2020 Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Test

because our telepathy is strong, my dude!

Driver: EF SZ Triple Diamond at 6.5* - T1100 6.5 tipped 1.5"
Hybrid: G410 @ 16* - Evenflow Black 85x tipped 1.5”
Ping i500 4i @ 20* - Modus 120tx
Miura MC 501 4-P - Modus 120tx
Bridgestone TourB XW1 50*/55* - X100
Callaway MD 4 raw 60* - S400
Scotty Cameron Catalina Two - original, oil can.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova"]https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova[/url]

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey, if you are in communication with JT, please just let him know we appreciate all he did here and hope things work out! The site is definitely not as good without him here.

so -- due to housekeeping issues i won't get into - GGE is no longer on the site and JT is taking a haitus until things can get resolved; there's a distinct possibility he may not come back.  howev

Deleted

Posted Images

due to the Tropical Storm that hit us yesterday - i didn't get to hit in the sim - (we had power out till about 10pm last night); will do so either today or tomorrow.

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Since the Ventus Black isn't exactly leading the low spin pack, could you tell us how it does as far as accuracy? Is it holding true in reducing off-center twisting for straighter shots? How does the secret proto stack up in that regard? Thanks. I really dig the straightness of my Ventus Black (and the Ventus Blue).

Ventus black is an excellent shaft. Very stable and controlled. It's the best Fujikura shaft I've hit in several years. If it fits you and you like it, you could certainly do a lot worse. As for accuracy, I don't find it any more accurate than most high end shafts but certainly not wild or loose either. I'd call it steady, stable and reliable. There are players who Ventus Black is a perfect fit for, and those individuals may not see any performance difference from changing. If lower spin is what you need or more ball speed from something counterbalanced, yes there are other options that may perform better, but if you don't, it is a great shaft that has no real weakness.

• Like 1

The shaft is basically a developmental proto and the info I've received isn't good. I made assumptions off of casual discussions and I was off base. It's one of those cost no object protos to see what is possible for new technology. I don't think we would be able to get many of these and despite what we initially thought, the cost is going to be prohibitive at this time. There will certainly be a time when the cost comes down and it becomes possible to supply it, but now isn't that time unfortunately. The shaft doesn't even have a name yet, or any graphics on it. We just have to wait out the process, but we do hope to bring it to you guys sometime late 2020 or early in 2021. I really should have waited to include it in testing, but I was so excited with the results that I jumped the gun.

There's plenty of cost is no object golfers, and lot's of 1 percenters out there. Hell, look how many people pony up for PXG or a full bag of regular flex game improvement clubs from Club Champion while sporting a double digit handicap. With this kind of performance, I think I'd gladly commit to skipping the next two new driver head upgrades and keep this shaft and my current head for 5 years.

And they were so worth it...

JBeam Bullet 10*                     Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                    Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD       Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

I certainly understand that sentiment. I guess we just don't want to be accused of gouging customers. We've tried very hard to keep even rare Protos in a price range that matches other high end offerings so they are accessable to everyone. I suppose with a high enough demand we could see if maybe a small lot of these is viable. Our cost would be almost 3 times a Tensei Pro shaft to give some indication of cost, so stocking something like this without pre pay orders just wouldn't happen.

All I was told about it is that the materials make it such that the shaft must be produced in USA because of some of the exotic materials in it being an issue in terms of exporting. I believe that's from a cost perspective. I don't honestly know what it's made out of. I wish I could better tell the story, but I just don't know. Might be uranium based on the cost and nuclear performance. Haha. Kidding obviously.

for the moment some of you have been waiting for -- the thorough review of these.

ok - here's how my testing was done -- over 3 rounds with each PLUS simulator data.

specs:

Taylormade SIM 9* head set neutral both loft and the weight for testing purposes -- i moved it around for each one but i'll mention that below.

shafts (numbered so i don't have to repeat myself 100x below):

1) Aldila RIPx 65TX; tipped 2" playing 44.25"

2) Mitsubishi Tensei white proto 2.0 75TX tipped 1" playing 44.5"

3) Aldila Tour Prototype 1.0 70TX tipped 1" playing 44.5"

Preliminary thoughts:

the looks of these shafts are all relatively similar actually -- sure the weaves are different but - the RIPx looks a bit like the original black mamba xtorsion; the tensei white 2.0 looks exactly like the current tensei white raw and the aldila tour proto 1.0 looks alot like the fujikura pro graphics from a few years ago but silver instead of white. basically, they all look really good, simple and aside from the noting of tour or proto, you'd think they were just an offering off the rack. that is literally the ONLY similarities between these shafts and those predecessors/counterparts mentioned.

Feels:

1) It's a feel i'm used to - it's a tighter black mamba that has virtually no kick, doesn't like going left and feels firm yet supple. yes, i used the word supple. lol

2) this thing is beast yet IMO was extremely responsive and played either a cut or dead straight (more on this to come)

3) i was surprised yet not surprised with this shaft -- i say that only b/c JT gave me a heads up i would like it. IF you fellas have played an XD, XT or even a lighter XTS this shaft is your huckleberry. it has a linear kick to it so you CAN hit draws with it unlike the other two -- thanks to that little release.

Performance (i'll start with discussion in the sim, and then wrap it up with on-course notes):

1) ive used this the most; my average numbers on the sim (using my 10 best drives):

168bs

117ss

2358rpms

14.8* launch

dispersion - 15y right (predominantly plays a cut); diameter circle 35y wide and 14y deep

due to playing this shaft more than the others; you could say i've grown comfortable with it -- but after this test it is evident i need to make a change. on course it plays almost exclusively a cut, could be due to the tipping or could be due to the aspects of the shaft itself. of the 3 shafts, this was actually on course my LEAST accurate shaft. 2) same as above, 10 best drives:

172bs

116ss

1984rpms

12.2* launch

dispersion - 3y right (mostly straight balls with a few cuts thrown in); diameter circle 28y wide and 12y deep

it took a little getting used to b/c i couldn't get the ball up in the std setting -- i actually lofted up 2 clicks and put the weight in the draw setting to get my most consistent results; once it was dialed in i had a VERY hard time hittin the aldila tour proto 1.0...it's addicting. my favorite part about this shaft is spin believe it or not -- some will say it's low but honestly, it goes very straight -- and just a penetrating, extremely flat ball flight. i would honestly game this shaft if i could find one in a 65TX and play it at 45", tipped 1/2"; just b/c i feel like it would launch a touch higher. (PAGING TOLL...if you get one PLEASE let me know!!!) i found the most fairways with this shaft, and also produced some MONSTER drives on course - (eagled 2 par 5's yesterday)3) (ditto):

170bs

117ss

2200rpms

13.4* launch

dispersion - 5y left (plays a draw and a cut; for some reason liked a shape and not necessarily straight?); diameter circle was 30y wide and 20y deep

i had extremely high hopes for this shaft of the 3 b/c i felt like it would be the most playable --and while i thought the kick was awesome at first -- it felt like sometimes it wanted to and sometimes it didn't. i loved the feel of the shaft and to be honest if it was as low spin or as stable as the white, it would be in the bag. i LOVED the feel but for my swing the unpredictability of it just wasn't cutting it. in the wind, this shaft on course for some reason just wanted to eat into it leaving me with "wth?" moments when i saw how far my drive wasn't going. that being said, when downwind it wanted to jump and saw distances similar to the white -- again, the inconsistencies left me feeling like someone who REALLY loves the XD or the XT/XTS would appreciate this as it IS lower spinning than the previous and doesn't have AS MUCH of a kick as those did - ie it's more stable than those.

to close - i want to thank JT for the opportunity to take part in this testing -- i am unfortunately sending these back tomorrow. if anyone has questions about these shafts, comparisons to others that i haven't mentioned or to something else tested previously -- i'm here to help; anyone who knows me knows i don't bs, and certainly have tested the gamut of what's out there.

thank you guys, thanks JT -- Gio out. lol

• Like 1

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

while i know you were directing your question to JT -- i have a friend who has a SIM with a ventus black 7X; playing 44.5"...he is VERY strong -- with a consistent SS over 120; and he and i had very similar thoughts.

the ventus black for us was a left machine -- we had to hold it off to get it to come back. if we let it all out it wanted to kick a little -- and for some that is awesome bc it kicks where they release and for their swing it's predictable. we both agreed that the tensei white 2.0 was the straightest, most stable laser-generator that we've ever hit. he currently plays a tipped hzrdus hulk 75g 6.5TX b/c it limits the left misses.

cheers

On 8/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, gioguy21 said:

while i know you were directing your question to JT -- i have a friend who has a SIM with a ventus black 7X; playing 44.5"...he is VERY strong -- with a consistent SS over 120; and he and i had very similar thoughts.

the ventus black for us was a left machine -- we had to hold it off to get it to come back. if we let it all out it wanted to kick a little -- and for some that is awesome bc it kicks where they release and for their swing it's predictable. we both agreed that the tensei white 2.0 was the straightest, most stable laser-generator that we've ever hit. he currently plays a tipped hzrdus hulk 75g 6.5TX b/c it limits the left misses.

cheers

Great feedback Gio. Thank you.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:18 AM, TollBros said:

I actually did a whole thread on Rogue White TX and the rest of the line. It's under "true game changer". It was included in the test as a control and basis for comparison.

I'm having the hardest time finding this thread....by chance do you have the link for it?  Just purchased one and looking for others feedback.  Will be testing against the av raw orange 75x(not tx) for my mavrik sz.  Can't wait to test them out!

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/Ventus Black 7X/Rogue White 70TX(revolving door still/always in progress)

Taylormade '17 M1 3HL w/ Fubuki Alpha 80X

Srixon U65  4 iron 23* AMT X100

Mizuno MP18 Hifli 5&6 TI X100

Srixon 785's 7-pw TI X100

Cleveland CBX2 48* TI X100

Wilson staff model forged 52, 56, & 60(hi toe) w/ S400's.

Ping Kushin 34"

TP5x

2 hours ago, jgreer1421 said:

I'm having the hardest time finding this thread....by chance do you have the link for it?  Just purchased one and looking for others feedback.  Will be testing against the av raw orange 75x(not tx) for my mavrik sz.  Can't wait to test them out!

As am I. I'm having trouble finding any of our topics. The search doesn't seem to be working properly.

33 minutes ago, TollBros said:

As am I. I'm having trouble finding any of our topics. The search doesn't seem to be working properly.

Good to know I'm not crazy!  Let me know if it surfaces anywhere...

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/Ventus Black 7X/Rogue White 70TX(revolving door still/always in progress)

Ping Kushin 34"

TP5x

13 hours ago, nfreda2211 said:

Thank you!

Ping Kushin 34"

TP5x