I have never had or seen a hole in one...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have played 150-180 rounds a year for 20 plus year and have never had one...UNTIL MONDAY!!!! Temecula Creek Inn Stonehouse #5 7 iron, uphill 157 yards    

What are you doing on Saturday?

I got mine today. 9i, 140yds. Playing off and on 20 years, seen some shots come close but that’s the first ace I’ve witnessed. Got my first eagle last week too, 56deg from 85 yds. Things are looking u

Posted Images

Been playing regularly since 2005. I have only witnessed one ace. I was in a 4 man best ball tournament and we had a 140 or so yard par 3. The tee box was well above the green and the pin location was the very back of the green, and the green had a large slope down at the back.  My teammate hits and we watch the ball go high and hit the back of the green. All of us swore he just missed on the down slope, there was no bounce or anything. We all look for his ball for a couple minutes and a guy on the other team checks the hole. Sure enough it was in the freaking hole!

Never had one personally and the only one I have seen was in Memphis when Stewart Cink knocked one in back in 2018. 

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Evenflow Black 75g 6.0 | Ping G410 19* Tour 85x | Srixon z785 4-PW C-Taper Lite X Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60SBlue Slate, Modus 125s | Lajsoi DD201 Longneck | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

I have played 150-180 rounds a year for 20 plus year and have never had one...UNTIL MONDAY!!!! Temecula Creek Inn Stonehouse #5 7 iron, uphill 157 yards

• Like 4

Pin High Always Wins

Driver: M6 Oban Hashimoto 04

3w M1  Kuro Kage 70 S

3H 21* Adams XTD Super Fubuki S

4H 23* Nike SQ hDiamana S

Irons: PXG Gen 2 0311XF 5-PW PX 5.5

Wedges: PXG 0311 50*, 54*. 58*

Putter: Cameron Newport 2 
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

I used to play golf up untill I was around 18-19, took a couple years off now I'm 24. Got back into it after my dad signed us up for a league. 

So the day is August 17th 2020, me and my dad are playing ghosts for this week in our league because the guys we were supposed to play didn't show up. We played the back nine that day. My dad has about an 18 handicap. He wasn't playing good at all that day, like at all....

Then we end up at the 17th hole, it's a 158 yd par 3 uphill over a pond. You can't see the surface of the green, but you can see the flag. 

I ask my dad what he's gunna hit, he replied "oh you know, what's the one club that works perfect everytime Joe?" I said "the 7... Your gunna bring the 7 out....". "yup" he says. We play ready golf so he goes first. He had a beautiful hit, everything about it sounded crisp, smooth, and perfect. He even held the stance after the swing. "Wow, that was pretty nice way to come back on the second last hole!" I said. I take my shot then we head up to the green.

We get to the green, and we cannot, and I mean cannot find his ball. We are looking I'm the bushes, in the rough, maybe it went I'm the tall grass.... Then I hear my dad screaming "I GOT A HOLE IN ONE MOTHER f***er!!!! I GOT A MOTHER-f****** HOLE IN ONE!!!!!!!!!!" I couldn't believe my ears.... I didn't believe it, so I walk over to the pin and my jaw drops.... He was right, he got a hole in one.... 

I was worried people wouldn't believe him, you know playing a ghost team and all that day....

But he ended up on the course website for the hole in one section and got a spot in the Corfu, NY local paper. If y'all don't believe the course name is chestnut hill country club in darien center, NY. His name is Tom Durkin.... And that's my dad. So proud of him!!!! Me and my mom are going to be getting him a surprise glass trophy for his birthday with the exact ball in it. He deserves it. For being downright aweful with any club except the 7 iron, he deserves it for being the best dad!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It is hard to time for sure but Ive been witness to three of them and none of them were mine. Essentially it becomes a go in the hole shouts from the players in the group then you see the ball land and you see either a roll out and the ball disappear. It doesnt happen with awesome stick neither. My friend who is up wards of high teens when it comes to index hit a beautiful 5 wood for his par three and the thing hit of a mound to the side of the green and just followed a path into the hole. That one was cool to watch. 

TaylorMade R1 Devotion 06/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade Aeroburner Graphite Design BB6S

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Taylormade HiToe 52/60 C taper 120

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I don't have one but witnessed two by the same guy at the same hole about a year apart.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 7/1/2020 at 2:52 PM, jholz said:

I've played for nearly 40 years and have only personally witnessed one HIO. Never had one myself.

The one I witnessed was similar to Barnicle's above - a ridiculously bad shot by one of the worst golfers I have ever regularly played with. He mishit a low running cutter with a 3 wood on a hole that was 142 yards long. Bounced over a ditch, bounded up onto the green and rolled directly into the hole.

It was about that time that I stopped caring about holes-in-one. They are a fluke regardless of who hits it.

LOL I somehow clearly could see that shot play out in my head... Been playing since 5 (36 now) and never seen one or had one.   

I once holed-in-par.  Dunked my tee shot in the water with 7 iron, re-teed and flew it on the hole for par... That was interesting.  

One day I will have one and it's going to be a mishit bounce off a cart path I know it.  

• Like 1

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
Bridgestone Tour BX

Never had or seen one myself.  But oddly enough I did have a 2 on a par 5 in 2015.  Was into direct sun so I couldn’t see it go in.  Group on the adjoining tee box went bananas.  

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 * KBS TD Category 5 

Mavrik subzero 16.5 * Tensie CK blue 80TX 

Mavrik subzero 18* Accra TZ6 85-m5

Titleist T100 4-pw modus 130x 

Vokey sm7 raw 50*54*58 v grind Amt s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

22 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Never had or seen one myself.  But oddly enough I did have a 2 on a par 5 in 2015.  Was into direct sun so I couldn’t see it go in.  Group on the adjoining tee box went bananas.  

The Albatross might even be more rare than a hole-in-one.  I've seen a handful of hole-in-ones over the years, even two from the same guy.  I've only ever heard of one albatross from the circles of players I've played with through the years.  I've never actually seen one. 

12 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

The Albatross might even be more rare than a hole-in-one.  I've seen a handful of hole-in-ones over the years, even two from the same guy.  I've only ever heard of one albatross from the circles of players I've played with through the years.  I've never actually seen one. 

Wish I had seen it.  Lol. Was hit into a late evening setting sun.  I couldn’t see the green much less the pin   I had to get a visual and then let it go.  Guys dad I knew was teeing off on 7 which adjoins the first hole.  Said it one hopped and dunked in.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Wish I had seen it.  Lol. Was hit into a late evening setting sun.  I couldn’t see the green much less the pin   I had to get a visual and then let it go.  Guys dad I knew was teeing off on 7 which adjoins the first hole.  Said it one hopped and dunked in.  

Sounds like it was a perfect shot with a perfect result.  Those are sweet.  I hit the stick the other day on the toughest par three on my home course.  and when I say hit the stick, I mean hit it and was left with a tap in.  I was by myself and it was a mulligan, so I was quite relieved that it didn't drop  lol 

Edited by Dr. Block
57 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Sounds like it was a perfect shot with a perfect result.  Those are sweet.  I hit the stick the other day on the toughest par three on my course.  and when I say hit the stick, I mean hit it and was left with a tap in.  I was by myself and it was a mulligan, so I was quite relieved that it didn't drop  lol 

Lol. Amazing how that works.  

not too long ago I hit in a pond on a par 3.  During an event.  Drop zone was too close and over water so I re- teed.  Was a pitching wedge to a front pin.  In the air I said “ you better not go in you sob “. It looked and felt that good.  It landed 2 inches from in and then danced by and then spun back by the hole.  3 chances to go in.  I then made the remark that I’d have been mad if it went in.  Which was met with blank stares.  I then said “ the golf gods sick sense of humor isn’t lost on me.  I can’t give them the satisfaction “!  Stupid game.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

I have never had one, or seen one while playing.  However, I caddied for 10 years and saw 3 aces while caddying.   

Caddied at a fairly stuffy club on the north shore in IL, and the first ace that I saw was on a Monday outing.  I was 15 at the time caddying with one of my best friends.  This chop was hammered on the 17th hole and hit a low runner from a raised tee that skid in front of the green, ran up and dropped in the hole.   He was jumping up and down with the other guys in the group and yells "that was better than sex!", and then points to my friend who was much shorter than me at the time and follows up with, "he wouldn't know what I'm talking about!".  An all-time moment for me.

Even better, he thought he won a car on the hole-in-one hole.....only it was the wrong hole in one hole.  He won a camera.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

I've witnessed three from others, one from a group in front of us, and twice from guys I was playing with. I actually have 10 myself, 3 of which I did not see go in the hole:

- 1) the pin was set in the back of the green in a bowl so we couldn't see the bottom of the flagstick

- 2) just due to the length of the hole it was tough to discern if it had actually gone in or finished right behind the hole

- 3) was a sharp dogleg par 4 that had been shortened due to conditions and cutting the dogleg the shot played over small evergreens that hid the green and location of the flagstick, a totally blind shot!

I've never witnessed one, but I've had 2 of them.  The first one I had witnesses so it's counts.  The second one I was playing by myself so does it really count?  Ironically, both shots were a bit thin.  Landed short of the hole and rolled into the cup. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Never had or seen one. I've been playing about 25 years. 

I do have a quick story. About 8 years ago, I hit a worm-burner on a 175 yard par 3 that was tracking right at the flag. As I was holding my glorious finish, I kept saying out loud, "don't go in, don't go in, don't go in". I didn't want that to be my hole-in-one story. The ball came up about a foot short of the hole.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:09 PM, Jcbgt106 said:

I have been golfing regularly for 15 years and have probably played 1000+\- rounds of golf. I have never had or even seen a hole in one.

Is that normal? What’s it like for you all? Does anyone have a longer dry streak of seeing an ace?

the guy I was with had one, and it was an elevated green, so no one saw anything.   After searching the back of the green we all said....what about the hole? And sure enough, there it was.  It was exciting, but a little anti-climactic I guess since none of us saw it go in lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have never had one, or saw one first hand.

But, I have been on the course and a group start screaming because someone did.

We had a guy a couple of groups over hit an ( ugly) one.

They said it was a ratty ball, and he hit it and it was thin, rolled thru a shallow bunker, up on the green, got slow, and fell in the hole.

He wouldn't keep the ball because it was nasty.

I would have still made a display if it had been mine.

• 3 weeks later...