Father son Scotland trip

Zski

Just starting planning a Father son Scotland trip for next May for my sons HS graduation gift

Can’t break the bank as college costs are coming so looking for value courses plus I prefer the more authentic experience of playing the less touristy tracks

On west coast staying at Turnberry with Marriott points so playing both courses there plus I think Preswick St Nicks and Gailes

I loved Dunbar on my last trip so I think that is on my list unless someone has a better value play which could be a replay for 50 pounds at Gailes?

Will do ballot for old course plus New and Crail (which course at Crail?)

So final choices come down to Leven or Eile / Earlsferry if we don’t get ballot on Old Course. Would you skip New for any of these?

We have 5 nights 4 rounds on the west coast. A day in Edinburgh with no golf so only one round on the south side of the firth. Then 3 rounds in Fife StA. My son is an elite level ski racer so a excellent athlete but does not get much time to play golf so I don’t want the courses to be too difficult. I’m trying to be reasonable about how much time we spend driving as well. Not doing any 36 hole days as he wants to have time to see other stuff.

I’d hope to play some rounds at the smaller clubs with members. How do you go about setting that up?

For Crail if you want the old school experience go for the Balcomie Links. It is the original course and it's a hoot.

I actually quite liked New and Jubillee so you may want to consider the 3 day pass and add Castle if you don't get onto TOC.

For all of the non big name courses you should be able to just book online. If there's a spot with only two places available good chance you'll get on with a member.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Leven and Elie are both good, but I would suggest you try Elie first.

Dunbar is quite a distance out of the way from Fife. You may want to consider adding another game in Fife instead. St Andrews Eden is good and relatively cheap, though not as good as Dunbar. Lundin Links is good as well.

If you do go to East Lothian try North Berwick...it has a high probability of being the highlight of the trip. If you are really trying to save money try Braid Hills. Also, it might be worth stopping in Anstruther for its odd 9 holer and fish n chips.

Sounds great but not sure what you are looking for as it seems all pretty much planned out. And if you are staying and playing both courses at Turnberry you probably have already broken the bank, lol, I wouldn't call that a "value" in a money sense or less "touristy", but not saying the experience isn't worth what you will be paying for it. It does preclude a lot of other options, if money really is a concern. If you are staying at the hotel at Turnberry all 5 nights you are making some long drives up the coast and back to play other courses, not the best base. If staying farther north a few nights, lots of options in Troon and Prestwick. If I'd wanted to part with the $$$$ we would have played Turnberry, I'd love to, but instead we spent the equivalent on all the other courses we played including Royal Troon and had money left over. ;-).

Pass on Prestwick St. Nicholas and play West Kilbride. We played both last summer. West Kilbride is a far better course, you can see the sea from pretty much anywhere, the turf is better and overall IMO the holes are more interesting and you won't feel crowded in - it's a beautiful location and a nothing of a drive from Troon. Playing with members? Hard to say unless someone on here contacts you or you send an email to the course I guess to see if some random members want to join you (they might). I did it by playing in a comp at Kilmarnock Barassie - I didn't end up with members, they paired me with two guys from Northern Ireland who play in that comp regularly. We had a blast and it just happened to be the day after we had driven down the coast past Turnberry and taken a ferry to Belfast for the day. Turned out to be a wonderful day on the links. After the first of next year there are a couple of sites you can find that will list competitions throughout Scotland, some take awhile to get their info in, but you can check the websites of individual courses for their comp schedules and they'll be up sometime in Jan/Feb/March. They tend to be about the same time each year at each course, but since there weren't any in May of this year, you probably won't get a lot of guidance. I suppose you could look at the May schedule for 2019, but with everything jumbled up, who knows what 2021 will look like.

My oldest daughter and I loved Crail Balcomie. If you want an Old Tom Morris course and an "authentic" experience - play it!

If you don't get on the ballot for The Old, why wouldn't you plat The New Course? It is literally right alongside and you'll be able to see The Old Course and it is historic in its own right. Plus you get to hang around St. Andrews and the area around the course and for heaven's sake spring for a couple of caddies. Can't get very much more "authentic" than The New Course.

Dunbar is a hike for only one round in East Lothian - why not North Berwick or Kilspindie? You loved Dunbar, but why not take in another experience?

Glad to hear you are taking a day in Edinburgh - see the castle, walk the nearby streets and take in the sights all around there as well - great area. BUT, take the time to take in the castle, the cathedral, golf museum in St. Andrews as well if you are going to take some real time to see other things.

