Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)

On 7/7/2020 at 8:16 PM, Myherobobhope said:

image.pngThis is the hole I want t

o break... it’s 302 carry to a mediocre lie and the big tree on the corner is not shown... 120 with +5 aoa will get me to the top of the hill, I hope...

Former Louisville Guy here - what hole is this ? lol 

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

5 hours ago, benthegolfer said:

Former Louisville Guy here - what hole is this ? lol 

Hole 6 at Hunting Creek. Give me a shout if you are back in town and you can see it for real.

Terrible hole.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

5 hours ago, AdamMH said:

297 carry? Cmon now. I haven't really been following along, but that's gotta be pretty darn close to 120!

I've hit 121 with a club already... just a question of putting it in play... I'd assume the 297 carry was in the high teens. It was a good move on the ball... the next step is to get into that range consistently!

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

28 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Hole 6 at Hunting Creek. Give me a shout if you are back in town and you can see it for real.

Terrible hole.

A beast! Haven’t played there in awhile. Will do 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6X

Titleist TSi3 15 Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75X   

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

• 4 weeks later...

Im going to dumb this down. As someone who trains athletes for a living, for golf!!!! This comment is for golf, let me again say that, this is for golf. I would stay away from Olympic style lifts and any real multi joint barbell compound movement. Absolutely do not clean, jerk, deadlift barbell squat etc. The goal for lifting should be to train the individual muscles (isolated) while minimizing risk for any injury, excessive fatigue and lengthening the muscles, not shortening them. Not putting more wear and tear into your body. Eddie hall and science  also supports this, if you’re not going to compete in deadlifts don’t do it. Power cleans etc have a place, for football, not golf.   I have deadlifted 750, squatted 675 and benched 500. You need to forget what you know and relearn to workout for golf.  You being a bigger guy your range of motion is already limited, putting more muscle on will only limit that further. Lifting for power isn’t the way to go for golf. I would suggest you do the following first,  the biggest focus should be for you 1. losing weight, like actual body fat, you can maintain mass your have, just lose fat.2. improving mobility. Stretching, learn the difference between the types of stretches and when to utilize them and increase mobility, range of motion etc. 3. core. You should be doing a ton of rotation /anti rotation core exercises. You can train these 4 times a week as long as you don’t go all Ali style and say I don’t start counting til I’m in pain. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, chadly643 said:

Sure… but 95+% of us don’t have the strength and power level you do even a couple years removed from active lifting. 

This is the reason no one posts on here. Bc everyone just contradicts. So, you know who else never lifted as much as me? Everyone on the tour. But let’s look at a few examples

Neither does Justin Thomas, cam

champ, Patrick cantlay etc: etc etc, and they still hit bombs. Why? Why does cam champ and these other guys hit missiles? They weigh 150 pounds! Explain it to me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adamwittman said:

This is the reason no one posts on here. Bc everyone just contradicts. So, you know who else never lifted as much as me? Everyone on the tour. But let’s look at a few examples

champ, Patrick cantlay etc: etc etc, and they still hit bombs. Why? Why does cam champ and these other guys hit missiles? They weigh 150 pounds! Explain it to me

He does have a point. On one hand, not training for 2-3 years you'll still have a good amount of that strength left. On the other hand there's people like me, cruising at 120 mph with no training. I grew up playing baseball and started golf 7 years after that ended. I have peaked at 136 in comps, but that's not nearly the same as actual golf. I've been to a gym maybe four times... ever.

Personally, I'd like to hear what you recommend in terms of stretching and exercise. I would even encourage you to start a thread if you're feeling particularly type-happy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As someone who did power lifting style workouts for over a decade, and is about your size, the recovery time always seemed to hinder my ability to swing freely with my DOMs. Always felt some soreness somewhere restricting me. I’m swinging 114 average and would love to get to 120 soon.

I found that infusing more double kettlebell training has really helped me out. Doing clean, snatch and squats with two kettlebells requires core stability and you don’t need a ton of weight to see results. Plus you can do it at home. GL!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
22 hours ago, thebigred13 said:

Hell yes!! Grip it and RIP IT. Getting myself back in the gym to get my distance back

Just got done at the gym and a speed session… hit some decent numbers with the stack, but haven’t seen anything crazy results wise on the course…

my driver swing was jacked up (chasing speed foolishly) and I’ve finally gotten my form back… going to keep working with my swing coach and try to incorporate his stuff into my speed training.

also working with a personal trainer and doing some mobility work… very curious to see how all that helps things. 

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

14 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Just got done at the gym and a speed session… hit some decent numbers with the stack, but haven’t seen anything crazy results wise on the course…

my driver swing was jacked up (chasing speed foolishly) and I’ve finally gotten my form back… going to keep working with my swing coach and try to incorporate his stuff into my speed training.

also working with a personal trainer and doing some mobility work… very curious to see how all that helps things. 

I'm very new to this thread, but I would highly recommend Dr. Kwon's drills. Speed is a combination of what everyone on here is agreeing/disagreeing on. Strength matters, mobility matters, and imo sequencing matters the most. If you have poor sequencing then it will be extremely difficult for you to meet your goals. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Uncle_Buck2 said:

I'm very new to this thread, but I would highly recommend Dr. Kwon's drills. Speed is a combination of what everyone on here is agreeing/disagreeing on. Strength matters, mobility matters, and imo sequencing matters the most. If you have poor sequencing then it will be extremely difficult for you to meet your goals. 

I’ll check it out… I’ve got a swing coach I’m very happy with, and my sequencing seems to be decent. But who knows? Maybe it will unlock something.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 5/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, adamwittman said:

They have more Type II/fast twitch fibers than the normal human.  You do too.  You gotta be blessed with good genetics from the get go.  There are different body types in the category of long drivers.  You got guys like Cam Champ who might be 170 at 6 feet tall making 190 ball speed.  Then you have guys like Ryan Steenburg who probably weighs 210+, played in college as a line backer who still looks the part hitting 220 ball speed.  These two guys are on the opposite spectrum in terms of body type and strength yet they both have tons of fast twitch fibers that are active.  Doing work in the gym plus over speed training will add to that.  Btw, your numbers are impressive.

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Reading all this makes me realise two things, how slow I am and that if you're called Adam you get to swing at least 120.

You can always get faster… it will likely help your golf game more than it helps mine (going from mid 110s to 120 doesn’t offer a ton of advantage)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

12 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

You can always get faster… it will likely help your golf game more than it helps mine (going from mid 110s to 120 doesn’t offer a ton of advantage)

I'm about 110 with the G425 Max that I'm using now in an attempt to occasionally find the planet, about 114 with almost anything else.

• Like 1

@Myherobobhope I've been quietly following along and good to say you're making progress on your goal. Kinda wanted me to chase my own CHS goals I want to see if I can ultimately 140mph but first 130mph.

As a big guy myself mobility will be your best friend as you already know but also I will say keep up the lifting, yes mobility is big in this sport but being a big guy we have to move a lot of weight in our swing and if we're not strong enough to do that the club head isn't moving. Definitely working to drop weight like you are while keeping the same strength numbers will have that CHS up too.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

@Myherobobhope I've been quietly following along and good to say you're making progress on your goal. Kinda wanted me to chase my own CHS goals I want to see if I can ultimately 140mph but first 130mph.

As a big guy myself mobility will be your best friend as you already know but also I will say keep up the lifting, yes mobility is big in this sport but being a big guy we have to move a lot of weight in our swing and if we're not strong enough to do that the club head isn't moving. Definitely working to drop weight like you are while keeping the same strength numbers will have that CHS up too.

Thanks! I’ve hit 120 on the PRGR, but am actively working to make that speed consistent.

Just started working with a personal trainer and we are doing a ton of strength and flexibility stuff… his approach is one I believe in, basically strengthening muscles makes them more flexible (if you do it correctly).

We went over my mobility last session and he’s going to bring some equipment next session. I’m excited. 

my golf game feels better than it ever has, just need to start making less dumb mistakes on the course.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 5/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, adamwittman said:

As someone who would like to get faster, please do tell. In my mind I feel like most of it is proper sequencing. i’m definitely a lot stronger than a guy like Justin Thomas but yet his ball speed is 20 miles an hour faster than mine. obviously his swing is a lot better sequence than mine. I’m guessing he’s using the ground and sequencing 20 mph worth better than me?

• Like 1

$$$$

11 hours ago, ALIF said:

As someone who would like to get faster, please do tell. In my mind I feel like most of it is proper sequencing. i’m definitely a lot stronger than a guy like Justin Thomas but yet his ball speed is 20 miles an hour faster than mine. obviously his swing is a lot better sequence than mine. I’m guessing he’s using the ground and sequencing 20 mph worth better than me?

It can be a ton of different things, but it depends on your body and your swing.

There is something to be said about speed training. It doesn't require anything more than a radar for tracking speed, and trying to swing as fast as possible. Swinging fast with intent can at least show you what you are capable of. 

