EPON AF 706 in hand photos

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love my Inherited AF-703s - literally may never play another iron. Surprised not more Epon love on these forums. Best feeling gi iron imho.

I finished my testing this weekend and purchased the Epon AF-706.  Fujikura Pro shafts.  Lamkin Sonar grips.  Should be ready in two weeks.

Custom ordered from TRUEFIT Clubs. I got the Project X Catlyst 60 6.0 graphite shafts in them. They were built to play at a regular flex. I bought them during a June Special 15% off custom clubs so I got a pretty good deal. Bonus is that Truefit clubs does not charge tax outside of Colorado. I'm in California so I saved another 8% on that. Plus free shipping. Took a couple of weeks to build and then 3 days shipping.

I have a set on order from Club Champion. The lofts are really STRONG.. Did you order yours STANDARD lofts?? What was your round(s) like with them?? They had a distinctive 'whack" sound at the indoor fitting bay. I would think that would be a little muted outdoors??? How was turf interaction, distances spin and trajectory ???

What iron set did they replace???

TXS EBE

I ordered with standard lofts. They replaced a set of XXIO Black Forged Irons. I get about 1 club more distance. The sound is great. My playing partners have said they can tell when I pure it by the sound the club makes. They are not buttery soft but great feel for GI irons. I have the Catalyst graphite shafts in them so I get a nice mid trajectory. I think I'll be keeping these for a long time. If I make a half way decent swing I get good results. I have flown the green a couple of times with the wedges as they are so easy to hit and strong lofted. I have to adjust my distance with them. The wedges are my favorite clubs on the set. As far as spin, I play Bridgestone BX balls and they land and spin a little on a good strike. Great set of clubs. They check all the boxes I was looking for. The XXIO were great clubs but the heads were a lot smaller than the 706. I need all the help I can get with irons.

They look very Chunky..... The Sole looks very wide so I'm sure they inspire confidence. I am surprised you say they aren't buttery soft but maybe they are a multi-piece iron with a face insert ??

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping Anser 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Mizuno T20 50 , 54 , 58  N.S. Pro Wedge 115 
EVNROLL ER2 Mid Blade Black with Gravity Grip
Titleist Pro V-1X

That makes sense similar to the current OnOff Kuro Irons. I was tempted to try them but it's an expensive blind taste test .

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping Anser 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Mizuno T20 50 , 54 , 58  N.S. Pro Wedge 115 
EVNROLL ER2 Mid Blade Black with Gravity Grip
Titleist Pro V-1X

I looked and demoed The Miura 301's when at Club Champs. Was looking for a little more game enhancement, larger foot print, ball speed and smash factor. The Epons 706 gave all of that and dont look BIG CHUNKEY at address. Yes the sole is a little J Lo but I don't play dirt tracks. Yes they don't feel / sound Epon forged but they are. They have a WACK sound so that's probably interferes with a forged feel. Still wafting but got message from CC that they are being built.

I've ordered mine down under. It's an expensive experiment but I am confident that it will work out. I went to a fitter and hit all sorts of US clubs and was fitted to a Nippon 950 GH shaft in stiff. None of the heads really did anything for me in terms of improved forgiveness etc, except the ping 710, but I couldn't get over the black finish and the upcharge for the shaft. Which ended up pushing the price over $300 a stick AUD. I decided I wanted something different and contacted the epon agent in Aus and after some deliberation and discussion I've decided to go ahead and order the 706s to my specifications. I have not hit them before, only the 705s, then in Melbourne Australia we got locked down and I'm not allowed to leave my area (3 mile limit) for 6 weeks and interstate travel is restricted. So in my lockdown 2.0 state I've decided to push the button and go for the 706s. I have no doubt in my mind that they'll work out and be the club for me. Ive always wanted a forged feeling GI club....they are kind of giving me something to look forward to......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got to a fitter to replace my old set of irons.  I had the Epon AF-706 on the list.  Tried a ton of clubs; Miura IC-601, Honma TW X, Taylormade P790, Taylormade P790 TI, Titliest T400, Srixon 585, Mizuno 921 Hot Metal, and the Epon AF-705.  The fitter did not have the 706 head but if I liked the 705 he said he would get it in.

