2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

To be the good golfer

trilerian

As a "new" golfer and someone who plays as a single with random people, I generally am the worst golfer in the bunch. This year I have finally started to hold my own against other people and have even been the best of the group. Stats and HC be damned it just feels nice to play well in front of others. I usually start off the conversation at the first tee by warning people I am not that great but I keep pace and always have fun. However, the other month I did my usual "I pre-apologize for sucking" speech and preceded to have a fantastic round while my partner had a terrible round. I could tell he was good but having a very off round, I felt like an idiot for saying how terrible I was before playing very well. Perhaps its time to drop the pre-warning and just play? 

Also, when am I not a "new" golfer? 3 years into playing? 5? 

I often go out as a single and because of COVID-19 causing the courses to be busy I've frequently been paired up with either another single or a twosome.  Many of these guys I've played with have either been outright newbies or guys that typically only play a couple times a season but playing more this year due to lack of leisure options due to closures/limits on mass gatherings.  As such I've found myself to be the "good" golfer of the group more often than not this year.   At the end of one round a guy I played with was genuinely curious about what I shot and when I said "85" he couldn't believe it.  He thought I easily shot in the 70s. I think a lot of new players see someone that regularly hits fairway with drives and doesn't duff many approach shots and they get mesmerized by that and gloss over the greenside strokes.  

The usual friends I play with have a hard time beating me, and most don't even try. Now when i play with better players I find I step up my game and play a lot better, and don't usually lose by much, and I am a 17 hdcp who can shoot 81 at times. Plus my game has really taken off since my health is doing much better. I would love to get down to a ten!! and shoot in the 70"s!!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 6/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, smashdn said:

I play better when playing with better players too. Guys have told me that the best way to get better is to play with better golfers and have a little something riding on the game.

100%. Playing with people better than me has got me to where I’m at. Putting enough on the line to make it sting a little bit has motivated me to get better. 

Used to be a +5, now my handicap floats around scratch to +1-2. I have been the "best" golfer of whatever group of friends or randoms I'm playing with for at least the past 10+ years.

To be honest, it sucks. I'd kill to find a group of players where I'm instead the worst one of the group...

Edited by tgoodspe1991

I think if you want to be a "good golfer" all you have to do is take your lumps in a stoic and classy fashion, play without delay, and demonstrate a understanding and respect for the rules, the course, proper etiquette, and your fellow playing partners.   

Edited by Dr. Block

I played 4 years in college and that humbled me real quick.  I played the #2 on the team and hovered around +1 to scratch depending on the day.  I played with kids that were lights out all the time in tournaments, you think you're game is good until you see someone go out and stroll through a 63 like it's nothing while your grinding out a high 60 low 70 round.   

I play with 3 ex-college baseball players 2-3 times a month whom are my best friends.  All great athletes but have baseball swings to a t with a golf club.  I enjoy helping them and seeing them progress when we practice together and advising on the course with the mental aspect.  I'm typically the best golfer in my group when I go out as a single and usually keep to myself and don't offer advice or swing tips to anyone unless asked.   When I play solo I just focus on the course and my shots, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me if people in my group are going to fire a 120 or worse.   I play golf to let my mind relax and enjoy the 4 hours away from regular life.  I commonly get asked how do you get so good at this or does this game get boring to you?  Answer is always not at all , golfs a game that treats you one week and annihilates you the next.  

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

If you golf long enough, are open to golfing with new people, and take your game seriously you will experience this. Its a great feeling, especially if you are golfing well for your standards and not just theirs. 

And, every now and then, you will be paired up with a 13 year old girl who beats you up and stuffs you in your locker from one tee farther back. As a 37 year old man I was out driving her. Albeit not by much. I think it was the crowd. We were the only two golfers but both her parents, her coach, and three other people who never introduced themselves watched all 18 holes. They were clapping at good shots. Which was often. It was like being in some strange dystopian movie or a bad dream. There are 4 tee boxes near the clubhouse where a small crowd would gather to watch her tee off for christ sakes. I could hear people talk as I would walk a tee up after she hit. If there wasn’t 6 observers in our group id join her on the back tees for those holes. 

In the end I think we are attracted to golf because it is a challenge. Without rounds like that I wouldn't be able to enjoy breaking 80 for the first time on a former PGA tournament course. Golf is humbling and it requires character to attempt to be a better golfer. 

Cheers, Jeff

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Though I would much prefer to be the weakest player as you will learn a lot more if pay attention, those experiences are pretty common if you play a lot alone and join with others. I think it comes down to the fact most non serious or average golfers just never see people who can be solid players. I personally relish the opportunity but only a couple good shots and that is all they remember. 

I was out with a friend early this year and we got paired up with a nice father and son. I felt like I was hacking and we finally get to a par 5 at #5. I have maybe 250 and tree trouble. I hit a low runner trying to miss the tree with a 3w that clips branch in front of me but eventually rolls up to front edge. Father says “wow are you A professional?” I laugh and say you remember the prior 4 holes? I play solid the rest of the way but most people just don’t see a lot of good golf I believe. I am ok but far from what I consider a true baller at a 6. The same thing happens on the tennis courts with people who just don’t know what really good looks like. 

Smile and enjoy your few seconds of glory but forget about it or the golf gods will wack you sooner rather than later.