From there you have some options...

1. Speed training program (Stack, Speed Sticks, Rip Sticks) - I've been using the STACK for a bit, and it definitely helps you build SPEED. the problem is swinging harder doesn't necessarily translate to hitting the ball farther... If you go this route, make sure you are still hitting drivers on the regular. That was the biggest mistake I made.

2. Strength and Conditioning: More than just strength, it helps to build your body to move fast. Deadlifting is great, but medicine ball throws will help you hit the ball farther. It's not just being STRONGER than Justin Thomas, you have to develop the fast twitch muscles too.

3. Get into technical stuff: There is plenty of stuff about ground forces online... plenty of ways to improve your "fundamental forces"... This is an interesting rabbit hole. I'm not qualified to speak on it... I reached out to a guy on Skillest about a lesson, but never followed up... My driver swing is in a good place, so I might actually send him some video.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

On 8/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, Myherobobhope said:

1. Speed training program (Stack, Speed Sticks, Rip Sticks) - I've been using the STACK for a bit, and it definitely helps you build SPEED. the problem is swinging harder doesn't necessarily translate to hitting the ball farther... If you go this route, make sure you are still hitting drivers on the regular. That was the biggest mistake I made.

This burned me last offseason. I am going to be smarter time around. This coupled with gym work should bring decent gains. i just want mid 160s-170s ball speed. Currently high 150s

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

26 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

This burned me last offseason. I am going to be smarter time around. This coupled with gym work should bring decent gains. i just want mid 160s-170s ball speed. Currently high 150s

I think the key here is you have to raise your "cruising speed" not just your all out ability... It's a much longer path... 

You get used to swing harder with intent, and think it will carry over to the course... for me, it didn't. My approach now is different... I'm working on moving faster in the gym and with the speed training, and trying to stay "in control" on the course... hoping it translates to more on course distance. We will see. 

My driver swing was BROKEN for the first part of the season... like hard capped broken. My last 7 rounds have counted towards my handicap... so I'm back on track. Trying to focus on keeping the driver swing in play. It's an interesting balancing act. Shockingly, it's not featured in any of the marketing.

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

So my good swings are 103/152 on CHS/ball speed. When I was younger my good swings were around 115/160 this was with steel headed driver and balata golf balls. My goal is to go up to 120 over the next two years. If I can get 10 miles an hour between now and the spring of next year that would be awesome. Then the next year hopefully add 7 more miles an hour. This is quite a tall task but I feel like I can  do it. I think with better sequencing that I currently have I could go up 10 miles an hour. Then the next 7 will just be a lot of hard work.

• Like 1

$$$$

3 minutes ago, ALIF said:

So my good swings are 103/152 on CHS/ball speed. When I was younger my good swings were around 115/160 this was with steel headed driver and balata golf balls. My goal is to go up to 120 over the next two years. If I can get 10 miles an hour between now and the spring of next year that would be awesome. Then the next year hopefully add 7 more miles an hour. This is quite a tall task but I feel like I can  do it. I think with better sequencing that I currently have I could go up 10 miles an hour. Then the next 7 will just be a lot of hard work.

dont forget the gym. You also need your body to be able to handle swinging faster

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

dont forget the gym. You also need your body to be able to handle swinging faster

Yeah, I've been doing that hard for the last six months. I used to be a hard-core power lifter and bodybuilder when I was younger. I stopped working out for a while (12 years) when I used to race bicycles. The last few years I have been working out a fair amount. So that's been my goal the last year is to get strong enough to support the increase in speed.

• Like 2

$$$$

I don’t swing nearly as fast as you guys do but when I picked the game back up after 10 years of not playing I noticed I had picked up a ton of speed. In the meantime all I had done aside from casual lifting and running was some boxing and Muay Thai. I also did a lot of Blood Flow Restriction exercises (BFR) to rehab leg injuries.

When I picked up a golf club again, I was at 110-115 when swinging what I thought was easy…about 5-10 mph faster than I was in my early 20s, despite now having a torn meniscus in my left leg, and recovering from surgery on the other.

I’m not sure what to attribute this to - I did get a bit stronger but I wasn’t doing any crazy lifting or anything like that. I think the Muay Thai/boxing really helped because 1. Jump roping with a heavy rope really builds arm strength without bulk or shortening the muscles, and 2. although it’s a different motion, crosses and hooks involve body rotation and starting the motion from the ground.

Curious if anyone else on here has done similar training and noticed similar results.

• Like 1

• Myherobobhope changed the title to Chasing 130. (Updated from 120)