Better 3.5 / 4 wood off the tee in the last 5 years - Ping or Titleist (or anything else).

I'm looking to turn 2 clubs into one. I rarely hit a wood off the fairway. Just looking for something off the tee between driver and my 2/3 iron (20 degree). Looking at Ping series G or G400 - Titleist TS2, 917, 915 16.5 or 15 turned up. Ball speed with the driver between 170-180.

*I'd like to know, more specifically, if Ping and Titleist previous models still measure up vs what's coming out now. As there are a few of the older models, with shafts that I know will work, just waiting to be plucked.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pluck a Cobra LTD Pro 3-4 wood off eBay for $50-60 and loft it all the way up. It, like it's big brother Driver and little brother 4-5 wood are the Kings of low spin with BIG distance. You will not be

Good points, Chip. SOrry, NRJyzr, missed that you had posted the same points first, 3 adjustable models as you said EX9 Tour has a smaller head - 13, 15 and 17* loft versions! - 150 cc head EX9 Long c

Tour edge makes great fairways, most aren’t adjustable though

Cbx 119, EXS 220 or the EXS Pro models may be good for you

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
TEE EXS +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43.5" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff untipped
TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 Stiff
TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - 2020 Aldila Rogue Black 85H TS
TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 
Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour C-Taper Lite R
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56 and 60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TS3 is the best looking and feeling 3wood IMO, but i've always been a Titleist guy so I'm biased. I think it's measurably better than their past models. My only gripe is that it's on the lower spin side so it's not perfect from the fairway but off the tee it's great. Also, has the most adjustability with the loft sleeve and the weight.

G410 LST 10.5 Accra TZ5 65 M5
TS3 15 Fujikura Rombax P95 X
818 H1 19 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105x

T100S 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 48-10 F Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 56-08 M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
WITB Link

Love my 917 F2. No issues off the tee or deck. I prefer playing a 16.5 turned down for a more open face. Very anti-left.

Taylormade SIM Max 9 - Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70 S
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S 
Ping i20 4i-PW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - VBack Dot
Ping Glide 2.0  58 ES - AWT 2.0  S - Black Dot
Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"

Pluck a Cobra LTD Pro 3-4 wood off eBay for $50-60 and loft it all the way up. It, like it's big brother Driver and little brother 4-5 wood are the Kings of low spin with BIG distance. You will not be disappointed!

• Like 1

Personally like the Titleist 915f 16.5 lofted down, just a phenomenal club off a low tee, while still being playable for rare shot needed off deck.

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I agree with SurfDaddy on the King LTD, though I would think the 4/5 wood lofted down to 16*, or one click short of that, would meet your needs pretty well.

Another thought would be the Tour Edge Ex9 Tour. It is adjustable, you can get a 17* model and tweak it down as needed. Not sure on the availability. There was also an E8 Tour, which was adjustable. The TEE fairway woods are really quite excellent.

If you don't mind not having the adjustability, I'd suggest looking for a TEE CB Pro or Pro F2. Deeper face, all kinds of naughty.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

True, current EXS and CBX FWs are not adjustable.

In past, TE often "skipped generations" on adjustability. Check out their Classic Clubs section for details on Exotics EX9 family. The standard, Tour and Long were all adjustable, both for loft and lie, and could be tuned to 16.5*.

Also, check out the EX10 Beta. Although it has a bonded head, had a slightly deeper face and slightly higher CoG than average, and it came in a 16.5* version.

Lots of good deals on used TE fairways if you hunt around.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Good points, Chip.

SOrry, NRJyzr, missed that you had posted the same points first,

3 adjustable models as you said

EX9 Tour has a smaller head - 13, 15 and 17* loft versions! - 150 cc head

EX9 Long comes in 13 and 15 and adjustable, but these are 185 cc, larger heads (deep faces)

E8 Tour was also adjustable with a small head (12-15.5 adjustability) - 14* loft version - 150 cc head

• Like 1

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
TEE EXS +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43.5" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff untipped
TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 Stiff
TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - 2020 Aldila Rogue Black 85H TS
TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 
Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour C-Taper Lite R
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56 and 60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

Another vote for the Anything Cobra between F6 and F9. (Especially the F6,7,8) as the Baffler tech is legit. Sound and feel are amazing and they are not hook machines like some fairways (at least in my opinion). I love my F8 I just got (tuned to 15.5* at the moment but have played it at 15 and 16 as well depending on course). Seriously great club and as I mentioned, the baffler tech tangibly impacts the usability. Great off the tee, off the deck and in the rough. Truly a standout piece of technology.

Ping i25 is still in my bag and I haven’t found anything that is as good. I have replaced the head twice so far they are that good

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

I confused that with the mini-driver. If there was one near me with a suitable shaft. I'd have tried it today.

As it is, I found another Royal Collection fairway wood to plug in the bag (V7 Ti 17'). It's titanium constructed, with a fixed hosel. I found one with an Attas G7 7X, when I went to look at a few TS3s. I actually loved the TS3 and I might go back and pick one up. I've just always wanted to see any difference between the 18 degree steel and the titanium in the Royal collection.

I took it too the range and learned I could hook the snot out of it. I don't mind a draw and that's the shot I hit with it 6/7 times. But, that one has me a little worried I think I better slap an MCC with at least 4 wraps on it before I have another go. I picked up a raw Vokey 60L (60-04) while I was deciding which wood to go with and I think it's gonna fit in the rotation of wedges quite nicely, so I've got that going for me, at the very least. And, I've got a nice bottle of raw sake to go with my dinner too.

I saw a few Cobra, but the brand is very very niche in Japan. TEE are about the same.

I'm sort of doubtful I got the right club. But, it's not too shabby. We'll see what happens when I get it regripped.

I love my TS3 3 wood, my back up is an older Ping i3 that i truly loved.

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
3W-Titleist TS3 15.75* w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Bridgestone Tour B X

Another Cobra vote here. For the last 10 years, my fairway has been- buy new cool fairway wood, can't hit it, and then find whatever the year old Cobra fairway head is on Ebay and stick my 83g whiteboard in it and game that one. Not sure what it is but the Cobra heads always have seemed to agree with me, going back to the Speed LD F.

Vote for Cobra F9 here. But if you can get it, I think the Speedzone is a bit better.

PING G410 Plus 9* Graphite Design AD XC-6
Cobra KING Speedzone FW 14.5* 3W Graphite Design AD-DI 6
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland RTX 4 60* TT DG S400
Taylormade Spider X/ Scotty Cameron Special Studio Newport
2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

Tour Edge e8 Beta version 16.5, not adjustable, but huge off the tee.

Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 10* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
>>>Building a SGI Bag<<<<<
Callaway MD5 54X DG115
Callaway MD4 58X DG115
Cameron Futura 5.5M

I still have mine and complete agree. Paired up up with an 86X V2 and does the job nicely. Would also mention the 917F2 16.5* as these are the only 2 4 woods that I have gamed.

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

I've gamed Titleist woods for years so I know I'm biased. Currently go back and forth between a tour-issue 915F and a 917F2, both in 15*

But I am constantly surfing the 'bay to find a TS2/TS3 in 16.5 to try out. Tons of good feedback on both...

I’m also loving the ts3 fairway currently. Fantastic off of the tee and fairway. Better off the tee for me as I’m the same as you OP, with long irons coming after the fairway wood. Ball speed is great and easy to get it dialed in. Plus the shape is just about perfect to my eye.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

Dammit. I really don't need to hear this. Everything you said is true. I was just worried I'd be hitting it too far. I hit my driver well. When I get it going, it's landing 290 and rolling out. The 915FD 13.5 I set to 15 was sometimes getting out there 290-300 too. I really need something in that 260-270 range (and in the middle of every fairway). The only problem with the FD (other than it goes to far) is the size. The TS3 is absolutely perfect.

As another aside. The Royal Collection does feel pretty damn solid. It might just need a grip change.

I had a Mizuno Clk 4hy and I couldn't miss the thing until I changed the grip. Went from dead straight to missing right or sniping left

The RC 17 may just need a thicker grip, so my hands stay a little quieter. Then I should get my 250-60 with a little roll out.

If that happens, I can rest a little easier.

Here is one more thought if you are worried about hitting it too far. Why not try the ts2 as a 4 wood? I know the shape is slightly different, but it could add a little more height and spin which could mitigate some of the concern. I suck at fairway woods, but when I demoed the ts2 5 wood it was stupid easy to hit with awesome ball speed. Only reason I’m not bagging it is I love my 2iron too damn much. Any, just thinking out loud.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

For what you listed I'd go with an older Cobra model instead. They're great and can hang with fairway woods today pending proper set up. I have an F7 who's days are numbered with a new G410 LST on the way. It's still performing well but got 20 more yards with the G410 setup so dumb for me not to switch.

Still gonna hold onto the F7 for a bit just in case the Ping doesn't click.

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more.