Srixon 2020 Irons ZX7, ZX5, ZX Utility

GolfSwang

On 3/24/2021 at 2:07 PM, Silentbob6 said:

Just received my zx4/5 combo set. Can’t wait to go play Friday! 

A78A4B4B-263D-41EA-86F4-1EAC7B56A17B.jpeg

All Srixon...sweet!! How do you like the Z785 Driver and F85 3-Wood?

How do you like the ZX4 and ZX5’s?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

11 hours ago, BallerNate said:

All Srixon...sweet!! How do you like the Z785 Driver and F85 3-Wood?

How do you like the ZX4 and ZX5’s?

The driver is really nice. It’s very long when hit right. When I hit it flush, I’m like 15 yards longer than my twin brother and his mavrik subzero. I find it a little unforgiving though so I should’ve went with the 585. The f85 is the longest 3 wood I’ve ever hit. Very easy to hit off the deck. I got out yesterday to play and never got a chance to even hit the zx4. I did hit every zx5 iron though and I loved them. I didn’t play very good but all my miss hits were just a couple yards short of where they should’ve went. They felt amazing when hit right. And I hear everyone talk about the v sole and how great it is and I’m always like eh, that won’t do anything but boy was I wrong. The course was very wet and I hit a couple balls a little fat that should’ve went like 50 yards in front of me and both times, they almost made the green. I’m so glad I bought these 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Silentbob6 said:

The driver is really nice. It’s very long when hit right. When I hit it flush, I’m like 15 yards longer than my twin brother and his mavrik subzero. I find it a little unforgiving though so I should’ve went with the 585. The f85 is the longest 3 wood I’ve ever hit. Very easy to hit off the deck. I got out yesterday to play and never got a chance to even hit the zx4. I did hit every zx5 iron though and I loved them. I didn’t play very good but all my miss hits were just a couple yards short of where they should’ve went. They felt amazing when hit right. And I hear everyone talk about the v sole and how great it is and I’m always like eh, that won’t do anything but boy was I wrong. The course was very wet and I hit a couple balls a little fat that should’ve went like 50 yards in front of me and both times, they almost made the green. I’m so glad I bought these 

Awesome...great to hear!! Yeah, I’ve got a set of ZX5 5-PW on the way and have a H85 and U85. Can’t wait to get those ZX5’s in my hands...they were so smooth and pure in my fitting, none of the other 2021 irons even felt close!!

Considering the Z 785 Driver, and would consider the F85 as well, so great to get your experience with those.

Have you hit your brother’s Mavrik Max? How would you compare the Z 785 to the Mavrik Max in terms of forgiveness?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

23 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome...great to hear!! Yeah, I’ve got a set of ZX5 5-PW on the way and have a H85 and U85. Can’t wait to get those ZX5’s in my hands...they were so smooth and pure in my fitting, none of the other 2021 irons even felt close!!

Considering the Z 785 Driver, and would consider the F85 as well, so great to get your experience with those.

Have you hit your brother’s Mavrik Max? How would you compare the Z 785 to the Mavrik Max in terms of forgiveness?

Yea that’s the one thing I’m missing is the hybrid since I’m inconsistent with the 2 iron off the deck. You’re gonna love the irons when you finally get to hit them at the course. I wanted to keep playing but it was only 42 and getting dark. Yea I switched off the whole round between his subzero and my 785. Surprisingly his subzero is very forgiving. That’s why I like it a little more than my 785. I need to get lessons for my driver swing cause like I said, the 785 is very long when hit flush 

33 minutes ago, Silentbob6 said:

Yea that’s the one thing I’m missing is the hybrid since I’m inconsistent with the 2 iron off the deck. You’re gonna love the irons when you finally get to hit them at the course. I wanted to keep playing but it was only 42 and getting dark. Yea I switched off the whole round between his subzero and my 785. Surprisingly his subzero is very forgiving. That’s why I like it a little more than my 785. I need to get lessons for my driver swing cause like I said, the 785 is very long when hit flush 

Yeah, can’t wait to get the ZX5’s!

Still getting used to the H85 and U85, so can’t say too much about them so far other than that the initial impression has been good.

Just picked up a standard Mavrik Driver last week, but had a freak accident at the Driving range and cracked the head, so trying to decide if I should get another Mavrik head, or give the Z 785 a shot.

Heard great things about the ZX5 Driver, but that’s more $$ than I want to spend after all the money I’ve been spending on clubs already.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, can’t wait to get the ZX5’s!

Still getting used to the H85 and U85, so can’t say too much about them so far other than that the initial impression has been good.

Just picked up a standard Mavrik Driver last week, but had a freak accident at the Driving range and cracked the head, so trying to decide if I should get another Mavrik head, or give the Z 785 a shot.

Heard great things about the ZX5 Driver, but that’s more $$ than I want to spend after all the money I’ve been spending on clubs already.

Yea I was thinking about doing the 2 week demo on the zx5 when the weather gets nicer 

Just took a blind Srixon leap of faith and pulled the trigger on a ZX4 4-iron to go with my ZX5 5-PW set that’s on the way! Also considered a TM P790, or Sub 70 699.

