Consistency in GI irons

"at least know I need all my stuff 2 degrees flat"

You probably already know this but not all manufacturers and not all iron styles from the same manufacturer have the SAME lie angles from iron style to iron style.

Some styles are more upright that a similar style.

So you may be +2 in one iron and +.5 in another.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been a plus cap twice in my life and both times were using Ping G series irons. This could be a coincidence as i've been 0-2 pretty much the last 10 years so you're going to get hot and cold, but

So true! DeNinny knows more (in his mind) about club design than the collective knowledge of real club designers world wide. And this topic of GI clubs being inaccurate has been discussed ad nausea

TBH I might have been jebaited here cause it literally feels like such a post, and if it is I for sure was jebaited but here goes: Jesus this is some short sighted BS, looking at it from only one pers

I’d love to see DeNinny’s take on the Srixon 5x5 range of irons ....... stupidly forgiving and with the v sole. I presume they’re far harder to hit than Z Forged by his logic?

My opinion is that the mind is far stronger in determining how you hit different type irons than the actual design. To me, I can’t look down at an SGI and feel confident but that’s me. I’m accustomed to hitting player’s cavities or blades and have done for 20+ years. It’s the same with drivers ...... a 460cc head to me feels/looks ‘slow’ and unwieldy

The ‘distance consistency’ issue is another one that I’d argue is player’s strike consistency derived and not a club issue. I’d also argue that ball response is far more likely the culprit. I’ll throw every Chromesoft I find in the lake to save someone else from using the junk.

The biggest issue that puts me off SGI irons and particularly hollow bodies is the sounds I hear from them ...... read under square Nike driver etc.

if somebody gave me a set of G400 or G410 irons I’d play them in a heartbeat with the right shaft. I’ve warmed up with them when doing woods fittings and they were awesome.

Bottom line is demo what you see as making you feel confident looking down at them. By demo I mean hitting the long, mid and short irons. Hitting just the 6/7 irons from sets is pointless as they’re generally very easy to get used to within a few balls. The long irons will tell you if they’re too unforgiving and the short irons 9/pw are scoring clubs like wedges.

Last thing ...... someone else’s opinion on a set of irons is about as subjective as someone’s opinion on a person’s looks!

• Like 1

Dave nailed it! I couldn't agree more.

I played blades for more than a decade and then slowly started moving to players CB's while seeking more forgiveness. During my early years I couldn't stand the look of large irons. I eventually found some players CB's I could stand to look at but it took an 8 year layoff from golf before I came to appreciate full size GI irons w/offset. As they say it's a journey not a destination.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I've gone back and forth from Ping G to I series irons for the last 20 years. The lowest score I've ever shot is 71 and I've done it with both G and I irons. I've never noticed the G to be less accurate or consistent than the I irons. Also the lowest hdcp I've had has been a 6, and I've been a 6 while playing both G and I. Right now I have the ie1 and G400 and like both sets. I think its all about what gives you the most confidence.

Cobra F8
Ping G400 17*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

I have played to a 8 and hope to get back there this year and fight a hook so I prefer clubs with very little offset, mostly cavity back blade type clubs. I have been playing some Golfsmith Tour Cavity but am going to make the switch too a more GI club - Acer XV Tour (after reading about it here on the forum) because my home course puts a premium on high approach shots(hard elevated greens) with lots of hills.

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

I have always believed that the "game improvement hot spot" was complete urban legend that was totally dependent on strike quality (or lack thereof).

I shot a 76 yesterday with an I3 Osize set, a G15 4 iron, and a sleeve of Tour Softs. I do like the feel of a ProV1 off the face of a blade as I watch it fly into a greenside bunker.

• Like 1

I've played blades, MB, CB, and G series type of irons. Was able to play low rounds with all of them. The G series type of iron were deadly straight and always went the same distance. In fact, that is why I moved away from them ... they couldn't be finessed, but boy where they precise. They also had the older grooves and so I couldn't use them in competition.

My current irons happen to work the best for me. If I'm a bit fat they cut through the turf like a hot blade. Toe shots go dead straight with little loss of yardage if I hit the ball cleanly. Plus, I can finesse them to my heart's content.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie