Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

GolfSwang

I had a chance to get the range session I needed with the ZX5s to feel comfortable with them.   It wasn't ideal conditions as it rained pretty hard this morning. It cleared up, but is was very windy again.  (30mph blowing downwind).

Unlike yesterday where I was so anxious to  hit them that I was admittedly rushing each chance, I took my time with them today.  I'd say the biggest difference between the 565 and ZX5 is they feel more firm at impact.  Where the 565s felt very soft (especially with GH980 shafts), I would describe impact as 'solid'.  It feels like it's hotter off the face, if that makes any sense.   They were just as easy to hit as the 565s. The shots I missed off the sweet spot still flew a good distance.  The v-sole is still fantastic.   I was hitting off very wet lies.  There were shots I felt I came in slighly heavy still had great results.

The ZX5 short irons do have a wider sole than the 565.  I played PING G25 before this, so it's not a big deal.  But I can see where some folks would want to go with the ZX7 in the shorter irons.  

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

7 minutes ago, mantan said:

I had a chance to get the range session I needed with the ZX5s to feel comfortable with them.   It wasn't ideal conditions as it rained pretty hard this morning. It cleared up, but is was very windy again.  (30mph blowing downwind).

Unlike yesterday where I was so anxious to  hit them that I was admittedly rushing each chance, I took my time with them today.  I'd say the biggest difference between the 565 and ZX5 is they feel more firm at impact.  Where the 565s felt very soft (especially with GH980 shafts), I would describe impact as 'solid'.  It feels like it's hotter off the face, if that makes any sense.   They were just as easy to hit as the 565s. The shots I missed off the sweet spot still flew a good distance.  The v-sole is still fantastic.   I was hitting off very wet lies.  There were shots I felt I came in slighly heavy still had great results.

The ZX5 short irons do have a wider sole than the 565.  I played PING G25 before this, so it's not a big deal.  But I can see where some folks would want to go with the ZX7 in the shorter irons.  

The soles are surprisingly wide for the ZX5 and made me switch my 4/5 from ZX5 to ZX7. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, youngunz5840 said:

That’s rough. Just got shipping notice on my set. Looks like all the irons but I told them to soft step the pw

I think we ordered the same set. Still waiting patiently for the tracking information and shipping 😞 The rare SoCal rain this weekend has made the wait a bit more bearable....

I was able to hit the ZX5 and ZX7 today. Was hitting into a 25 mph wind, and that exaggerated the difference in flight. ZX7 had a much lower piercing trajectory.

I went ahead and ordered a split set. 5-7 for the ZX5 and 8-PW for ZX7.

I wanted the help with getting the ball up with the longer clubs. 

1 hour ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

Anybody here put 921 Tours /Forged or Pro Combo against ZX7/5’s?

Insterested to gear people take on dispersion. 

length heel to toe comparison?

Posted this in the other thread:

I have had 921F, 921T and now have ZX7.  I am a good golfer now that I don't work as a top fitter anymore, for reference. 😜

I would rank them like this:

Forgiveness: 921F - ZX7 - 921T (921F I would say is very similar to ZX5 with ZX7 fairly close, 921T are a ways down the scale and found them to spin a lot)

Looks: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Obviously subjective but the ZX7 are just about perfect to me)

Feel: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Not even close in my opinion) 

If you are super shallow (as in never take a divot) you might get along better with the 921T but outside that it's hard to go against Srixon.  I am a big fan of Srixon and have been for a long time.  I was sad the day I had to sell my 745s because I became a fitter for Kaboom Baby and had to play that Gen2 nonsense. 😅

• Like 2

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

1 hour ago, Masse1369 said:

Posted this in the other thread:

I have had 921F, 921T and now have ZX7.  I am a good golfer now that I don't work as a top fitter anymore, for reference. 😜

I would rank them like this:

Forgiveness: 921F - ZX7 - 921T (921F I would say is very similar to ZX5 with ZX7 fairly close, 921T are a ways down the scale and found them to spin a lot)

Looks: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Obviously subjective but the ZX7 are just about perfect to me)

Feel: ZX7 - 921T - 921F (Not even close in my opinion) 