Best clubs for me; 1) the EPON AF-705 and 2) Taylormade P790 TI.  I had my best shot of the day as far as the statistics were concerned with the AF-705.  The club was not as long as the P790 TI which was really good except the spin was a little lower than we would have liked.   My fitter used Trackman and sent me the report afterward.  In the report you can look at a lot of information.  I clicked on the optimizer section for each of the clubs and the AF-705 was spot on in every category, except a little low on spin.  But for me the best performing club for spin.

He is going to get the AF-706 head and put it up against the P790 TI and the Mizuno 921 forged.  The Mizuno Hot Metal was inconsistent in performance for me.  So he thought the forged model may be a good test against the others.  The AF-706 is a completely different club from the AF-705 since it is hollow body.  We shall see.

Any more feedback on the performance out on the course?

i have tested the EPON AF 705 and it is really a good iron. Really keen on either the 705 vs 706. Would appreciate feedback from you once you hit them.

1 hour ago, theebdk said:

Finally got to a fitter to replace my old set of irons.  I had the Epon AF-706 on the list.  Tried a ton of clubs; Miura IC-601, Honma TW X, Taylormade P790, Taylormade P790 TI, Titliest T400, Srixon 585, Mizuno 921 Hot Metal, and the Epon AF-705.  The fitter did not have the 706 head but if I liked the 705 he said he would get it in.

Best clubs for me; 1) the EPON AF-705 and 2) Taylormade P790 TI.  I had my best shot of the day as far as the statistics were concerned with the AF-705.  The club was not as long as the P790 TI which was really good except the spin was a little lower than we would have liked.   My fitter used Trackman and sent me the report afterward.  In the report you can look at a lot of information.  I clicked on the optimizer section for each of the clubs and the AF-705 was spot on in every category, except a little low on spin.  But for me the best performing club for spin.

He is going to get the AF-706 head and put it up against the P790 TI and the Mizuno 921 forged.  The Mizuno Hot Metal was inconsistent in performance for me.  So he thought the forged model may be a good test against the others.  The AF-706 is a completely different club from the AF-705 since it is hollow body.  We shall see.

Any more feedback on the performance out on the course?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally Club Champion built my Epon 706's. I also have the Fujikura Pro shaft. Have about 7-8 rounds with them now. Keep getting better and better. They definaltely deliver on increased length and height. I was hitting my Titleist T200 8 iron 150 when purred. 

Epon 8 iron is at least 160 and has streached out to 165. Never in recent years have I had that kind of distance and the height is b  

My clubs came in a bit early and I now have 2.5 rounds with them.  I am really enjoying them but still getting used to the clubs, especially the distances.  They are easy to hit.  It has been getting colder here and has been damp/wet so the greens have been soft. 

The peak height and distance are amazing.  I now have more confidence to go after some back pins that are tucked behind our large bunkers.  So far they are really holding the greens.  But I have not played with them in dry conditions when the greens are very fast. 

They also feel different than my old clubs.  I can tell a bit more from feel and sound when I hit them close to the sweet spot.  Appreciate that they are two piece forged but coming from cast my entire playing life, I really enjoy that feel and sound.

I went with the six iron through the transition wedge.  Did not get the 5 iron since my 4 hybrid seems to gap nicely with the six.  On the bottom of the bag I need to replace my old gap, sand and lob wedges.  I have my eye on those edison wedges and will probably pull the trigger soon.

Thanks Theebdk

for your 2 round feed back on your 706's.. I also just went transition wedge (TW) through 6 iron. Which was good decision because I've carried the 6-I 185 a few times. Never have I had that kind of 6I distance. So the 6 gaps right up to my 4 hybrid which I can carry 195 to 205+.  With the  TW I changed the bottom of the bag wedges from 58* & 52* to 56* & 50*... working out just fine... 

I went with the NEW FH forged V1 Fourteen wedges.. The soul grind is perfect if I want to lay it open to a 58* +...... If you haven't tried the 14's you might consider????