Please help improve my swing! 18 hdcp

I've played for almost a couple years and my after sitting around 30 for far too long, this year I've dropped my handicap into the teens. I was seeing a local pro for lessons but I found them to be hit and miss and while he worked out a few major issues, I felt that the quality of the lessons decreased. I've always been a fan of @MonteScheinblum and bought the Efficient Swing about a year ago. After having a total short game meltdown recently which the local pro couldn't really help, I bought Use the Bounce 2.0 and have been working on the techniques from that which is slowly improving my short game. Then Monte released a discount code for his videos so I figured I may as well purchase Drive 4 Dough. After watching some of that I tried to bring some of the concepts out onto the course today. While I was hitting my driver great, my irons and wedges were pretty inconsistent.

I used to have an issue with my knees where my front knee would turn in a lot during my backswing and then my rear knee would meet my front knee on the downswing which led to poor balance and ballstriking. Today, I was working on shortening my swing and keeping some distance between my knees throughout the swing. I can see that I am standing up at the top of my swing and over-rotating(?) on the way back, but apart from trying to take a shorter swing I'm not sure how to fix this. I think I should also have some more shaft lean in the setup to create a better angle of attack into the ball. Anyway, some advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and if it's any help, here's a DTL video. Slightly different swing from about a week ago. Either 6i or 7i, can't remember. Clearly way, way too long of a swing, but I can't self-diagnose much beyond that.

• 1 month later...

You’ve got a huge overswing, my man. You’re on the right track trying to shorten it. I worked on this for years. Monte has a great video on it. 

Of course, the right way to get yourself sorted out is to book some one on one or online lessons with Monte. 

I think there are a lot of good things going on in this swing. On your DTL video, however, I noticed that your hands move out away from your body as soon as you take the club away, so you get really disconnected right off the bat. This can cause all sorts of issues and could also be contributing to your overswing. There are all sorts of videos and drills out there about how to fix it, but I think just focusing on keeping your hands in during your takeaway will be a great place to start. 

Watch your swing and just focus on your head. About half way back it starts to lift considerably and then coming down it pulls down hard to get back to the starting position. Check out the 18 Birdies app. They have a swing analyzer that will definitely pick up on that and give you some drills to work on it. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Work on keep your head more stationary. From the side camera, draw a circle around your head at address, and it should pretty much stay there throughout the swing until after you've hit the ball. Right now your bouncing around a bit much - very hard to strike the ball precisely when you do that. 

It's hard to tell in slow motion but it also seems like you might be swinging VERY hard. If that's the case, you might want to try backing down by 5% or so.