2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Pro V1 alternative with more spin for $20 less per box? TXG video

KiwiNick

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Mbarry212 said:

Has anyone used these out on the course that can give some real life input? Can't beat that performance:price ratio??

I've used the Maxfli ball to great success. It's a perfectly fine golf ball.

I didn't "test" it, I just played it... it did everything I needed on the course, and I'd buy them again whenever they go on deep sale (I paid $50 for 2 dozen, I'd buy 2 dozen for $40 easily).

I normally game Snell golf balls at $30 a dozen... 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I am playing the Maxfli Tour X - it's very nice, and yes, the numbers don't lie ( usually have used the TM TP5x and also tried a box of Mizuno Tour RBx also nice).

And the Maxfli's are usually 2 for $50, so 25 a dozen - so don't bother with Vice etc.

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

2 things... im not knocking on anyone but has anyone noticed that rick shiels hits a 320 ball on camera in screen.. then on course it seems like its going maybe 270 to 290 max... now.. that is a great driver by all means... but 310+ is big boy pga pro pro territory... cant be all vloggers are smashing it 300+ consistently... not saying they dont here and there but i dont think its every single drive... point 2... imo if your going to buy a $34 maxfli ball... just buy the prov1 or try to find sale. To be honest... unless your on tour... i think ppl are taking ball just a touch too serious. By all means pick a good ball and brand but unless the ball is a really cheap nightmare ive played... callaway srixon bridgestone taylormade noodle nike and a few others... hit all great great shots with them. Granted there is one certain one that fits me best but i feel the gains are margional unless like i said your playing a very very bad ball. Now in days most balls are great for all. Me im around a 11 to 15 handi most of the time i just feel $20 of balls are just fine... just my opinion for anyone.

• Like 3

Yes and while Matt on TXG is a legit long hitter when they do outdoor, on-course Videos he is nowhere near the consistent distance-monster he is in their fitting studio, hitting into a net.

These YouTube "personalities" are providing entertainment, no doubt their appeal is enhanced by the launch monitor numbers whether they 100% match up with on-course results or not.

• Like 3

I've played a half dozen balls over the last year and there are a bunch of them that I really like and could play...Snell MTB Black or MTB X, Z Start, 2020 Chrome Soft, or OnCore Elixir; however, I just recently started playing the Maxfli Tour after reading some very positive reviews.  It has just about all the good characteristics you look for in a ball.  It's medium soft, long, good spin into the green, and feels great off the putter.  Played 18 with it today and was hitting my drives further than I ever have.  This is partly due to my swing being on today, but this ball just inspires me to hit it well.

• Like 1

Several threads on the Maxfli Tour. Most agree it's a great alternative to high priced tour balls. I've been using it since launch last year. It does not disappoint. Just surprised that a DSG house brand ball is really this good...but it's the real deal.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

Yes and while Matt on TXG is a legit long hitter when they do outdoor, on-course Videos he is nowhere near the consistent distance-monster he is in their fitting studio, hitting into a net.

These YouTube "personalities" are providing entertainment, no doubt their appeal is enhanced by the launch monitor numbers whether they 100% match up with on-course results or not.

Well stated, I noticed that the sequence didn’t match up early on with respect to shots shown and ball# according to graphics.  In addition to being entertainment, I think they are also trying to be educational.  

I think more than anything else I took away from the video that for an above average ball striker with excellent SS, the ball stands up until driver. I wish they did more above average SS tests, not Matty fast but something above Ronnie.

I’m intrigued by the ball, I’ll definitely be giving it a go this year.

4 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

2 things... im not knocking on anyone but has anyone noticed that rick shiels hits a 320 ball on camera in screen.. then on course it seems like its going maybe 270 to 290 max... now.. that is a great driver by all means... but 310+ is big boy pga pro pro territory... cant be all vloggers are smashing it 300+ consistently... not saying they dont here and there but i dont think its every single drive... point 2... imo if your going to buy a $34 maxfli ball... just buy the prov1 or try to find sale. To be honest... unless your on tour... i think ppl are taking ball just a touch too serious. By all means pick a good ball and brand but unless the ball is a really cheap nightmare ive played... callaway srixon bridgestone taylormade noodle nike and a few others... hit all great great shots with them. Granted there is one certain one that fits me best but i feel the gains are margional unless like i said your playing a very very bad ball. Now in days most balls are great for all. Me im around a 11 to 15 handi most of the time i just feel $20 of balls are just fine... just my opinion for anyone.

I don't think many are buying a $34 Maxfli, or they'd consider a Pro V.  They are buying a $25 Maxfli and at half price one has to consider the performance differences.   Plus Pro Vs are virtually impossible to find on sale unless you buy used or last years model or the 2 times they do a buy 3 get 1 free deal. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

23 hours ago, Minarets said:

I don't think many are buying a $34 Maxfli, or they'd consider a Pro V.  They are buying a $25 Maxfli and at half price one has to consider the performance differences.   Plus Pro Vs are virtually impossible to find on sale unless you buy used or last years model or the 2 times they do a buy 3 get 1 free deal. 

For me playing the year prior or even 2 or 3.... is not a big deal. Now ask me if i want the newest driver or irons or putter or wedge? Yeah yeah i really do lol

Even previous year model, it takes a lot of shopping around on eBay to get Pro V1/Pro V1x for under $32-$35/dozen once you include shipping charges. Titleist never lets official retailers sell them for less than $40/dozen, older model or not. Titleist do sell older models with PRACTICE stamped on them at a somewhat lower price. 

Used balls are used balls, if you willing to use them the price of new balls doesn't really matter.

On 8/22/2020 at 8:20 PM, jjfcpa said:

I've played a half dozen balls over the last year and there are a bunch of them that I really like and could play...Snell MTB Black or MTB X, Z Start, 2020 Chrome Soft, or OnCore Elixir; however, I just recently started playing the Maxfli Tour after reading some very positive reviews.  It has just about all the good characteristics you look for in a ball.  It's medium soft, long, good spin into the green, and feels great off the putter.  Played 18 with it today and was hitting my drives further than I ever have.  This is partly due to my swing being on today, but this ball just inspires me to hit it well.

What is your opinion on the Maxfli Tour feel vs the Elixr?  Elixr feels best to me but I'm trying to sneak out 4-5 more yards without giving up the soft feel. 

I'm not sure who on here is paying $35 per dozen for these balls. They are always 2 for $50 and I get about 3 $10 off Dicks coupon emails a day/ That is $20 per dozen. Much less than half of the Pro V's on the shelf next to it. No discernible playing differences other than the logo. Looks like a lot of people here buy into the marketing...

6 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

I'm not sure who on here is paying $35 per dozen for these balls. They are always 2 for $50 and I get about 3 $10 off Dicks coupon emails a day/ That is $20 per dozen. Much less than half of the Pro V's on the shelf next to it. No discernible playing differences other than the logo. Looks like a lot of people here buy into the marketing...

Some people actually don't give a darn about the price difference between a $2 golf ball and $4 golf ball. I go through about a ball per round or slightly more, on average. And my cost per round to play golf is something like $40-$50. I love a deal as much as anyone but a couple bucks is a drop in the bucket, overall. 

Heck, if price is a big factor just buy a Costco membership and get your golf balls (and everything else) seriously cheap. If I were retired and playing 250-300 rounds a year I'd probably do the Costco thing just because even a couple bucks a ball starts adding up when you play that much golf.

3 hours ago, golfpros1 said:

Maxfli will not be anywhere near as consistent as a ProV1.  In fact, I don't think ANY ball on the market is as consistent from ball to ball, let alone Maxfli.  You get what you pay for.  If you're just hacking it around a course and lose half the balls you play with anyway, OK, save some money.  But if you want to play your best possible round, and playing your best means consistent and predicable performance, than you'll spring for the extra $5-10 for 12 balls.

Prov V1 and V1 X are pretty exceptional balls.  I have not tried all the others but I have tried a lot.  I think I will try Vice and eventually Snell.

Dicks/Golf Galaxy also has a special model that Callaway sells in the Diablo Tour.  2 for $40.  I think it is a special private label and the same ball with a different name is sold at Costco.    They are three piece ball.  I m not sure if it matches up to Pro V1 or the MaxFli.  Just wondering if anyone tried them?   I checked Costco's web site but now they just have Kirkland 3 piece.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/callaway-2020-diablo-tour-golf-balls-19cwym2020dbltrxxgbl/19cwym2020dbltrxxgbl

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 7:13 PM, FakeClubPro said:

Prov V1 and V1 X are pretty exceptional balls.  I have not tried all the others but I have tried a lot.  I think I will try Vice and eventually Snell.

Dicks/Golf Galaxy also has a special model that Callaway sells in the Diablo Tour.  2 for $40.  I think it is a special private label and the same ball with a different name is sold at Costco.    They are three piece ball.  I m not sure if it matches up to Pro V1 or the MaxFli.  Just wondering if anyone tried them?   I checked Costco's web site but now they just have Kirkland 3 piece.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/callaway-2020-diablo-tour-golf-balls-19cwym2020dbltrxxgbl/19cwym2020dbltrxxgbl

I still have 3 dozen left of the 5 dozen I've purchased of the Diablo Tours.  Fantastic ball.  Don't know which I like better.....Diablo Tour or Vice Tour.

On 8/24/2020 at 9:13 PM, jons1 said:

Maxfli will not be anywhere near as consistent as a ProV1.  In fact, I don't think ANY ball on the market is as consistent from ball to ball, let alone Maxfli.  You get what you pay for.  If you're just hacking it around a course and lose half the balls you play with anyway, OK, save some money.  But if you want to play your best possible round, and playing your best means consistent and predicable performance, than you'll spring for the extra $5-10 for 12 balls.

Could not agree more!

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few years Srixon has run a limited time promotion (about 2 weeks long I recall) where you can get the Srixon Z-Star for $20/dozen.  This year it was around Father's Day.  It's by far the best deal out there.  I have 5 dozen in reserve.  I think the Z-Star's durability is much better than the Pro V1 and I'd bet the typical recreational golfer couldn't tell the difference in their score between the Z-Star and the Pro V1, or any other tour level ball.