Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sooooooooooooo, I apologize in advance for any financial decisions that have to be made as a result of this post. First swing with the gap wedge. ......  

Just got these back and glued them up last night. Maybe the first set of Srixon ZX7 in raw that anyone has in the world right now? Love that they are starting to darken already and can't wait to put t

Probably got even stranger looks when ya took the sharpie to their wood floors.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, ReidThompson said:

How do you do that? 

PS - Big fan of the pod. 

Reid 

Thank you, appreciate the listens! Not a DIY job, I took these to a local chrome plating place who does a lot of automotive work. They stripped them down in less than a week and no shipping time or money.

1785212142_CJPSignatureV2.png.8a958a3abbd6c7ef38ba6ca84d08fb97.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify

6 minutes ago, knudson81 said:

Thank you, appreciate the listens! Not a DIY job, I took these to a local chrome plating place who does a lot of automotive work. They stripped them down in less than a week and no shipping time or money.

Our pleasure!  Please revisit down the road for updated pics!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, knudson81 said:

Just got these back and glued them up last night. Maybe the first set of Srixon ZX7 in raw that anyone has in the world right now? Love that they are starting to darken already and can't wait to put them in play!

IMG_1514.jpg.21b098327cba58c8131dfe504af7e579.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg.78390ec85ec04dc098495b0c1e6b0cc7.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg.e0a18f9fd58b00ac2b99f6446246aef8.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg.6e0c164266debc8f75e94d8835148d03.jpg

MEOW!!!!

Great look on those!

Rox

Edited by roxald
  • Like 1

Veterans Reporting for the 2021 season:

Ping G20 9.5°/KuroKage Silver 60X<br  />917f2 16.5/Diamana Blue 75X<br />917F2 18/Ahina 82X<br/>Cobra Speedzone 19° Hybrid/NV Green 90S<br />Bridgestone 4-PW J15CBs/Tour Elevate 120 VSS X-Stiff<br />Cobra King Tour MiM Gap Wedge/AMT Wedge Black>SM8 54°
D Grind /KBS Tour S and 60°RTX-4 Black bent time 59°/KBS Tour S<br />Taylormade Spyder S Blue<br />Bridgestone R-XS

Rookie Tryouts for spring training:

Tsi2 9.0/KuroKage Silver 60X TiNi

ZX U3/modus 105X<br />ZX5 4-iron/$-Taper 125<br />5-PW ZX7/$-Taper 125<br />Z585 5 & 6/Tour Elevate VSS X-Stiff

2 minutes ago, Murdock said:

For those with the ZX7's, and using the set GW, how are you gapping your wedges?  Or are you using a different gap wedge to bridge the gap (pun intended). 

The split between PW (45) and GW (51) is 6 degrees, which seems like an unnecessarily large gap.  But, I may be wrong on that and maybe every players iron has a 6 degree gap between those wedges.  

Curious to know this as well. Also 51 seems like a strange number to pick. 50 is a very reasonable GW loft and transitions so nicely into a 54 and 58 after that.

Perhaps it "works" because they are both the same length? Would a OTR 50 deg specialty wedge actually be a bit shorter? 

Edited by KParks

I have a 50° and 54 degree ping glide 2.0 wedge. The 46° pitching wedge in the set is it the perfect transition.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9 degree driver with LAGP Trono 65 stiff shaft
Callaway Mavrik 15 degree fwy with Ventus Blue 70 stiff shaft
PXG Gen2 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Fuji Pro 2.0 8 stiff shaft
Srixon zx7 5-pw with Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts
Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
PM19 60 degree raw wedge
TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe

43 minutes ago, Murdock said:

For those with the ZX7's, and using the set GW, how are you gapping your wedges?  Or are you using a different gap wedge to bridge the gap (pun intended). 

The split between PW (45) and GW (51) is 6 degrees, which seems like an unnecessarily large gap.  

You can always have custom specs. Bend PW 1 weak, bend GW 1 strong. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MMB1500 said:

I am still playing the 745s. It's time for a change and I was going to wait to see what Ping bring out, but I'm almost certain the ZX5s will be my next set.

Every review I've read says they are outstanding and I could use the extra forgiveness. Of course I'll test them first but they do look very, very good. 

I went and finally was able to see and demo the irons today.  Many other members have commented on the fact that they didn't notice any loss of forgiveness with the ZX7.  I agree, but also one thing I noticed is that with the demo 7 iron of both the ZX5 and ZX7, my distances were ultra accurate with the ZX7 where as with the ZX5 they seemed to vary much more.  Out of 10 shots, I had the ZX7 within ~2 yards of each other, even on somewhat poorly struck shots.  The ZX5 had a spread of ~8 yards.  Also, the distances between the two were pretty close, with the slight distance advantage being with the ZX5.  The really off center shots with the ZX7 appeared to get punished worse, but that was hard to tell with my limited sample size.  

Another thing I noticed when comparing my gamers to the ZX7 at address, is they had similar overall blade length (at least really close), but the ZX7 had more actual face area, because the grooves/face extended towards the toe about a 1/4" more

Granted, I had different shafts in each (PX LZ 6.5 in ZX7, AMT Tour White S300 in ZX5) which may explain the difference.  But I'm thinking it's more with the spring steel face, off center shots with the ZX5 were much different than flushed shots, where with the 1 piece ZX7, being off by a hair didn't matter too much.  My gamers, which are Bridgestone HF2 (another multi piece construction) showed the same variance as the ZX5.  Honestly, first time I've noticed that with my gamers, but reflecting on past rounds it makes sense.  I also don't use a real deal launch monitor regularly, although I have a Mevo and probably should now that I observed those differences....

