Most durable premium golf ball?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Durable? Every golf ball seems to last longer then I'm capable of keeping it. I don't even concern myself with durability when purchasing golf balls.

In my own experience, the TP5x is the most durable of the premium balls. I mostly play the TP5, but the X really shines in durability. I can also say that it is far more durable than my other play ba

ProV1 are very durable.

Srixon Z-Star and XV in Yellow. I’ve been testing those against Titleist ProV1 and Bridgestone Tour B XS. The Srixon look brand new after 12 holes and 2-3 multi hour chipping sessions. The Titleist is gray on the surface of all the dimples and has some scuffing. The Bridgestone is somewhere in between.

I do have a hard time telling if the yellow masks some of the wear though. I guess I’d have to check the yellow ProV1 or white Srixons for a fully controlled test.

I believe the Bridgestone Tour B line is really strong on durability. I think I played about 5 9-hole rounds last year with the same type ball and still have 3 balls from my first box that

20200621-215044.jpgI use now as practice and they are still in playable condition with a single ball and that was from rough, trees and bunkers. In fact Rick Shiels did a great 2020 Tour B XS Tiger ball on YT a couple of days ago and even he says its the best for durability.

To some extent though i think the majority of balls are durable but i guess it depends on how much the ball responds to the new wedges and Irons. It would be a great test to do :)

(Pic shows practice wear after about 8weeks of chipping and pitching in my back garden)

Cover durability is, IMO, a thing of the past. There was a time when ProV covers scared and cut easily but that has since been fixed. I am sure that's been the case with most other OEM ball manufactures. The more the ball is geared to mid-hi caps, the quicker covers were improved. I don't discount some people still shred covers but those swings are never going to get a ball with that hard of a cover.

Now-a-days, I play a ProV or AVX for 5-10 rds before discarding it to swag bag.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

More from wedges yes. I have been playing the Z Star XV and I noticed after a few zippy wedge shots, the cover was showing some definite signs of wear. I love the ball because of price, and its good, but I'm just curious if there are balls out there with more durability. I have some Pro V1s, Pro V1xs, Bridgestone tour Bx, and Bridgestone Tour Bxs to try. Guess we will see.

TP5x - Pro V1 - Snell Black - Srixon XV would be my current list. The TP5x being the most durable for me. ** Granted varies on how good my ball striking is that day with the wedges.

Really want to try the Wilson STAFF ball but appears it is online only? Don't want to buy a full dozen, just need a sleeve to test first.

I've found the same. The 2019 TP5x worked pretty well for me durability wise. The 2020 has been not good. Noticeable scuffing going all the way to pretty bad tears, maybe I just got a bit unlucky with the batch mine came from. I have had one make it through 9 holes without noticeable enough scuffs that I feel would impact the ball, generally a wedge out of a bunker or something spinny from a tight lie is taking off some of the outer layer. Pro V has been much better as far as durability. I finally found some of the new Chrome Soft X in stock and so far those have been playing really well all around also and since I use a line for putting, the triple track already on them has been nice (plus the permanent marker line smears instantly if it's anywhere near the club face so the actual printed lines are nice since they don't smear).

• Like 1

The '19 TP5x was almost indestructible. The '20 model (yellow ) not so much. I've hit from three different batches of the new X and they are a durability disappointment.

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

Here's a standard Z Star after 36 holes. The seam does seem to appear out of nowhere after a few holes but other than that I'm impressed with the durability. (I'm a ~100mph driver SS player, I'm used to small marks but no fish gills after full wedge shots.)

img-3931-jpg.jpg

img-4109-jpg.jpg

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Titleist 818H1, 21 (set to 20), Tensei White Pro 90, S

Callaway Apex Forged 19, 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Ping Glide 2.0, 52.12 & 56.12

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Odyssey Triple Track 10 S, 34" / Odyssey SL1, 33.5"

ProV1 / Z Star XV

I haven't really noticed any noticeable durability differences between premium balls. These include all of the following which I have played for a time during the last couple years.

Snell MTB-X / Black

Srixon Z Star

Bridgestone Tour B RX (2020 and prior version)

Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

Oncore Elixir

Let's face it, if you have a steep attack angle and hit your wedge a lot, you're probably going to see more wear. And if you're banging your ball into the cart path and trees, or golf carts, then I've yet to see a ball that doesn't show some wear.

Correct. Definitely nothing noticeable and I will keep playing it until it finds its final resting place in a thick wooded area.

Ping G410LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Titleist 818H1, 21 (set to 20), Tensei White Pro 90, S

Callaway Apex Forged 19, 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120 X

Ping Glide 2.0, 52.12 & 56.12

Callaway Jaws MD5, 60.8

Odyssey Triple Track 10 S, 34" / Odyssey SL1, 33.5"

ProV1 / Z Star XV