MEMBER REVIEWS: Cobra SpeedZone and SpeedZone Xtreme Drivers! Read The Reviews Here!

I also haven't touched the Draw settings as I already draw the ball. My guess is the SZX would be better due to it being ever so slightly more forgiving, but SZ with weight back would be similar enough. You could also go SZ at 9* and then loft up to get more draw effect with a more closed face if you'd be looking for 10.5* final loft.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Not really. I thought both were fairly neutral.

You could go with either. If you went with the SZ you will likely want to place the heavy weight in the back slot. That said I did feel that there is a small bit more forgiveness in the Xtreme so it may be the better option. If at all possible though please do get fit and ideally with a fitter that has a weight kit so that you can have them play around with weights to get you to a swing weight you are comfortable with. To me this has been the single most impactful adjustment I have played with on them as the stock SW felt really low. Other than that you might also just find one fits your eye better than the other as they do have strikingly different profiles and that can make a difference in your results too. All around I think either driver would be a very solid choice when properly fit and will work well for any number of players. Good luck!

Took the SZ out and hit it for the first time since we received them. I’ve been playing and practicing with the Extreme switching the shafts back and forth. Hit the SZ with the GD shaft, and it was underwhelming to me compared to what I remembered from the first day I hit. I could have just gotten used to the Extreme. Distance was fine but I felt like miss hits were punished. I hit it well the first weekend we got them but I guess the honeymoon cooled off. Could have been an off day but I was all over the range with it. Ball flight seemed almost too high. I switched the weights around, to no avail, and lofted it down but then that made the right miss I had going way worse. It seems like I can hit the SZ fine on my best days, but need the forgiveness of the Extreme on the worst. Going to keep tinkering to try to get better results. Going to try the Atmos shaft in it to see if anything changes. Leaning toward keeping the Extreme with the GD shaft unless things change with the SZ.

I'm leaning towards this configuration too, with the heavy weight in the back to help with forgiveness. Have a fitting appointment in mid-August and will see how it goes!

Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 6s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 14.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 17* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP 4-6 KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 7-G KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Titleist Vokey SM8 55.08 D

Titleist Vokey SM8 60.06 K 

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34'

Taylormade Tour Response Striped

Mizuno Pro Cart Bag - Staff

Just finished up compiling 2.5 rounds worth of data for the SZ and 2 rounds worth of data for the Extreme. [Note that in reality this is a small sample set of data]

aca30233-3623-4516-a099-076344aa0cfe.jpegObservations:

Extreme has given me more consistent performance and appears to give me more potential. The SZ by comparison does not perform as well, and doesn’t have any more potential than my previous gamer.

[For those not familiar with my presentation of the data, I will attempt to distill into a simple explanation. I have shown the normal distribution of my driver data. The plot for each driver shows roughly the expected distance range I would hit each driver 99% of the time]

Ping G410: 240yds avg

Cobra Speedzone: 234yds avg

Cobra Extreme: 243yds avg

The reality is that the Speedzone with heavy weight forward does not suit me and it had an impact on the numbers. With the heavy weight back it was much more manageable for me.

941d4eec-c749-437a-83fd-5d38addfb51d.jpegAnd here were the long drives from the last 2.5 rounds:

6d3d90d0-e10a-48f0-9dcf-34277bb58144.jpeg

b0e3519b-4bbe-4d5d-aa42-ce0e87f38460.jpeg

aa8fde2a-4dd5-4196-8b21-09265b987a21.jpeg

16ba85d7-7198-437c-806e-7e4d45a59799.jpeg[Hit driver 3 times last night, shown in order. 1) topped ; 2) 263yds ; 3) Came into it with such a negative AoA, drove it into the ground]

I wish I was driving the ball better, both to give the SZ a fair chance and to see its true potential. But it should also be noted that it’s not a grip and swing driver, at least for me, as it has required some tinkering. Both drivers have been great, some pluses and minuses for each but overall they are not misses. Right now the Extreme seems to agree with me the best, but those solid strikes with the SZ are hard to forget however infrequent they might be.

At this point I want to go back to the Extreme and work back into a rhythm and collect more data. I am playing this weekend, so the experiment continues.

Hey Cat, was wondering if you were sent the 9 or 10.5 degree heads in the SZ/SZE? Thanks for the test results

Cobra King F9 Speedback 10.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 6s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 14.5* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Cobra King F9 Speedback 17* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7s

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP 4-6 KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 7-G KBS $-Taper Lite PVD S

Titleist Vokey SM8 55.08 D

Titleist Vokey SM8 60.06 K 

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34'

Taylormade Tour Response Striped

Mizuno Pro Cart Bag - Staff

I don't have access to a launch monitor, but observationally the spin did seem to drop on SZ with weight up front. The ball flight seemed flatter and peak height seemed slightly lower. Between SZX and SZ with weight back (same shafts), I didn't notice much difference in ball flights. Wish I had a launch monitor to provide actual #s. There are videos posted by Crossfield, Shiels, et. al. that do these comparisons with actual #s.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Same boat as @brew4eagle , no real access to a launch monitor in my area. Golf Galaxy was the only option and they have been closed for a while and only recently phasing in people. Some pros have units, but they don’t do trackman only sessions, they all want to bundle a lesson or a package to include launch monitor.

I would echo this and as I recall from having watched all of the various video's I could find, the difference with either moving the weights to the back or from the regular SZ to the Xtreme was around 200-500 depending on who was swinging the driver. I think that range alone is indicative of what you would expect spin wise and that it really comes down to the individual as to what this number will be.

3e05db66-d9d6-4b72-8b70-68143b38f271.jpegTook the Speedzone out with the Atmos shaft and still didn’t have as good of results as I have with the Extreme with either shaft. Took a picture of the where I was hitting the ball. The blue dots are from the sharpie on my ball. Hit the driver twice on some holes. Felt like distance suffered compared to the extreme. This was all with the heavy weight back and standard 10.5 loft. Out of nine holes, I had one drive that I was absolutely stoked with, went long and straight, but off hits were shorter and off the fairway. I think I need the forgiveness of the Extreme, as I obviously don’t find center all the time. May try the weight forward again for a lower flight to help with the distance issue but I think that may kill even more forgiveness. Next round is back to the Extreme. I’m going to keep trying with the SZ on the range, but I think the Extreme is going to take the long range bag spot. As other posters have said, I feel like I have to work for the SZ.

I’ve had both heads and will say that the Extreme is just better in every way. SZ was punishing on off center. Center hits weren’t anything out of the ordinary.

Swing speed is 105 and the Extreme in 10.5 does not spin on me. It really is perfect my swing. Ultra forgiving, soft feel and lower spin.

I’m kind of shocked that this driver isn’t getting more love.

I think both drivers are good options for anyone who is looking to consider as when I find the middle the results are as good as anything I have tried. That said, I just did not find that the Xtreme was really much more forgiving than the SZ with the weight back. I do however find both heads to feel on the light side and have a hard time finding the center as much as I would like to. I think this alone is why I am not sure either will make my bag at this point.

I've had every Cobra driver since the LTD, currently using F9 9 degree played at +1.5. Had a chance to test SZ 9 with Aldila Silver Rogue, my F9's Atmos Blue, Diamana blue band and Matrix Black Tie. Having seen some of the videos comparing the two, I was prepared that the sound and feel of SZ might be a step back. None of the other shafts stood out, so I stuck with the the Rogue on the course. In fairness, I popped one about 270 which is 30-40 yards above average for me. On a different hole, actually the first of the day with the F9, 286 down the middle. Back to feel/sound, I was actually shocked. The SZ for me just can't touch F9. Now messing around with a Silver Rogue in F9 head with promising results; ultimately the F9 with Atmos Blue will be very hard to beat but no doubt the driver itself is locked in.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

Update:

SZ Extreme, 14g weight, GD AD IZ in my most recent round, was a complete disaster. I haven’t had so many banana slices in 5yrs, I dare say I haven’t banana sliced in close to 5yrs.

Full disclosure, not the drivers fault, but the quick switch with no practice might not have been the best idea. I will say that even with that much curvature and offline flight the ball flew far, but the data will tell the real story.

I plan on playing again this weekend, hopefully it was just a fluke round.

Just a quick update-

After a lot of tinkering between the two Cobra drivers, I am finding that I am able to achieve the best consistency with the Extreme with the stock 6g weight and ... wait for it.... the wild card shaft, the Tensei AV Blue 65 Regular. Interestingly enough this shaft is the closest on the Shaft chart from Cobra site to the Ventus Red I was hoping to be able to get but could not. I still do not find the center as squarely as I would like to and continue to miss it towards the toe more times than not. Despite this I am able to hit many fairway finding shots with anywhere from a slight draw to a small fade. Distance wise it's still not quite as long as my current gamer, missing the mark by only about 5-8 yards. I think that where my gamer, the G410 plus, is still working better for me is that I am able to find the center more often and accordingly am hitting more consistently straight drives. This could easily be a difference in the shafts as the G410+ has a stock Alta CB 55, which of course is a high launch counter balanced shaft. The Alta CB shaft with the 9* plus head just seems to work well for me. I feel like I really want the SZ's to out perform the Ping as I give either Cobra head the nod in aesthetics. Feel and performance wise while the Cobra's are close to the Ping they fall just a tad short for me. Putting my own preference aside I think the Cobra's are really excellent sticks and it should go without saying that they are among the best drivers available. As with all things, it ends up coming down to how something performs for the individual and unless further play changes my mind, I don't see either of the Cobra's finding a permanent spot in the bag.

Been on vacation all week, and forgot to update. Played a round before I left and played the SZ with the Atmos shaft. Finally got a feel for the driver and hit it a lot better. Still didn’t play it as well as I have played the Extreme though. Still felt like it was shorter than the extreme even on center strikes. Played it in stock setting so now I’m going to try messing with loft and weight settings to try to get as much out of it as I can before I go back to the Extreme. The extreme is such a good head and a better fit for me. It’s going to make the bag for me. Not sure yet which shaft will be in it though. Played well with the GD shaft in it before.

• 3 weeks later...

Are any of you testers still playing these? If so what set up did you end up going with or did you go back to your OG?

I finally got the chance to hit these but all I know from that is I cannot hit inside a box and the Xtreme head felt much much better than the SZ. I also tested the 9 degree heads which I think was not the answer for me.   I'll probably give these and the F9 another go at some point.

2 hours ago, kobes31 said:

Are any of you testers still playing these? If so what set up did you end up going with or did you go back to your OG?

I finally got the chance to hit these but all I know from that is I cannot hit inside a box and the Xtreme head felt much much better than the SZ. I also tested the 9 degree heads which I think was not the answer for me.   I'll probably give these and the F9 another go at some point.

Ended up picking the Extreme head.  It’s excellent. I’m still bouncing back and forth with the shafts.

I had a big update ready to post, and then I got rained out and the forums swapped over.  

quick notes:

ive been in the Extreme head, heavy weight, and the GD shaft.  I think I am about wrapping up the  testing.  I’ve updated my chart and the Extreme appears to be good for an additional ~3yds.  I have had several drives in the 260+ range the last 3 rounds, and Non-middle shots aren’t punished too much. I don’t hit nearly enough out of the middle and I think the most benefit comes out of the middle.  A good swing out of the middle is good for a couple 270 drives, but towards the toe is more like 220-230.  The biggest problem for me has been the prevalence of the two way driver direction.

I can see the upside on the Speedzone head, but it is even more punishing compared to the Extreme.  I will not pursue additional testing with this head.

Conclusion:

I wish I could give these drivers a better test, I think part of my struggles is trying to adjust session to session.  Unfortunately, consciously adjusting manifests as worse results for me sometimes.  I think with a proper fit these are legit, solid drivers.  I’ll be honest, I may have sabotaged myself with my shaft selection, I went x-stiff because I felt a stock shaft and GD product may player “softer” to flex.  It may just not quite fit me well enough.  I think this underlies the need for a proper fit, my self fit has yielded mixed results, “it’s good, could be better, I like it, but it feels unfamiliar, etc”.  My biggest concern is stability toe(for me) and heel, I don’t feel like it is as hot or forgiving for either head.

ive made some comments that sound critical, but honestly I think it comes down to comfort.  I think with time and patience it would start to click and these drivers would be excellent.  Coming from the Ping 410, I miss the toe weight, I feel like that toe side hit is not as punished(spin or distance) as compared to the Cobra drivers.

Recommendation:

the Extreme shines, any repeatable or consistent swinger is going to really like this one.  The Speedzone head has big upside, but you need to hit center consistently.  

I plan on continuing on with the Extreme, trying to find that groove and seeing if I can stretch out the distance and fix direction(mainly this).

06E24249-E29A-4E2A-833C-5C26F772039F.jpeg

On 8/18/2020 at 7:30 AM, kobes31 said:

I ended up going back to my original i20, it's just more reliable for me, just as long, and I like the smaller footprint at address.  That said, I could easily make either SZ head work for me if the i20 disappeared.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 8/18/2020 at 7:30 AM, kobes31 said:

I love the look and the overall feel and on good drives the distance was as good as it gets for me. I ended up sticking with the G410+ though as it just seems so much easier for me to make consistent solid contact with it. I would be willing to be that if properly fit, shaft and set up wise,my results would be more identical to the Ping. With that in mind, I might pull them out again this year and do some more tinkering at a local fitter but for now.. the Ping is my go to gamer.

Edited by Dpavs

After testing these and putting them through the paces, the Extreme head with the Fujikura Atmos TS shaft made the bag. Hitting it very consistently, and the ball just wants to stay straight. Ended up selling my Callaway Driver that I played before receiving the Cobras, and can see the Extreme being in the bag for a while to come. Thanks again Cobra and WRX!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

In the month or so since I last posted I have managed to golf two full rounds...about a month apart.  As stated previously, I have stuck with the Extreme in the hopes of finding a groove.  Whether I am just swinging better or a found a “groove” with the driver, it is really performing.

I hit driver 15 times over those two rounds, and 8oo15 are 250yds+.  With my longest drive each round over 280yds.  

3854517E-ED74-4E61-B44A-FE2D0B9DC81D.jpeg.a547b5713d2c8412bd96e16d6587d861.jpeg
12AC11DC-238A-4B37-AB61-280BF044894E.jpeg.1c05d6407e07c8ad9ed2846a8b7e723c.jpeg

The extreme has so far averaged out ~6yds longer than my most recent gamer:
5A3762B6-609D-4573-A4C1-41D2D064384A.png.34bf7831d535eb1bb428a05954e7a777.png

I think a good test at this point is to go back to my gamer and see if my swing is better or the extreme is better.

Edited by CAT GOLFER