But, I was truly impressed with the consistency of the ZX7.  For me, as a guy who's trying to get into the single digits HC, the ZX7 consistency wins for me.  I can be okay with losing 5 yards in distance as long as I know how far each shot goes (with ZX7).

Just my impressions, from a low teens HC'r, so YMMV

Edited by Murdock
Addt observation
  • Like 3

Had the zx5’s for a few rounds and range sessions.  For me as mid single HC they’re great.  Coming from i210s - about a club longer, feel is close, no issue with distance consistency.  Didn’t even attempt to look at the 7’s as they’re smaller than 785s and all the reviews I read/watched beforehand didn’t think I would gain much with a combo set being the hack that I am. 

1 hour ago, txboomboom said:

Had the zx5’s for a few rounds and range sessions.  For me as mid single HC they’re great.  Coming from i210s - about a club longer, feel is close, no issue with distance consistency.  Didn’t even attempt to look at the 7’s as they’re smaller than 785s and all the reviews I read/watched beforehand didn’t think I would gain much with a combo set being the hack that I am. 

Are you getting enough spin with the ZX5's?  Sold my P790's b/c I couldn't spin them enough and they weren't holding greens the way I wanted them to.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 17.5*
Ping G410 Hybrid 21*
TaylorMade DHY 4i
Srixon ZX5 5i - AW

Titleist Vokey SM8 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade

Vessel Lite Lux

11 minutes ago, jjl said:

Are you getting enough spin with the ZX5's?  Sold my P790's b/c I couldn't spin them enough and they weren't holding greens the way I wanted them to.  

I know this is stated a lot, but a fitting will give you the right answer. Worth the $100 I spent. ZX5 spun way too much for me, esp with the stock Modus shaft. I couldn't get the ZX5 to NOT spin too much no matter what shaft I tried but obviously that's my swing and I don't have an optimal swing by any stretch of the imagination. 

• Like 1

Cobra SpeedZone Extreme Tour Length
Cobra F9 3-4W 14.5
Srixon ZXU 18 2 Iron

Srixon H85 4 hybrid
Srixon ZX7 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 4 50, 56, 62
Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5
Titleist ProV1 | Vice Pro
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder

MNML Golf Bag

13 hours ago, Murdock said:

I went and finally was able to see and demo the irons today.  Many other members have commented on the fact that they didn't notice any loss of forgiveness with the ZX7.  I agree, but also one thing I noticed is that with the demo 7 iron of both the ZX5 and ZX7, my distances were ultra accurate with the ZX7 where as with the ZX5 they seemed to vary much more.  Out of 10 shots, I had the ZX7 within ~2 yards of each other, even on somewhat poorly struck shots.  The ZX5 had a spread of ~8 yards.  Also, the distances between the two were pretty close, with the slight distance advantage being with the ZX5.  The really off center shots with the ZX7 appeared to get punished worse, but that was hard to tell with my limited sample size.  

Another thing I noticed when comparing my gamers to the ZX7 at address, is they had similar overall blade length (at least really close), but the ZX7 had more actual face area, because the grooves/face extended towards the toe about a 1/4" more

Granted, I had different shafts in each (PX LZ 6.5 in ZX7, AMT Tour White S300 in ZX5) which may explain the difference.  But I'm thinking it's more with the spring steel face, off center shots with the ZX5 were much different than flushed shots, where with the 1 piece ZX7, being off by a hair didn't matter too much.  My gamers, which are Bridgestone HF2 (another multi piece construction) showed the same variance as the ZX5.  Honestly, first time I've noticed that with my gamers, but reflecting on past rounds it makes sense.  I also don't use a real deal launch monitor regularly, although I have a Mevo and probably should now that I observed those differences....

But, I was truly impressed with the consistency of the ZX7.  For me, as a guy who's trying to get into the single digits HC, the ZX7 consistency wins for me.  I can be okay with losing 5 yards in distance as long as I know how far each shot goes (with ZX7).

Just my impressions, from a low teens HC'r, so YMMV

so do you think the zx7 are just as easy to hit as the zx5? Would a high handicap player be able to game the zx7 ok after some work with them?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ with XStiff Fujikura Pro 63. [Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"]

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting or 2 DI:  PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 2.5* upright

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

so do you think the zx7 are just as easy to hit as the zx5? Would a high handicap player be able to game the zx7 ok after some work with them?

Think this depends on you and your swing dynamics.  I definitely noticed that sub optimal shots on the ZX7 (my miss is toe side) definitely flew much shorter (~10 yrds) than the same mishit on the ZX5's.  

I wish I would have taken a photo of it, but based on my eyes, I could not tell a difference between the ZX5 and ZX7 at address with the demo 7-iron.  I was however looking at them indoors, under sub-optimal lighting conditions.  But, blade length, topline, etc. looked exactly the same.  Smidge more offset with the ZX5, but not huge amount.  Sole width was noticeably different though.  Srixon posted specs say the ZX5 is around 1mm longer, with 0.5mm more offset and a 3mm wider sole.  

I'd say go to your local shop and give them a whirl and see which one works best.  Or could always do it WRX style and buy both sets and then sell the one you don't like 😉