Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

2 hours ago, Treyball344 said:

Just got my ZX Utility (after more than 2 months of waiting). It sounds very metallic. When you bounce a ball of it it sounds like you're bouncing a penny off of it. I previously had the Z85 Utility and it did not have anywhere near the same sound/feel.

I'm almost thinking there is something loose in the head? Or something else wrong with it? Or is this how they all sound/feel?

Bouncing a ball off of either of mine results in a click, nothing metallic or coin like.

Srixon ZX5 9.5* - GD ADDI 6S
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* - UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")

Srixon ZXU 3i - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat
Srixon ZX5 4-AW - Recoil95S - Softstepped - -1/2" - 2* flat

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 50*/54* mid, 58* low -0.5" - 2* flat 
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball  33.5" - 1* loft - 71* lie

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - 34" 4* loft - 71* lie
WITB Link

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sooooooooooooo, I apologize in advance for any financial decisions that have to be made as a result of this post. First swing with the gap wedge. ......  

Just got these back and glued them up last night. Maybe the first set of Srixon ZX7 in raw that anyone has in the world right now? Love that they are starting to darken already and can't wait to put t

Probably got even stranger looks when ya took the sharpie to their wood floors.

Posted Images

Bought 2019 p790s last year. Tried to make myself like them but after one season i just couldn't make myself. I'm not a club switcher at all(4 sets in 25 yrs of golf) but I couldn't get past how wrong they felt for my swing. Ordered my zx7 4-pw with modus 120 stiff shafts today. 2-3 weeks to ship. Bounced back and forth between zx5 and zx7 but like the smaller profile and feel like I could work the zx7 better. Considered combo set with 4-5iron but none to test at the fitter so felt better going all zx7. 1 handicap fwiw. If I didn't consistently hit center face on zx7 I'd recommend zx5 or if you're looking for some extra distance/height. 7 iron had a 51 degree decent angle so may bend them down a degree if I think they're ballooning on me after a few rounds. 

Looking to order a set and just can’t decide between $taper and PX LZ. I def need to go back and try them both out again but was finding it hard to get enough spin with the zx7. (Attached some numbers of anyone wanted to look). 

Also trying to decide top of the bag if I should do 4,5 zx5 6-pw zx7 or 5-pw zx7 with 4 zxu. Any pointers on how to figure out the right course of action? 

4C4A68A4-2396-4160-999D-F42265B5DD05.jpeg

Edited by cpelli92

I’m not sure if anyone posted ZX vs U85 yet but just got back from the range, shop got my ZX U 4-iron today. Thing is butter. Got it with the XStiff stock graphite shaft. 

Below are 85 vs zx 23 degree utility... new on the right. U85 left. Noticeably less offset to my eye and and the giant bulge from behind the top line is less obvious. 

A582E9D6-8DB7-4560-A775-A98FF493576F.jpeg.402d112d71c536fca78c19f26f42c7bb.jpeg

• Like 2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

1 hour ago, rsh0308 said:

I’m not sure if anyone posted ZX vs U85 yet but just got back from the range, shop got my ZX U 4-iron today. Thing is butter. Got it with the XStiff stock graphite shaft. 

Below are 85 vs zx 23 degree utility... new on the right. U85 left. Noticeably less offset to my eye and and the giant bulge from behind the top line is less obvious. 

A582E9D6-8DB7-4560-A775-A98FF493576F.jpeg.402d112d71c536fca78c19f26f42c7bb.jpeg

Notice in difference in ball flight between them? I've tried a few of the Srixon utility 4 irons and usually hit them too high with too much spin. 

TaylorMade SIM 9
Cobra F9 3-4W
Cobra F6 Baffler 4-5W

Srixon ZX 4 hybrid
Srixon ZX7 5-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50, 56, 62
Scotty Cameron Select Golo w/ Stability Shaft
Titleist ProV1 | Vice Pro
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder

MNML Golf Bag

14 minutes ago, bhj83 said:

Notice in difference in ball flight between them? I've tried a few of the Srixon utility 4 irons and usually hit them too high with too much spin. 

Yes. Not apples to apples unfortunately. Have the F4 stiff in the standard lie U85 and F5 x in ZX, 2* flat.
I was a moderate high draw with 5-10 yards right to left on good swings U85 and a more penetrating straight shot with the ZX. 
A little bit lower/flatter is what I wanted. U85 would balloon and stop on its ballmark at about 205. Couldn’t figure out ever how to flight it down. 

Edited by rsh0308
  • Like 1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

1 hour ago, el h0zel said:

Anyone have a current lead time on these?

Best answer is it depends. Some grips and some shafts are still missing from virtually all vendors. Best suggestion I would have would be if you like the clubs order them. What’s an extra month or two even to get the best clubs for you?

That said I would place the order and the call them after a couple weeks. Find out the status of your order at that time. You nay find they are about to go out but you also may discover the only holdup is grips. That is what happened to me so I told them to throw something similar in the box and send. I had ordered Lamkin Crosslines and wound up getting the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360. Had them ship the clubs with the grips loose in box.

WITB
Titleist TSi3 9* PX Riptide CB 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

On 2/21/2021 at 5:46 PM, NNJ111 said:

Just got 90% of my ZX5/7 combo set in the mail with c-tapers. Just missing the ZX5 4 iron, for which I’m guessing there is a delay. 

feel and looks are just fantastic. Have only hit into mats, but no buyers’ remorse so far, felt like just like hitting them in store but with a better shaft. On that note, these look great against the brushed finish of the c-tapers.

Definitely worth the wait. There are certain irons that come out every few years that you look at and think “these have staying power” (the original RACs for example). I never felt that way about my 919 hot metal pros, but I definitely do with these.image.jpg.dbf50cde529ef6b5305a8c3dad31c117.jpgimage.jpg.ba7e54c77862c7b4bfb9e9f087063b13.jpg

How do you feel forgiveness is across the face on the zx7 vs the 919 HMP?

18 hours ago, wundej said:

It’s hard to say because both have a different feel so feedback feels different in each. I’m just getting back into the game regularly in the past year (grew up playing 2-4 times a week as a kid in the summer) after 10 years of living in Boston and NYC where i didn’t get out nearly as much as I liked. This said, sometimes with the HMP I couldn’t even tell where on the face I was striking it (but this could be that I was used to less forgiving clubs). Unsure if this represented actual forgiveness though, or just the construction not providing a ton of feedback

The 919 HMP to me was a rocket, and i actually even got quite a bit of yardage out of shots which could be generously referred to as duffs

You’re not gonna get that kind of benefit with the Srixons, but provided you’re not striking the ball that poorly, I’m finding that the forgiveness on good swings but off center strikes is pretty much the same (given the skill level of most on this forum, this is probably the “forgiveness” many are speaking of). Also, surprisingly the distance is similar, despite the Srixon’s forged construction and more traditional lofts 

this all IMO of course, ymmv. That said if you can get your hands on these I doubt you’ll regret it.

Edited by NNJ111
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, wundej said:

my last response simplified:

Forgiveness on Terrible Shots: Definitely HMP

Forgiveness otherwise: pretty much =

Distance: pretty much = when pured (but maybe easier feeling with HMP)

Workability: ZX

consistency of distance/direction on center strikes: slight edge to ZX

It’s not that the HMP is bad, just not what I needed re: feedback as I try to get my game and swing back

Well I just played four rounds of golf in Sea Island with the new irons. I thought I would circle back. These irons are everything that I thought they were with my initial impressions. They feel incredible at impact, they’re fairly forgiving, you know where you’ve missed the ball on the face, and off-center strikes perform reasonably well. They are also extremely consistent when struck well. I am very happy that I switch to these and I’m looking forward to playing them this season.

• Like 4

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSi3 9 degree driver with LAGP Trono 65 stiff shaft
Titleist TSi2 15 degree fwy with Ventus Blue 70 stiff shaft
PXG Gen2 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8  stiff shaft
Srixon zx7 5-pw with Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts
Vokey SM8 Raw wedges- 50, 54, and 60 degree with Steelfiber shafts
TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe

On 3/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, cpelli92 said:

Looking to order a set and just can’t decide between $taper and PX LZ. I def need to go back and try them both out again but was finding it hard to get enough spin with the zx7. (Attached some numbers of anyone wanted to look). 

