Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sooooooooooooo, I apologize in advance for any financial decisions that have to be made as a result of this post. First swing with the gap wedge. ......  

Just got these back and glued them up last night. Maybe the first set of Srixon ZX7 in raw that anyone has in the world right now? Love that they are starting to darken already and can't wait to put t

Probably got even stranger looks when ya took the sharpie to their wood floors.

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

What is the comparable model to the Z565s? Would it be a worthy upgrade? 

The ZX5...and yes, worth the upgrade.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Max LS w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HD 6s

Fairway Wood: Ping G410 5 wood w/ Project X EvenFlow Black

Hybrid: Ping G410 19* w/ Tensei Pro Orange

Irons: Srixon ZX7 w/ Nippon Modus 115 LE Black Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland ZipCore Raw 51/56/62 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

13 hours ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

What is the comparable model to the Z565s? Would it be a worthy upgrade? 

I went from the 565s to the ZX5s. I would say it's an evolution more than a big jump.  The 565s feel a bit softer at impact. I wouldn't call the ZX5s clicky, but they have a solid/springy feel though impact.  The ZX5s have a noticeably wider sole than the 565s.  My 565s had the GH980 shaft and the ZX5s have the Modus 105s.  The GH980s launch the ball really high, but they don't balloon at all.  The 5 and 6 irons came in at a trajectory that would just stick.  The 105s launch slightly lower and feel a bit different, but not in a bad way.

I got my 565s at the end of the cycle, so they were only 2 years go.  But the ZX5s were so damn gorgeous that I just wanted them in the bag. 

A lot of people say the ZX7s are super forgiving and they are worth considering...or getting a combo set.  I didn't hit the ZX7s, but they looked noticeably more demanding.  (A lot of people say they are more forgiving than they look.)  For a hot minute I wondered if I should have gotten a combo set as the ZX5 short iron soles are fairly wide.  But in the 3 rounds and multiple range sessions, the short irons were just fine.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 3

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

Does anyone have the ZX7 AW? Any pics? Would love to see if from address next to the PW and the Zipcore or RTX4 wedge.

My 50 degree RTX4 and I are not getting along at the moment. Considering alternatives 

Edited by anth
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
Srixon Z 785/Z-Forged 5 - PW
Cleveland RTX-4 Mid Grind 50 54 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
TaylorMade TP5X

8 hours ago, mantan said:

The 565s feel a bit softer at impact. I wouldn't call the ZX5s click, but they have a solid/springy feel though impact.  The ZX5s have a noticeably wider sole than the 565s.

This is why I am sticking to my 565's for now.  Srixon has a winning release this cycle, and kudos to all of the new Srixon owners coming over from other OEM's.

• Like 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

On 2/16/2021 at 1:17 PM, braincramp52 said:

For me, the Srixons are the best combination of distance and feel I've ever hit. I like a smaller profile but I need some forgiveness. Feel and sound is second to none. Super soft. My Wilson V6's are soft but there isn't a lot of room to miss. ZX5 is a club longer but it's a stronger lofted iron. I hit some off the toe and lost about 5 yards. The 21 Callaway Apex performed about the same but didn't have the same feel.

I succumbed to wrx peer pressure (and desire for new irons) - zx7 6-AW, Recoil 95 F4 + 1/2”. 

Hard to tell a lot indoors and sim wasn’t ideal but relative to my Legacy Blacks, same great feel, heads are just the right size for me, maybe even a little better feel, lol, my beloved Recoils work great in these. I did try an F3 - not great. I am going with midsize Tour Velvets. They just happened to have that on the + 1/2 shaft and it’s promising to take just a little more pressure off my elbow. Bought the AW on spec since they aren’t apparently readily available to demo - no idea when they’ll show up but moved 4” of snow yesterday so they can take their time. 

wrx - Enablers Central, lol. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

One example out of thousands answers that?

Good point, I should have phrased that better.  Mistakes are bound to happen, and do even in times of normal volume.  But, from my own past experience when you're burning the candle at both ends trying to get things done, it wears on you mentally and physically and has the potential for a lapse in QC.  

