2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The Thrill Seems to be Gone (A thread on apathy...)

MelloYello

I think it's necessary to find a balance so that you play a round with enough motivation.  What's happening to you OP is pretty common if you've played for a long time.  Life comes along so there better and worse moments to play the game.  I've been playing the game for many many years and I've also run for like 30 years now.  And there are times when you don't feel like doing it much, or the training, or a loss of interest in setting new goals.  You have to live with it.  It'll come back to you enventually.  Because not many people can do a difficult activity for so long with some relative success to the point of quitting.  

In my case I only play on Saturdays, we always play club tournaments on Sats and I practice  for 40 minutes two or three days a week.  My focus is always Saturday to have the best performance I can get.  Many years ago I stopped playing a lot of golf, I was fed up.  Some of my buddies had already found that less golf as we were growing older, work family and the like, was a good formula to keep you motivated.  Even these days I sometimes can play 9 holes once a week but I don't, I wait for Saturday.

Now I see my Dad and his pals, all of them retired, playing everyday.  They are like robots.  Same shots, same mistakes, same complaints.  That is sheer out of habit. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 9:40 AM, naval2006 said:

I think it's necessary to find a balance so that you play a round with enough motivation.  What's happening to you OP is pretty common if you've played for a long time.  Life comes along so there better and worse moments to play the game.  I've been playing the game for many many years and I've also run for like 30 years now.  And there are times when you don't feel like doing it much, or the training, or a loss of interest in setting new goals.  You have to live with it.  It'll come back to you enventually.  Because not many people can do a difficult activity for so long with some relative success to the point of quitting.  

In my case I only play on Saturdays, we always play club tournaments on Sats and I practice  for 40 minutes two or three days a week.  My focus is always Saturday to have the best performance I can get.  Many years ago I stopped playing a lot of golf, I was fed up.  Some of my buddies had already found that less golf as we were growing older, work family and the like, was a good formula to keep you motivated.  Even these days I sometimes can play 9 holes once a week but I don't, I wait for Saturday.

Now I see my Dad and his pals, all of them retired, playing everyday.  They are like robots.  Same shots, same mistakes, same complaints.  That is sheer out of habit. 

I am like your Dad but semi-retired.  My flexibility is excellent.  My fitness is good and getting better.  The problem is my swing speed is about 89 mph.  I play from the blue tees although loads play from the white tees.  I am going to get Speed Sticks and keep working on fitness.  I may also get some lessons.  If I cannot get my club head speed up and my total distance past 220 yards then I may reduce my playing a lot.   I know it is short game, which is pretty good, but if I cannot increase distance somewhat - I am not improving,

I haven't read the entire thread, but the general sentiment is about apathy. I was just about to make a post like this myself.

I think I am beginning to get burnt out on playing the game. I still enjoy watching it and catching highlight videos on YouTube, and I even still enjoy going to my local course and chipping/putting around. However, rounds of golf aren't doing much for me anymore. I feel very apathetic on the golf course and there's really no "fire" left.

My golf "career" in a nutshell:

I've been playing since I was 3yo, won numerous club championships and local tourneys up until I left for college. My parents never supported golf in any way, with my mom going so far as to call it "stupid" for me to ever think I could play for a living. I was fortunate enough that my parents paid for college and I didn't have any debt, but that also meant I was made to go to college strictly for academics and even had to turn down an opportunity to play on one of the better collegiate teams in favor of a "better" and more "prestigious" school.

Throughout college I still traveled locally and nationally to play in the big amateur events that I could. It was tough as I had to travel alone and foot the bill for everything myself. There were many nights spent in a random city/state in a hotel by myself. Throughout these years at college I practiced and played a ton, always with the dream that I would make it to the PGA Tour and "prove everyone wrong." I definitely played with a chip on my shoulder and anger towards my past. I got down to my best ever handicap, +5, and was playing well. I didn't have money for lessons or coaching, so YouTube became my guide. It was tough going, but I was improving and had a goal. I played in numerous Monday qualifiers as a youngster and beat out a lot of great players in those rounds. When local tour events came to town, I would go to nearby courses and try to hook up with a PGA Tour player for a casual round to measure my skill against theirs, and I was neck-and-neck with some great players sometimes. Sometimes they'd let me play with them, other times I'd play right behind them as a single and act like we were coming down the stretch of a tournament. My #1 goal was to find some people to help "sponsor" my Q-School and maybe 1-year of golf after college so I could give it a real try. Breaking into the Pro ranks of golf is so expensive, I just couldn't take it to that next level on my own. My dream felt so close in so many ways.

