1 hour ago, Myherobobhope said:

A few years back, my dad and I (both avid golfers) were playing with my brother in law (not an avid golfer) over the winter in Palm Springs, CA. Get to the fifth hole, it's about 180... Dad and I both hit decent shots onto the green... BIL yanks a hybrid into the hill on the left side of the green, takes a huge bounce right, and slowly makes its way towards the cup... IT'S IN THE HOLE.

Did we play 18? No. Did he buy drinks? Also, no. 

Did my grandmother, who lived on the course happen to have a large painting of the exact hole hanging in her house, which is now hanging in my sister's house in Idaho? Yes. 

Weird freaking day.

Good story; which course? (I've played a lot down there, just curious). 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I have a candidate from this past weekend. The par-3 3rd @ Northdale, Tampa FL was playing about 150 over water. The greens were aerated this week, so I had no expectations regarding score s

Playing with my brother in law, fun to play with because I never know what I’m going to see and he’s an ATM, but not good and doesn’t seem to realize it. I’ve never seen him break a hundred yet he get

A few years back, my dad and I (both avid golfers) were playing with my brother in law (not an avid golfer) over the winter in Palm Springs, CA. Get to the fifth hole, it's about 180... Dad and I both

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PJE said:

El Dorado in Indian Wells... Not a bad track.

If I remember, I'll get a picture of the painting next time I see my sister.

Edited by Myherobobhope

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 hours ago, PJE said:

Thanks! Yep, very nice (haven't played that one, of course, ha ha!)

Id invite you to join me next time I’m out there, but I don’t think I’m headed that direction for another year or so.

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

My drive narrowly missed one of the windmill blades and made it through the Clown's mouth, past the small opening in the Stonehenge hazard right into the cup ....... ACE!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S   ||  3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Like most golfers, I have hit a ton of 'pretty' shots that have come close but never went in. If I got an ugly hio, I would be very happy, and get some justification for all the pretty shots that never went in.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 6/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, MikeW2 said:

Playing with my brother in law, fun to play with because I never know what I’m going to see and he’s an ATM, but not good and doesn’t seem to realize it. I’ve never seen him break a hundred yet he gets nuclear level pissed off at his really bad shots. Par 3 playing about 160 yards, he chooses a 6 iron which I knew wasn’t enough club and subconsciously he must’ve too, massive over swing. Ball went relatively straight about 5 feet in the air. The volcano erupted, club thrown about 30 yards, storming off to the side cursing the stupid sport. Ball hits a tree behind the green flush, comes back towards the hole, tracking right at it. He’s still muttering to himself as I’m watching the ball thinking to myself “are you effing kidding me?” Then it dropped in. A second or two goes by and he’s somewhat recomposed himself and asked where did it go. “Oh, it went in the hole.” Complete 180 and I now get to watch an elated eruption. He went full Ricky Bobby and had all his clothes off sprinting to the green. An unforgettable 5 minutes for sure.

You, sir, have a great way with words! I literally laughed out loud reading this! LMAO

• Haha 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° | Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 60-S
TaylorMade M2 15° | Project X Evenflow Blue Handcrafted 75 6.0
TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 19.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 80S
Srixon ZX7 4-PW | Dynamic Gold AMT Tour Issue S400

Titleist Vokey SM7 50°, 54°, 58° | Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ 115

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten S
Titleist ProV1X 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 9:37 AM, PJE said:

As promised, we dug this out of storage and tried to convince my sister to hang it behind their dining room table.

84C2A735-250C-4118-86DB-1CB9F210F401.jpeg

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

We played a 4 man $ scramble for 20 years.  Two day travel event.  Good buddy makes an ace in the practice round ... and it was a rancid cold skulled 8 iron off an elevated tee.  Hit 10 yards short, one hopped and hit halfway up the pin going a zillion miles per hour ... and dropped in 

that was a lot of skins cash in the main event.

Ping G400 Max Fuji Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

On 6/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, MikeW2 said:

Playing with my brother in law, fun to play with because I never know what I’m going to see and he’s an ATM, but not good and doesn’t seem to realize it. I’ve never seen him break a hundred yet he gets nuclear level pissed off at his really bad shots. Par 3 playing about 160 yards, he chooses a 6 iron which I knew wasn’t enough club and subconsciously he must’ve too, massive over swing. Ball went relatively straight about 5 feet in the air. The volcano erupted, club thrown about 30 yards, storming off to the side cursing the stupid sport. Ball hits a tree behind the green flush, comes back towards the hole, tracking right at it. He’s still muttering to himself as I’m watching the ball thinking to myself “are you effing kidding me?” Then it dropped in. A second or two goes by and he’s somewhat recomposed himself and asked where did it go. “Oh, it went in the hole.” Complete 180 and I now get to watch an elated eruption. He went full Ricky Bobby and had all his clothes off sprinting to the green. An unforgettable 5 minutes for sure.

This was gold 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two ugly ones: 

-My dad hit a five iron about 3 feet off the ground, completely bladed. I watched in disbelief as it rolled up a hill, right into the hole

-There's a short par 3 at my course growing up with a big hill to the left of the green, well known as a "member's bounce" type situation that can funnel misses left of the green back down if the rough isn't grown out. At the apex of the hill is a cart path. Friend hit a dead pull 20 yards left of the green, hit the path, bounced onto the green and in. 

Callaway Rogue, AD-TP 6S
Callaway Epic Flash 3W        
Titleist U500, Tensei White 90 S
Miura Y Grind, Nippon Modus3 120S
Vokey SM7 52, 56 Callaway PM 60
Artisan 0217, Customer #62

On 2/13/2021 at 4:07 PM, Myherobobhope said:

As promised, we dug this out of storage and tried to convince my sister to hang it behind their dining room table.

84C2A735-250C-4118-86DB-1CB9F210F401.jpeg

Well, that's very nice!  One thing about golf in Palm Springs, it's still the desert, but the courses that are adjacent to the mountains are pretty. 

• Like 1

So back in the early 90's, I was living in Wichita and playing in the men's league at MacDonald Park golf course.  Great muni if you have never played it.  Anyway there was this older guy in our group named Henry, he must have been approaching 80 years old.  Henry wasn't having the best day, and was getting tired and frustrated.  We reached #17, which is a short downhill par 3 over water, with a cart path left of the green.  From the tees we were playing it was probably a 9 iron or PW for most people......Henry pulls a 6 iron, he's mumbling about how much he sucks....he takes a hack at it.  

He hits a low pull hook, that went left of the pond, hit the cart path short of the green and it was heading dead left of the green..BUT when it struck the cart path it shot back right at a 45 degree angle and hit the top of the flag stick.  The ball literally rolled down the stick, hit the bottom of the cup, bounced in the air, went into the hole again, bounced in the air a 2nd time and then went into the cup for a 1.  

Henry was stunned, then he gathered his composure, he jumped in his cart, and said I'm going home, I am NOT playing 18, no way I am buying drinks for those a******* in the clubhouse.  Thanks guys!

We told the pro what happened and he got Henrys name in the paper in the sports page where they listed all the local hole in one's.  

That shot, the look on his face when it went in will always be etched in my mind, I probably only played golf with him twice, but I will always remember his name.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

I think of myself lucky in that I have had 3 but the only one of the 3 that I saw go in was the worst and most recent of the three.

First one - 220 par 3, slope in front of the green meaning that it is hard to see the bottom of the flag when the pin is on the middle or left hand side of the green. Get up to the green having hit a really good shot. No sign of it on the green, no sign of it over the green which is pretty thick rough. Joking look in the hole and there it is.

Second one - 189 par 3, you can see everything on the green which is a little downhill but we were playing late afternoon and into the sun. There had been a really brief rain shower. The green looked like a pond glistening away. Brilliant 7 iron. Quite honestly, maybe the feeling strike I have ever had. Little draw looked perfect but lands on the green and not one of us could see it. Get down to the hole and there is no sign of a ball but I do see a pitch mark. Take a look and there it is!

Third one - same hole as the second. 6 iron, pulled waaaaaay left. Catches mounds the hill on the left and bounces towards the green. Think to myself that is “lucky”. See it roll to toward the hole and think that is “really lucky”. It falls in and my friends girlfriend at the time who was tall, blonde, gorgeous and a scratch golfer comes running over to me and jumps on to me for a hug and I am thinking that that is “really really lucky” Ugly shot, definitely not an ugly result 😂

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

One of my regular golf partners when I lived in SoCal was, at best, an erratic hacker.  He is the only guy I've ever seen hit down so hard on the ball with his driver that it popped straight up and landed behind him.  So here we are one morning on a rather straight forward 160 yard par 3.  His tee shot started out headed about 20 yards left of the green, made an almost complete U turn to the right, landed on the upper left corner of the green and continued the roll downhill and into the cup.  Best or worst part of it all depending on your point of view, was that he never saw it go in.  He had quit watching when the ball started left and was busy slamming his club in the ground and screaming about his swing.

Playing the hole in the photo with another WRXer in 2015. His tee shot with a hybrid on this ~180ish par 3 from the whites, hole #4 at Royal Hylands in Knightstown, IN, landed near where the cart path turns right away from the green and bounced down the last 20 yards and into the hole on the front right of the green. As we were playing through a group. Even he would admit it was ugly, but effective.

uploaded-photo80132414-1024x579.png