KBS Tour V vs PX LZ vs PX vs Nippon

Hi Guys,

I play the KBS Tour V stiff Shafts at the moment. In the Winter month I tested some Shafts and went with them. 89mph 7 Iron with 170 yards carry on normal swings. Always play 0,25 to 0,5 inch longer. Cut length 7 Iron is 37,25 inch.

I like the Tour V Shafts, but sometimes I feel like they could be smoother or softer. Flex wise they are fine. Dispersion is good, too. It is just a feel that I miss.

Here are some Shafts I tried:

Modus 105 stiff:

They were so much softer compared to the Tour V that they feel like soft noodles. I don't hit them left or right, Dispersion was good but just the feel at impact seems a little too flimsy. From a fitting standpoint I would say they are stable enough, but it seems like the Tour V could handle more aggressive swings better.

X100:

Too much Shaft for me. Weight and Flex

PX LZ 6.0:

Nice Feeling Shaft. Good Dispersion. Only Problem are my half swings from 135 yards and in. I can't control the Shafts properly. I experienced that in the last 10 Years when Shafts are more than 115 gr. my half swing are crap. Give me under 115 gr. and I'm fine. Note: the 115 gr. is uncut Shaft weight.

PX 6.0 non flighted:

Again, too much Shaft for me, 5.5 isn't that better.

Modus 120:

Feels weird and go left all the time.

So I did a little research and want to hear you opinions on the following Models:

Nippon 950GH in X Flex (104 gr.) The Raw length is nearly identical to the cut length because they came in 2 inches shorter than all the other Manufactures. So near KBS Tour V cut weight.PX 5.0 non flighted because its in the 110gr. Range PX LZ 5.5 maybe hard stepped just to stay in the 115 gr. Range.Modus 105 S. I´m willing to give them a second try and maybe hardstepp them if it make them a little more stable (feel wise)Nippon 1150GH stiff. Problem could be the cut length would be over 115gr.I'm really intrigued in the 950 X Flex, but it seems like there a not much Information in the Forums about them.

Driver: Taylormade M5 / Diamana W Series 70 stiff
Fairway: Adams Tight Lies TI 18 / Fuji Atmos Black TS 6
Hybrid: Titleist 818 19 / Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB 4-P / KBS Tour V 110 S
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50/54/58 / KBS Tour V 110 S
Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta Tour Issue
Ball: Taylormade TP5

Grips: Gripmaster Kangaroo Sewn Oversize all black.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The three shafts I would try based on your list: Modus 130 R, Tour V R, and Modus 105 X. Tour V and Modus 130 have very similar bend profiles. They also play stiff to flex. R flex in Tour V and Modus 130 will play like stiff flex for most. Modus 105 plays soft to flex and has a fairly neutral/traditional bend profile. An X flex will feel closer to a standard S flex.

You don't have them listed, but I would also try Dynamic Gold 120 and 105 in the S300 flex.

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Thanks for your time. I tried a bunch of the Shafts you listed, but don't want to be to long in my description.

Modus 105 X: Was pretty sure that this would be my Shaft. Its not. I find the X Flex much much stiffer than the S Flex. Tried them against each other. Found that I have to hit it hard to load the X Flex. Complete Opposite to the S Flex.

Modus 130 X: Had them in Callaway Apex MB 18. Feel was good. They launched too high in the Wind and I'm a half club short with them. Again, too much weight.

DG 105 S: Launched very high and distance loss in the short irons.

DG 120 S and X: It´s ok, typical DG Feel (which I like) but I always hit DG high.

So I'm really only interrested in the listed Shafts from the first post.

@SvenS3, beware of letting the search for the perfect to get in the way of the very good (I'm paraphrasing Voltaire).
The Tour V stiff seem to be a good shaft for you according to performance. I played the R-flex version at one time in Nike irons.A suggestion: Keep the Tour V stiff, but have a clubsmith softstep the 4i and 5i, and maybe the 6i. This would soften the flex just a bit and help with smoother launch.
I worry that changing out to a different shaft might be a lot of hassle for minimal performance improvement.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Caution of PX 5.0... Straight-up PX shafts are not picked because you want smooth. A 115-gram PX 5.0 flighted version came in my Callaway X20 Tours. After three seasons, I swapped them out for a lighter NS Pro 8950GH (pretty much same as NS Pro 950). The PX 5.0 was hard to handle on days I wasn't swinging that well.

What's In The Bag (Summary)

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro set 11.5°  ||  Fairways:  Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W or Calla Alpha 815s set 16° and 21°

Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 4H  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3 / 48° and 54°... MD4 / 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)

For details see: WITB_Long.docx

Modus 125 is a smoother version of the dynamic gold, and the super preening blue is even better if you can find them. I'd try the Modus 120 in x before you write them off.

Epic Flash SZ 9° Kuro Kage DC tx
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
Z765 4-G Modus3 125x
SM6 56°/60° Super Peening Blue
Spider X Chalk
Z Star XV

No Safts over 115 Gr. raw length. So no Modus 125 and no Modus 120 X.

Softstepping 4,5,6 is a good idea.

I got the Point with the PX 5.0. Seems like they will be near 5.5 and than they are to boardy.

Anyone hit 950 GH in X flex against 1050 in S or Modus 105 in S ?

I spun up the DG120 pretty good.

I hit XP 115’s and like them a lot, they are very similar to the Dynalite Gold XP

mid launch, mid spin for me.

114 gram in S300

117 gram in X100 I believe.

S300’s are plenty for me and my swing speed with a 7 iron is 94-95 mph