If you are super shallow (as in never take a divot) you might get along better with the 921T but outside that it's hard to go against Srixon.  I am a big fan of Srixon and have been for a long time.  I was sad the day I had to sell my 745s because I became a fitter for Kaboom Baby and had to play that Gen2 nonsense. 😅

Wow. Great and thank you for reposting. I’m surprised that the 7s are so much more forgiving.  

amazing that those who have tried the x7 find them so forgiving. My 765 are forgiving but the 565 is much more forgiving so this set is obviously a major upgrade. Now im considering a full set of x7

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

4 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

amazing that those who have tried the x7 find them so forgiving. My 765 are forgiving but the 565 is much more forgiving so this set is obviously a major upgrade. Now im considering a full set of x7

From my experience I'd say if you need higher launch then the ZX5 should be a consideration. That seemed to be the biggest difference for me...I hit some 6 irons with certain shafts where the ball traveled off the screen (the ball flight line from Trackman) lol. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Getting fit on Wednesday for ZX7s.

Looking forward to it, and I'll post back with my results and thoughts.

• Like 2

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

29 minutes ago, COmedic said:

They’re special, give the $-tapers a chance if available. 

Will do! I get along well with the normal KBS Tour S or S+, so those may work out.

I have seen some trends of the ZX7s being on the lower spinning side, so I may go with something a bit softer and higher spin.

I will probably also bend 5 to 9 one degree weak, but we'll see.

Edited by ^m9
  • Like 1

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

That was my thinking in getting the 565s.  I bought them when the 585s were launched from an eBay dealer who was selling NIB 565 and 765 sets.  They accidently sent me the 765s. They told me I to hit them to see if I liked them, if not I could send them back and get the 765s. They felt great...but there was a bit less forgiving in the long irons.  I went with the 565s that were noticeably more forgiving and felt good in their own right.

To be honest, the ZX7s looked smaller and less forgiving than I remembered the 765s being.  I figured they were too much iron and didn't even try them.   But it sounds like they really are very forgiving.  

If I did it all over again, i might got a combo set...

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

8 hours ago, AtlantaGolf3 said:

Anybody here put 921 Tours /Forged or Pro Combo against ZX7/5’s?

Insterested to gear people take on dispersion. 

length heel to toe comparison?

I own a set of ZX7's and 921 Tours. 

ZX7's are significantly more playable in terms of forgiveness on off centered strikes. They also feel softer. 

Tours look nicer and provide more feedback. Blade lengths are similar, but ZX7 topline is thicker. 

Since putting the ZX7's in the bag I have not thought twice about going back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

5 hours ago, bombs said:

I own a set of ZX7's and 921 Tours. 

ZX7's are significantly more playable in terms of forgiveness on off centered strikes. They also feel softer. 

Tours look nicer and provide more feedback. Blade lengths are similar, but ZX7 topline is thicker. 

Since putting the ZX7's in the bag I have not thought twice about going back. 

This is why I went with the ZX7s....  Mine came in last Tuesday and they look fantastic but it's 28 degrees here so I'm not sure when I'll get to play them. I don't expect them to 

be as forgiving as my OnOff Kuro irons but they should be playable for a man of my ball striking skills 😜

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I only have the 7s through the 7 iron but I find them as forgiving as any iron I have tried until you get to the SGI realm. They just get through the turf so easily and even mores than the wider soled 5s. I feel I could easily game them through the 4 iron on the forgiveness scale but they do launch significantly lower than the 5s I have in the 5-6 iron. The ZX5s are just so easy to get up in the air. The ZX Utility I have in the 4 iron again brings launch down again more than the 5s but it is so easy to hit and long. Its a flatter ball flight and I have to count for that when using it into greens. Very happy how I broke my set up and looking forward to spring so I can get back to my preferred tees where I will use my ZX5s more on the par 3s and second shots. Playing up right now due to weather and soggy conditions and rarely ever pull those clubs.

I'm looking to try a combo set of ZX7 / ZX5 for next season, and too lazy to read 52 pages ( I read the last 5 pages though )

For those that demo'd  in a Sim or on a range / course, how much further carry were you getting with the ZX5 vs ZX7 7-irons ?  I know there will be a difference in feel, launch, turf interaction,  but I'm curious how that extra 1* stronger loft and launch characteristics of the ZX5 7i translates to distance over the ZX7 7i.  Were you guys seeing a half-club gain, or more, or less ? Thanks !

