Help me assemble a Bryson like bag

extrastiff

3 hours ago, extrastiff said:

ball above feet, threw a silly rubber mat that did not help with that at all, actually felt like I was about to fall backwards. top it off with some chacos at the end of a long day =very flat, very rushed swing that I cringe to watch.

Oh well. Try again soon if I get time, works crazy so might be a couple days. 56 degree one length mim, x7 shaft. ill post driver swing when I can

FullSizeRender.mov

Wee bit of velocity in that swing.  ?

Thanks for sharing.  

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I feel like I just won lol. Nice one bryson

To loosely quote golf.com, I am valid through validated in Validation.

Sorry I am tired, and thought it was hilarious how their article said that word way too many times.

next up: I Had no idea how loft jacked his irons were, I will be asking my shop to bend mine 3° strong. This should put my five iron at around 230 Carry. Unless wind, I don’t think I will need to find a four iron anymore. I’d love one, but I’m dead set on one length iron builds for the long haul. 

I will also be committing to 45.5 driver for a while. My last try was with an 80 g shaft, and the static weight was too high. Will try my 70g in there, should go well.

I will also be building a 3 wood   With that 80g shaft, turning it down, and having A good old fashion shoot out with my current Threewood on GC quad. I will post those vids. 

• Like 2

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

In celebration, posting another terrible rushed flat off balance swing from the other evening. 5 iron. Excited to Get on the range tomorrow ( end of two week quarantine), replace these videos with some real golf swings

• Like 2

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• 4 weeks later...

Update

-The forged 5 iron is shaky. Not enough clubspeed when I have a bad swing (often). Gonna ditch it.

-regular length p770 4-6 iron will be in bag. 6 iron serves as 5 iron. 5 and 4 iron (basically 4 and 3 iron distances) will be for windy day replacements to 5 and 7 wood/hybrid. 

-constantly choking down on the 62 degree one length.I will be bending it to 57 or 58, and then adding a regular wedge length 62 degree club. 

-Will be bending 56 degree to 53, in order to make space for 62 going to 57

-driver at 45.5 is nice in 70gram. But I may move that to 45 inches, and build a new one at 45.5ish with a 60 gram shaft. After seeing a lot of big hitters do it (Bryson,dj, Cameron?, Rory, and others), I think the reduced static weight won’t hurt my tempo that much. Prob will like it. 

here is a probable witb. More than 14 here, but obviously some game day decisions.

g400 lst 10degree, hzrdus green75

45 inches

or 

g410 lst 10degree(Bryson’s la shaft, Ventus black 6x or whatever Cameron is using)

45-46 inches

G400 13.5, hzrdus green 85

42.75 inches

F9, 16, hzrdus green 95

41 inches 

F8+, 20, m5+ 100

40 inches

Unknown 7 wood/ 4 hybrid, 100g shaft

39.5 inches

p770 4-6,x7
38-39 inches

Forged one length 6-pw,x7

Mim wedges 53, 58, x7

Vokey 62

standard wedge shaft

Futura putter

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

I haven't read the whole post so I apologize if all this has already been said, but if you're looking for his setup:

LA Golf sells the TRONO which is the shaft he uses in his fairway woods and has a slightly modified version in his driver. He uses 60g in his driver too, not the 70g anymore.

I talked with LA Golf and they're soon going to be releasing his Texas Rebar shafts, they're not sure whether they'll release it as a parallel set for single-length clubs that can be butt/tip trimmed for tapered sets, or release it just tapered, or both. They said most likely designed as parallel for different setup trimmings.

Lofts are super jacked throughout the set with an 18* 4-iron and a 42* PW, but he also has very, very little shaft lean at impact. So he's reducing his dynamic loft through static loft bending because he won't get there with shaft lean in his swing.

He uses the chunky Speedzone irons in the 18* and 22* lofts, I'm assuming to help with launch and speed, and then larger CB's in the rest of the bag. Specialty wedges bent super strong as well.

Lie angles aren't insane anymore. 66* lie angle throughout the irons and wedges, woods I'm sure are a little upright too but not much. He still has super straight arms but bends over a lot more now.

You know where to find his putter and can either order it with the LA shaft or order the shaft elsewhere and plug it in.

You can find long drive heads on eBay if you're interested in super low low lofted heads, but they aren't legal for normal tournament play (if that matters at all for you). The lowest other head I know of would be probably grabbing a Taylormade 8* head that has a true loft under 8* and then using the loft sleeve to go -2* in loft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I haven't read the whole post so I apologize if all this has already been said, but if you're looking for his setup:

LA Golf sells the TRONO which is the shaft he uses in his fairway woods and has a slightly modified version in his driver. He uses 60g in his driver too, not the 70g anymore.

I talked with LA Golf and they're soon going to be releasing his Texas Rebar shafts, they're not sure whether they'll release it as a parallel set for single-length clubs that can be butt/tip trimmed for tapered sets, or release it just tapered, or both. They said most likely designed as parallel for different setup trimmings.

Lofts are super jacked throughout the set with an 18* 4-iron and a 42* PW, but he also has very, very little shaft lean at impact. So he's reducing his dynamic loft through static loft bending because he won't get there with shaft lean in his swing.

He uses the chunky Speedzone irons in the 18* and 22* lofts, I'm assuming to help with launch and speed, and then larger CB's in the rest of the bag. Specialty wedges bent super strong as well.

Lie angles aren't insane anymore. 66* lie angle throughout the irons and wedges, woods I'm sure are a little upright too but not much. He still has super straight arms but bends over a lot more now.

You know where to find his putter and can either order it with the LA shaft or order the shaft elsewhere and plug it in.

You can find long drive heads on eBay if you're interested in super low low lofted heads, but they aren't legal for normal tournament play (if that matters at all for you). The lowest other head I know of would be probably grabbing a Taylormade 8* head that has a true loft under 8* and then using the loft sleeve to go -2* in loft.

10 hours ago, b.helts said:

The 5* Callaway XR LD drivers are conforming. 

-Tried the Callaway xr ld per your suggestion bhelts . Great every few swings, but much more consistent results taking the Cameron/dj approach ( low tee, normal ball position, squeeze ball strait). So sticking with downswing with higher loft for now. No, not gonna have many 350+ bombs with that approach, but my Mishits with that Callaway was costing me a lot of expensive golf balls lol. I’m happy with the driver setup. Definitely gonna try a 60 gram shaft in the next build. 

-pretty cool la golf releasing rebar soon. Will be getting a set if not super expensive. 

-are you sure he uses speed zone? I thought he used king utility clubs, based on all his witb’s. This is why I don’t have a 4 and 5 utility,cause they are .370 instead of .355 (x7 shafts only come in .355). 

-definitely gonna Jack my iron lofts once I get close to a reputable shop

14 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

After a bit more research  “Note: There are two versions of the prototype shaft. One is called “Trono,” which DeChambeau uses in his fairway woods, and another called “MRDR 1,” which has the same design but is slightly stiffer and has lower torque, that he uses in his driver.”

So Illprobably steer clear unless I can get my hands on the Mrdr 1

Update 

-regular length 62 degree is a success, better touch on hard pitch shots

-taking driver to 45 inches. I like 45.5, but feels heAvy after ten or twenty swings. 45.5 build with 60x shaft in the works for sure, but build this 75g to 45. 

-regular length 6 and 5 iron are making the cut. Jacking lofts strong two degrees on those when I get the chance, but happy with them. No need for a 4 hybrid or 7 wood. 

-ditching the “4” wood. With the three additional irons, at 14 clubs. 

-bag is set with 14 tourney ready gap numbers. 

final witb:

g400 lst, hzrdus green 75

45 inches

G400 13.5, hzrdus green 85

42.75 inches

F8+ 17.5, hzrdus green 95

41 inches 

P770 5 iron,x7

38.5 inches, 23.5 loft

P770 6 iron,x7

38 inches, 27 loft

Forged one length 6-pw,x7

37.5 inches, 27-45

Mim wedges 53, 58, x7

Vokey 62

35 inches

Futura 

• Like 1

I love that you're still on this.  <tip cap>

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

23 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I love that you're still on this.  <tip cap>

I’m close I swear lol. 

just ordered hzrdus green 60 tx. Going with 45.75 build to start, cut it down as needed. my favorite players (dj cam Bryson tiger Tony) are using 65gram shafts, so I feel like part of the cool kids club now. 

then I am not touching the bag until I do a full gapping. Pretty sure it’s set until my body changes honestly. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, extrastiff said:

I’m close I swear lol. 

just ordered hzrdus green 60 tx. Going with 45.75 build to start, cut it down as needed. my favorite players (dj cam Bryson tiger Tony) are using 65gram shafts, so I feel like part of the cool kids club now. 

then I am not touching the bag until I do a full gapping. Pretty sure it’s set until my body changes honestly. 

Update:

-irons are built to be 35.2 to 35.5 inches so on the shorter 7 iron side. Working really well

-58 degree wedge is .4 inches shorter than set, and couple grams lead tape to even it up.  
-went with the trono 60tx instead of hzrdus smoke green. 
-slightly longer 6 and 5 iron working great, put x7 wedge shafts in there (extended), and really liking The feel. 

3 wood-lw is completely set. Once I have the driver built I’ll post some videos 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wondering if anyone has an opinion on this post, Though I think at this point this thread is an echo chamber and maybe I will post it in the tech forum. ..

The post:

I’m going to test how close my speeds are to Brysons in the next couple of days when I find warm weather, but I think Im up there when i twirl around like a madman in the follow-though. I was messing around with regular length clubs, mostly the regular length 64 degree I have in the bag rn. I don’t think we 7-iron as much harder than the 64 to swing, but it is slightly. I have test dispersion on launch monitor, but My understanding of the general Golf communities opinion on it is that the shorter the club, the easier it is to swing. Unless you’re physically unable  (tall, injured, etc) to athletically swing a short club. 

what if I tried a build at nine iron length? Or wedge length?wedge sound uncomfortable a bit so maybe 9.  

If Bryson (and hopefully myself) can swing a 9 iron at high speeds, It would make sense that you could pick apart a course with super tight, wedge-like dispersion through the iron set. 

Also say the forged six iron one Length club goes 230 on average for him, 7 iron length. If he were swinging 9 iron length, he’d lose what, 15-25 yards? Slightly lower flight?  

anyways considering his driving average is 323, and he can hit irons up to 285 on average, it seems like he wouldn’t really be increasing his gaps so much that it hurts his game on the top end of the bag, But might be able to tighten up dispersion on the irons if they were shorter. And they would subsequently be stiffer.  

opinions? Either way, I’m going to build a forged one length six iron at nine iron length, add lead tape and post the carnage here. 

You are a legend for trying this but i think Im going to take the opposite approach and add small loft and length changes and go from there. Even with swinging 120 with driver i don't think I would be able to get enough launch with a driver less than 7.5 or so, I would probably be hitting it knee high to a grasshopper . I'm 6'1, 190, 5 hcp and ive been in the gym a lot lately. But Bryson is on a whole different level which is why to my knowledge i dont see any other pros making dramatic changes to their body or clubs. Anything more than X-flex would make me uncomfortable, I tried a TX driver and it felt like a telephone pole compared to my X.   

• Like 1

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

11 hours ago, extrastiff said:

wondering if anyone has an opinion on this post, Though I think at this point this thread is an echo chamber and maybe I will post it in the tech forum. ..

The post:

I’m going to test how close my speeds are to Brysons in the next couple of days when I find warm weather, but I think Im up there when i twirl around like a madman in the follow-though. I was messing around with regular length clubs, mostly the regular length 64 degree I have in the bag rn. I don’t think we 7-iron as much harder than the 64 to swing, but it is slightly. I have test dispersion on launch monitor, but My understanding of the general Golf communities opinion on it is that the shorter the club, the easier it is to swing. Unless you’re physically unable  (tall, injured, etc) to athletically swing a short club. 

what if I tried a build at nine iron length? Or wedge length?wedge sound uncomfortable a bit so maybe 9.  

If Bryson (and hopefully myself) can swing a 9 iron at high speeds, It would make sense that you could pick apart a course with super tight, wedge-like dispersion through the iron set. 

Also say the forged six iron one Length club goes 230 on average for him, 7 iron length. If he were swinging 9 iron length, he’d lose what, 15-25 yards? Slightly lower flight?  

anyways considering his driving average is 323, and he can hit irons up to 285 on average, it seems like he wouldn’t really be increasing his gaps so much that it hurts his game on the top end of the bag, But might be able to tighten up dispersion on the irons if they were shorter. And they would subsequently be stiffer.  

opinions? Either way, I’m going to build a forged one length six iron at nine iron length, add lead tape and post the carnage here. 

Why yes, I think I do have an opinion.  LOL

I'm not fond of the idea of using 9 iron length.  Think it's a bit to short, and unless you're a super high trajectory player, I would think you could have issues with the longer irons.

I wonder if you might be a candidate for the dual length concept?  6 iron and shorter clubs at 8 iron length, 5 iron and longer at 5 iron length.  Just a thought.

Or a couple of thoughts, LOL

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Why yes, I think I do have an opinion.  LOL

I'm not fond of the idea of using 9 iron length.  Think it's a bit to short, and unless you're a super high trajectory player, I would think you could have issues with the longer irons.

I wonder if you might be a candidate for the dual length concept?  6 iron and shorter clubs at 8 iron length, 5 iron and longer at 5 iron length.  Just a thought.

Or a couple of thoughts, LOL

Oh I already do that, 2-5 iron is variable length. I’m super happy with the set, just brainstorming now.

im talking about 6 iron to lob wedge. Seems like at high swing speeds, should not be a problem. I mean I watched the guy hit a 300 yard 4 iron, a 260 yard 6 iron. Not at all necessary lol

Edited by extrastiff

3 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Oh I already do that, 2-5 iron is variable length. I’m super happy with the set, just brainstorming now.

im talking about 6 iron to lob wedge. Seems like at high swing speeds, should not be a problem. I mean I watched the guy hit a 300 yard 4 iron, a 260 yard 6 iron. Not at all necessary lol

I would look to split the difference in that case, but that's just me.  That would be 8i length in my book.

You could try the 6i at 9i length, see what happens.  I think you need it on course, though, not just range or monitor.  I feel it's important to see how it plays.

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I would look to split the difference in that case, but that's just me.  That would be 8i length in my book.

You could try the 6i at 9i length, see what happens.  I think you need it on course, though, not just range or monitor.  I feel it's important to see how it plays.

For sure splitting is logical, but I’m pretty curious on taking it extreme, and 12 g of lead tape is about as extreme as I’m going to go rn. 

I’ll def try on course and get on video

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 8:26 AM, NRJyzr said:

So I maxed out my 6 iron (37.3 length) at 190ish carry. That’s with range balls, so gotta think 195ish is what I’m getting with that club. These are good balanced swings. And I just had the lofts jacked 2 strong. Flight is awesome. 

this has me thinking that 9 iron length will be difficult for the 6 iron without mishits looking very similar to a 8 iron mishit ( short lol).  Coupled with further thought on trying to make 12 grams of tape on each club feel decent....

I think u were right. Splitting the difference makes sense:) I’ll try building it today

that being said, update:

-jacked the lofts, stronger awesome change in flight, negligible spin loss. Pw=150yrd carry, 6iron=190

-ordered a p790 5 iron. Gonna build variable length. 

-playing 56 degree at 53 working really well. 125 perfect carry. Learning a potching wedge 125 shot for windy days Is now imperative. 

-ordered a tm m1 driver and another lagolf trono shaft. Gonna build out the longest driver I can safely build.

47.5 is ok but 48 is the goal. 

-45.75 inch lagolf/g400 max(8 degree) combo has been so good. 300 carry on my balaced swings, 320 on my pirouettes 

-witb:

-g400/trono (45.75)

-g400 13 /hzrdus grn 85 (42.5)

-g410 16.5/Fuji pro 2.0 93 (41.7)

-f8+ 20/hzrdus grn 95(41)

-gapr lo 17/tensei white 100 (40.2)

-P790 3,4,5/x7 (standard lengths, 3 iron 1/3 inch short, with lead tape)

-Forged one length 6-pw/x7 (37.3)

-mim 53, 58/x7 (37.3)

-hi toe 64/ wedge flex (standard wedge length I dunno)
-putter

On course gcquad video coming soon!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 8:26 AM, NRJyzr said:

So in all the rabbit hole chasing, I forgot that I like my swingweight heavy. I put lead 4g tape throughout the set.....

Longer, prettier swing in balance center face. Added 10 yards. 

driver is carrying 320. I actually added more than 4 to the driver to compensate for some initially inaccurate math. Irons are straight bombs. I know those claims require proof, i am going to get on that tomorrow. 

I doubt I will build a set at 8 iron length even though it actually sounds super appealing the more I think about it. The fact that I would have to put on 6 g of lead tape on top of the four already there is a bit much. But I will still move forward with testing the six iron at eight iron length

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

867DECF7-D9B4-48BA-922F-7EF5A81CCBB9.pngJust terrible

Edited by extrastiff

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

867DECF7-D9B4-48BA-922F-7EF5A81CCBB9.pngJust terrible

The golf gods are undoubtedly pleased with your use of lead tape, their gift to us.  🙂

• Haha 1

Six iron at 8 iron length

Edited by extrastiff

Six iron at 7 iron length

Edited by extrastiff

My excuses:

-range was 300 yards long and the staff member was watching me hit, so I really could not go all out without looking like a tool. He looked a little annoyed with the ones I hit 300

-mats are not wide enough for the way I like to swing 

-range balls would not push over 170 ballspeed

-I left my protein powder at home

ok now that we got that covered...

On 11/6/2020 at 8:16 PM, NRJyzr said:

The golf gods are undoubtedly pleased with your use of lead tape, their gift to us.  🙂

Then they will love this... as you can tell from the above videos, the shorter six iron with extra head weight is amazing, you can see how much longer my swing was with it, leading to better numbers, as well as the feel off the face was incredible. 

3CF2FDB4-D301-44CF-AEC4-6AA24F0C972B.jpeg

I would say you've found your sweet spot.  

A good example of why we do some of these things, right?  Or maybe it's just the Favor bestowed upon you by the golf gods.  🙂

I'm also feeling a bit old watching those, LOL.  Father Time.  😉

I'm enjoying this journey.  This is awesome stuff.  <tip cap>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 7:37 AM, jons1 said:

On the golf courses most people play... all you need is a 5 degree driver and a putter. OH, and 200mph ball speed.

Bryson's wedge game sucks by tour standards, and it's because they are all 5 irons. The concept makes sense in theory, but in reality the one length iron setup does more harm than good.

The irony is the longer he hits the ball, the more wedges he's hitting. Perhaps he will learn to master those shovels in the end.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to copy anything from his bag.

Bryson's wedge game "sucks by tour standards" because all they measure is proximity to the hole.  He hits it so far that he has way more wedge shots out of awful lies than anybody else.  He's in the top third in strokes gained from the fairway inside 125.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Thanks 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

2 hours ago, JDMRN81 said:

Hitting bombs, brother! 

A little confused with the first two videos though. First one is 6i at 8i length and you’re getting more distance and spin out of that vs second video with 6i at 7i length. I’m assuming that was a typo there?

Thanks! 
no typo, just surprising results for sure!

I kinda theorized this potential in a couple earlier posts, but I had no idea how much my swing would benefit from the shorter length. It was a longer swing (and probably a more aggressive follow-thru due to the “heavy” feeling of the club head), therefore more club head speed. Add in the fact that the club head has more mass (I added 6 grams extra lead tape to it to compensate for the .5 inch shorter build), and I think that adequately explains the extra ball speed/distance. 

This is with more loft, also! It will be bent two degrees strong to match the other (7 iron length) 6 iron, carry should go up 5 or ten yards.

I would not take the numbers too seriously tho, these are terrible terrible range balls, off of a mat. I have found spin and carry numbers to be significantly lower/inconsistent with this type of setup. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 2