Fast forward into the "real world" and things became tough. Free time dwindled with work and other obligations, golf became increasingly more expensive to maintain (during school I worked at my club and got unlimited free golf), and I started to not feel like I was capable of Q-School even if I somehow found the money. My now wife was very supportive of everything and even suggested ways we could reallocate money for a Q-School attempt, but that meant incredible sacrifices for her and risk for our future and I couldn't bring myself to do that to us. Whereas before I was playing and practicing multiple times a week, I was now only playing once on a Saturday morning and maybe the range once or twice a week. I was still playing well. I'd go 6-7 days without swinging a club, go straight to the first tee without a warmup, and would still fire a 66-72 round. I would always think, "man, imagine what I could do if I was able to have the time/money to practice full time and give this dream a shot. I'm so close, I just need the money and time."

Obviously, that dream never became a reality. Time went on, I continued to play once a week or sometimes even only once every other week. My game slowly got worse and worse, my easy 66's became 68's, then 70's, and so on. I shot an 80 for the first time in 10 years and, I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant, but that shocked my system.

The dream that once drove me and fueled the fire seems like such an absurd thing now. I half-joke with myself like "hey, there's always the Champions Tour in a few decades." My enjoyment of the game has dwindled significantly, and I feel like I try to reignite it by buying new clubs, tinkering with setups, trying to change anything in my game that will reignite my skill and passion. But, the reality is, I just don't get time to play anymore, and I have nothing to "play for" anymore.

I try to just go out and "have fun" with friends, but it's hard to play like a shell of your former ability. It's especially hard when people are "in awe" of my scratch level play when internally I'm disappointed I'm not my +5 or better self anymore. I feel a sense of guilt in a way that I am even disappointed with my game, almost like I should consider myself fortunate that I can barely play and still go shoot even par. Most people can't do that and I know golf is a hard, hard game, and I understand it's a gift and a blessing, but it's not that way for me.

It's like I'm still good enough where nothing on the golf course feels particularly challenging anymore, but I'm not good enough to give myself personal satisfaction or joy anymore either. And certainly not good enough to compete at the highest levels anymore. I never get mad on the golf course, I just sort of get "bummed out."

So what's there to do?

I've been contemplating a total "reset" of golf and stepping away from the game for a while. I'm thinking of selling all of my clubs and equipment and walking away. My golf game is stuck in a weird place of trying to move on to the future while holding onto the past. I think I need to give myself time away from the game to let go of my old dreams and create new ones. Maybe time away from playing will give me the space I need from the game to love it again. Maybe I'll find a new dream and goal, or even get reignited for my old dreams and have clarity on ways to achieve it. Maybe it'll have me walk away from the game altogether and appreciate the time I had with it. Who knows. But I can fully relate to feelings of apathy towards the game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I haven't read the entire thread, but the general sentiment is about apathy. I was just about to make a post like this myself.

I think I am beginning to get burnt out on playing the game. I still enjoy watching it and catching highlight videos on YouTube, and I even still enjoy going to my local course and chipping/putting around. However, rounds of golf aren't doing much for me anymore. I feel very apathetic on the golf course and there's really no "fire" left.

My golf "career" in a nutshell:

I've been playing since I was 3yo, won numerous club championships and local tourneys up until I left for college. My parents never supported golf in any way, with my mom going so far as to call it "stupid" for me to ever think I could play for a living. I was fortunate enough that my parents paid for college and I didn't have any debt, but that also meant I was made to go to college strictly for academics and even had to turn down an opportunity to play on one of the better collegiate teams in favor of a "better" and more "prestigious" school.

Throughout college I still traveled locally and nationally to play in the big amateur events that I could. It was tough as I had to travel alone and foot the bill for everything myself. There were many nights spent in a random city/state in a hotel by myself. Throughout these years at college I practiced and played a ton, always with the dream that I would make it to the PGA Tour and "prove everyone wrong." I definitely played with a chip on my shoulder and anger towards my past. I got down to my best ever handicap, +5, and was playing well. I didn't have money for lessons or coaching, so YouTube became my guide. It was tough going, but I was improving and had a goal. I played in numerous Monday qualifiers as a youngster and beat out a lot of great players in those rounds. When local tour events came to town, I would go to nearby courses and try to hook up with a PGA Tour player for a casual round to measure my skill against theirs, and I was neck-and-neck with some great players sometimes. Sometimes they'd let me play with them, other times I'd play right behind them as a single and act like we were coming down the stretch of a tournament. My #1 goal was to find some people to help "sponsor" my Q-School and maybe 1-year of golf after college so I could give it a real try. Breaking into the Pro ranks of golf is so expensive, I just couldn't take it to that next level on my own. My dream felt so close in so many ways.

Fast forward into the "real world" and things became tough. Free time dwindled with work and other obligations, golf became increasingly more expensive to maintain (during school I worked at my club and got unlimited free golf), and I started to not feel like I was capable of Q-School even if I somehow found the money. My now wife was very supportive of everything and even suggested ways we could reallocate money for a Q-School attempt, but that meant incredible sacrifices for her and risk for our future and I couldn't bring myself to do that to us. Whereas before I was playing and practicing multiple times a week, I was now only playing once on a Saturday morning and maybe the range once or twice a week. I was still playing well. I'd go 6-7 days without swinging a club, go straight to the first tee without a warmup, and would still fire a 66-72 round. I would always think, "man, imagine what I could do if I was able to have the time/money to practice full time and give this dream a shot. I'm so close, I just need the money and time."

Obviously, that dream never became a reality. Time went on, I continued to play once a week or sometimes even only once every other week. My game slowly got worse and worse, my easy 66's became 68's, then 70's, and so on. I shot an 80 for the first time in 10 years and, I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant, but that shocked my system.

The dream that once drove me and fueled the fire seems like such an absurd thing now. I half-joke with myself like "hey, there's always the Champions Tour in a few decades." My enjoyment of the game has dwindled significantly, and I feel like I try to reignite it by buying new clubs, tinkering with setups, trying to change anything in my game that will reignite my skill and passion. But, the reality is, I just don't get time to play anymore, and I have nothing to "play for" anymore.

I try to just go out and "have fun" with friends, but it's hard to play like a shell of your former ability. It's especially hard when people are "in awe" of my scratch level play when internally I'm disappointed I'm not my +5 or better self anymore. I feel a sense of guilt in a way that I am even disappointed with my game, almost like I should consider myself fortunate that I can barely play and still go shoot even par. Most people can't do that and I know golf is a hard, hard game, and I understand it's a gift and a blessing, but it's not that way for me.

It's like I'm still good enough where nothing on the golf course feels particularly challenging anymore, but I'm not good enough to give myself personal satisfaction or joy anymore either. And certainly not good enough to compete at the highest levels anymore. I never get mad on the golf course, I just sort of get "bummed out."

So what's there to do?

I've been contemplating a total "reset" of golf and stepping away from the game for a while. I'm thinking of selling all of my clubs and equipment and walking away. My golf game is stuck in a weird place of trying to move on to the future while holding onto the past. I think I need to give myself time away from the game to let go of my old dreams and create new ones. Maybe time away from playing will give me the space I need from the game to love it again. Maybe I'll find a new dream and goal, or even get reignited for my old dreams and have clarity on ways to achieve it. Maybe it'll have me walk away from the game altogether and appreciate the time I had with it. Who knows. But I can fully relate to feelings of apathy towards the game.

First off, don't feel like your take is in any way invalid. It's totally valid! In fact, it's probably accurate to argue yours is the only valid take when it comes to understanding your own personal life / story / struggle.

You're right to feel disappointed if your expectations are somewhere well beyond what others may say or think who don't know your history. It's natural to feel frustrated, angry and even depressed when you let yourself down in such a massive way. For some, it's a heavier burden that involves not just a bad score but the validation of a some separate narrative about what that bad score means. It can be a whole downward spiral. 

Contrary to what some may say about drinking beers with your buddies and the sun feeling good on your face, that's not how we all see the game. Quite frankly, I've got no interest in golf if I'm going to play horribly. Life's too short for bad anything. I'm not trying to spend time and money going out and frustrating myself because there's glory in it. There's not. I'm sorry, but that's just pointless. I know that for me, I go out hoping for something in the ~78 range and if I'm 10 strokes higher than that when I finish I go home feeling like an absolute failure. It sounds like you're feeling similar. 

What keeps me positive is knowing that things ebb and flow. Sometimes you have to work for what seems like an awful outcome. Other days it feels like you're being gifted a great score. How hard we try / focus isn't always the sole factor determining what happens. There are days I hate my job and days I can't believe I get to do it for a living. That's just life. 

What's helped my golf more recently is working on something. If you're too focused on the results it's probably time to get back to work. Having something that you're actually looking at (besides outcomes) can really help.  

Sounds to me like your expectations are out of whack relative to your game. So which is going to change? Are you going to relax your expectations? Well, that's easier said than done. Likewise, are you going to put in the work to meet your highest expectations? That may not even be possible at this stage of your life now. So you just have to figure out where you're at.

I don't know anyone who likes the regression of coming down from a personal peak, but I also don't know many people who don't grind to keep their skills at a level that make them satisfied with what they're doing. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Seems like a clear lesson for people like me who are just picking up the sport, is to enjoy the ride along the way of improving. Don't just hope to be better. But celebrate the improvements along the way.

For those getting burned out on it, other hobbies and other distractions might help.

I'm in Minnesota, and we can only golf a few month a year, so when spring hits, the hunger to get back out is palpable on it's own.

Maybe all of you need to move to snow-filled climates.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel for you. I used to get this way at the end of every season. I would hang it up in October and then get the itch back in January. Not saying this would work for you. What i am getting at this season my middle daughter picked up the game to a serious level. I now have a partner to play golf with that we arent out cause of golf only. We talk so many different things, make sure her game is ready for next match and what we will work on over the winter. I dont live in a 12 month golf area. when i play with her, things flow differently. I am into shots and love the feeling but it is not do or die now. It is a feeling of nice job, how is she hitting it. We feed off each other and it helps alot. 

To the point on vacation i used to setup multiple rounds with freinds. This season it will be with her, my BIL and a close freind. No money matches, i wasnt into them this year. I still play with my freind saturday morning and Thursday in my league. Which i enjoy more then ever now. Hope you figure it out!!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

On 9/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, Face The Facts said:

Seems like a clear lesson for people like me who are just picking up the sport, is to enjoy the ride along the way of improving. Don't just hope to be better. But celebrate the improvements along the way.

For those getting burned out on it, other hobbies and other distractions might help.

I'm in Minnesota, and we can only golf a few month a year, so when spring hits, the hunger to get back out is palpable on it's own.

Maybe all of you need to move to snow-filled climates.

Oh, man. The take-away is to be good early, LOL. Go get lessons and become as good as you possible can as early as possible. Most everyone reaches their potential by year 3 or 4 and after that it's all a letdown because the progress just stops coming. It's so easy to learn things and get better but after those first few years you're basically stuck being who you are. 

And that's what every one of us struggles against. I'm 34 so I'm still relatively young. I don't mind taking lessons now and incorporating new things to tighten up my swing. I don't mind practicing but ultimately, I'm doing things I should've taken more seriously and incorporated many years ago.  

I started on my own without lessons when I was about 22 and now, 12 years later, I'm still working to improve my fundamentals. In essence, I'm not as good as I should be for how much I play and practice. The first few years were really efficient and I got down to where I could break 80, but since (and it's scary to think it's been 8 or so years) things have pretty much leveled out. I'm still the same guy who'll shoot somewhere between 75 and 90 depending on how things go. 

The lesson of golf is IMHO simply that it's really, really hard. And if you want it to be fun you need to have low expectations relative to your abilities. That's also really, really hard to achieve. Your expectations will grow rapidly over those first few years leaving you in a place where a lot of us live wherein we expect the best and seem to almost always come up short. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS