How can a true golf club fitting especially for wedges and irons be conducted completely indoors?

How can a true golf club fitting especially for wedges and irons be conducted completely indoors? 

It' my understanding that places like Club Champion and others conduct their fittings completely indoors for wedges and irons? If this is true, how is this possible? Wouldn't turf interaction be a huge part in determining what bounce, lie, sole design would be the best for a golfer especially an amature golfer. I could not imagine a pro getting fit for Irons and wedges completely indoors. If pros do get fit for irons and wedges completely indoors please let me know.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The truth is that most "fittings" are really just chances to hit stuff before you buy it and to associate with it a few launch monitor numbers the validity and usefulness of which are debatable. At t

Swing speed vs shaft flex as the main thing?...its actually no connection between them, its not how fast you swing, but how you swing fast, and since there is no common standard for shaft flex, club s

GolfWRX never seized to amazed me

The truth is that most "fittings" are really just chances to hit stuff before you buy it and to associate with it a few launch monitor numbers the validity and usefulness of which are debatable.

At the risk of sounding pessimistic I think the current popularity of "getting fit" is really more motivated by the fact that people want to spend more money than ever before on their favorite hobby and it's helpful, at least from a sales perspective, to feed their delusion that making purchases can have a constructive effect on their overall ability to play the game and that it's totally alright (even productive) if ones makes continual purchases in a certain "intelligent" way.

That's not to dissuade anyone from using all the tools that are available or to diminish anyone that seeks to find the best equipment for them. But I think there are a lot of "fitters" out there who really don't contribute much of anything to the overall quality of golf that's being played or to the happiness of their clients, and who are really just here to make money off what has become a lucrative business that pushes an increasingly-expensive product with debatable value.

• Like 1

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I just had an iron fitting at True Spec yesterday and it was in a bay that opened up to the range so I could do both. Clubs whose sole grinds didn't work off the mats similarly didn't work on grass. I felt it was pretty consistent. That being said when I do a wedge fitting it will be outdoors. I'd make sure to do one that's primarily around a short game area with sand, rough, different lies, etc. at least for fitting my 60.

G410 LST 10.5 Accra TZ5 65 M5
TS3 15 Fujikura Rombax P95 X
818 H1 19 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105x

T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 56-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
WITB Link

I would find a Demo Day outside or buy a demo iron first before buying the full set.

EFSZ 9*, Tour AD XC 6R

TS2 15*, Tensei AV Blue 65R

0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX-4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, DG S400

Red X2 35”/330g

14th club: 0317 Gen1 17* or Hi-Toe 64* (course dependent)

Tour B RX

- In the testing “lab”: 0811X+ Proto 10.5*; Original One 11.5*; WHP 7CS; MTB-X, TP5x.

- Backups: TS3 9.5*; EFSZ 15*; WHP CSM 400g.

So no looking at AoA, bounce, load, release, lie? Okay, seems like a shitty fit to me then. ?‍♂️

TaylorMade SIM 9º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.0
TaylorMade SIM Max 3-15º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 5-18º | HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-6 (2º weak) | PX 6.0
Mizuno 919 Tour 7-P (2º weak) | PX 6.0
Mizuno T20 52º/4º, 56º/14º, 60º/6º | PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Futura X5w with SuperStroke PistolGT 2.0 CB
Titleist ProV1x 2020
Arccos 360
Titleist StaDry Black/Grey/Orange (2016) / Titleist Midsize Staff jet-black (2020)

I was fit at True Spec using an indoor/outdoor bay and I will say every club felt like garbage and flew the like garbage because they were using last years range ball.(It was March and the club they were at hadn’t replaced yet) I knew they feel of my mizuno’s with range balls and had to go from there and trust the track man for numbers. If you go inside you will at least use a ball you are familiar with and from your warm up build trust in what their equipment is showing you. I will say I was fit into some 785’s and I love them.

Swing speed vs shaft flex as the main thing?...its actually no connection between them, its not how fast you swing, but how you swing fast, and since there is no common standard for shaft flex, club speed vs shaft flex (letters) is a myth.

To the OP, for professional players final testing is always done out door, and its not un-usual that we have to modify something we cant judge indoor, but it should be known for most of you that "fitting" aint a standardized concept, not even close, and what you ask for here is not a offer you will find "anywhere". Even if testing and fitting is done out door, many of them still only uses range balls (and from a range mat), and even if it was from turf, using gamer balls, hardly any of them offer custom grinding of wedges and irons.

The best players often have a special sole grind personal for them, not only on their wedges, but also on their irons, but far from all of them have that, the majority plays a standard option that works.

If your demands is the same as the very best players out there, it will take some time to find that place who can meet your demands, and it will cost way more than most is willing to pay, so it will never be a offer at the local Golf store, its not a marked large enough for that and never will be.

• Like 1