Help me assemble a Bryson like bag

extrastiff

On 12/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, extrastiff said:

If this post gets 3 likes (high bar, I know), I’ll post video of me hitting a driver on gcquad with a real golf ball.  

this is truely the last update post, I might take this show on the road 

Update: 

-back to standard length driver lol.

-finally got another pw and bent it to be a gap wedge

-added the one length forged 5 iron. It’s fun to hit, but may opt for a p790 once I build the one I ordered. Loosing a couple mph ball speed on mishits is penalizing at 215 yards. I need to do a shootout with the two. But I think I want a few more yards out of it. 

-lengthened all one lengths to 37.75

-I just learned a move to help get my hands as high as I want them, so these numbers may jump up in a week. 

current witb and numbers on solid shots. Need to do a real gapping

-Sim max 8.5 degree 45.5 inches trono 65x untipped

315 carry, 325+ total average. 

Big tour speed zone 12, trono65 tx tipped 2 inches

43.7 inches

288 carry, 300+ total

G400 15.5, hzrdus green 85 txtipped 1.5, 42.75 inches

275 carry,285total

F8+ 19, hzrdus green 95tx tipped 1.5, 41 inches 

265 carry, 275 total

F8 22.5, tz5 m5 100tx tipped .5

41 inches

250 carry, 255 total

gapr lo 17 degree, tensei white tx untipped 39.5 inches

265 carry, total is super dependent on conditions.

P790 4 iron,x7

240 carry, rollout depends on launch, conditions, etc

Forged one length 5-gw,x7

37.75 inches

5 iron goes 220, gap wedge goes 150. No rollout on either when hit well. 

Mim wedges 55, 60, x7

55 goes 125, 60 goes 115. 

i assemble the top of the bag based on the course layout. Unless windy, dry, or super narrow, 2 iron stays at home, and usually ditch 2 of the fairway woods (whichever don’t fit the course best) to get to 14

Ok 3 likes. I owe y’all video. Putter video, 8 iron, 4 iron ,and driver. Been improving a lot, should be decent numbers. 

updates:

-sik putter on point. 46 inches, grip is not square, it’s rotated a bit to help square shoulders. Working well for me.

-all irons a pw length. D4. Money bag

-cobra radspeed driver, 3, 5, 7. Sweet clubs, infinity face has me swinging like a crazy person. No sky marks? Yes please. 

-7 iron length one length utility 22.5, turned down to 21. Money on windy days. 

-hi toe normal length wedges, s400, 54, 62. No gap wedge. Call me dustin. 

-all standard lofts on forged irons, 64 lie. Pw is a couple weak cause no gw. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 3

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Any update here?

• Thanks 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

15 hours ago, doc52 said:

Any update here?

many. Dunno where I left off but I’ll let you know what’s going on now

Irons (all at d4, wedges at d6. Jumbomax ultra lite xl grips, 2 wraps)

-3 iron is a cobra one length utility iron at 7 iron (standard)length. Tensei white 100tx. I love it. Use it on windy days cause it comes out a little low, but it may end up in bag permanently down the line Because of how easy it is to hit. 

-4 and 5 are cobra ol utility also. They are at pitching wedge length. Mmt 105tx shafts. Very forgiving, it definitely makes me want to one-day build out an entire set with the MMT shaft. 4 iron uses a 7-iron shaft flex-profile for a bit more launch,  5 iron uses a wedge flex, but Dunno if that matters. 

-6 iron thru 9 iron are the forged one length, x100 onyx wedge shafts, all at pw length.

-pw thru sw are standard wedge length vokey sm8 black, with x100 onyx shafts 

-lw is vokey black sm8, s400 onyx. Standard length 

That’s the current bag. I have radspeed one length irons in X7 wedge shafts as a backup set, I really love those too, but I have not done enough testing with them. I assume spin is pretty low. I think radspeed with MMT would be a perfect club still,But would only make it into competition if I knew they could hold the green after a few weeks of testing. Been so busy that may not be for a few months. 

Driver (60g), Threewood (80), Fivewood (90g) All rad speed withhzrdus smoke green tx. Driver is a little short, so is Threewood, five wood a standard I think. Playing around with lofts, Need to do a gapping/lesson combo to dial. 

Putter is the new cobra Agera armlock. I have it extended an inch or two,And cut the grip down and added a flat super stock on top. Very cool putter. 

I’ll post pics of the bag when I get a chance. 

Have taken many lessons, and I found a very good instructor that got me keeping my right shoulder down through impact, and my knees less active/bent. Consistency and ball striking are the best they’ve ever been. 