Sounded inflammatory, which was probably more a direct result of my frustration getting in touch with them, so I now see it came across wrong.  Personally, I've only had excellent builds from them.  My new ones are on the way, so fingers crossed I didn't jinx myself!!  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Murdock said:

Good point, I should have phrased that better.  Mistakes are bound to happen, and do even in times of normal volume.  But, from my own past experience when you're burning the candle at both ends trying to get things done, it wears on you mentally and physically and has the potential for a lapse in QC.  

Sounded inflammatory, which was probably more a direct result of my frustration getting in touch with them, so I now see it came across wrong.  Personally, I've only had excellent builds from them.  My new ones are on the way, so fingers crossed I didn't jinx myself!!  

Haha, you may have. Mine are shipping to the dealer and they’ll check them all when I go to pick them up and adjust as necessary - I’m always nervous if they come directly  to me. Last time I ordered direct from Callaway the guy was nice enough to drop me an email to let me know they forgot to adjust the lies as requested. No big deal, but had to drive 90 miles to get it done - nice day out!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, anth said:

Does anyone have the ZX7 AW? Any pics? Would love to see if from address next to the PW and the Zipcore or RTX4 wedge.

My 50 degree RTX4 and I are not getting along at the moment. Considering alternatives 

There should be several pictures within this thread of the GW.  That's been a common question, so should be quite a few. 

Don't blame you if you don't want to sift through 62 pages to find them, but that's exactly what I had to do when I wanted to see it.  Definitely labor intensive.  😆

I think people should be pulling the trigger now if they are thinking of new clubs. If the covid numbers keep going down on the trend they are on now, there may be an economic explosion in the spring and I think the demand is going to go through the roof. 3-4 week delays are going to turn into 3-4 month delays. 

You're welcome. 

• Like 1

Tsi3 9* Ventus Black 6S
SIM Ti 3 wood, stock shaft
Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei White 90tx
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
Zipcore Black 50, 54 Full
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2 

21 hours ago, NNJ111 said:

Just got 90% of my ZX5/7 combo set in the mail with c-tapers. Just missing the ZX5 4 iron, for which I’m guessing there is a delay. 

feel and looks are just fantastic. Have only hit into mats, but no buyers’ remorse so far, felt like just like hitting them in store but with a better shaft. On that note, these look great against the brushed finish of the c-tapers.

Definitely worth the wait. There are certain irons that come out every few years that you look at and think “these have staying power” (the original RACs for example). I never felt that way about my 919 hot metal pros, but I definitely do with these.image.jpg.dbf50cde529ef6b5305a8c3dad31c117.jpgimage.jpg.ba7e54c77862c7b4bfb9e9f087063b13.jpg

Oh man they look so good! I just ordered a set on Friday with the C- taper shafts as well.  Cheers on the new set! 

4 hours ago, halfsumo said:

I think people should be pulling the trigger now if they are thinking of new clubs. If the covid numbers keep going down on the trend they are on now, there may be an economic explosion in the spring and I think the demand is going to go through the roof. 3-4 week delays are going to turn into 3-4 month delays. 

You're welcome. 

Prob depends on where you’re located. Our courses in North Carolina have never been more crowded. 

People flocked to golf because it was the only game in town. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Murdock said:

There should be several pictures within this thread of the GW.  That's been a common question, so should be quite a few. 

Don't blame you if you don't want to sift through 62 pages to find them, but that's exactly what I had to do when I wanted to see it.  Definitely labor intensive.  😆

Found it.

Page 9.

Approach wedge looks good at address. Might go with that bent to 50 and then the Cleveland wedges at 54 and 58

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
TaylorMade TP5X

9 hours ago, halfsumo said:

You're welcome. 

I wonder if it will be counterbalanced  by the ability to do other activities. Golf got a boost by being on the few social activities not impacted by the pandemic.  As more and more people get vaccinated and other social activities start ramping up, I wonder if some of the people who drifted (back) to golf will go back to those other things.  Last summer there were no concerts, fans at sporting events, usual big groups gathering or all the stuff people did on the weekend. 

• Like 1

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Srixon Z-Star

2 hours ago, Murdock said:

Exactly what I did actually.  Did that with the new 54/58 zipcore.  Can't wait to try them upon arrival!

Cool.  Gotta let me know how that works for you

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
Srixon Z U85 23 Utility
TaylorMade TP5X

Just took these out for their first hit at the range before the rain comes this week. These are so far great based off the range session - nothing to complain about.

Got these in the Modus 120 S flex coming from Taylormade P790s. Will be interesting to see how the distances/forgiveness stack up on the course. I was a bit worried about whether my striking would be good enough for these as I went the TM 770s previously and struggled with distance/forgiveness but so far the ZX7s feel like a good blend.

ZX5 4-AW with Recoil 95 S, SSx1, 2* flat, 1/2" short - ordered 1/7

JUST GOT MY OVERNIGHT SHIPPING NOTIFICATION!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

Just out of curiosity, have any of you found that the ZX7 are giving you a few extra yards? When hitting the demo 7, my carry was 5-7 yards longer on average even though the loft is within 1* of my gamers. 

Interesting to see but I’m hoping to see my order in hand sometime in March. Excited to get dialed in before the season.

1 hour ago, tnrts345 said:

Just out of curiosity, have any of you found that the ZX7 are giving you a few extra yards? When hitting the demo 7, my carry was 5-7 yards longer on average even though the loft is within 1* of my gamers. 

Interesting to see but I’m hoping to see my order in hand sometime in March. Excited to get dialed in before the season.

Yes, I was one of the wrx testers for the Zx7's and absolutely 10 yards and a club longer through the bag. For a forged iron head it is super hot. Even though there is a 2 degree difference in loft on paper it seems like at least 5 yards longer apples to apples. 

Zx7 6 iron

IMG_0892.jpg.3a58ff05b8e4a25e3b74e2b95bda3c4d.jpg

Mizuno MP69 6 iron

IMG_0890.jpg.ece381907b5daba6c9d8977e54759ab4.jpg

58 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Yes, I was one of the wrx testers for the Zx7's and absolutely 10 yards and a club longer through the bag. For a forged iron head it is super hot. Even though there is a 2 degree difference in loft on paper it seems like at least 5 yards longer apples to apples. 

Zx7 6 iron

IMG_0892.jpg.3a58ff05b8e4a25e3b74e2b95bda3c4d.jpg

Mizuno MP69 6 iron

IMG_0890.jpg.ece381907b5daba6c9d8977e54759ab4.jpg

Seems like we’re pretty close numbers wise, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform for me throughout the bag. Initial testing was about 1/2 to full club up in terms of yardage on my 919 tours. Have you had them on course yet? If so did you find they were easy to stick onto the greens with the high flight? 

2 hours ago, tnrts345 said:

Seems like we’re pretty close numbers wise, I’m looking forward to seeing how they perform for me throughout the bag. Initial testing was about 1/2 to full club up in terms of yardage on my 919 tours. Have you had them on course yet? If so did you find they were easy to stick onto the greens with the high flight? 

Yes had them on course and very easy to hold greens. Both great irons and can’t go wrong with either. I’d say the Zx7 and 919 Tours are neck and neck in terms of a great club with maybe a slight edge in performance to the Zx7 (taking into account long and short irons) and slight edge in feel to the Mizzys. Long irons definitely noticeable performance gain in Zx7’s. 

Edited by PureStrikes54
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, feubo76_ said:

Hello, just wondering, which is a better choise, the ZX5 or the Taylormade p790? I get them for the same price and really can not decide.. any help would be appreciated. 

Depends on what you want out of a iron. P790 is a great iron that's hollow and goes a long way. ZX5 is a hot faced endo forged iron that feels and looks awesome. 

• Like 1

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6