Just my $.01 - have an awesome time!

Thanks Hawkeye for the detailed info

to clarify I’m using Marriott Points to stay at Trump Turnberry for free for 5 nights. How is that for value!

im checking to see if they offer a twilight rate for hotel guests on the open course there. The ratings on the new Bruce course are good and when staying at the hotel it’s fairly inexpensive to play plus I that is two days I don’t need to drive anywhere. Also looking forward to the Wee Links which sounds awesome.

i had West Kilbride on my Initial list. Thanks for the info on it. What about Gailes? I think the locals call it GG. These are about a 40 min drive from Turnberry Preswick StNics is closer. Any feedback between GG and Preswick StNic?

we also have 3 nights in Edinburgh at the Doubletree near the castle on points and one of those is the day we plan on the Dunbar round. I played West Berwick and loved it but I found the club a bit stuffy and thought my son would enjoy Dunbar better. Per google maps the drive time is about the same from Edinburgh as Dunbar is on bigger roads And I think less people drive out to Dunbar. On my last trip to Scotland Dunbar was my fav.

in StA I’m between staying at The Scores or an Airbnb. Has anyone stayed at Scores? we definitely are going to play Crail Balcomie and the New. If we can’t get on the Old then that round will be Eile I think

I stayed at Turnberry for a couple nights with my wife last fall. We had a great stay, just a wonderful property. Fantastic views from the restaurants and bar. I only played Robert the Bruce as it wasn’t a “golf trip” so I was on my own with rental clubs. Didn’t want to spring for the Ailsa course. RB course was very enjoyable and not that expensive. A couple really cool holes by the Firth. Walked several holes on Ailsa... it looked absolutely spectacular. Definitely want to get back for another stay... bring my clubs and play both courses. Enjoy!!!

wow that was some deal at Turnberry.

I stayed three nights last year and got a deal at 260 pounds a night! golf was 320 as you are staying at the hotel.

To me Turnberry is the best links course I have played, wasn't very hard but for views and just being a good fair course it was awesome!

The set menu att eh fancy restaurant in the hotel was great, if you are a wine person then they have some selection of wine.

If we get back to Scotland in August/ September, I think we are heading there for high tea. fingers crossed for a covid golf deal too!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

LOL, that's a big clarification! Makes Turnberry a no brainer - sounds great. Will say I enjoyed the roads north out of Troon a lot more than I enjoyed the road south, but we drove to the ferry mostly in the dark and pouring rain and drove back from the ferry in total darkness and pouring rain - ick, so can't comment much on the views, haha.

Glasgow Gailes looks great, I'm sure some on here have played it. Guarantee it's better than Prestwick St. Nicholas just by looking at the website.

Yep on Dunbar driving, totally forgot how much you go north to get to North Berwick. Our experience at the West Links was apparently the opposite of yours. The gentleman in charge of greeting and guiding us was a hoot, couldn't have been nicer - showed us the ins and outs of the locker rooms, reminded us we had use of the clubhouse and the servers upstairs were super. We regretted we couldn't hang out longer each of the days we played. I wish we had made time for Dunbar - looks spectacular.

Turnberry is very good, one of my favourites. RTB course is ok, but the Alisa is far far better.

Glasgow Gailes is OK, West Kilbride is better for me and Western Gailes is arguably better than them both - of course is down to personal choice and none of them are bad.

On the East coast North Berwick is still my number one choice, you will get the best welcome anywhere there - away from the "noise" and crowds of St Andrews.

Kilspindie is fantastic and a real hidden gem.

The new Dumbarnie links is also very impressive, played there a couple of weeks ago - it will become one of the best for sure - get it now before they jack the prices right up to Kingsbarns prices!

You're getting serious dad bonus points OP. You're laying the groundwork for getting put into a fancy old-age home when the time comes and not one of those bad places ;-)

I get the using points thing and where you will be staying and playing is surrounded by fantastic golf, but TBH none of it matches up with an 'authentic experience'. It's like staying in Times Square and asking where are the best hidden gem restaurants native NYers go to. The smaller clubs are still in the catchment area of all the tourist trail courses and have set up their access to match, just at a cheaper rate and with no bag tag thrown in.