Also trying to decide top of the bag if I should do 4,5 zx5 6-pw zx7 or 5-pw zx7 with 4 zxu. Any pointers on how to figure out the right course of action? 

4C4A68A4-2396-4160-999D-F42265B5DD05.jpeg

Can't read the export of your shot data so only looking at the averages. I'd either go $ Taper or Modus 120. Your shot dispersion looks good w/ the $ Taper, but even better front to back with the Modus 120. If you need more spin, switch to a ball like a TP5.

d: Mavrik | f: ST-Z | h1, h2: Apex 21 | i: zx5/7 | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

6 hours ago, NNJ111 said:

my last response simplified:

Forgiveness on Terrible Shots: Definitely HMP

Forgiveness otherwise: pretty much =

Distance: pretty much = when pured (but maybe easier feeling with HMP)

Workability: ZX

consistency of distance/direction on center strikes: slight edge to ZX

It’s not that the HMP is bad, just not what I needed re: feedback as I try to get my game and swing back

Thanks. I’m gaming the 919 HMP now. It seems like the HMP is right between the zx7 and 5. I tried the z585 and I wasn’t a fan. I’ve played 919, 900 forged and 825 Pro before the HMP so I was thinking the zx7 may be a better fit, but I’m concerned they may be closer to the JPX Tour than the Forged. Just haven’t been able to hit them yet. 

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, wundej said:

Thanks. I’m gaming the 919 HMP now. It seems like the HMP is right between the zx7 and 5. I tried the z585 and I wasn’t a fan. I’ve played 919, 900 forged and 825 Pro before the HMP so I was thinking the zx7 may be a better fit, but I’m concerned they may be closer to the JPX Tour than the Forged. Just haven’t been able to hit them yet. 

I'm thinking the exact same (currently game 919 HMPs and tempted by these but not sure where they fall relative to the HMPs). I'm actually considering going the other way to just the ZX5 top to bottom but just worried the ZX5 might feel too chunky after using the HMPs for a couple of years. 

On 3/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, wundej said:

From what I’ve read, people are saying the 919/921 Forged fit in between the 5 and 7. IMO the forged is closer to the 7 than the 5 though. And I’d say the 7 is very close to the tour. Looking at ZX7 and 921 tour 4 irons side by side, they are basically the same size and I’d say neither look very “friendly”. Keep in mind this is based on me playing the 919 forged, and only hitting the Srixons and 919/921 tours in the hitting bay off mats. 

Edited by TiScape
On 3/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, rondre3000 said:

Can't read the export of your shot data so only looking at the averages. I'd either go $ Taper or Modus 120. Your shot dispersion looks good w/ the $ Taper, but even better front to back with the Modus 120. If you need more spin, switch to a ball like a TP5.

I really liked the feel and dispersion of the $ taper but wanted a bit more spin and a slightly higher apex, for me the original KBS tour fit the bill.  Higher spin ball couldn’t hurt either. 

Edited by vancouver81
3 minutes ago, vancouver81 said:

I really liked the feel and dispersion of the $ taper but wanted a bit more spin and a slightly higher apex, for me the original KBS tour fit the bill.  Higher spin ball couldn’t hurt either. 

Totally understandable. What ball are you currently playing and what were you using for this data being collected? Dependent on that, you may see a bigger improvement there than with a shaft change.

d: Mavrik | f: ST-Z | h1, h2: Apex 21 | i: zx5/7 | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

5 hours ago, KParks said:

I'm thinking the exact same (currently game 919 HMPs and tempted by these but not sure where they fall relative to the HMPs). I'm actually considering going the other way to just the ZX5 top to bottom but just worried the ZX5 might feel too chunky after using the HMPs for a couple of years. 

Honestly, the ZX5s do not seem that chunky in comparison, to my eye they are same size maybe smaller.

• Like 1