combo set was an easy choice for me.  Higher swing speed players who don’t need more height, more forgiveness or have a history with blades will most likely prefer the ZX7.  

Ultimately, I highly recommend trying both models out with a knowledgeable fitter and ideally trying them on grass: that’s where they shine and differentiate the most.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:40 PM, knudson81 said:

This is Outstanding news and exactly what I had hoped

I have been hanging on to a U65 waiting for a worthy replacement - tried U85 and U510 and Callaway options....none flew with the same ease, ballspeed and dispersion 

Pumped about the ZX in a 2 iron then right into the ZX5 4 iron 

I decided to go ZX7 across the board, 5-pw. If I have trouble with 5 or 6 iron, then I can always order a zx5 for that club. 

I have recently done a shaft fitting, and the steel fibers always give me the best numbers from a dispersion standpoint. I also played them for a couple of seasons and found them to be very straight and helped me with fighting my pull hook. I don’t know why I switched away from them, but I am looking forward to going back to them with this set of irons..

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

3 hours ago, Morry said:

This is Outstanding news and exactly what I had hoped

I have been hanging on to a U65 waiting for a worthy replacement - tried U85 and U510 and Callaway options....none flew with the same ease, ballspeed and dispersion 

Pumped about the ZX in a 2 iron then right into the ZX5 4 iron 

Why are you trying to replace the U65 that you hit with ease with ballspeed and dispersion ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

Thinking about ordering a set of ZX5s.  I had 565s in the past - and liked them.  Since then I have been in Cobra Forged Tec gen 1, P790s and currently the Cobra Forged Tec 2020 One Length. But I am ready to go back to a standard set I think, and the ZX5s look great.  But I was also thinking bout the Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro.  I know I should got hit both -- but come on, I am a WRX'er and yo-yo around with clubs all the time.

Hell ... I even bought an Autoflex shaft to check it out ...

I need help with my striking - but I do enjoy a nice "soft" or "muted" feel on a good strike.  I would play to probably use C-Taper Lite or DG AMT Whites as my shaft of choice.  I am not sure where I can "pre-order" so I would be happy to get a suggestion.

For those wondering -- I am thinking of leaving One Length because I find the ball speeds on the 4i - 5i to be a bit tougher to get right.  I actually love the "short" irons in 7i length as my misses usually carry really well, and they play great from the rough.  But the longer irons are (paradoxically) challenging because you lose some head speed due to the shorter shaft.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

21 hours ago, Mob said:

I decided to go ZX7 across the board, 5-pw. If I have trouble with 5 or 6 iron, then I can always order a zx5 for that club. 

I have recently done a shaft fitting, and the steel fibers always give me the best numbers from a dispersion standpoint. I also played them for a couple of seasons and found them to be very straight and helped me with fighting my pull hook. I don’t know why I switched away from them, but I am looking forward to going back to them with this set of irons..

VERY interested in the steelfiber experience ......I fight hook and been bouncing between modus 105-x and TT AMT-white......what model would you recommend and please tell me more ...thanks

19 hours ago, bunta said:

Why are you trying to replace the U65 that you hit with ease with ballspeed and dispersion ?

Obviously....... hoping technology advancements over that last 4-5 years would yield an even hotter, more balanced and optimized face to leapfrog the U65 performance...

the U85 just wasn't able to do that 

2 hours ago, Morry said:

VERY interested in the steelfiber experience ......I fight hook and been bouncing between modus 105-x and TT AMT-white......what model would you recommend and please tell me more ...thanks

I can't say that this would be true for another individual, but it is with my swing.  I feel that I can swing alittle more aggressively with the steelfiber shaft, with alittle less risk of pulling the ball.  Again, if club face angle is closed at impact and path is to the right of the target (I am left handed), then no shaft is going to prevent that pull. I don't know if the shaft actually has any "anti-pull" properties based on it's configuration, or it just matches my swing and reduces the likelihood of me creating that swing.  I would recommend doing a shaft fitting, before spending the additional money on these shafts.  I like the feel of them, but not everyone does.   Some people say that they have a dead feel to them.  The Fuji pros definitely have a more lively feel, but I like the muted feel of the steelfibers.  I moved away from them, because the Fuji Pro Tour Spec were alittle longer, and do a alittle better job at absorbing vibrations than the steelfiber.  I have elbow tendonitis, so this is the main reason I switched.  I recently got back on the launch monitor with my club builder/fitter here in Indy (True Clubs), and all the key numbers (spin, launch angle, and dispersion) were better with the steelfiber.  Total distance was 3-5 yards better with the Fuji Pro.  This fitting session mirrors my playing experience with both shafts, so I am going back to the steelfibers, as dispersion is the most important factor for me.  I have also changed my swing recently, and as a result I am launching the ball lower, and getting more roll out on the green.  The steelfibers have a little more spin, so they will help mitigate this issue.  Steelfibers play on the stiffer end of the flex spectrum for a "stiff shaft".  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

LEFT HANDED

Srixon continues to impress with their iron lineup. The 765/565 combo is the best i ever had and as an Iron Ho I am very surprised i have not upgraded yet. But as usual with WRX and all the positive reviews the x5/x7 are definitely on the list. Anyone else go directly from the 765, skip the 785 and go with X7? thanks and happy new year

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg

3 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Srixon continues to impress with their iron lineup. The 765/565 combo is the best i ever had and as an Iron Ho I am very surprised i have not upgraded yet. But as usual with WRX and all the positive reviews the x5/x7 are definitely on the list. Anyone else go directly from the 765, skip the 785 and go with X7? thanks and happy new year

Me.

Can’t wait to order mine online on Wednesday, especially at such a good price! Loved my 785’s and I expect these to be even that much better

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

On 1/2/2021 at 1:53 PM, J-Zone said:

Me.

why did u switch?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg