2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I have never had or seen a hole in one...

Jcbgt106

Been playing regularly since 2005. I have only witnessed one ace. I was in a 4 man best ball tournament and we had a 140 or so yard par 3. The tee box was well above the green and the pin location was the very back of the green, and the green had a large slope down at the back.  My teammate hits and we watch the ball go high and hit the back of the green. All of us swore he just missed on the down slope, there was no bounce or anything. We all look for his ball for a couple minutes and a guy on the other team checks the hole. Sure enough it was in the freaking hole!

I have played 150-180 rounds a year for 20 plus year and have never had one...UNTIL MONDAY!!!! Temecula Creek Inn Stonehouse #5 7 iron, uphill 157 yards

• Like 4

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

I used to play golf up untill I was around 18-19, took a couple years off now I'm 24. Got back into it after my dad signed us up for a league. 

So the day is August 17th 2020, me and my dad are playing ghosts for this week in our league because the guys we were supposed to play didn't show up. We played the back nine that day. My dad has about an 18 handicap. He wasn't playing good at all that day, like at all....

Then we end up at the 17th hole, it's a 158 yd par 3 uphill over a pond. You can't see the surface of the green, but you can see the flag. 

I ask my dad what he's gunna hit, he replied "oh you know, what's the one club that works perfect everytime Joe?" I said "the 7... Your gunna bring the 7 out....". "yup" he says. We play ready golf so he goes first. He had a beautiful hit, everything about it sounded crisp, smooth, and perfect. He even held the stance after the swing. "Wow, that was pretty nice way to come back on the second last hole!" I said. I take my shot then we head up to the green.

We get to the green, and we cannot, and I mean cannot find his ball. We are looking I'm the bushes, in the rough, maybe it went I'm the tall grass.... Then I hear my dad screaming "I GOT A HOLE IN ONE MOTHER f***er!!!! I GOT A MOTHER-f****** HOLE IN ONE!!!!!!!!!!" I couldn't believe my ears.... I didn't believe it, so I walk over to the pin and my jaw drops.... He was right, he got a hole in one.... 

I was worried people wouldn't believe him, you know playing a ghost team and all that day....

But he ended up on the course website for the hole in one section and got a spot in the Corfu, NY local paper. If y'all don't believe the course name is chestnut hill country club in darien center, NY. His name is Tom Durkin.... And that's my dad. So proud of him!!!! Me and my mom are going to be getting him a surprise glass trophy for his birthday with the exact ball in it. He deserves it. For being downright aweful with any club except the 7 iron, he deserves it for being the best dad!

• Like 2

I have had 2

The first was on a super windy day- Ball went a mile in the air and came straight down the flag pole into the cup

second was a more conventional one hopper on green and roll in

Both were 8 irons ( tho different ones)

First was an  s2h2 other dont remember- think it was an AP1

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard to time for sure but Ive been witness to three of them and none of them were mine. Essentially it becomes a go in the hole shouts from the players in the group then you see the ball land and you see either a roll out and the ball disappear. It doesnt happen with awesome stick neither. My friend who is up wards of high teens when it comes to index hit a beautiful 5 wood for his par three and the thing hit of a mound to the side of the green and just followed a path into the hole. That one was cool to watch. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I don't have one but witnessed two by the same guy at the same hole about a year apart.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 7/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, jholz said:

I've played for nearly 40 years and have only personally witnessed one HIO. Never had one myself.

The one I witnessed was similar to Barnicle's above - a ridiculously bad shot by one of the worst golfers I have ever regularly played with. He mishit a low running cutter with a 3 wood on a hole that was 142 yards long. Bounced over a ditch, bounded up onto the green and rolled directly into the hole.

It was about that time that I stopped caring about holes-in-one. They are a fluke regardless of who hits it.

LOL I somehow clearly could see that shot play out in my head... Been playing since 5 (36 now) and never seen one or had one.   

I once holed-in-par.  Dunked my tee shot in the water with 7 iron, re-teed and flew it on the hole for par... That was interesting.  

One day I will have one and it's going to be a mishit bounce off a cart path I know it.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Never had or seen one myself.  But oddly enough I did have a 2 on a par 5 in 2015.  Was into direct sun so I couldn’t see it go in.  Group on the adjoining tee box went bananas.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

22 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Never had or seen one myself.  But oddly enough I did have a 2 on a par 5 in 2015.  Was into direct sun so I couldn’t see it go in.  Group on the adjoining tee box went bananas.  

The Albatross might even be more rare than a hole-in-one.  I've seen a handful of hole-in-ones over the years, even two from the same guy.  I've only ever heard of one albatross from the circles of players I've played with through the years.  I've never actually seen one. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

The Albatross might even be more rare than a hole-in-one.  I've seen a handful of hole-in-ones over the years, even two from the same guy.  I've only ever heard of one albatross from the circles of players I've played with through the years.  I've never actually seen one. 

Wish I had seen it.  Lol. Was hit into a late evening setting sun.  I couldn’t see the green much less the pin   I had to get a visual and then let it go.  Guys dad I knew was teeing off on 7 which adjoins the first hole.  Said it one hopped and dunked in.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Wish I had seen it.  Lol. Was hit into a late evening setting sun.  I couldn’t see the green much less the pin   I had to get a visual and then let it go.  Guys dad I knew was teeing off on 7 which adjoins the first hole.  Said it one hopped and dunked in.  

Sounds like it was a perfect shot with a perfect result.  Those are sweet.  I hit the stick the other day on the toughest par three on my home course.  and when I say hit the stick, I mean hit it and was left with a tap in.  I was by myself and it was a mulligan, so I was quite relieved that it didn't drop  lol 

Edited by Dr. Block

57 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Sounds like it was a perfect shot with a perfect result.  Those are sweet.  I hit the stick the other day on the toughest par three on my course.  and when I say hit the stick, I mean hit it and was left with a tap in.  I was by myself and it was a mulligan, so I was quite relieved that it didn't drop  lol 

Lol. Amazing how that works.  

not too long ago I hit in a pond on a par 3.  During an event.  Drop zone was too close and over water so I re- teed.  Was a pitching wedge to a front pin.  In the air I said “ you better not go in you sob “. It looked and felt that good.  It landed 2 inches from in and then danced by and then spun back by the hole.  3 chances to go in.  I then made the remark that I’d have been mad if it went in.  Which was met with blank stares.  I then said “ the golf gods sick sense of humor isn’t lost on me.  I can’t give them the satisfaction “!  Stupid game.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have never had one, or seen one while playing.  However, I caddied for 10 years and saw 3 aces while caddying.   

Caddied at a fairly stuffy club on the north shore in IL, and the first ace that I saw was on a Monday outing.  I was 15 at the time caddying with one of my best friends.  This chop was hammered on the 17th hole and hit a low runner from a raised tee that skid in front of the green, ran up and dropped in the hole.   He was jumping up and down with the other guys in the group and yells "that was better than sex!", and then points to my friend who was much shorter than me at the time and follows up with, "he wouldn't know what I'm talking about!".  An all-time moment for me.

Even better, he thought he won a car on the hole-in-one hole.....only it was the wrong hole in one hole.  He won a camera.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I've witnessed three from others, one from a group in front of us, and twice from guys I was playing with. I actually have 10 myself, 3 of which I did not see go in the hole:

- 1) the pin was set in the back of the green in a bowl so we couldn't see the bottom of the flagstick

- 2) just due to the length of the hole it was tough to discern if it had actually gone in or finished right behind the hole

- 3) was a sharp dogleg par 4 that had been shortened due to conditions and cutting the dogleg the shot played over small evergreens that hid the green and location of the flagstick, a totally blind shot!

I've never witnessed one, but I've had 2 of them.  The first one I had witnesses so it's counts.  The second one I was playing by myself so does it really count?  Ironically, both shots were a bit thin.  Landed short of the hole and rolled into the cup. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Never had or seen one. I've been playing about 25 years. 

I do have a quick story. About 8 years ago, I hit a worm-burner on a 175 yard par 3 that was tracking right at the flag. As I was holding my glorious finish, I kept saying out loud, "don't go in, don't go in, don't go in". I didn't want that to be my hole-in-one story. The ball came up about a foot short of the hole.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, Jcbgt106 said:

I have been golfing regularly for 15 years and have probably played 1000+\- rounds of golf. I have never had or even seen a hole in one.

Is that normal? What’s it like for you all? Does anyone have a longer dry streak of seeing an ace?

the guy I was with had one, and it was an elevated green, so no one saw anything.   After searching the back of the green we all said....what about the hole? And sure enough, there it was.  It was exciting, but a little anti-climactic I guess since none of us saw it go in lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never had one, or saw one first hand.

But, I have been on the course and a group start screaming because someone did.

We had a guy a couple of groups over hit an ( ugly) one.

They said it was a ratty ball, and he hit it and it was thin, rolled thru a shallow bunker, up on the green, got slow, and fell in the hole.

He wouldn't keep the ball because it was nasty.

I would have still made a display if it had been mine.

• 3 weeks later...