Edited by ARL67

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

3 minutes ago, ARL67 said:

I'm looking to try a combo set of ZX7 / ZX5 for next season, and too lazy to read 52 pages ( I read the last 5 pages though )

For those that demo'd  in a Sim or on a range / course, how much further carry were you getting with the ZX5 vs ZX7 7-irons ?  I know there will be a difference in feel, launch, turf interaction,  but I'm curious how that extra 1* stronger loft and launch characteristics of the ZX5 7i translates to distance over the ZX7 7i.  Were you guys seeing a half-club gain, or more, or less ? Thanks !

I got fit yesterday for these exact. I was hitting the zx5 6 iron 180 and the zx7 7 175. I ordered the zx5 4-6 1 weak. 

zx5 launched a little higher but spun less. 1 weak should gap perfect for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARL67 said:

Not further. They get there in different ways.

5’s - launch higher, peak higher and spin a bit less

7’s - launch lower, peak lower, spin a bit more, but still lower

Edited by J-Zone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine came in last week, about 5 week build time. They are sweet.  I got 5-AW ZX5 w/ Modus 120 S, 1* upright, 4 Iron ZX w/ AD DI 85, ZX 3 wood w/ AD DI 6S and ZX5 Driver with AD-DI 6s. All mcc plus 4 align grips. Great looking and all the swingweights come in right at D3.5- D4 with those shafts and grips.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mantan said:

To be honest, the ZX7s looked smaller and less forgiving than I remembered the 765s being.  I figured they were too much iron and didn't even try them.   But it sounds like they really are very forgiving.  

I hit my 765s while testing the zx5/7. The zx7 was just as forgiving as the 765; I don't think one was more forgiving than the other.

2 hours ago, ARL67 said:

For those that demo'd  in a Sim or on a range / course, how much further carry were you getting with the ZX5 vs ZX7 7-irons

I was getting about 3 mph difference on ball speed on well struck shots. If I had to guess, I think half of it was head design and half of it was the loft difference. 

Edited by Go Horns!

3 minutes ago, Go Horns! said:

I hit my 765s while testing the zx5/7. The zx7 was just as forgiving as the 765; I don't think one was more forgiving than the other.

I was getting about 3 mph difference on ball speed on well struck shots. If I had to guess, I think half of it was head design and half of it was the loft difference. 

I can't give a like based on user name alone.....  🙂

Boomer Sooner!

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

10 minutes ago, mktrout said:

Mine came in last week, about 5 week build time. They are sweet.  I got 5-AW ZX5 w/ Modus 120 S, 1* upright, 4 Iron ZX w/ AD DI 85, ZX 3 wood w/ AD DI 6S and ZX5 Driver with AD-DI 6s. All mcc plus 4 align grips. Great looking and all the swingweights come in right at D3.5- D4 with those shafts and grips.

I'm ordering the X5's 5-aw.  Could you tell me is the aw a cavity back or a blade style?  Thought I read somewhere it's a CB.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, dalillama47 said:

I'm ordering the X5's 5-aw.  Could you tell me is the aw a cavity back or a blade style?  Thought I read somewhere it's a CB.

Almost positive it’s a cavity. It has been for the 545s, 65s and 85s. The 7 series gap wedge is more of a blade, although it does have a small cavity as well. 

Ping G 400 Max 9 degree w/ Proforce VTS Black 7s
Cobra F7 14.5 degree w/ Elements Chrome 7s
Cleveland Classic 18 degree hybrid w/ Fuji Fuel 95s
4-PW Srixon 585 and 785 AW w/ nippon modus 120,
Cleveland RTX4 54 and 58 w/ nippon modus 125 wedge shaft
Putter: Evnroll ER2 35'
Ball: TM TP5x or Pro V1x

I go into my office just to pull out my zx7's and swing them.  Snow on the ground here; not sure I can wait to hit these again.  I have a golf trip coming up in 6 weeks, that will be the first time I get to hit them again.  These irons are just beautiful and the feel at impact, from 2 rounds of play, is as good as any iron I have hit including Miura (maybe only second to the Epon AF-302).

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft