2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: Honma TR20 Driver Testing! See What Members Are Saying Inside!

knudson81

My current gamer is the XP-1 9.5 degree with the TR20 50 R shaft. Love the feel and sound, but finding that spin numbers are higher than expected. Even on really good strikes, the overall distance isn't there. I am left handed and the TR20 is not yet available left handed.

Driver: PXG 0211 9*, Accra TZ6 445M3

3 & 5 wood: TM SIM2 MAX D, FUJI AirSpeeder 45R

4 Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen 2, Accra i70R

5-7 iron: Honma XP-1, Vizard 63R

8-11 iron: Honma TW X, Vizard 63R

52,56 & 60: Honma TW W4, Vizard TR 20 - 85R

Putter: SIK Tour Prototpye

ALL LEFT HANDED

Played 18 today, Vanderbilt Legends, North Course, White tees..

Awesome day, score was still 87? What the heck! (punched, top dressed, re top dressed) Still no excuse, but I missed 3 - 6' ish birdies, and 5 - 6' ish to save par. My 6 pars were all inside 5'.

So goal number 1 was to hit more fairways than my gamer Mizuno, which actually has been benched. I missed 3 fairways today - personal best, so goal 1 was demolished. 1 of those was OB and the other was lost in a penalty area. The other was maybe 3 steps off into the rough. Now, this was on purpose today, and as a result I dialed back my swing a bit. I averaged 207 off the tee and longest was 240. I was not swinging near as fast as I usually do. I am headed to GG tomorrow to confirm difference and look at some numbers. Additionally, the course was saturated so little if any roll out. I actually had one plug....

So here is where I am at with Honma settings - Vizard Fp 6s, TR20 head set to open, heavier weight up front. Currently it is still a work in progress, but every outing gets better, however it is a bit of work... I might like to flex down to feel more comfortable and finally realize that I am closer to 60 than I want to be. Case in point. I traded cubs with a friend of mine - Callaway Fusion 3 wood with a stiff shaft, for a Big Bertha 3 wood with a regular shaft, and it feels effortless and I am 95% confident with it. It's not as long (maybe head, maybe me), but it's pretty much point and shoot. The one I traded was maybe a 40%er..

So, I would not mind trying a regular flex Vizard. After I get some hard numbers I will reach out to Preston at Honma..

There is so much to love about this Driver/Shaft combo. Especially the TR20 head. Love the sound, love the hot face when I actually nut it, and I dig the shape.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have been using my TR20 with the FD-5R shaft in the flat setting as my gamer (9.5 head, with the 9 grm weight in the front). I am, actually, very pleased with the TR20, and, after having my golf game go off the rails last year, I am starting to play better golf. Tee shots are (pretty much) going where I am aiming, which, is pleasantly surprising. I am not sure why, but, I find setting up with the TR20 a lot easier than my Ping G400 Max, where, I always seemed to set with the ball towards the heel of the driver, with the TR20, it is more centered. I think I got lucky and am pretty well matched my TR20 setup, but, I will try to get into one of the local golf shops to get some numbers.

I've been wanting a 460 9.5 with the FD X shaft, but no stock of that config near me and I'm concerned an order would take forever. Really enjoying all the feedback here.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

My best guess is that it would not take that long. Yeah, it'd be pretty cool finding one in shop, but since they are not everywhere I would assume that they are used to these types of orders..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

That's a good point, the PGA Store in Atlanta has them for demo, loved it when I got to hit it. Might swing by tomorrow and get an ETA/place an order.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

So I can confidently say that I’m going to be using the TR20 over my g400lst moving forward. The forgiveness is a little better on the toe and even with the 460, I’m not getting any spinny balloon drives. The FP-6x has been super stable and there’s just no complaints right now. My club championship starts this weekend, so it’ll be exciting to have it out in competition.

I wanted to get LM numbers, but the only place near me that’s open and has reliable launch monitors got 3 inches of water in the indoor hitting room and soaked the monitors following a broken pipe. I’m hoping to get in this week if they have everything back up and running.

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

LOL, launch monitors can be such an ego check! Nothing electronic got close to actual course distances, but wind and slope will add or detract accordingly. Biggest surprise is that even following Chris Ryan's power move to the best of my ability, I am still hitting down on the ball. Feel wise, my presumption is that I have been hitting up while on the course.. Could be the large rubber tee height which is a little diff than what I do outside.. Dunno..I will share these with Honma to see if there might be a better choice, but I am going to assume that it is mostly my swing..

Trackman - GG. The store was oddly empty this morning. Not even a sales person there to reset/set/give the ok to use a bay. So I started hitting..Let me say this,, as I was bent over trying to stretch to stave off injury, I was thankful the store was quiet.. Nothing like an old man doing a stretch in front off GG Trackman simulation to make eyes roll..

Honma TR20 460 9.5, open, heavy weight up front, Vizard FP 6S

Getting rid of the best and the worst - Some were trying be easy and some were trying to go after it. As you can see, not much of a diff. but to me it felt like a lot. I do not feel like I really hit the sweet spot consistently. I was in the bay for about 20 min. while my hybrid was being re-gripped. I hit about 10-15 balls to get loose, then I warmed up with 8 and then noted 8, kept 6. club speed, ball speed, launch angle, carry, total, spin rate, attack angle, smash fac92, 128, 12.6, 197.8, 227, 2530, -0.7, 1.3895, 136.8, 12.6, 213.2, 233.5, 3471, -1.6, 1.4492, 131.7, 13.9, 210.4, 231.4, 3126, 0.1, 1.4392.3, 133.5, 15.7, 214.8, 232.2, 3290, 1.8, 1.4597.2, 135, 12.3, 210, 238.4, 2666, -3.6, 1.3994.1, 139.6, 9.2, 214.7, 244.9, 2828, -0.4, 1.48

Mizuno ST190G 460 9.0, STD, both weights slid forward, MC Tensei Blue CK 60S - warmed up with 5 then Hit 5, tossed out worst and best, saved 3. club speed, ball speed, launch angle, carry, total, spin rate, attack angle, smash fac93, 131.4, 14.6, 201.4, 219, 3460, 0.4, 1.3294, 130.8, 13.6, 216.2, 224.5, 3571, -0.7, 1.3994, 132, 15.2, 219.4, 235.4, 3226, 0.7, 1.43

Between the 2 in the bay?

I feel more sluggish with the Mizuno, but I do have a jumbo grip on it vs a Tour Velvet with 4 wraps on the Honma. This probably also affects my presumption and actual feel of balance. The Honma feels more head heavy, yet also feels faster. The Mizuno feels the same across the face, whereas the Honma has that distinct sweet spot and a little difference everywhere else.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Shout out to Preston at Honma! We discussed my numbers and he recommended a heavier weight up front to help reduce some spin. Note, my swing is under constant personal scrutiny, no doubt, but historically my spin numbers have always been high. Keeping shafts the same, and I will again rotate the FD and FP shafts when I try the new head weights up front - 12 and 15 gram.

Top Notch CS....

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I would like to see the difference in weight placements, front vs back. I have heavier weight in the back of my TW747 460 and I love the forgiveness along with good distance. also, I played with fade setting last time. boy it makes YUGE difference.

Gentlemen, keep pushing more data and feedback.

I failed in my quest to get some numbers. I did get some numbers, but, hitting indoors vs outdoors, makes me think my swing was off. Over 90% of my swings indoors were fading/slicing, outdoors 90% of my swings (today in a left to right wind) were straight to draw. After my session at the golf shop, I went to my local outdoor driving range to hit a few balls. At the shop, I was a little longer and straighter with my Ping G400 Max, outdoors, they appear very close. I have had problems hitting indoors before due to the dimness in the hitting areas, and, "stock" rubber tees. At my local driving range, I use a tee with a rubber band wrapped around the bottom to customize my tee height. As for the difference in forgiveness between front and back, my experiences with Cobra FlyZ+/F6/F7 were dramatically worse with the heavier weight in the front. With the TR20, forgiveness didn't seem too different, but, with the heavier weight in front, my drives got straighter and longer, which, was quite surprising to me.

I will get some more trackman info when the additional weights come in. Granted for me it is more about spin, and I am already out performing my previous best ever driver. I hit 79% fairways today and I am seeing consistent distance increases across all situations.

Yeah the open/fade setting was good for me!

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Crushing the driver right now! Just wish my wedges and putter were on board. 86% fairways today,, I'm a mid cap,, what! - misses were playable except for one.. Take my experience for what it is worth, but the Honma TR20 460 is one of the best out there. Add the Vizard shaft and it's a combo that may surprise you.

I'd send you mine to try, but yeah, that ain't gonna happen. It has firmly earned its place in my bag. However, should there be a rental/trial program developed,, sign the dotted line..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 4 weeks later...

Bummer... And I am in an emotional rut. Not because of the driver, but because of my knee.

I received the heavier head weights and all was going according to plan. But, while demonstrating a swing drill with one of my players I tore something in my lead knee. This has been my good knee, always steady and out performing my trail knee - 4 surgeries.

I have been hobbling for the last 2 weeks waiting on a workers comp appointment. Thankfully I get to have my previous doc as an option, so I am just waiting. He was on a holiday last week. Sad to say that it will be at least 6 weeks (after surgery) before I am back at it with the driver. I have been idle since Sept. 11 and I have gained 10 pounds! Ugh...Anyway,, this driver is money, and I can't wait to test the change in weights... 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

37 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Bummer... And I am in an emotional rut. Not because of the driver, but because of my knee.

I received the heavier head weights and all was going according to plan. But, while demonstrating a swing drill with one of my players I tore something in my lead knee. This has been my good knee, always steady and out performing my trail knee - 4 surgeries.

I have been hobbling for the last 2 weeks waiting on a workers comp appointment. Thankfully I get to have my previous doc as an option, so I am just waiting. He was on a holiday last week. Sad to say that it will be at least 6 weeks (after surgery) before I am back at it with the driver. I have been idle since Sept. 11 and I have gained 10 pounds! Ugh...Anyway,, this driver is money, and I can't wait to test the change in weights... 

Great feedback on the Honma TR20. Sorry to hear about your knee. Good luck on a speedy recovery. 

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I wish you  a speedy recovery. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good news is this TR20 driver is one of, if not the best driver available on the market today. The bad news is I am gearing up for an MRI to confirm suspected cartilage damage and a meniscus tear. However, my Doc did say that I will not hurt it anymore, I'd just have to endure the pain. And so, let this be the ultimate payback to Honma. Ha! 

I have been sitting on 2 new weights for the driver, a 12 and a 15 gram. These were for me to test so I could find a reduction in my spin numbers. Give me a little slack, I'm hobbling and have not played for 6 weeks. 

I popped in the 12 gram up front and left all other settings the same. I played The Hermitage General's Retreat, white tees. I am 55yo, and all previous numbers are listed above. And while it is hard to see a reduction in spin while only on the course, I did notice a difference. Placebo? Not sure, but the ball flight was a flatter arc and I did see some longer and straighter drives. Granted a few were straight and left of the fairway, but I have pretty much eliminated the constant conversation of missing right. 

Stand outs - Hole 2 par 5, 273 off the tee to right side of the fairway. Hole 6 par 4, 267 off the tee, carried fairway bunkers. Hole 10 par 4, 265 off the tee fairway patch below the green. Hole 11 par 5, 245 off the tee to left rough before running out into water. 

Overall for the first test with a heavier weight up front is an improvement for me. I'll try the 15 gram next time out. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

The grip on the FD-5R shaft was showing some wear, so, I switched over to the TR20-5R shaft. I should have tried it earlier after I had switched the heavy weight to the front of my TR20, but, I thought my results were good enough (I didn't think it would matter much, since, I am a slower swinger). The TR20 shaft is lower launching than the FD shaft, and, I was getting some decent roll out. Initially, the TR20 shaft with the heavier weight in the back, was short and spinny, but, with the heavier weight in the front - I got lower launch and, most importantly, lower spin. It is a lot more enjoyable hitting irons into greens vs. hybrids and fairway woods. 

• Like 1

Killed it today! Okay, I am still hobbling around but I almost played pain free, granted my pain free means I felt about 60%, which is huge. MRI is scheduled for Wednesday so I will soon find out what I need to get fixed. 

This was my second round with the 12gram up front at the Hermitage - Generals Retreat, blue tees. I hit 71% fairways, and shot an 80. I hat 2 blow up holes which were stupid decisions on my part. 4 stokes at least were lost, not to failing to mention the minor oof's around the green. 

Driving was !!. I did loose steam around the 14 hole which allowed more flaws to creep in, but I still hung on and the results were playable. Thankfully I have 25+ years experience with scrambling. Not bad for being out of golf shape - only my second round since August 11. 

I experienced about the same driving distances as the other day. Stiffer winds, yet the ball was penetrating and I was helped on a few holes. I really can't wait to get the driver on the monitor. I'd like to see if this current combo has finally gotten me into ideal spin numbers; yes would be my guess. And I will admit that I am really not motivated to try the 15 gram up front. What I have is working for me. But, I will just because this is what it is all about. 

Of ALL the drivers I have played, this Honma is the best of the bunch for me. Non offensive sound, superb feel, stable performance, and loads of distance. Adding, this is the straightest that I have ever driven the ball. It's almost predictable, and I have never found that in a driver.  

• Like 2

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Crucial day today - I have my final knee eval with the doc to hear of the MRI findings. If surgery, then our fall break makes sense, but the Greystone Club Championship is that weekend, which I am saving my Advil and swings for. So, it could be thanksgiving break which then screws 6 weeks of my winter. 

Still rocking the 12 gram up front. I am loving it. The feel is something that someone mentioned would be more harsh as I increase the front weight, but I am not experiencing it. The ball is coming off the face with a mid penetrating flight. Shot an 82 at Montgomery Bell - blue tees, 70% fairways. 

Hope to get out on Sunday after the hurricane remnants passes by. I will be trying the 15 gram up front, at least on the range. The current set up is working really well. I will also pop in the other shaft. 

I am now fully committed to this driver as I sold my Mizuno! The Honma just flat out performs. 

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 3 weeks later...

Surgery scheduled for Dec 18,, scope for some torn meniscus. Bad news, stage 4 arthritis - hope to get 5 years before replacements. That said, at least my rehab this time will be through mid Feb.. Just in time to get in shape for spring. 

We had a little Ryder Cup style round with my team - Faculty Coaches v Team on Sat. I got out there early to try the diff weight and shaft. I put in the 15gram up front, but the difference was apparent right away. I know I am not playing as much, but the ball flight flattened out and the ball ended up left more than straight. It was cold, and range balls, so I was definitely not getting the same distance, not a huge difference though. It's the ball flight and direction that concerned me the most. I was only on that combo before I psyched myself out and switched back for the match. I need more time to see what I can do with the heaviest weight up front, but initial feel was a no. 

@neilcsd you mentioned sound. Yep nice indeed. The heavier 15gram weight really muted/deadened the lovely note. 

@Barracuda Me too brother! Stats have improved without a doubt.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Got to test the Honma TR20 today.  It felt and sounded great, but the ball speed and distance wasn't quite there.  Compared it against my current TM M5 (74g X flex Fuji Pro 2.0 TS at D5).  I was fighting it going left the whole time.  I did put some lead tape bringing it up to D3.5 (same as putting a 13g weight up front) and I was able to keep it right but it actually shot the spin up.  Longest with Honma was 285/308.  Longest with TM was 298/315.  Averages with TM were higher, Honma maybe just a little more stable with D3.5.  Not sure why more weight up front moved the spin up?  Summary of my testing below.  I can send anyone interested the full data.  Also did some TSi3 testing for the fun of it. 

Honma testing.JPG