MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra SpeedZone and SpeedZone Xtreme Drivers! Read The Reviews Here!

[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/UN5NJB702NQW/cobradrivertest.jpg[/img]Members are out testing the new Cobra SpeedZone and SpeedZone Xtreme drivers head to head in order to report back to you with how they play. The testers are...@MitchellGolfing @Dpavs @CAT GOLFER @brew4eagle

Please feel free to ask the members any questions you might have on the drivers and their findings. We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Cobra for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Thanks to GolfWRX and Cobra for this awesome opportunity! My reviews will likely help the Regular Joes more than the 300 yd WRX bombers. Here's some background info...

About me- 43 years old, current HCP Index is 8.2 but it’s definitely on the way up as I have played very little golf the last 6 months. I started playing golf around 25 years ago. I have never been fitted for a driver, but I believe my swing speed is around 95 mph as my average carry is ~220-225 yds with an average total ~235-240 yds estimated from on-course yardages with GPS and using course markers. For a stock 150 yard shot I’ll usually go with a 7 iron, sometimes an 8 iron if it’s hot out and greens are firmer. I don’t practice or go to the range with the exception of hitting a few balls to warm-up about 10% of my rounds. I play around 25 rounds per year, mostly from April to August. The strengths of my game are consistency off the tee, course management, and short game. My weaknesses are long and mid approaches.

Current driver- PING i20 10.5*, which I have used continuously since 2013 and haven’t tested any drivers since. All stock specs with the TFC 707D R-flex shaft, which I just bought off the clearance rack without testing as I loved the look at address. I took it straight to the course and have loved it ever since, but I have no idea if it’s optimized for me or if I’m giving up some carry and/or roll. I didn’t even know the specs of the shaft until just now as I’m looking it up for this review process. From what I can find, it’s similar to the UST VTS Silver. Thus, I’m assuming that means for R flex it is around 65 grams, Medium launch, and 4.0* torque, but honestly I have no idea if that’s close or not. I went ahead and weighed it for the first time just now to get a feel vs. the Cobras, total weight = 316 grams.

What specs to order for the Cobra SPEEDZONE and XTREME? I would have loved to have been fitted first, but I couldn’t find anybody around that had the Cobra heads/shafts and/or could squeeze me in on short notice, especially with all that's going on with COVID-19. So, I just read up on the various shaft options on the Cobra website, which happens to have a great custom order interface (https://www.cobragolf.com/speedzone-driver-custom). However, there are TOO MANY CHOICES for this average consumer. Even though I visit WRX daily, I’m not the type that keeps up with all of the exotic, aftermarket shaft offerings (see my pedestrian swing speed!). I was honestly at a loss as to what to order, but that was a welcome problem to encounter! Below is what I came up with, my thinking was that a medium launch, 65ish grams weight shaft is what I’m used to, and I’m a R/S flex tweener so R flex in these non-‘made for’ versions should be a good fit vs. S flex.

1.     Cobra SPEEDZONE 10.5*, white color (love the matte black on my i20, so this color was a no brainer for me), Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60R, standard length, Cobra Connect Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip in standard size.

2.     Cobra SPEEDZONE XTREME 10.5*, white color, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 R-flex, standard length, Cobra Connect Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip in standard size.

FedEx walked up this morning with a long box which I wasn't expecting, then I saw the Cobra branding, nice surprise!

20200629-083824.jpgWeighed both heads and each came in at 200 grams.

20200629-085952.jpg

20200629-090005.jpgThe Rogue with grip weighed in at 120 grams, while the Ventus with grip weighed in at 124 grams. So either head with the Rogue will weigh 320 grams, while with the Ventus they will weigh 324 grams. My i20 weighs 316 grams, but is about ½” shorter than the Cobras.

Initial impressions:

Cobra SPEEDZONE (SZ)

20200629-124235.jpg

20200629-124239.jpg

20200629-124425.jpgLooks great at address with the matte black crown and more traditional profile. Not too different at address vs. my i20 which is important as I’ve been using that driver for a long time so the similar looks should help. The infinity face looks good at address, it gives you something to square up to the target with, much better in person than I anticipated based on internet pics I had seen.

Cobra SPEEDZONE XTREME (SZX)

20200629-124155.jpg

20200629-124203.jpg

20200629-124413.jpgThis driver also looks great with the matte black. It’s definitely more drawn out towards the back which makes it look noticeably larger at address. Screams ‘more forgiving’ but it may take me a bit to get used to at address as it’s a departure from what I’ve been used to for a long time.

Other impressions regarding look:

Both drivers look spectacular all around. The CNC milled face looks amazing, the matte black and carbon are sleek, and the MyFly hosel just blends right into the club. The hosel was something I was concerned about coming from a regular ol’ glued in hosel, but you don’t even see it with the MyFly. Compared to the i20, both clubs appear to present considerably less loft at the STD 10.5* setting. This makes them both look a lot harder to hit, but time will tell. This is likely due to the i20 actually not being a 10.5* head as stamped, as well as the i20 being a much deeper head.

Side-by-side

20200629-124307.jpgShafts

20200629-124344.jpg

20200629-124357.jpgI might be heading out shortly to throw them right into play on the course. Will post more thoughts as I get to hit them.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Thanks Cobra and Wrx! Cobra gained a customer, and I will always look toward them to purchase clubs. I’m a college student on a limited budget, so I don’t get to test a ton of equipment. Looking very forward to testing these out and putting one in play. I am 27 years old, and have been golfing for about 5 years.Not sure of swing speed, but can sneak driver out to 265-270 sometimes a hair longer. Scores are mid-high 80s to low 90s. Driving is a strength with iron play eating my scores up.Already leaning more towards thinking the Extreme will be perfect for me, but very open minded and would not hesitate to put either driver in the bag depending on the results.