I need to get yardages and lofts dialed But otherwise the bag is set. 

The reason I actually care about getting it dialed is because I have my first tournament of the year this month         

• Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

oh yea and my favorite addition to the bag, custom tempowhip. Tell Bryson to holla at me 

C0B8F5A8-AD38-4517-B9B0-56CDF5CF4030.jpeg

DB2F8C01-F3BE-4C50-B389-B85762AE6A11.jpeg

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Good stuff and good luck in the tournament. Has LAGP still not released the Texas rebar shafts?

Edited by doc52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doc52 said:

Good stuff and good luck in the tournament. Has LAGP still not released the Texas rebar shafts?

Thanks! It’s my first three day tournament, pretty stoked. 

And no, for some reason LAGP hates my money. But honestly at 113 g, the MMT is close,And definitely is awesome enough that I doubt it can be beat Unless spin preferences. Rebar missed the boat I would think

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doc52 said:

I've been waiting on them to release the Texas rebar shafts for over a year now.  They are notorious for producing many proto shafts for the pros ever since the days of Matrix.  I've been lucky to know a couple guys who have connections and have gotten Matrix proto shafts over the years.  They still can't get their hands on the Texas rebar shafts though.  What a shame. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

19 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I've been waiting on them to release the Texas rebar shafts for over a year now.  They are notorious for producing many proto shafts for the pros ever since the days of Matrix.  I've been lucky to know a couple guys who have connections and have gotten Matrix proto shafts over the years.  They still can't get their hands on the Texas rebar shafts though.  What a shame. 

The fact that cobra have not released new blade one length and lagp haven’t released rebar makes me think it’s a Bryson thing. All These clubs are so fun to hit, he might actually want to protect the proprietary nature of his clubs. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

The fact that cobra have not released new blade one length and lagp haven’t released rebar makes me think it’s a Bryson thing. All These clubs are so fun to hit, he might actually want to protect the proprietary nature of his clubs. 

If they released the clubs he played this year with rebars I would purchase. Probably wouldn’t make them in LH though…

43 minutes ago, adamnbomb said:

Don't forget the hat. It adds 10 mph ball speed

Less drag.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

6 hours ago, lefthack said:

Less drag.

I May create a league that allows players to come out dressed up like Tekken characters, And I will incentivize them getting absolutely shredded. 

there will be testing of course

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, capking said:

Now that’s commitment haha, has your dispersion improved with the cobra switch? I haven’t read this thread for awhile my apologies if I didn’t see it if previously addressed.

significantly tighter dispersion with one length, and even more so when I went down to Pitching wedge length. so easy to find center of face

in my opinion, nine iron length radspeed (because I assume it has the fastest ball speeds, but any one length club with fastball speed would work) with shaft flex that fits, 6 iron to sw, is a perfect set for any  low-to-average speed player. 

pw length for long hitters. If I were a long hitter that was less than 6 foot tall, I’d go sand wedge length with irons. 5 iron up to driver could be fairway woods for a shorter hitter. I would leave wedges at standard length because swingweight, but if I were a lower speed player that was obsessed with the perfect set, I would find one length wedges and add weight, or drill some weight out of a standard wedge, so that I could get them to nine iron Length.  the little extra speed and consistency couldn’t hurt them, and could always grip down half inch more on chips no problem. 

I will state that lie angle adjustments are not really possible on the non-forged cobras I assume, so that may have an effect.  I have not tested extensively 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

completely redid putter so I thought I’d post.  I sanded down the middle section so that it matched the brushed steel around the edges, Glued 20g of tip weights onto the back (which actually added toe hang, so it is about 15° of to hang now) and painted that black, and then added a jumbo max armlock grip rotated a few degrees. It’s a weapon now, the weight combined with a new technique has virtually eliminated three putts. 

tournament was awesome, I didn’t shoot my best but it definitely expose my weaknesses, and because it was a three day tournament I was able to work through them by the last nine holes.  huge progress was made, and now I am playing well at my local courses. 

Here are a couple pictures of the putter, I’ll post pictures and video of everything in the next week or two. Coach has me shaping the ball since the tourney and hitting highest ball speeds ever so some good stuff coming

6482C4B6-0A9C-40F7-BE87-E11D9DBDD2A7.png

FEDC974B-2870-4723-B741-AB166F545136.jpeg

D8B94AD4-7009-42AF-808C-21D52A6C66DD.jpeg

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Another quick update. 

I implemented the foot action Bryson uses(lift left heel, etc), hand path and hand height he achieves (at least my subjective interpretation) As well as the posture he kind of approaches with, and I felt a significant increase in my swingspeed. I have to get on a device to measure it, but I’ll bet whoever that I can exceed 130 clubhead, 185 ball speed now. 

proof coming soon I hope

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

Another quick update. 

I implemented the foot action Bryson uses(lift left heel, etc), hand path and hand height he achieves (at least my subjective interpretation) As well as the posture he kind of approaches with, and I felt a significant increase in my swingspeed. I have to get on a device to measure it, but I’ll bet whoever that I can exceed 130 clubhead, 185 ball speed now. 

proof coming soon I hope

I believe it, being a former baseball player, it reminds me of the footwork of a baseball swing. I tend to lift my front heel similar to Bryson when I try to max out by habit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doctorgolf said:

Would be interested to see pictures of a current WITB

Ok pics tomorrow no problem

6 hours ago, doc52 said:

I believe it, being a former baseball player, it reminds me of the footwork of a baseball swing. I tend to lift my front heel similar to Bryson when I try to max out by habit.

For sure,Just doing some mirror work, it’s pretty clear that I am able to rotate my hips more While allowing more stability in my head and shoulders with the heel lift, as well as it makes a really cool timing dynamic, Pretty much forcing a clear smooth transition at the top of the swing in order to get the heel back down

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, NRJyzr said:

This comes with apologies if you've stated this before and I'm just not remembering.  Or too lazy to go back and find it.  🙂

@extrastiff, wondering how tall you are, and what your wrist to floor measurement is?  My curiosity stems, in part, from the travels of OsnolaKinard as he moved to the single length world; he's a taller than average dude.  There seems a bit of a connection with height and the single length thing, at least with respect to the short irons.

FYI I'm in this boat. I'm 6'5" with about a 39.5-40" WTF. 

My old set the shortest club in my bag was my SW, as everything was extended 1.5" so my SW was (36.5"). Basically 8i length. When I was looking at new clubs I demo'd some Sub70 irons and the demos were only available in standard length, so the 9i was only 36", and felt like a child's toy. 

From that I determined that there was no way I could handle standard length in the short irons. This is where it really gets difficult for tall people because those clubs are too short to appropriately swing and maintain posture, athleticism, etc. 

But that left me with a problem. My 3i was 40.5" long... Damn near unhittable for me. (Note: that says a lot more about my skill than the clubs, but either way the length was too long in the long irons). 

So I had to make a choice; traditional variable length irons but doing something unique with the gapping to keep the short irons longer than standard while not extending the long irons to unhittable lengths... Or single-length. 

The issue with reduced gapping becomes swing weight; it will be inconsistent throughout the set. Clubs with head mass built for 0.5" gaps will have ascending swing weight as you move from the low-lofted clubs to the wedges. 

So I went single-length. That also gives me the advantage of one setup, one ball position, one swing, etc. I don't have to adjust any of that based on the club. Which again, given my limited skill, is one less variable (pun intended) for me to cover.

I'm still trying to work it out, though... I seem to have compressed 10y gaps between each club, and the low-loft end of my bag I'm having trouble reaching distances. My 3i previously used to be my 225 club at 40.5" (when I hit it well) whereas my 4h (lower loft than that 3i) at 37.5" is now my 200 club. I'm sure that's mostly due to reduced clubhead speed from a 3" shorter length. 

I'm trying to decide whether to simply let it be, or to look at something like extending 4h by 1", 5i by 0.75", 6i by 0.5", and 7i by 0.25" to help widen those yardage gaps. I realize it isn't actually "single length" if I do that, but those gaps shouldn't screw me up too much. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

22 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

FYI I'm in this boat. I'm 6'5" with about a 39.5-40" WTF. 

My old set the shortest club in my bag was my SW, as everything was extended 1.5" so my SW was (36.5"). Basically 8i length. When I was looking at new clubs I demo'd some Sub70 irons and the demos were only available in standard length, so the 9i was only 36", and felt like a child's toy. 

From that I determined that there was no way I could handle standard length in the short irons. This is where it really gets difficult for tall people because those clubs are too short to appropriately swing and maintain posture, athleticism, etc. 

But that left me with a problem. My 3i was 40.5" long... Damn near unhittable for me. (Note: that says a lot more about my skill than the clubs, but either way the length was too long in the long irons). 

So I had to make a choice; traditional variable length irons but doing something unique with the gapping to keep the short irons longer than standard while not extending the long irons to unhittable lengths... Or single-length. 

The issue with reduced gapping becomes swing weight; it will be inconsistent throughout the set. Clubs with head mass built for 0.5" gaps will have ascending swing weight as you move from the low-lofted clubs to the wedges. 

So I went single-length. That also gives me the advantage of one setup, one ball position, one swing, etc. I don't have to adjust any of that based on the club. Which again, given my limited skill, is one less variable (pun intended) for me to cover.

I'm still trying to work it out, though... I seem to have compressed 10y gaps between each club, and the low-loft end of my bag I'm having trouble reaching distances. My 3i previously used to be my 225 club at 40.5" (when I hit it well) whereas my 4h (lower loft than that 3i) at 37.5" is now my 200 club. I'm sure that's mostly due to reduced clubhead speed from a 3" shorter length. 

I'm trying to decide whether to simply let it be, or to look at something like extending 4h by 1", 5i by 0.75", 6i by 0.5", and 7i by 0.25" to help widen those yardage gaps. I realize it isn't actually "single length" if I do that, but those gaps shouldn't screw me up too much. 

Personally, ten yard gaps is not bad. But I would look into a five wood. I could hook mine 265, Or hit a soft Spinney fade to 215. So if you Don’t have space/desire for that, definitely would just lengthen the four hybrid, maybe loft it down a tiny bit, and learn how to take some off of that swing. Or drop gap wedge, take sand wedge down to 53 degree, and add a 3hy/5wood. 

CC193843-4C80-4EA0-A0A0-50956114F7C0.jpeg

9AF7E96D-7EC1-4ADF-8461-400C0A627DEB.jpeg

2BC65793-907D-4089-99EF-2350389DC936.jpeg

AECCE8FA-B766-40AF-8FA3-7E364F3C9411.jpeg

737D8DD6-F7D8-43F1-9CC2-52550B38840D.jpeg

578A1504-48E5-4F27-BA34-6C0AC6CEE6C8.jpeg

7972E08D-E065-418F-AD76-84E491FDAE72.jpeg

64D57755-46C7-4B4F-A42F-2AEFA8241669.jpeg

3E461B9F-E145-4306-87C6-CB807A45477A.jpeg

• Like 1

CA45E5E4-0FAE-4CBA-8A2B-02A64011B881.jpeg

20F7C4B7-1AB9-4828-BB5E-54182A8E38B6.jpeg

CC43B22A-448B-4E65-8141-A4F5FA7E7935.jpeg

0E169C17-D4A0-4347-836F-FA2137DE4BFB.jpeg

5F8D690A-11A8-41B9-AC69-1EED1288F30E.jpeg

06884854-955C-4250-8791-B8C188A7B596.jpeg

B4A1765A-436F-4E9C-AFDF-08A28690E893.jpeg

17B6B676-87EF-471E-96B0-47F2957E205D.jpeg

• Like 1

890D54DE-45F8-4812-A432-E58AB3FDA936.png.88958eb42f5f3a38a2b4558907a3f171.png1FF42565-D8EC-4551-B9E2-FB072E4C75AC.png.6232fe8c72ba77699eb60996ab08353d.png

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’m back! Cant believe it’s been a year and a half

lots of improvement in the game. I will post video and gcquad numbers in the next few days as I gear up for tournament season. 

Bag makeup is very similar, except the driver is now the cobra Ltd. I will probably be trying to find a Aerojet LS in the next week or two. I have tried different clubs, including variable length, and always come back to the OL forged set.

One Pretty significant change is I am no longer using the jumbo Max Grips.It was a good run, But I think my short game is much better with thin grips, And I definitely do not have the time to grind playing with two different types of grips in the same set. 

I will be reaching out to ping to see if they can build me a set similar to Brysons. I’ll post updates here, as well as the video and numbers

• Like 4

13 hours ago, extrastiff said:

I’m back! Cant believe it’s been a year and a half

lots of improvement in the game. I will post video and gcquad numbers in the next few days as I gear up for tournament season. 

Bag makeup is very similar, except the driver is now the cobra Ltd. I will probably be trying to find a Aerojet LS in the next week or two. I have tried different clubs, including variable length, and always come back to the OL forged set.

One Pretty significant change is I am no longer using the jumbo Max Grips.It was a good run, But I think my short game is much better with thin grips, And I definitely do not have the time to grind playing with two different types of grips in the same set. 

I will be reaching out to ping to see if they can build me a set similar to Brysons. I’ll post updates here, as well as the video and numbers

I thought of your driver setup when Bryson switched to the hazardous late last year. I have been eyeing the i210s as well. My friend recently put them in the bag and loves them.