My son is putting like trash with the covid cups. Anyone else?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you say, in a forum about junior golf, that you'll intentionally leave poor conditions for every player behind you, you deserve the scorn. That's the exact opposite of the sportsmanship that gol

Our course put these in last week. Seems to work well. 

Posted Images

Normally you can rake the bunker and it you don't you can get a penalty. For the most part most kids and adults do a pretty good job. But using you feet means no one is doing a good job.

The problem is as long as we have all these dumb rules with obstacles in the flagstick and no rakes to rake the bunk and even all the rules back at the club house it takes away from the winners and puts an asterisk next to their name.

As far as I am concerned all tournaments after covid are not really the same and shouldn't be relied on for rankings. Lift clean and place in bunk is just terrible reminds of little kids tournaments where the bunkers would flood so they all were taken out of play and kids would smash the ball into the bunker because it was close enough.

There is no reason why junior golf tournaments put out the call for 18-20 volunteers to rake the bunkers and hold the flagsticks are holes. I like to watch my kid play as much as anyone but I would volunteer for this if it meant helping them achieve a fair competition. Kid is old enough to play without me watching now.

Honestly it would be great for the kids to get rid of parents following the them.

You do realize that when you exit the bunker you will not be able to smooth out all of the footprints anyway? If you are in the lip of a bunker and the sand caves in it will not be fixed anyway? You have a people members/hackers play in front of the tournament and the bunkers aren't going to be smoothed out anyway?

You also can't show sarcasm on forums. So no, I am not ashamed for saying what I said. If I was ashamed I wouldn't have said it. I don't let others think, nor speak, nor tell me how I should think or feel. I do just fine for myself.

you said "If I am the first group out on the last day, no way I smooth over the sand with my foot"

that is not joe public out before the tournament and all the other ways you tried to walk that statement back. you can think you do just fine for yourself, i'm a-ok with that. I think it's a despicable approach and anything but "fine".

• Like 2

. who expects a perfect bunker with a rake never mind a foot. For the most part bunkers have crappy lies and that alone is reason to avoid them. If we are talking about the top 50 players in the world then having a pristine sand bunker helps.

With everyone one else the chance to save par is slim to none. When it happens it because of luck. The lie isn’t the reason and most decent players will get it out.

Everyone also acts like the comment made by heavy is some shocking comment when in fact far worse offenses are made all the time. Some kids will do anything to other players off their game including questioning rule, and just plain bad sportsman-misconduct or just been plain rude. Then you have kids who will lie about their score. some kids will claim low scores anyone can see something is wrong just by seeing the scorecard and knowing where officials were placed.. what are the odds a kid scores 11 on par 4 when the official was there and then suddenly find their game to par or birdie everything else to finish for a 75.

time to get back on topic for the vast majority of kids with the current Covid setup of pins if you can hit the green and lag putt and then a few close enough to get the occasional birdie you have a good chance to consistently score 2or 3 rounds in low 70’s. That is good enough to be at the top of the leaderboard and if you have good day win a few of them. When things get to normal work on breaking par again.

Most players can not put a bunker shot less then 3 feet of a pin if you are more then 10-15 yards from the pin the majority of the time. I am using the top players as an example of what good bunker play is if you watch those players the control they have is almost unreal out of the bunker. Generally speaking if your that good at bunker play and not one the best players out there it's because your swing is not that good and you are in the bunkers all the time. This also then tells me since the irons are not that good the chance of hitting a controlled bunker shot is pretty slim.

My local course is back to no covid cups and pull the flag if you want, love it.

Edit- the frustrating part is that none of these cup measures are actually science-based, just there for the cosmetics.

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Garmin Approach G10

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

When you say, in a forum about junior golf, that you'll intentionally leave poor conditions for every player behind you, you deserve the scorn. That's the exact opposite of the sportsmanship that golf is intended to rely on. And its the exact opposite of the values that most people would want junior players to learn. The despicable part of this is promoting this kind of action. Perhaps you were being sarcastic, but there ARE ways to indicate that. You failed to do so.

• Like 3

I love it when the forum just moves away from the topic. I think the game should be played within the spirit and yes conditions change during the day. I don't agree with Tiger that the kids are not good bunker player. Conditions do matter and the top kids that shoot par or under get up and down from bunkers. That said, IMO all these issues are manageable . We make a point of simulating tournament conditions during practice.

We practice putting with the stick and device.

Bunkers are not raked during practice and you play how it lies. In fact we create foot marks and place the ball in that.

When ever he whines about conditions..my answer is the same. Be glad you are playing golf, life is not fair, and there are days you will get lucky breaks and some days nothing will go your way -- deal with it.

Yes patrick_read, I mean heavy_hitter, you do have the right to say what you want when you want, but it doesn't make what you think or say ok. Whether you play golf or not is irrelevant; those who have commented on your statement are merely pointing out that what you said indicates something about your character. So, whilst you may not care what others think of you, you have to accept that it reflects badly on you. Purposefully leaving a bunker in a mess for the players behind you is not in the spirit of the game, and definitely not what we should be condoning.   

• Like 1

"Purposefully leaving a bunker in a mess for the players behind you is not in the spirit of the game, and definitely not what we should be condoning."

Even more important, its not the way young golfers should be taught to behave.

I found it interesting (disappointing?) that my opinion was somehow considered by at least one person to be not valid in this forum, because I don't post here very often. But aren't young people the future of the game of golf, and don't the rest of us more experienced golfers have some responsibility in helping them learn right from wrong on the course? I love the rare opportunities I get to play with new golfers of all ages. And if I saw a new golfer intentionally leave a mess in a bunker, I'd have no hesitation in telling him to go back and do what's right.

• Like 1

I would love to think that juniors are taught better but a lot juniors are encouraged to do stuff like this. Honestly I am convinced it is not just parents who teach this crap. I know of one particular junior golf academy in Florida teaches there kids play games on other kids. I am sure others teach similar things too especially kids who play high school golf. Some these coaches should be ashamed of themselves they way their kids act. It's pretty easy to catch on to these stupid games.

A person can get upset over this sort of thing but these tactics end up backfiring on those kids. It can go both ways kids who like to treat playing partners bad can always be treated back the same way. The funny thing is I seen a lot kids have absolute fits and mess they're game up because they can not intimidate anyone else in the group.

At the end of the day golf isn't about the other players it's you against the course the ones with the best day is who wins. If a kid doesn't learn that don't expect them to get past junior golf.

@tiger1873 says:
"I would love to think that juniors are taught better but a lot juniors are encouraged to do stuff like this. Honestly I am convinced it is not just parents who teach this crap. I know of one particular junior golf academy in Florida teaches there kids play games on other kids. I am sure others teach similar things too especially kids who play high school golf. Some these coaches should be ashamed of themselves they way their kids act. It's pretty easy to catch on to these stupid games."
Reading this makes it seem even more important that some of us DO care enough to try to counterbalance the unethical teachings of a few of the parents and coaches (I hope its relatively few) involved with the junior game. In my mind, the youngsters who play at my club represent my club when they're competing. Whether its for their high-school team, or AJGC events, VSGA junior events, whatever, they're from my club, and I think that gives me a reasonable interest in having them behave properly. Yes, I want each kid to play well, to win, but even more important I want them to behave well. I feel exactly the same about my behavior when I play inter-club competitions.
And back to the original topic, everyone has had to adapt to the changes made during the COVID times. If someone has trouble putting with flagsticks and/or pool noodles in, he better find a way around it. Practice until its not a problem any more, stop using it as an excuse for poor performance. I know, the OP wasn't making excuses, wondering about causes. Just like we have to adapt to different wind speeds, temperatures, green firmness or speed, grass types, we each have to learnt to adapt to the flagstick measures.
  • 2 weeks later...