If you could have only one set of clubs for at least 15 years what would you choose?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If health is an upcoming issue, then I'd pick what I can hit with the least amount of pain. That would be my modern 8 club bag with senior graphite shafts & Ping SW and Putter.

The ones I'm playing now. Wilson Staffs.

I'd probably keep my Wilson FG-J8s, though I doubt I'd be able to hit the 3i when I'm 79*.   *Full disclaimer: I can't even hit the 3i now.

Pedersen Exel Stainless steel blades from the mid 1990’s.

I had been hitting these things great but someone offered me a modern set for a set of Hogan heads I was selling. These modern irons are beautiful with Steelfiber shafts but now that I have them I just prefer my Pedersens more.

I guess for me I’d find the favorite set I already have than selling it all to buy one perfect set....it might not be perfect.

The Bag...

Stan Thompson Reactionizer Persimmon woods 1-4
Peerless Palmer 3-SW

Macgregor Bobby Grace M6.4K 

I'm not so sure how modern you would actually have to get. I agree with the graphite shafts though and the Eye 2 SW and Zing putter.

I saw a really nice set of Hogan Apex Plus that had been reshafted with Aerotech steel fibers in Sr. A 6-E would be fine. Add to that a high lofted driver like a Ping G2 Faith in 14° shafted up with an NV 55 Sr. flex shaft. Then I'd look for an older Big Bertha War bird Heavenwood with the lighter BBUL shaft in R and a Nickent 3DX hybrid 5 in Sr. Leave the 7 & 9 irons home to get down to an 8 club bag and you're set. I could play this set-up quite happily until I was done with the game.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°

Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°

TM '09 Rescue 25°

TM Burner Plus 6-AW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

For 15 years starting at 79, I would say Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons. Some wedges, fairway woods, and a driver with enough loft to get some height now and in the future. I realize these are not classic clubs.

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I'll keep what I have, just reshaft to match the current skill and strength...

Ping G400 LS Tec 8.5*, Rogue Silver 125 MSI, Tour S, 44.25"
Ping G410 14.5*, Stock Alta S Flex, 43"
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85S
Callaway Apex X Muscleback 4-P, DG Tour Issue shafts
Callaway X Forged 52, 56, 60-DG Tour Issue shafts
Odyssey #7 stroke lab, 34" oversize grip
Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1

That's been my thinking as I've contemplated a response to this. The current club heads would transition just fine. The long range analysis is really about determining the suitable shaft weight (and by extension total club weight) and flex of the shafts that would be needed. What I'm utilizing now will likely to be fundamentally different 15 years into the future, when I'd be 84. Would surmise it will lighter and softer throughout. WTS, been noticing incremental changes in my decidedly average golf game for the last several years. Primarily loss of relative distance. But going lighter, particularly with graphite iron shafts, has not been the solution that I had anticipated. Presenting its own set of unintended consequences. But that's beyond the scope of the OP's query.

In summary. Keep the heads, change the shafts as necessary.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

If I had to go with one set, I'd probably run with my set of Golden Ram TW276, which currently have NV graphite shafts. I'd reserve the right to change the shafts.

If durability was an issue, making them last for 15 years, I might go with a set of Eye2. There's nothing like the durability of those 17-4 Ping irons.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I agree, if yo like the heads you have currently, just reshaft (get fitted) the set and go have fun, that's the goal right, to have fun?!?!, I play well sure, but I just enjoy being out there, scores haven't matter to me for a while now, if I am playing a tournament, yes, I will do my best to play well, but I will not be upset if I don't, again, golf is a game, that's all, enjoy it to the best you can...take care and enjoy...

Ping G400 LS Tec 8.5*, Rogue Silver 125 MSI, Tour S, 44.25"
Ping G410 14.5*, Stock Alta S Flex, 43"
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85S
Callaway Apex X Muscleback 4-P, DG Tour Issue shafts
Callaway X Forged 52, 56, 60-DG Tour Issue shafts
Odyssey #7 stroke lab, 34" oversize grip
Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1