If you want a day out, skip Dunbar and go play Goswick (1h 20min vs 40min). Cool coastal villages like St Abbs on the way down, walled town of Berwick (no not that one ;-), and just South of the course the twee village of Bamburgh with it's gigantic castle on the beach.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I played Glasgow Gailes a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it. From the website, I pictured it being flat and dull. It WAS pretty level overall, but it was a lot of fun to play. The course takes advantage of every little ripple in the ground, with a couple of sunken greens, a couple perched on little mounds, very nice, and the staff was probably the most welcoming of any of the courses we played. That said, I thought Western Gailes was the better golf course, more demanding, and with more dramatic terrain.

We also had a very pleasant experience at Dunbar. The young pro (I'm guessing an assistant) spent a good 15 minutes with us talking about playing in the wind. The course is fun, winding along the coast and totally exposed to the wind. The clubhouse was very nice as well, we had a bit of the craic with a few of the locals who had played both in front of and behind us.

• Like 1

does anyone know how many months in advance you can book tee times for next May / June?

tentative courses

turnberry robert the bruce

west kilbride

turnberry Ailsa

preswick st nicks

day off the visit castle in Edinburgh

eile

StA New - would skip this one if we get on old course

Crail Balcomie

(old course ballot on the 3 days in Fife of course)

dunbar

glen (East course of North Berwick)

trying to stick to golf budget of around $2000 and this comes in pretty close with Jr rates for my son and some twilight rates

^You'll simply need to go to their websites and/or contact them via email/phone. A number of those I wouldn't even bother until you're on the ground or about to leave, but with the big name ones just contact them directly. Now through... IDK... 2022 maybe is going to be a bit ropey, so I am sure they'd be happy to have your deposits as soon as is reasonable.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Elie is a wonderful course, incredible views and very funny, only con is that there are only par 4s and par 3s, no par 5...but some per 4s are drivable. MUST PLAY.

I don't like the new course, very flat and boring...simple anyway. I prefer by far the jubilee.

You should try to play TOC, is a lifetime experience. You could try to book it in late agoust but you have to book also another course with it.

Leven is good, but I prefer Lundin links which is right next to Leven.

If you want to save money (a lot of money sometimes) you should check the site https://www.golfnow.co.uk/ I played some courses in the St. Andrews area half the price.

I noticed that the site changed a little bit ( before it was called  https://www.teeofftimes.co.uk/ ) and there aren't many offers right now, but check it in the future, it could be because the COVID 19.

Best offers are the day before playing.

West Kilbride better than Glasgow Gailes? You having a laugh? West Kilbride doesn't even come close to the challenge of Gailes both in terms of golf course design and condition.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Are you a member at WG/GG? ;-) Fair enough to have your pet courses that get the rose-tinted glasses treatment, but a traveling golfer is hardly ruining their day picking West Kilbride over Glasgow Gailes. And especially for someone who might otherwise be landlocked at home, there's always a little bonus being along the sea.

F.T.

They are if you imply WK is anywhere near the quality of course of Gailes. Look at all reviews, look at the history and its clear that there is a huge gulf in class.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

When you are in Ayrshire, Dundonald and Western Gailes are both very good. Kilmarnock Barassie is also worth a look.

When you are in Fife, Elie over Leven everyday of the week. Leven has two clubs attached to it and gets so much play. Lundin Links next to Leven is also very good.

Crail Balcomie is the better of the two courses there IMO. Ladybank just outside St Andrews is also very good.

You could go over the bridge to Carnoustie direction. Carnoustie is obviously excellent, Panmure near it is also good.

Down near Leven, Dumbarnie has been dismissed by others due to cost, however it is an excellent golf course.

Ok I’ve put GG on my planned itinerary

next question is between WK or Prestwick St Nics - any thoughts

my son is a musician and want to stay in Edinburgh to be able to listen to live music in pubs that he can’t do at home so we decided to end the route with Glen And Dunbar. We are staying at the Hilton Carlton seems like a good location.

I live in scotland and say you must play crail balcomie thats a must and affordable, play dunbar again thats a classic but west coast kilmarnock is decent but western gailes is the best, glasgow gailes ive played a few tennant cups there and its a really good golf course. i wudnt skip the new course for any of those either the new course is probably the better st andrews course and genuinely a fun course to play with great views so id do western gailes, prestwick, st andrews, glasgow gailes or crail balcomie. im actually playing the balcomie this friday can take some pictures for you as my playing partners bailed out and busy so just going round myself.