Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sooooooooooooo, I apologize in advance for any financial decisions that have to be made as a result of this post. First swing with the gap wedge. ......  

Just got these back and glued them up last night. Maybe the first set of Srixon ZX7 in raw that anyone has in the world right now? Love that they are starting to darken already and can't wait to put t

Probably got even stranger looks when ya took the sharpie to their wood floors.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lefty1283 said:

I thought it was available LH.  At least I felt like I saw it as an option to order on the Srixon site when they were still allowing you to order online.  

Nope.  Going back to when I bought the 565 irons in LH a number of years ago, no AW from Srixon for their forged sets (though I do recall they had an AW with the 355 irons or whatever that cast set was).  Odd, and frustrating.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Driver, Fujikura Speeder 665 Evo II TS R
Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M4
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 and 5 Hybrids, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
Wilson Staff C300 Forged Irons 6-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 R
PXG 0311 SW (54*/14) and LW (58*/12), TT Elevate Tour S
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Love the enthusiasm for these irons. I put an order in a few days ago for a combo set: ZX4 5 iron, ZX5 6 & 7 irons, ZX7 8,9 & PW. All with c taper lite 110s and 2 flat. Can’t wait!

Mavrik 10.5 Attas Coool 6s

Mavrik SZ 4 wood ProForce V2 7F4

Mavrik pro 3 hyb ProForce V2 8F4

Srixon ZX4,5&7  5-PW C Taper lite 110

MD5 52 & 58

SC X6

On 2/21/2021 at 10:51 AM, bhj83 said:

Does the ZXU launch a lot higher for you? I've tried a number of 4 iron (U45, U85, etc) replacements and they always launch too high for me. 

Was able to hit these today. Only played 9 holes but the utility definitely launched higher and spun more. Seemed forgiving but I will stick with the ZX7 4 iron and will be listing the utility. 

TSi3 9° | SIM Ti 15° | 818 H1 19° | ZX7 4-PW | Zipcore 50°, 54° & 60° | 2021 SC Phantom 5.5

My ZX5s came in yesterday. 5-P. Beautiful sticks!

As with all OEMs, specs were off. Ordered 1 degree up, std loft.

Across the set lie angles were consistently between 2 and 3 degrees up and loft was at least 1 degree strong on all clubs except the PW. I was already going to make some minor adjustments from my ordered specs, and I always measure my clubs anyway, so not a big deal.

I will say this, when Srixon says "Forged 1020 carbon steel body", they really mean it! These are some of the softest I've ever seen. Very easy to bend.

Bottom line, and I've said this a lot... get your lofts and lies checked! It's very rare that your actual specs will be within 0.5 degrees of what you ordered, much less spot on. This applies to all OEMs.

Looking forward to hitting the ZX5s this weekend!

• Like 1
On 2/21/2021 at 7:51 AM, bhj83 said:

Does the ZXU launch a lot higher for you? I've tried a number of 4 iron (U45, U85, etc) replacements and they always launch too high for me. 

In very limited on-course testing, I have found the ZXU to launch extremely high in comparison to the ZX5. I have the ZXU 3i, and the ZX5 4i. I'm finding that the 20* 3i is launching higher than the 22* 4i. That being said, it's not a bad thing for me, since I can use all the launch help I can get!

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

ZX5 5-P. First range session this evening. I haven't tested directly alongside my P790s yet, but both sets are at the same lofts. With each club launch (relatively high) and overall trajectory (strong) on a good strike were exactly what I expected to see, meaning same as my 790s. So, that's a good start. Performance-wise I don't expect anything much different vs the TMs. Feel is nice, not harsh at all, head shape is very pleasing, and I really like the V sole.

The real reason I ordered the ZX5s is the sole. I always heard good things about the V sole for those if us on the steeper side. I've always played relatively high-bounce irons, but never had a club wit the V sole design. So, I picked up a CBX2 gap wedge back in December as a test club, and it really surprised me. Very quick through the ground and doesn't want to dig. All of a sudden that GW has become one of my favorite clubs, and it's been years since I could say that.

I went with the ZX5s rather than the ZX7s mainly due to sole width. So far the ZX5s do feel very similar through the turf, but maybe not quite as "slippery" as the CBX2. I think the leading edge on the ZX5s is a little sharper, so maybe that's it. Still really nice though. Very happy with that.

First round tomorrow so we'll see how the yardages, and the mishits, work out.

• Thanks 1

Played with my ZX5s first time today. Also first time had played in four weeks, got some strange virus, is there anything going around right now? 
Started off hitting everything fat, including hybrids, pretty disconcerting. Then birdied 9 and 10 and we were off to the races. 
If I can walk tomorrow, I’m playing again, but all I can say so far is that these irons are gonna be great. Coming from the z765s, these look identical at address, but are more forgiving and soft enough for me. 

I think this was a good choice 😀

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
Mizuno ST 180 5 wood, set to 16*
Srixon H85 20* hybrid
Srixon H85 22* hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-AW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Mizuno S18 58* wedge
Cleveland VP Milled No. 3 putter
41 minutes ago, BogeyLJA said:

Website says the ZX7s are out of stock, anyone know when they are expected back in stock? 

I’d look at ordering through a dealer (on here). You may have more luck that way. 

Edited by LPCP

[b]WITB[/b]
Cobra F9 - Rogue White 130 6X 
Cobra F8 3-4 - Rogue White 130 8X
Cobra F9 19* - Tensei Pro White 90X
Srixon ZX7 4-PW - PX LZ 6.5

Titleist SM7 Black 50,54,58
TM Spider Tour Black

8 hours ago, BogeyLJA said:

Website says the ZX7s are out of stock, anyone know when they are expected back in stock? 

If you check out the "Srixon iron wait time" thread you'll see no one knows anything and there's no clear pattern to when anyone are getting their irons.

Ping G410  10.5 Project X Evenflow 5.5

Ping G425 5 wood
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid

Srixon ZX5's  5-PW

Ping Glide 3.0  50*
Ping Glide
 54 & 58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

If you check out the "Srixon iron wait time" thread you'll see no one knows anything and there's no clear pattern to when anyone are getting their irons.

lol should have known there was a separate thread 

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

TM SIM 15* | Diamana D Limited 70tx
TM M3 19* | Tensei PW 80tx
Apex Pro '19 | KBS $-Saper 125
Vokey SM8 50|55|60 - KBS $-taper 125
Toulon Palm Beach
TP5x 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, Natural1 said:

ZX5 5-P. First range session this evening. I haven't tested directly alongside my P790s yet, but both sets are at the same lofts. With each club launch (relatively high) and overall trajectory (strong) on a good strike were exactly what I expected to see, meaning same as my 790s. So, that's a good start. Performance-wise I don't expect anything much different vs the TMs. Feel is nice, not harsh at all, head shape is very pleasing, and I really like the V sole.

The real reason I ordered the ZX5s is the sole. I always heard good things about the V sole for those if us on the steeper side. I've always played relatively high-bounce irons, but never had a club wit the V sole design. So, I picked up a CBX2 gap wedge back in December as a test club, and it really surprised me. Very quick through the ground and doesn't want to dig. All of a sudden that GW has become one of my favorite clubs, and it's been years since I could say that.

I went with the ZX5s rather than the ZX7s mainly due to sole width. So far the ZX5s do feel very similar through the turf, but maybe not quite as "slippery" as the CBX2. I think the leading edge on the ZX5s is a little sharper, so maybe that's it. Still really nice though. Very happy with that.

First round tomorrow so we'll see how the yardages, and the mishits, work out.

1 range session and 2 rounds in. Really like the ZX5s in comparison to the 790s. I definitely prefer the more squared off look of the Srixons, and the V sole really is nice through the turf. Again, no real performance benefit in terms of yardages, trajectory, etc... except one, below. This is my home course (80+ rounds/year) and I'm playing the same "shot" to the same yardages and getting what I expect, on both good and relatively poor strikes. So far gaps are definitely where they should be as well. Very pleased to this point.

The one difference is the PW. For some reason I've really had a hard time with the P790 wedge, almost to the point of hatred to be honest. The 790 9 iron always performed as expected, but the wedge never worked for me. Even very solid strikes produced high, weak shots that flew a few yards short of what I always expected. Obviously the sample size is small, but so far the ZX5 PW flights the ball much better/stronger (at the same loft), and no question is flying that extra 2-3 yards I was missing with the 790. Honeymoon or not, the wedge is a winner in comparison.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 7:59 PM, robcha said:

Got my first round in today with my ZX7's and they are puuuuuure. Switching from the MP20 HMB's, feeling is completely different and in the best way possible. Excited to keep these in the bag for a long time coming. 

I was looking into HMBs but these caught my eye. What do you like about these over HMb??

Just now, ReidThompson said:

Apples and oranges.  HMB is a hollow rocket launcher.  ZX7s are Endo forged heaven on a stick.  

Agree they were hollow, but I did not get the rocket launcher performance though, for some reason I got better distance and forgiveness out of the MMC, and the ZX7s are even better than those. Unreal combination of feel and forgiveness. 

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

The inventor of the zx7 soles should be knighted?  6 rounds in and still full honeymoon phase today

plus, these blades are long !  9i going 150 at sea level with no issues.  Magic soft power metal mix

i need a back up set FFS

Great news! All my “must test on grass” self-talk predictably evaporated and I’m just 9 days post order and seem to have hit the magic max delay window - haha, now reading maybe asking for Tour Velvets may turn the wait time into 8 weeks! Should have just given in weeks ago - I knew it was inevitable, lol. Plenty of snow so makes waiting easier but all these great reports really stoke the golf flame. 

• Like 2
On 3/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, ReidThompson said:

Apples and oranges.  HMB is a hollow rocket launcher.  ZX7s are Endo forged heaven on a stick.  

So true........!

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3 - Tensi AV Blue 65x

3 Wood:  Titleist TS3 - Fuji Atmos Red 70x

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 80s

Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 - HZDRUS Smoke RDX 90s

Irons:  Srixon ZX7 5-PW  - Modus 3 105 S (HS+1)

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter: Scotty Special Select Newport

I ordered my ZX5's on 2/13.  The estimated delivery date was 3/30 at the time.  No new updates on the due date.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56 and 60 degree Putter: mySpider X

I hit some 6 and 7 irons yesterday that literally dropped my jaw

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max GD Pershing 55x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7