Palm Springs Area Course Conditions

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Played PGA West Stadium and both Indian Wells courses a little over a month ago. The Stadium Course had a few fringe area/greens that were being worked on. Both IW courses were in great shape. Can't

This weekend is La Quinta Mountain's first weekend open after overseed and will be cart path only. Depends which PGA West course you're playing, but they will all be cart path only as well for another

I have not played Stadium recently but heard they had some issues over the summer. I'd assume this was addressed during the overseed but again, no firsthand knowledge. It's been hotter than usual for

• 2 weeks later...

As an fyi I played Terra Lago north and eagle falls last week. First time for both. Terra Lago was a beast especially with the winds up around 20-30 mph. It felt like survival all round. Pretty open to the elements and the course was in ok shape. Eagle Falls on the other hand was a blast. Course in great shape and somewhat protected from the wind. I would say it's a very playable course and reminded me of Firecliff. Would definitely play this one again and the price is very reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone play the stadium course lately? Staying at a house in the area in 2 weeks with some friends and looking to play a few rounds. Keep hearing the stadium course is in bad shape.

if not the stadium course, any other recommendations in the area that’s in great condition. Thanks,

Callaway Epic Flash TD - Graphite Design VR

Callaway Epic SZ 15* 

Callaway Apex 20*

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Spider X

Yeh I'm curious as well if all the courses there are open and back to normal. Went there last year and seriously considering going back in about 6 - 7 weeks.

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Leaving in less than 2 weeks, booked Terra Lago north for $55 on day 1, then pga west Norman course for $72 on Monday, leaving other days open for now

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I am heading out there the week after Thanksgiving for the first time looking for recommendations on courses to play.  I am staying right by Terra Lago, but will have a car and am willing to drive a decent way to play.  I am a ClubCorp member so I can play Mission Hills / Indian Wells / Desert Falls twice each for just the cart fee.  Which courses are the better ones at Mission Hills / Indian Wells?  Apparently there is a discount available for Rams Hill as well, is that worth the drive?

Other recommendations for public courses?

6 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

I am heading out there the week after Thanksgiving for the first time looking for recommendations on courses to play.  I am staying right by Terra Lago, but will have a car and am willing to drive a decent way to play.  I am a ClubCorp member so I can play Mission Hills / Indian Wells / Desert Falls twice each for just the cart fee.  Which courses are the better ones at Mission Hills / Indian Wells?  Apparently there is a discount available for Rams Hill as well, is that worth the drive?

The Mission Hills Dinah Shore course is well worth playing. Desert Falls is very meh, except for the fact you can play for cart fees. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 7:36 AM, oneunderbogey said:

Dinah Shore is the best at Mission Hills, I prefer the Cove at IWCC but 18 on the Classic is the best hole on either course.

Damn ClubCorp changed the rules no access to the Dinah Shore course Nov - May, looks like I wont be playing that one.  The Dye course is coming out of overseed 11/30, I will probably still play it once (I tend to like dye courses).  Thoughts on Palmer vs Cove?  I will probably play Dye once considering the overseed schedule, than 4 rounds split between Palmer, Cove, Classic and Desert Falls (skip?).  6 Rounds on non ClubCorp courses.  So far I have Desert Willow - Mountain and PGA Stadium booked.  Probably Classic Club and Terra Lago then 2 rounds at Coral Mountain with my buddy. 

11 Rounds in 6 Days... I'm ambitious

2 hours ago, oneunderbogey said:

Damn ClubCorp changed the rules no access to the Dinah Shore course Nov - May, looks like I wont be playing that one.  The Dye course is coming out of overseed 11/30, I will probably still play it once (I tend to like dye courses).  Thoughts on Palmer vs Cove?  I will probably play Dye once considering the overseed schedule, than 4 rounds split between Palmer, Cove, Classic and Desert Falls (skip?).  6 Rounds on non ClubCorp courses.  So far I have Desert Willow - Mountain and PGA Stadium booked.  Probably Classic Club and Terra Lago then 2 rounds at Coral Mountain with my buddy. 

11 Rounds in 6 Days... I'm ambitious

I'm a member at IWCC and the Cove looks like it's in pristine condition right now. I've been limited to range time all week but I'm playing Cove on Friday morning and will let you know.

6 hours ago, eagles1 said:

I am playing PGA West and LaQuinta Mountain this weekend?  Anyone know present conditions?

This weekend is La Quinta Mountain's first weekend open after overseed and will be cart path only. Depends which PGA West course you're playing, but they will all be cart path only as well for another 1-2 weeks.

Edited by doobz
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, doobz said:

This weekend is La Quinta Mountain's first weekend open after overseed and will be cart path only. Depends which PGA West course you're playing, but they will all be cart path only as well for another 1-2 weeks.

Thank you for the info.  I'm playing Stadium.  Any idea on present conditions for both Stadium and Mountain, given the overseeding?  I'm not familiar with how much it affects play.

Edited by eagles1
On 11/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, eagles1 said:

Thank you for the info.  I'm playing Stadium.  Any idea on present conditions for both Stadium and Mountain, given the overseeding?  I'm not familiar with how much it affects play.

I have not played Stadium recently but heard they had some issues over the summer. I'd assume this was addressed during the overseed but again, no firsthand knowledge. It's been hotter than usual for the fall here so a lot of the courses had trouble with the overseed because the Bermuda didn't die off as quickly as it usually does. 

All in all, I would expect both courses to be in fine shape as they are both first class but to play much slower (fairways and greens) than you'd expect.

Edited by doobz
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, doobz said:

I have not played Stadium recently but heard they had some issues w/ an herbicide used to kill off some invasive grass species. I'd assume this was addressed during the overseed but again, no firsthand knowledge. It's been hotter than usual for the fall here so a lot of the courses had trouble with the overseed because the Bermuda didn't die off as quickly as it usually does. 

All in all, I would expect both courses to be in fine shape as they are both first class but to play much slower (fairways and greens) than you'd expect.

He might be too kind with the conditions.  Expect very soft conditions and long grass especially around greens.  And SLOW greens.  If you do play, take a laser range finder with you.  Cart GPS will usually only get you into the ballpark distance.  Be prepared to carry at least 3 clubs to every shot and hope you have the right one once you get there.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

34 minutes ago, oneunderbogey said:

PGA West - Nicklaus vs La Quintia dunes for 11/30.  Nicklaus is an extra $40 worth it? 

The Dunes course isn't the Mountain Course.  Looks fairly tight in amongst the housing.  Not to say there isn't lots of housing around the Nicklaus, but it isn't as tight to the course.  The Nicklaus will be more challenging - that is for sure.  So from a having nice day without a ton of challenging lies point of view, you might want the Dunes.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize