Understanding Bulls Eye Putters

Too bad the name is Nate and not Bing. 😉

Nice playable flat face. Got one in my every day bag.

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Any recommendations on a slightly heavier Bullseye that has a sight line? I have an old Austad Bullseye , it has a sight line but is not center shafted and is fairly light.

I'm struggling with lagging long putts but more accurate on shorter putts than I am with a old half mallet Carbide or my Ping Anser 3 so overall I'd like to keep a bullseye in the bag. Most of the problem is me,  but I don't have access to a good practice area and the mat in the house doesn't do anything to help with long putts.

I know Seemore has a new one for $300 but that's beyond my price range.

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, golfunderpar18 said:

Some Info I saved on my iPad as I never remember either . Here you go:

Bulls Eye putters with the John Reuter stamping are the most valuable of all the Bulls Eye putters. Hang on to it. I have a Bulls Eye that I bought in the late 80's and they no longer carried the John Reuter stamping. The John Reuter Bulls Eye is from the original run.

Bullseye putters with the "Acushnet" stamps were Titleist putters, just before the Titleist name took over the use of Acushnet. The Pat Pend Bullseye putters are more rare and are pre-Acushnet. The company was sold to Acushnet when it was still manufacturing putters in South Phoenix and it remained there for a time, after the purchase. 

STD - Standard 

OS - Old Standard 

O-Set - Offset 

OR - Original 

LB - Light Blade 

HB - Heavy Blade 

LAF - LaFemme 

JR - Junior 

FL - Flange 

LHFL - Left Handed Flange 

LFL - Heel Shafted Flange 

WFL - Wide Flange 

WFL-O - Wide Flange Offset 

HSF - Heel Shafted Flange 

HSF-II - Heel Shafted Flange II 

ML - Mallet 

MLO - Mallet Offset 

MLI - Mallet I 

Length:

4 - 34" 

5 - 35" 

6 - 36" 

"LaFemme" - 34" 

Lie:

M - Medium 

U - Upright 

F - Flat 

Grip:

P - Paddle 

S - Standard 

C - Cord 

#4 curryj 

Here is a listing of the original designs.

Original: Medium weight, rounded toe, flat top. For right or left handers.

Old Standard: Medium weight with square toe and top blade. Sight line

Standard: Medium weight with rounded toe and top.

Light Blade: Like Old Standard but lighter, narrower.

Heavy Blade: Like Old Standard but with heavier, wider blade.

Bulls Eye Junior: Standard blade. 30" shaft. Scaled-down grip dimensions.

Heel Shafted Flange: Medium-heavy weight. Offset hosel. Sweet spot slot for improved feel and alignment.

Heel Shaft Flange II: Like the Heel Shafted Flange but without the Offset.

Wide Flange: Heavy, wide flange for low concentration of weight. Sweet spot slot. Idea. for large or slower greens.

Wide Flange Offset: Same as Wide Flange but offset.

Flange: Medium weight, slightly offset. Single sweet spot sight line.

LaFemme: Light weight for the woman golfer. Rounded toe, top and flange.

Left Handed Flange: Like the Flange but for the one out of every dozen golfers who plays left-handed.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, golfunderpar18 said:

Some Info I saved on my iPad as I never remember either . Here you go:

Bulls Eye putters with the John Reuter stamping are the most valuable of all the Bulls Eye putters. Hang on to it. I have a Bulls Eye that I bought in the late 80's and they no longer carried the John Reuter stamping. The John Reuter Bulls Eye is from the original run.

Bullseye putters with the "Acushnet" stamps were Titleist putters, just before the Titleist name took over the use of Acushnet. The Pat Pend Bullseye putters are more rare and are pre-Acushnet. The company was sold to Acushnet when it was still manufacturing putters in South Phoenix and it remained there for a time, after the purchase. 

STD - Standard 

OS - Old Standard 

O-Set - Offset 

OR - Original 

LB - Light Blade 

HB - Heavy Blade 

LAF - LaFemme 

JR - Junior 

FL - Flange 

LHFL - Left Handed Flange 

LFL - Heel Shafted Flange 

WFL - Wide Flange 

WFL-O - Wide Flange Offset 

HSF - Heel Shafted Flange 

HSF-II - Heel Shafted Flange II 

ML - Mallet 

MLO - Mallet Offset 

MLI - Mallet I 

Length:

4 - 34" 

5 - 35" 

6 - 36" 

"LaFemme" - 34" 

Lie:

M - Medium 

U - Upright 

F - Flat 

Grip:

P - Paddle 

S - Standard 

C - Cord 

#4 curryj 

Here is a listing of the original designs.

Original: Medium weight, rounded toe, flat top. For right or left handers.

Old Standard: Medium weight with square toe and top blade. Sight line

Standard: Medium weight with rounded toe and top.

Light Blade: Like Old Standard but lighter, narrower.

Heavy Blade: Like Old Standard but with heavier, wider blade.

Bulls Eye Junior: Standard blade. 30" shaft. Scaled-down grip dimensions.

Heel Shafted Flange: Medium-heavy weight. Offset hosel. Sweet spot slot for improved feel and alignment.

Heel Shaft Flange II: Like the Heel Shafted Flange but without the Offset.

Wide Flange: Heavy, wide flange for low concentration of weight. Sweet spot slot. Idea. for large or slower greens.

Wide Flange Offset: Same as Wide Flange but offset.

Flange: Medium weight, slightly offset. Single sweet spot sight line.

LaFemme: Light weight for the woman golfer. Rounded toe, top and flange.

Left Handed Flange: Like the Flange but for the one out of every dozen golfers who plays left-handed.

Resurrecting this because I've found a putter I really like: 

It's stamped HB M 5 S.  I've found one on eBay that's similar but stamped HB 5 S.  According to the information quoted above the lie category is blank for this second one I'm looking at. If 

M - Medium, U - Upright, F - Flat what is no letter?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I have one of the flange ones with a leather wrap grip on it that seems like it could be original. Or maybe not. For me this putter has an off the charts cool factor. I wish like anything I could actually make putts with it. 

A couple times I've put it in the bag for a solo round, just for fun. Seems like every time I do that I make one 20+ footer...and three-putt about half a dozen times. Pretty much the only club I've ever kept long-term even though I can't use it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Acushnet BULLS EYE ML was made in LH. Specifically the ML M 5S. My wife has one in RH but i like it only cant put RH. 

havent seen one yet but will stop looking if the only true LH was the Flange... 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Maltby STi 5W 18*

Cleveland Launcher HB 4H 22*

Ping i500 6/7

Ping Iblade 7-PW

Mizuno JPX 919F GW 51*

Ping Anser SW 56*

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 LW 60*

Custom Odyssey 5 Copper  

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, becalmbecool said:

Does he mention his grandfather's name?  Charles?  Poorly produced, kid comes across as a hopeless helpless millennial. ' I might break it '. Recommend the masters YouTube website, coodys winning effort is a good watch!  (To make up for this low energy mess)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my fathers Bulls Eye putter that's been rusted and pitted. It only has Bulls Eye on it and a Patent Pending mark with John Reuter’ Jr’s name under it. No dates. I’m refinishing and have removed all pits from it. Originally it had a leather grip and the top end, which I’ve left on for now, is wood approximately 1” long with a hard piece of plastic capped on it and has a screw in the top of it. I've never seen this before. Any feedback regarding age would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to have as close to an original grip put on it. Thank you, Richard

4 hours ago, Richard Ranney said:

I have my fathers Bulls Eye putter that's been rusted and pitted. It only has Bulls Eye on it and a Patent Pending mark with John Reuter’ Jr’s name under it. No dates. I’m refinishing and have removed all pits from it. Originally it had a leather grip and the top end, which I’ve left on for now, is wood approximately 1” long with a hard piece of plastic capped on it and has a screw in the top of it. I've never seen this before. Any feedback regarding age would be greatly appreciated. I’d like to have as close to an original grip put on it. Thank you, Richard

I think you have an original pre-Acushnet putter, it might be worth more than the Acushnet bullseye putters...I do have two John Reuter Jr's Bullseye putters, one with "pat pending" & one with "a pat #" (both pre Acushnet takeover)

On 11/18/2022 at 6:30 AM, North Butte said:

I have one of the flange ones with a leather wrap grip on it that seems like it could be original. Or maybe not. For me this putter has an off the charts cool factor. I wish like anything I could actually make putts with it. 

A couple times I've put it in the bag for a solo round, just for fun. Seems like every time I do that I make one 20+ footer...and three-putt about half a dozen times. Pretty much the only club I've ever kept long-term even though I can't use it. 

That's very much my experience when using a Bullseye; make a long one, miss lots of short ones. 

I keep it for the occasionally practice round because it does tell me about the state of my putting stroke. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, mocokid said:

Does he mention his grandfather's name?  Charles?  Poorly produced, kid comes across as a hopeless helpless millennial. ' I might break it '. Recommend the masters YouTube website, coodys winning effort is a good watch!  (To make up for this low energy mess)

I like how the younger Coody comments on how technology today would save you with a miss stroke

putting.  
1) Makes me wonder if the tech aspect was dialed back what would professional golf look like.

2) Some argue modern day pros would adjust to vintage gear.  However, if anything watching the younger Coody marketing has really got into the modern day golfers head. To the point of mocking or joking when holding an older piece of equipment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I like how the younger Coody comments on how technology today would save you with a miss stroke

putting.  
1) Makes me wonder if the tech aspect was dialed back what would professional golf look like.

2) Some argue modern day pros would adjust to vintage gear.  However, if anything watching the younger Coody marketing has really got into the modern day golfers head. To the point of mocking or joking when holding an older piece of equipment. 

Let's face it, the kid is sad..... putting with a bullseye is not like trying to get out of a deep bunker with a hickory niblick.....gimme a break

I don’t really have to worry about fast greens at the courses I play.  So that’s non issue.  

I think the Bullseye OS or Bullseye HB are the best for me.  I’ve tried pretty much every type of vintage putter the past 3 years and the thing with the Bullseye is I instantly know where the center of gravity is.  I can feel it it in my fingertips, through my arms, and into my brain. 

That coupled with the low compression balls I play with my other vintage clubs makes for a sweet feeling ball strike when putting. 

I don’t know anything else though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My father’s original Reuter’s 1st Bulls Eye with a fluted shaft appears the flutes were blackened in. I’ve googled photos that appear blackened. I’m restoring it and it was in pretty bad condition. There was a plethora of rust and pits which I’ve removed. I need to confirm if these were blackened in instead of being pitted. I’ve removed darn near everything there but there are still some very tiny minor black small spots that I can’t tell if it’s paint or pits. I appreciate any help. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OpgForce said:

Question for you expert bulls eye gurus!  Where is the sweet spot?  Is it where this sight line is for a typical naked top line bulls eye putter?

Edisto Putter

Hi OP @OpgForce... I typically focus my eyes/ assume the sweet spot = where the shaft intersects with the bullseye 🎯 putter head ie draw an imaginary line extending beyond the hosel. 

ie near enough the line on your putter head example photo... perhaps a smidge heel-side?

..p/s: more info pls (and website Link?) wrt your putter shown in photo

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:02 PM, Richard Ranney said:

My father’s original Reuter’s 1st Bulls Eye with a fluted shaft appears the flutes were blackened in. I’ve googled photos that appear blackened. I’m restoring it and it was in pretty bad condition. There was a plethora of rust and pits which I’ve removed. I need to confirm if these were blackened in instead of being pitted. I’ve removed darn near everything there but there are still some very tiny minor black small spots that I can’t tell if it’s paint or pits. I appreciate any help. 

Some were blackned and some were not. I am not that much of an expert to tell you what models or years were like that. When I did the Bulls Eye shaft conversion on my Santa Fe I blacked mine in just because I wanted to and I felt it looks neat. I have also seen the flutes blackened on some Wilson putters and some TP Mills

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 1/29/2023 at 9:42 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I don’t really have to worry about fast greens at the courses I play.  So that’s non issue.  

I think the Bullseye OS or Bullseye HB are the best for me.  I’ve tried pretty much every type of vintage putter the past 3 years and the thing with the Bullseye is I instantly know where the center of gravity is.  I can feel it it in my fingertips, through my arms, and into my brain. 

That coupled with the low compression balls I play with my other vintage clubs makes for a sweet feeling ball strike when putting. 

I don’t know anything else though. 

Yes I agree. Our greens are in such pristine shape now it is a sheer joy to use a Bulls Eye or Ironmaster on. The other week I was on our putting green using a Spalding TP Mills #3 with 2 Titleist Balata balls. Sheer Joy. But now when I am semi serious in like the Shootout it is the rusty Santa Fe. Some tourist golfer asked "why was I putting with a 50 year old putter?" I told him because on a good green I still can putt with one or a Bulls Eye. I practice quite a bit with the Mills , one of my Bulls Eyes or an Ironmaster for the exact reasons you stated for the feel. The same reason I practice with a persimmon driver. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

52 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yes I agree. Our greens are in such pristine shape now it is a sheer joy to use a Bulls Eye or Ironmaster on. The other week I was on our putting green using a Spalding TP Mills #3 with 2 Titleist Balata balls. Sheer Joy. But now when I am semi serious in like the Shootout it is the rusty Santa Fe. Some tourist golfer asked "why was I putting with a 50 year old putter?" I told him because on a good green I still can putt with one or a Bulls Eye. I practice quite a bit with the Mills , one of my Bulls Eyes or an Ironmaster for the exact reasons you stated for the feel. The same reason I practice with a persimmon driver. 

I just got my first TP Mills bundled in with a set of 1980-84 Spalding Top Flite Irons.  I think it's  #1 model.  My most modern putter to date.  It's too cold to put on grass but it feels pretty good on by basement carpet!

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Hi OP @OpgForce... I typically focus my eyes/ assume the sweet spot = where the shaft intersects with the bullseye 🎯 putter head ie draw an imaginary line extending beyond the hosel. 

ie near enough the line on your putter head example photo... perhaps a smidge heel-side?

..p/s: more info pls (and website Link?) wrt your putter shown in photo

https://meridianputters.com/collections/edisto-putters

• Like 1

I have several Bullseye putters. On the ones with no marking, there's a highlight, or reflection in front of the hosel. That's the sweetspot.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

332799206_ScreenShot2023-02-11at7_49_33PM.png.496f7156ddce6826abd241d17266f415.png

• Like 1

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's