Driver Specs:

• Cobra SpeedZone 10.5, Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 6s. 44.25 inches and a Standard Tour Velvet Grip.

•Cobra SpeedZone Extreme 10.5, Graphite Design Iz-6 Stiff. 44.25 inches and a Standard Tour Velvet Grip.

So far I have only swung the clubs in the yard, but they already feel and look great. Great weight to them. Both heads are shaped great, with the Extreme looking a bit more foreign to me, but still Extremely (pun intended) playable. The Atmos shaft is definitely more soft in the tip, with the Graphite Design feeling more stout all the way through. Will mix and match the two shafts to see what works the best in each head.

Will be taking these to the range Wednesday evening, and playing a round Friday with both drivers in the bag. Will report back then.

8bc31947-cfa5-4ceb-9d29-9f374161bb60.jpeg

• Like 1

First and foremost, thank you to GolfWRX and Cobra for this opportunity.

Intro:

37 yr old, RH

5’10” and 155lbs

I’m your typical average golfer. Never played golf until after college. I’ve been 15yrs into the game. Had the opportunity to start working in OK out of school, right around Tulsa. Got fit, took lessons, and then proceeded to play 60-80 rounds in the one year I was out there....and got hooked to say the least. Moved to the Northeast and really downhill from there. I guess this is a long winded way of saying I’m a bogey golfer.

I hope the perspective I can offer is a reasonably fit and flexible individual, with moderate swing speed, and room to improve in their driver play. I struggle off the tee (understatement, definitely user but more to come on intent), and it costs me dearly. I play at least one full round per week (at least recently) and sprinkle in league matches here and there. Kids, marriage, and the responsibilities and expectations have cut into golf time. I’m also not one to beat range balls (but may need to in order to get adequate swings with each driver).

Intent:

I’m and engineer by occupation and naturally curious. I like data. I don’t have immediate access to a high level launch monitor unfortunately. I capture stats with Game Golf and have limited launch condition capture with my Garmin Approach G80. I certainly can’t get accurate data per say, but it will be relative and I would expect precise. As such I have compiled A normal distribution of my driving stats for this year:

3a1d1c13-8e82-4eef-8be2-d1a30846718c.pngMy average drive is 240yds. I struggle with the two way miss, and my longest drives tend to be straight and flat or blocks right. Circling back, one of the questions was what do you look for in a driver and my response was ease of use. I like simple.

I have ideas for how to approach this, but I will try to capture and collect as much data to compare. My dog is committed to this review as well

2a416b4a-5d49-4a05-a09f-5451f1c846fa.jpegHe was extra excited that the deliver guy dropped them off this morning...during his nap.

Current setup:

Ping G410+ Aldila Rogue White

Ping G400 Max PX T1100

I have swapped into a Ping G410+ this year from the G400 Max. To be honest, I think I made a mistake, but that is a moot point since the Cobras will take over bag rotation moving forward.

New setup:

Cobra Speedzone PX HZRDUS Smoke Yellow

Cobra Speedzone Extreme GD Tour AD IZ

c0fb15f3-7145-418d-8e37-cf8c0a312685.jpeg

I went with the exotic shaft in the Extreme because I recently(1-2 yrs) made the decision I will no longer chase distance and would prefer a stable and reliable club.

I went with pretty benign specs, standard length, Midsize grip.

What Next:

I have a match tomorrow and the Extreme will be up first. Tough driving holes on the course. Number 1 par 5, OB left and driving range right. Number 2 Par 4, drive uphill to a fairway that angles away and runs out to rough. Hole 6 Par 4, ponds left and corn field right. Hole 8 Par 5, all uphill.

more pictures..well, better pictures. And data.

• Like 2

First allow me to say thanks to Cobra/Puma Golf and GolfWRX for this truly rare opportunity!!! It is needless to say but I’m completely stoked to have been chosen to be part of this testing. Thank you, thank you, thank you!Part ICurrent driver- I started out playing a Cobra F9 with the Atmos Blue 6-R this year and while the distance was good, I just could not develop any level of confidence in it regarding which way it was going to go. Most of that is of course down to my swing and not having played in over a year but I just felt like more forgiveness was needed. Recently I changed out to a Ping G410 plus with a CB55 Red shaft and the difference has been night and day so the G410 plus is what I will be using as the primary basis for comparison purposes. Having worked with the F9 though I will be adding some thoughts on how I feel the SPEEDZONEs compare to the F9 too.

Background – I’m 63 years old as of this month and have been playing golf on and off for over 40 years. There were however some very long stretches in there where I did not have the opportunity to play more than a couple times a year so I really feel like I have not been able to build the game that I would have liked to had I been more devoted to playing.  I do not have a current established Handicap but my last league Handicap in 2017 was +15.  I am a bit rusty right now as I had to take last year off due to a ruptured Achilles but thankfully, I am fully back in play this year. My optimum 7 iron swing speed is right around 79-80 mph but if I get aggressive that will wander up to around 83 mph. Currently I am averaging around 195-215 carry off the tee. Given that I do not carry the ball that far, I appreciate any amount of roll out I can get. I do not practice as much as I used to but I try to get out at least once every couple of weeks. My warms up prior to play are usually comprise of some stretching and working on my swing tempo and feel with a 6 iron. I play weekly May through October and when the weather permits in November. No real stand out strengths as of right now but my weakness generally is playing longer fairway shots where a low hybrid or fairway wood would be in play. It is an area of focus for my practice sessions as well is working on building back some consistency with my iron striking.

What to request? This was such a great problem to have and figure out! Color - I am a huge fan of the matte black finish on the SPEEDZONE drivers so that part was a no brainer for me. Loft- I opted to have both heads to be the 9* option which has been my go to driver loft for years now. I tend to hit up on the ball a bit and prefer a lower lofted head with a higher launching/mid to low spin shaft as compared to a higher degree head with a low spin low launch combination. Shafts - For my shaft selection the Cobra website was really great help providing both a customization option to see all the available shafts as well as a chart which compared the shafts by their launch and spin characteristics. After considering the options my original choices were the Helium Black 5 and the Ventus Red 6 both in regular flex. As much as Cobra wanted to get the Ventus Red for me, they were not currently in stock and they had no ETA on when they would be getting them so at Cobra’s suggestion we swapped out that choice for a Tour AD IZ-6 SR. There was also an issue with getting the Extreme head in 9* for the custom order, so rather than have me wait Cobra sent out a stock Extreme with a Tensei AV Blue 65 shaft. They followed that with sending the SZ with both the Helium and Tour AD IZ shafts in a single box. Now that’s going above and beyond and is unexpected and exceptional customer service to say the least! During the course of testing I will naturally be swapping out the shafts across the heads and may even play with the weights a bit depending on my initial results. Grips – Both shafts have black Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips.

sdc10036.jpg

sdc10039.jpg

About the looks- Can you say freaking awesome!? Both heads in the Matte Black and White combination look spectacular. I wasn’t sure if I was going to be a fan of the he infinity face looks or not but it looks even better in hand then it does on the web and blends smoothly into the black crown. I prefer a more reserved look on a driver and these just fit the bill nicely for me. The boxed logo looks great at set up as do the subtle lines and writing at the outer and inner edges of the driver crown. On close examination you can ever so slightly see the carbon fiber weaving. Again to me this is understated elegance at its finest. Even the sole keeps up the theme of being somewhat understated and is quite pleasing to my eye. All in all, I have to give the SPEEDZONES heads a solid 9 for appearance! Combining the shafts with the heads I chose the looks get even better. While there was no conscious effort regarding aesthetics, I have to say that both of these shafts I chose serendipitously simply look great with the matte black heads. They just seem to invite you to put them in hand and give’m a rip.

sdc10010-jpg.jpg

sdc10011-jpg.jpg

sdc10027.jpg

A tale of two profiles – Both the Cobra SPEEDZONE (SZ) and the SPEEDZONE XTREME (SZX) came in at 197 grams according to my scale despite having strikingly different profiles. The SZ is by far the more classic shaped appearing deep and more rounded while the SZX has a much longer more stretched out look to it. While both heads sweep down towards the back of the head, the SZX just seems to hug the ground whereas the SZ appears to stand more upright. It’s a mere matter of preference of course but my I prefer heads that tend towards the SZX profile so I give a slight edge in looks to it.

sdc10023-jpg.jpg

sdc10020-jpg.jpg

That about Covers it - Ok, so that was a bad attempt to segue into adding a word about the cover. A cover is a cover I guess so generally there is not much to say about them. In this case though I felt like they are due a mention. The covers are combination of black and carbon graphite patterned leather or leather like material. They ares titched from stem to stern with in a reddish-orange stitching which stands out nicely. What really stand out on them though is the amount and quality of the embroidering. All in all the covers are first rate and I may just shuck my custom cover in favor of the Cobra stock one... and that says a lot about how I think they look.

sdc10001-jpg.jpg

sdc10009-jpg.jpg

Part II Range and Course –

I have to preface my experience with the SZ’s yesterday on the Course and Range by explaining where my game was at yesterday. I had gone to the range last Saturday and was hitting 80% or better off the center of the face of my current gamer. That of course was more about me than the club. With high hopes I hit the range yesterday SPEEDZONES in hand. Heat and humidity are not my friend and they were adding a degree of discomfort yesterday as we are having some unseasonably high temperatures this week.  Whether it was the weather or not (probably not) I was a bit off yesterday and I could immediately tell that my swing suffering this day. It did not matter if I was hitting one of the SZ’s or my gamer I was having a hard time finding the center of the face. My misses were either toe side or too low on the face. The upside was that it did let me notice a few things I might have otherwise overlooked if I had been more consistent on hitting near the center.

Shafts – During the initial phase of my testing with both heads I swapped the shafts back and forth and played with the lofts a bit to get a quick take on which combination(s) seemed to work/feel best. Feel wise I did not find much difference between the Helium Black and the Tour AD-IZ shafts and the flights were actually very similar. Both shafts felt firm but not boardy at all and I could sense where the head was most of the time. That said the feel of either of these shafts was not outstanding for me. I would put it down to shafts and maybe particularly the tips in each being a bit stiffer than I would have liked them to be. That of course is a preference thing, but I just prefer a bit softer and more active tip and feel. I will add a small lament here that the Ventus Red was not available as I think it would have suited my taste a bit better all-around and I would have really like to have been able to try that shaft in the SPEEDZONE heads. Despite the feel, performance wise both shafts were on par with my gamer. There was no noticeable greater element of side to side forgiveness from one shaft to the other. What did stand out was that on well hit strikes was that the Tour AD-IZ was producing an extra 10 yards of carry. The trajectories (peak height, etc.) of each seemed to be very similar to my eye. It could have been that the IZ shaft was producing a bit of extra spin which was helping to keep the ball air born a bit longer or that the Helium shaft was spinning a bit too much causing a slight ballooning near the end of the flight. Though I did not perceive any ballooning with the Helium shaft, if I had to guess, the later of the two possibilities was probably what was going on. Regardless of which head I had the two shafts in, the roll out was noticeably less with it by about 5+ yards or so. In then end on this day the combination what worked out best for me was the Tour AD IZ-6 SR with the regular SPEEDZONE 9* head set at std.

Face and Setup – Both drivers looked great address but my preference surprisingly leaned towards the SZ. Generally, as I mentioned in my previous post, I prefer drivers that sweep down towards the back but to my eye the more rounded profile of the SZ was just the better of the two despite lacking this characteristic. Honestly though, both were fine with neither being off-putting in any way. The alignment logo is definitely an improvement over the F9 for setting up and the less busy looking crown of the SZ’s was a very welcome improvement. I really do like the infinity face of these drivers. I felt like they helped square the club up and also inspired more confidence as the overall width and depth of the face of the SPEEDZONE’s just appears to be considerably larger than that of the F9. While this is largely just perception, when it comes to building confidence for me, perception is reality!

Sound – The sound off the face was pretty consistent and did not change that much from heel to toe but the one thing that I noted was that for those strikes getting a bit too low on the face, the sound became very muted. I would actually describe it as being a dull thud like sound. Overall, the sound of both heads was pleasing and from my memory they were very similar to the F9 being neither too loud nor too muted on strike near the center of the face.

Performance and Forgiveness – I found the Xtreme to be a tad more forgiving than the SZ regarding side to side dispersion but honestly there was really not much difference in them. In the end the small difference here would not have influenced any purchase decision on my part between the two. Interestingly enough, I actually found the SZ front to back dispersion to be significantly better. Contrary to what I would have assumed, there was noticeably more distance loss on off center hits with the Xtreme than with the SZ. Again, my ball striking was not really spectacular this day so while I managed to find the center, I also managed to hit a number of shots very toe sided. Thankfully, what I lacked in skill both heads made up for in forgiveness! Toe hits stayed straight, and the trajectory stayed true. There was very minimal distance loss on anything near the center with either the SZ or Xtreme. In truth a couple of the best drives I produced with the SZ were hit out towards the toe missing the center by a fair margin. Slightly high or low strikes were treated equally favorable. All in all, I would say both of these drivers have close to the same level of forgiveness I get from my current gamer (G410+). Distance wise the Xtreme was just shy of the G410+ but the SZ was noticeably longer having the 10-yard carry advantage I mentioned earlier.

On to the course – Having had the best results with the regular SPEEDZONE driver I decided to put it in play. What I had experienced on the range carried straight over to the course unfortunately. I pulled a few, I pushed a few and I hit a few dead center. For those shots I pulled or pushed there was no exaggerated draw or fade both being held to a minimum regardless of how and where on the face I hit the ball. The element of forgiveness I was getting from the SZ was a good thing as it helped me escape what could have been some troublesome results when I flirted a bit too much with the left or right side of certain fairways which were either bordered by either trees or were OB. Distance wise I am generally not the longest off the tee in the groups I play with but on this night I managed several drives which were the longest in my group carrying around 220+ and rolling out to about 235. Those numbers are good for me and again about 10-yards longer than what I have been otherwise been hitting this year. Despite the fact that my game was not nearly as crisp as it could have been, I was very favorably impressed with the regular SPEEDZONE and how it helped me temper the results of some poorly struck drives.

Conclusions – I honestly need to and will do more testing before reaching any final conclusions as I really do not have enough experience with either of the SPEEDZONE drivers to offer more than the initial experience I had yesterday..... so with that said….

More to come later!

• Like 1

On the course now. SZ Xtreme with Rogue is better for me so far vs SZ with Ventus, it's early though. Hitting it to about the same places as my i20, hoping that with some optimizing I can squeeze out some yds.

Today's Review-

Spent about 40 min pre-round on the range with the SZ and SZX. Both felt incredibly solid and hard to tell them apart. [EDIT- worth noting here that the SZ had the heavy weight in the back, I have yet to try the lower spin option with the weight up front.] There's a tad bit feeling of more stability through impact with the SZX, but that's about it. Both heads with both shafts seemed to perform similarly on the range, with the SZX with Rogue feeling just a touch more lively and easier to launch. Both went high and then flattened out.

Course was busy so I couldn't hit multiple drives, so I took out the SZX with Rogue in STD 10.5 setting. It was an ok round with the driver, but to be honest by the back 9 I was missing the i20. It just seems much more automatic for me, and I seemed to be hitting the SZ to the same spots on the course. I need to spend a lot more time with the SZ drivers to get comfortable. I also wish I had access to a launch monitor so I could optimize one of the SZ set ups to take that lingering doubt out of my mind. That's the one thing about the i20, there's no wondering as it only has the 1 setting.

I'll add that I did notice that you can see the underlying T frame coming through the matte finish on the SZX. Not sure if this is intentional on Cobra's part, but it looks pretty cool.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I will admit that I have been a short time Cobra lurker, and seriously considered the King LTD years back. I have most of my driver experience in TaylorMade drivers, specifically the Burner Superfast and R11. I also have gone off the beaten path and played a Tour Edge E8 Beta for a little while. In addition I played a season with a mini driver and a Rocketballz S2 TS. The Ping choices coincides with my decision to no longer chase distance. The F9, and now Speedzone, conversation had gotten me really interested, so it is ideal that I have this opportunity now.

Since others have provided, here are some driver head weights:

Speedzone: 199g 14/2g weight

422678f7-66e7-4bb9-823e-90ac4e76865e.jpeg

7b8a546a-24db-4dd7-ab4d-d3c2dad4ee8b.jpegSpeedzone Xtreme: 199g 6g weight

9d4565e0-46b2-437e-9363-f12d010e6a14.jpeg

0a04bc1b-0888-45d3-a8a0-e4f0f43ad050.jpegIt appears I am the odd man out, only one of the bunch to go non-matte. TBH I very much prefer the color scheme, but I also secretly hope I don’t regret it because of sun glare.

waggle test:

The Xtreme feels really nice and balanced, there is a great flow to the swing.

The Speedzone feels a tad heavy, head heavy. I’ll swap out the shafts to see if the IZ makes it feel any different.[uPDATE: swapped shafts out, it definitely still does feel head heavy]

• Like 1

Awesome wins guys!! Cant wait to here final reviews!!

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

I did leave out a critical observation from my on course testing yesterday. The face finish is awesome because it shows a very clear dimple pattern where you made contact with the ball, and the key observation is that I was routinely hitting the SZX very low on the face. However, as I mentioned I was hitting the SZX to similar locations as my current driver, but I definitely hit my current driver more in the center (it also has a face that clearly shows impact dimples). So, what should have been immediately obvious is that if I can find a way to start middling the Cobras then I could see a fairly significant distance gain.

In case any club fitters are reading this- for a 95 mph swing speed and a moderate to deliberate tempo, any predictions as to which shaft (Rogue 110 60R or Ventus Blue 6R), head, and hosel setting would be the best to start with? I'll continue to try a lot of settings, but just wondering in case I overlook a setting, or start way too far from a potential ideal setting.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Well, it didn’t go as planned.

played the back 9, not the front.

No range balls now on Tuesdays?

so I decided to hit a brand new driver with no warm up and just went for it?

I put the SZ Extreme in play tonight. It had the GD Tour AD IZ shaft.

initial thoughts:

it swings effortlessly and my perception is I swing it fast(to be confirmed during range testing). I’ll be honest, I’m a creature of habit and the sudden curve balls made my already fragile tee game ice thin. Unfortunately, there was no magic aha moment for me, just the cold hard reality of my golf game.

Some other notes, the head appears small, maybe it is the gloss vs matte that makes me perceive it as such, but the profile appeared more compact. The sound is a muted thud to my ear, even with the topped shots.

Performance(actual data forthcoming):

Holes 10/11 are 5w/5i holes respectively, I had PW into both. 12 is a wide open downhill par 5 begging for you to tee it high and......proceed to top it low?. 13 par 3 uphill.14 is a uphill par 4 to a blind fairway, the line is over two bunkers. I smother hooked this drive off the toe but into the fairway.....of hole 12, had 7i in. 15 is my nemesis hole, severe( think 60-70ft elevation) uphill par 4, same theme toe side top. 16 is another juicy par 5, after that 70ft climb, its time to bomb away on a downhill par 5. The line is over two very mature trees to the blind part of the fairway, I managed to make solid contact and ended up within a yard of my buddy (he who obliterates balls). I’ll load up the Game Golf data tomorrow.

I’ll be honest, this is the story of my game at the moment(can’t get off the tee) admittedly I have been trying too many things and haven’t settled into any rhythm. I’ve already played more golf in the first 8 weeks this season that I played almost all of last year(thank you two wild little girls?). I’m committed to these drivers and plan to give them ample practice and play, thinking something like 2 week blocks. With the holiday weekend coming along, I plan to hit up the range to get much better acquainted and play once too. Sorry, tonight was a dud, but I should have two sample points to compare against the G410 on hole for hole performance.

• Like 1

Will be interested on how it feels and sounds. When I hit the SZ earlier this year my local shop only had the Ventus in a stiff and it wasn’t the Velecore. Head felt really heavy for some reason and the sound was off. Any shot around the face all sounded the same and couldn’t tell on a bad shot as they all sounded and felt the same. Again could have been the shaft being whippy and why the head felt so heavy.

can you tell when you don’t hit the center? How are the distances, launch and control on both center and off center hits. Does it give more forgiveness compared to other 2020 clubs you may have hit or currently own.

thanks guys and congratulations. I hope you all have lots of fun and look forward to the reviews.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

Great write-ups so far - thanks guys. I was interested in knowing a little more about playing length. I know Cobra offers a tour length which is shorter than standard. Do they do anything different with the weights to have the shorter length shaft play to a similar swingweight as the regular length? Curious if any of you had this conversation with Cobra when deciding your playing length.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

I did not have this conversation as I just ordered 'standard length'. It is worth noting that it isn't overly long like I've noticed when I have picked up other drivers in the store. My current driver (i20) was partially marketed as being slightly shorter in length for added control, and the Cobras next to the i20 are just barely longer, like 1/4". I really like this as the drivers that appear longer to me also appear like they would be erratic.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I can already give an enthusiastic 2 thumbs up with regards to sound. The sound is nearly perfect imo, it's a solid but muted thwack. Not one of those obnoxiously loud drivers that draws attention on the range. Just solid. To the second point, so far I would somewhat agree that the sound is similar across the face. However, as I mentioned in a different post above, the face is really good about showing dimple marks from impact so you can get immediate feedback that way if the sound and/or feel isn't letting you know how your strike was.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

The driver is on the quiet side no matter where I hit it on the face:

42627c23-69e2-4a88-8c64-40bcc2c0ac8b.jpeg(sorry for the weird angle, trying to show the ball marks on face with the right light)

NOTE: sZ Xtreme and I was playing a Bridgestone E6 last night, not sure if that is a soft/medium/hard ball. Right or wrong, I played these because I have paid a hefty ball tax at the course I played.i typically play a “better” ball.

I hit mostly toe side with driver(normally as well) and even on the low toe hits the head is stable and doesn’t sound too different(maybe less solid sounding?)

• Like 1

I ordered both mine at .25" short, both drivers came with the stock weight(s). No surprise there as the swing weight should only be off standard by 1 with only a .25" reduction in shaft length. I don't have a scale unfortunately so I cannot measure the actual swing weight but just giving the drivers the whip test, my initial impression is that I can adequately feel the head and sense where it is during throughout the swing. I am hoping to get out today and add some results of the initial range testing by sometime tomorrow.

• Like 1

Long drive was 261 last night, as evidenced by the pic I posted earlier that was a slightly high toe strike.

bb7050c2-5ddb-46f7-93d4-e209715d6639.png

I usually have 3/4i into this green(yellow), had 5i last night(black) My typical line is conservative, to the right of the right most trees on the left side of the fairway. Last night I took my drive left center over those trees and ended up at the bump out about half way down the fairway. [ill edit flight path on PC or try to screen grab Game Golf overlay]. It takes confidence or dumb luck because all the waste to the left is THICK.

• Like 2

Finally took the boys out to the range. The results absolutely lived up to the hype. Now I just have to decide which I like better. It’s a dang hard call.

1st up- SpeedZone with Atmos TS Blue 6s. Loved the look of this driver behind the ball. Classic shape, and the size is right on. First swing hit one high and straight. As others have posted the ball rises fast then flattens out at the top, and takes off. Hit a couple of nasty hooks, which would have happened with any driver. User error for sure, but maybe forgiveness wasn’t all there for me.Like the Atmos shaft. It’s definitely a little bit more tip soft than the Graphite Design. Easy to load, and and I felt like I could always tell where the club head was, which sometimes is hard to do with a shortened shaft. Cobra nailed the weighting.

Next up- SpeedZone Extreme with GD IZ-6. This is the club I was looking so forward to hitting, and it’s the one that will be in the bag when I play tomorrow. I mentioned that the SpeedZone hit the ball high. The extreme hits even higher knuckleballs. I hit both drivers to about the same distance but trajectory was different for sure. Never hit a nasty hook with the Extreme. I had a blast just absolutely swinging out of my shoes and hitting good shots. It feels like it’s going to cover you when you put a bad swing on it. The Graphite Design shaft is a beast. Worth the 200 up charge. Pairs perfectly with the high launching Extreme. It’s more stout feeling, but feels good. Can swing hard and it keeps up just fine. It could be what helped keep the hooks at bay.

It got toasty on the range and I had some creepy old fella (who couldn’t hit a driver 60 yards )coming up and trying to give me and everyone around me pointers so I didn’t get to switch the shafts out. Want to try to GD in the Speedzone head. Playing tomorrow with my two brothers who always out drive me. I’m the runt of us 3 but I feel like I can give them a run tomorrow. Extreme with GD will be in the bag just so I don’t drive myself nuts switching back and forth. Will play a different set up each of the next four rounds I play. More to come tomorrow.

ac26a90c-c280-4b35-b6b2-0247aa5a4e84.jpegNot sure why but face pics are popular on here so here ya go!

631b93a6-547e-4291-a98c-10b4bffe89e0.jpeg

• Like 1

Post round update with Extreme with the Graphite Design shaft. Driver remained long and straight. My last driver must have been improper for me because I gained a fair bit of distance today. There’s a long.par four on the course that has a slight dogleg. Right as the dogleg starts there are 2 huge mounds on the right side of the fairway. I usually hit driver to right beside those mounds, sometimes a bit shorter. Today I hit the Extreme over both mounds in the air and was 10 or so yards on the other side of them. My brother even mentioned that the driver must have no spin because the ball just kept floating into the distance. The only negative is distance loss when I caught it low and toey, but that’s to be expected. Next round will be the Extreme with the Atmos shaft.

• Like 2

Range session today with my most recent gamer and the two Cobras.

68cf3b30-2ab9-44fa-b726-a72cef95e7e3.jpegthis range has decent balls, they swapped all of them out maybe 4 yrs ago when they converted from individual mats to one long strip of field turf.

8ccc5f87-7d62-444e-9ed1-71552d515691.jpegAnd this was my gauge in terms of ball flight:

8537c18d-ead6-4ea0-abe7-7a9bb94d827e.jpegStarting Center left and moving to the right, the last tall pole is 224, 235, 236, 251, and 260yds. A good gauge for me that I have hit a good drive is to hit the net on the fly straightaway, think anywhere between 1st, 2nd, or third short pole.

I used my Garmin to capture data.

4fa7a6f6-01dd-402b-a748-84080c1e72eb.jpegI can’t speak to the accuracy, but I do confidently believe in the precision of the unit. It was hot out today [to me and the area, 93F(34C)] and the unit overheated several times so I only got about 10-12 shots of ball data for each driver. I was trying to rotate 7 shots with each driver, 3-4 times. So I lost roughly half the data waiting for the unit to cool down[important to note, I should have waited and rested as well] because I kept hitting.

Both Cobras were set at 9* Standard, my Ping was set at 9* Flat. The Cobras both sit a little toe high to my eye, I guess they are more upright lie angle. The Speedzone also appears to sit open at address, but upon review of the picture I took it doesn’t look as open.

100d49e5-1f16-4471-a5cf-a49f647d25a8.jpegIn the sunlight the face does give the appearance of more openness. Overall, the gloss finish on both drivers was not an issue in the sun.

Looks:

These pass the eye test for me. They look confidence inspiring and classic. The gloss finish does not give off a bad glare under intense sunlight. The infinity face is interesting, in sunlight it gives a sort of copper hue[to my eye] which I feel makes the drivers look unique. The picture tells a different story but I still stand by my perception that the Speedzone appears to sit quite open, the Extreme does not give that imagery.

Sound:

I want to say this has a solid sounding impact, not tinny not hollow, just solid. Good drives have that dead sounding “thwack”. As compared to my Ping, which has a harder impact sound. I found plenty of the face, and I don’t think there was a huge difference.

Feel:

continuing on from my previous comment, I found plenty of the face. That being said, there isn’t much punishment for off center or high/low impacts from a feel standpoint.

overall insights(for this session):

The Extreme seems to be a rinse, wash, repeat type driver. With any half way decent swing, I want to say most people are going to get consistent results. I was mostly middle to toe heavy with strikes both high and low on the face and felt like I was basically seeing the same flight and results. Flight was mid-low to Mid and “floating”. Most drives flew near the top of the tallest poles, and the best struck drives hit mid and low third of shorter poles.

The Speedzone is a little different story, oh I should mention I left the big weight forward, because there was more variety in those results. The great swing were the best drives of the day and the not so great swings I feel like fell out of the sky. Ball flight was mostly Mid, with a noticeable pronounced apex before descent. Best drives were firmly mid third, worst drives were on the ground running by 200 marker or shortly thereafter.

i want to add loft, definitely to the Speedzone, maybe to the Extreme, because I felt like decent and great swings looked very similar to only adequate swings. All in all, I made about 70-80 driver swings. [Maybe not the best idea].

performance[average of data collected]:

Cobra Speedzone PX HZ Yellow Smoke:

club speed- 100 mph

ball speed- 145 mph

distance- 235 yds [best 253]

Cobra Speedzone Extreme GD AD IZ:

club speed- 102mph

ball speed: 144 mph

distance- 231 yds[best 252]

Ping G410+ Aldila Rogue White:

club speed- 99 mph

ball speed- 144mph

distance- 232 yds[best 242]

Overall, I am happy with the data set. I got what I wanted, which was to get a little more accustomed to each driver. I captured 33 data points. The range of club speed was 98-105mph, the range of ball speed was 140-153mph, and the range of distances was 220-253yds. I made roughly 70 driver swings and felt I pieced together a consistent set of data, more important the data yielded from the Garmin seems precise. I think I have a little more club speed in me, I fasted today and honestly was not ready for 93F.[excuses, I’ve got a little more of those too?]

what next?:

I play Sunday, I’ll go with the Extreme again and adjust with +1* hosel setting.

• Like 2

Parts I and II are here - https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19540954/#Comment_19540954Part III – Back to the RangeToday was mostly about going back to the range and trying a few things I did not get to try on my first outing. 

Gamer - Ping G410 with an Alta CB Red R flex 59g, swing wt. D3-4

Cobra Shafts I tried today –

Tour AD IZ 6-SR (IZ) 62g, Helium Black 5 R (Helium) 59g, Tensei AV 65 R (Tensei) 65g

Warming up – After a few swings with each driver I could easily see that with the G410 I just seemed to be striking the ball near the center more often. Thinking about why this might be true the one thing I noticed right away as I flipped from driver to driver is that the swing wt. on the Ping was noticeably higher than either the SZ or Extreme regardless of which shaft I put in them. So I decided to take try two weight combinations to add a bit of extra swing wt. to the SPEEDZONE’s. One way I did so was by taking the 2g wt. out of the SZ and replacing it with the Extreme’s 6g weight. My guess was this would effectively add about 4g’s and +1 swing weight to the SZ. The other combination I tried was to take replace the 6g wt. in the Extreme with the 14g wt. from the SZ. Again figuring that about +4g = +1 swing wt. my guess was that the I would be adding about +2 swing wt. to the Extreme.

Below are some combinations I tried and my results.The SZ –

14g forward, 2g back, IZ shaft – Same as the first day largely though despite the fact that I was more consistent with my ball striking today. I was starting to realize that I was having a hard time finding the center of the face. It felt like I was losing the feel for where the head was on the down swing.  I was hitting a few decent drives at around 215 yds., but the dispersion was not that great. This combination felt very light to me and my guess is that the swing wt. of the SZ with this combination was at about D0-1.  Regardless of what it actually was it was very noticeably less than that of the Ping. Swapping the positions of the two stock weights did not change things much.

14g forward, 2g back, Helium shaft – This was an interesting combination which seemed to favor slower swing speed on my part. The Helium shaft is definitely softer and perhaps just a tad springier feeling than the IZ. I lost a few yards with this combo but nothing more than 5 or so I would say. When I tried to go after it a bit more I was hitting some balls that ballooned a bit. The carry was decent at about 215 again but they were high soft landing drives and there was little to no run out. Once again, I would guess the swing weight to be around D0-1. I am fairly certain that when I swung a bit harder my issue was that I was delivering the head with a more positive AOA which in turn was causing the high flyers.

14g forward, 2g back, Tensei shaft – A very surprising combination which flew more like the IZ but felt more like the Helium. This is a setup which I think could very well suit a large number of moderate to slow swings.