I have a U85 3 Driving Iron, but after 4-5 simulator rounds, 3 Spring rounds, and 2 driving range sessions, I’m finding the U85 very unforgiving on any shots not hit directly on the sweet spot, and it’s extremely difficult to hit off the deck.

Hoping the ZX4 will be easier to hit consistently off the deck/Tee, and be more forgiving, but hopefully similar distances. I ordered it with the same KBS Tour 120 shaft that will be in my ZX5 5-PW, but if necessary could switch it with the Recoil 95 shaft that’s in the U85 for more of a Driving Iron feel. We’ll see how it goes, and hopefully both will arrive soon!!

Edited by BallerNate
  • Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Has anyone hit or own the zx7’s with MMT 105s in them? I went to the local golf store today and all they had it with was modus 120s flex. Current irons have kbs tour 120 s flex but feel a little harsh for me sometimes. Like I have to work too much some rounds. Have had success in the past with CTL’s in a set of  765s. Think I would like to go something a little lighter weight but need something in lower launch category. 

Just got fitted at Club Champion and the Srixon’s were awesome. Went ZX5 in the 5-8 and ZX7 in the 9-A, bent the ZX7’s 1 degree strong to get the gaps correct.

I’m an 8 handicap, 90 mph with a 6 iron, and averaging 182 carry.  I feel like I could’ve went either way, they honestly don’t look different at all, I’ll take the forgiveness in the ZX5 longer clubs, they are so hot off the face. The spin is kind of low and that’s the main reason for going with a combo set but I’m sure going ZX5 all the way through the bag would’ve worked as well. Went with Oban ct 100 stiff shafts, so smooth. 
The Honma TR20p irons were a very close second. I couldn’t believe how good they were. I went in completely unbiased and the Japanese iron brands definitely performed the best for my swing. 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:18 PM, BallerNate said:

Just took a blind Srixon leap of faith and pulled the trigger on a ZX4 4-iron to go with my ZX5 5-PW set that’s on the way! Also considered a TM P790, or Sub 70 699.

I have a U85 3 Driving Iron, but after 4-5 simulator rounds, 3 Spring rounds, and 2 driving range sessions, I’m finding the U85 very unforgiving on any shots not hit directly on the sweet spot, and it’s extremely difficult to hit off the deck.

Hoping the ZX4 will be easier to hit consistently off the deck/Tee, and be more forgiving, but hopefully similar distances. I ordered it with the same KBS Tour 120 shaft that will be in my ZX5 5-PW, but if necessary could switch it with the Recoil 95 shaft that’s in the U85 for more of a Driving Iron feel. We’ll see how it goes, and hopefully both will arrive soon!!

I have the ZXU and I find it easier to elevate off the deck than the U85. I find the ZXU to be as forgiving as I need it to be, and it launches high (which is a good thing for me).

If you can somehow scrape together the funds I'd highly encourage you to demo the ZX5. It's super forgiving, and long. I don't like a lot of hyperbole, but I found that my new setup with the ZX5 is significantly better than my old setup with the Z785. I get higher launch, more ballspeed all across the face (which I need since I never seem to be able to center a ball, and a ton of forgivness. (Full transparency, I switched shafts from the HC Evenflow Blue 6.0 65g to the ADDI 6-S, so that could have something to do with the change in launch characteristics.)

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

27 minutes ago, blink3665 said:

I have the ZXU and I find it easier to elevate off the deck than the U85. I find the ZXU to be as forgiving as I need it to be, and it launches high (which is a good thing for me).

If you can somehow scrape together the funds I'd highly encourage you to demo the ZX5. It's super forgiving, and long. I don't like a lot of hyperbole, but I found that my new setup with the ZX5 is significantly better than my old setup with the Z785. I get higher launch, more ballspeed all across the face (which I need since I never seem to be able to center a ball, and a ton of forgivness. (Full transparency, I switched shafts from the HC Evenflow Blue 6.0 65g to the ADDI 6-S, so that could have something to do with the change in launch characteristics.)

Good to know, thanks for the feedback!

I guess I didn't give the ZXU as much consideration because of my experience so far with the Z U85, but maybe I should've given it a look. I've always traditionally had success with 3-irons (20*) off the Tee and the deck, so I started thinking about different distance irons to put in that spot instead of a Driving Iron. I bought a used P790 7-iron to hold me over until my ZX5 5-PW set to come in, and just find it so easy to launch and get distance from that I started considering that in a 21* 4-iron, but would've been $330 CAD and not come until April 30th. So will give the ZX4 4-iron a shot in that distance iron spot and see how it goes.

Have definitely heard awesome things about the ZX5 Driver and that's one I'll consider for the bag in the future for sure! $699.99 + tax for one club is just so insane that I just refuse to pay that on principal though! Will keep it in mind for Demo sales or used after the season though without a doubt.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

For any very low offset blade players switching to these, has the increased offset affected ball flight? I am more shallow and neutral in attack and path, usually play a dead straigh ball to slight draw. I find with too much offset it's harder to hit the fade and the over draw comes into play. Currently in the Mizuno MP100. How much would you need to bend these weak to see a similar offset to Mizuno?

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, K-Hook said:

Has anyone struggled with ball striking or any other issues with the Srixon Zx5 wider sole? Also, any comments on the tour vt sole? Thanks

In the mid-short irons (7-PW), I hit the ZX7 more consistently (and just as long) as the ZX5. I don't have a ZX7 6i to test yet, but I hit the ZX5 6i pretty well, my hunch is that as the shaft gets longer my plane is a bit flatter and that makes the sole width a bit less of an issue. Swing coach confirmed that it seemed I swung the ZX7 better than the ZX5 but ymmv.

I think it really depends on the individual swing, and also is why testing on grass rather than mats, especially with these clubs, is important.

• Thanks 1

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B

On 5/23/2021 at 10:17 AM, K-Hook said:

Has anyone struggled with ball striking or any other issues with the Srixon Zx5 wider sole? Also, any comments on the tour vt sole? Thanks

The zx5 sole vs the zx7 sole effect will change from player to player. In my case, it works well and keeps me out of trouble. I get steep on my short irons, and the wide sole is helpful. So far this season my ball striking has been as good as it's ever been.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been covered here but holy 67 pages Batman!!

I'm currently gaming Mizzy MP20 MBs (with the HMB in the 5&6) and I'm thinking about making a change. The one problem I would love to address is the yardage drop-off on low strikes with the MBs. It's not a lot, but I usually drop about a club's worth of distance. Unfortunately that low strike also tends to be my predominant miss.

Can anyone comment on low mishits from the ZX7? Also wondering about distance control with them. Don't want to suddenly get a bonus 10 yards on a pure shot.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Mascot said:

I've been eyeing up some ZX7's for a while now.  Should I pull the trigger or wait to see what Srixon puts out for 2022 as its the next release cycle for them

ZX7 irons weren't released until January, 2021 so it will be a long wait. I wouldn't expect new release until the end of 2022 at the earliest. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9*
TaylorMade SiM Max Rocket 14*

Srixon ZX 2 hybrid 16* and 4 hybrid 22*
Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW
Cleveland RTX ZipCore6 50, 54, 58
Evnroll EV5.1 with Stability Tour Black
Titleist ProV1X
Bushnell Pro XE Rangefinder | Garmin Approach S70 Watch

Gonna chime in about my 4-pw set of zx7's. I absolutely love these irons, the feel IMO is perfect. Distance and forgiveness are excellent. Strong flight but I still get plenty of spin. Now as for the v sole, I never really thought about it at all, I mean after all our goal is to hit the ball before the ground haha. That being said, I had one shot in particular last weekend (played a 3 day tournament) where I knew it was a crap swing. It felt super chunky but the ball still hit the green, never once thought about the v sole until right now as I write this. Perhaps there's something to this v sole thingy 🤔

Edited by TJ83
Spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Apologize if this has been covered but did anyone compare the ZX7 4 iron vs ZXU 4 iron when making their decision on what to get? That's the only sticking point for me - I hit my 5 iron roughly 215 so just thinking I might want something a tad more forgiving into greens from 225-230 out - especially playing twice a month if I'm lucky. TIA!

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 Degree w/Graphite Design VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: Mizuno MP68 5-PW
Wedges: Scratch wedge 53 degree, Cleveland RTX Zip Core 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Odyssey Cruiser Jailbird
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX

On 6/4/2021 at 8:28 PM, golfer55082 said:

I just bought a zx5 4i and 5i; on the hosel there is a print says “U-H”. Does anyone know what it means? Thanks. See the picture:

99998148-8C34-4FE4-B659-261E2135BD70.jpeg.945a89bf86e6e7559575c6c7c27ab86f.jpeg

I believe those were for heads set aside for the tour, they either say U-L or U-H.  L=Lighter and H=Heavier.  At least that's what I saw in an eBay! description on a few different sets I've looked at. 

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a set of Zx7 with project x 6.0. I have had my callaway x forged 2009s for close to 10 yers now and they bit the dust. 

Should arrive in a few weeks and cant wait to get em!

FYI to any Canadians. Srixons website added a feature that allows you to custom order most shafts at no additional cost. Which is something they added recently and easier than going through golftown

https://srixon.ca/collections/custom-shop/products/custom-zx7-irons

image.png.6e04f21f72b16ce39d12b1a4261df2e9.png

These things are SOFT. I put 10 rounds on my ZX5 and I think every club had either moved on loft or lie. Some moved on both axes. Same guy same machine who measured them both times. I know it's normal for forged clubs to move but ten rounds?

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

47 minutes ago, minhjn said:

These things are SOFT. I put 10 rounds on my ZX5 and I think every club had either moved on loft or lie. Some moved on both axes. Same guy same machine who measured them both times. I know it's normal for forged clubs to move but ten rounds?

I was really surprised how soft the ZX5s were when I adjusted mine. They were as easy to bend as any iron I've ever worked with.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | RTX ZC TR 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

• 2 weeks later...