14g forward, 6g back, IZ shaft – Swing wt. felt better to me and I was getting closer to the center more often. My best drives now were being rewarded with an extra 5-10 yards. No ballooning and decent run out. The feel was firm and very competent and I had the sense that whatever I put into it was exactly what I was going to get out. That last part may be just perception but it was a good perception and I felt it was worth mentioning!

14g forward, 6g back, Tensei shaft – Again a very pleasant surprise for a no upcharge option. Very similar to the IZ in results but just a tad softer and springier feeling.The Extreme –

6g standard wt. – I am skipping over these as the really mimicked my first day results with the Extreme head. The bottom line being nothing I tried shaft wise was quite as good as it was with the standard SZ combinations.

2g wt. – This combination worked best with the Helium shaft by far. When I put a slow deliberate senior swing on it, it was a fairway finder with adequate distance at about 200 yards. That said, if I tried to go after it at all, I completely lost all feel for the head and control and the result was anything to a pull to a push fade and I tended to fly the ball higher than is to my liking. This is a complete guess of course but this might be a great choice for any seniors though who are tending down towards around an 81 or under swing speed with the driver. A word of caution though… if I let the swing speed drop too low I saw a few shots that knuckleballed towards the end and just dropped out of the sky!

14g wt. – Well hello Extreme! With the extra 8g’s of weight = approximately 2 swing wt. the Extreme jumped to life for me. It was now feeling more like the Ping which has a D3-4 swing weight and I think the heavier feel just fits my swing better. It was better in every way with every shaft and was now performing on par distance wise with the SZ while adding an extra element of forgiveness that seemed to be missing before. I could tell from the strike marks that I was finding the spots around the center with near regularity. For those shots that I did hit toe side the Extreme just seemed to say “No worries my friend! We are still going straight and we’re going to end up in the fairway with minimal distance loss.” Honestly the difference with the increase swing weight was night and day for me. I changed back to the stock 6g weight just to verify the difference and I noticed a huge drop in the way I was performing with the driver. Switch back to 14g and things were back to good again! With the 14g weight in the head and the increased swing weight I finally understood what others were seeing in this head.

In the end I could be very happy with either the SZ or the Extreme with the increased swing weights in my bag with either the IZ or the Tensei shafts. The IZ feeling a bit more solid and firmer and the Tensei a bit springier but smoother. What my testing today really indicated to me is the either of the SPEEDZONE drivers can be very solid choices for a variety of swings if configured correctly. Emphasis added here on having the correct configuration as my performance and the corresponding results with certain combinations was just less than stellar. So my strong recommendation is that if you are interested in either of these and really want to get the full benefit of them… get fit for the right shaft and swing weight. Duh, right? Because you already knew that!

• Like 1

14g went in and it is a different driver for me. My OTT move isn’t quite as extreme[lol, no pun intended] and I think I managed to get neutral or slightly in to out on a few drives. I must admit however that I forgot to loft up, ?. Was running late, remembered to swap the weight, forgot the loft BUT I think it worked out. Drives launched a bit higher (anecdotal evidence: my playing partner commented after our round that all my “best drives were so high, but they went far”) maybe the extra weight helped with that?

It was a typical day for me driving the ball, some good and some bad. I took driver off ten holes(in reality I normally only take driver off eight of them, but science). I had 1 cold top, 4 drives +\-220yds, and 5 drives +\- 250yds. Not much to report on the topped shot, blame the user. The “poor” drives were either a slapping slice or a smother hook, I’m still “searching” for a comfortable swing so it happens. On the “good” drives the Extreme flat out performs. I had drives of 240, 250, 259, 265, and 272.

c5fa7283-d1db-407f-913f-47e7a9f09b4b.jpeg

a3f90981-f516-422d-bb10-c0c93f898630.jpeg[Game Golf and Garmin were within 3yds, good enough for me]

The GD AD IZ worked really well for me today when I didn’t get too long with my swing, it felt effortless. After having done a little research, it appears the IZ has a slightly higher balance point so adding the weight probably did me well in terms of feel.

New Observations:

The Extreme was louder today, maybe I was hitting a different part of the face? Maybe the confines of narrow tee box with mature trees carries the sound differently? Definitely louder, not unpleasant but also not the muted sound I described initially.

the extreme is plenty forgiving, believe me, I can stripe a drive occasionally, but most of my best results are likely still from sub optimal characteristics. I will note specifically on a slapping slice, my issue is typically that drive will appear to come backward as it peels away. With the extreme, there is curvature, but it is less slice, and more of a block that tails off. On my “well struck” drives there isn’t much movement, maybe 5yds of push draw.

What Next:

Busy week, no match, and some personal/family matters to figure out. I go on vacation Friday and am sorting out my golf or lack thereof(I hope not?).

• Like 1

Got out today for the 2nd time with the Speedzone drivers. Spent a good amount of time at the range prior to today's round. Still can't quite find the middle of either driver repeatedly. I did move the heavy weight to the front of the SZ and started hitting on what seemed like a more powerful trajectory. I think the SZ is my preferred head of the 2 primarily for the looks. Both seem equally forgiving, but the SZ is looking better to my eye and the forward weight seems to give a little extra distance without sacrificing control.

I was hitting the i20 really well on the range so I took it out to the course for today's round and proceeded to have 1 of my best driving rounds in a long time. I think switching from the slightly longer length Cobras to the PING with the smaller/sleeker footprint gave me even more confidence with my ol' reliable. I think the next step for the Cobras is to chop them down a bit to see if that will help me find the middle more often. Might do that this week in prep for next weekend's round.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST