JDM iron brand of choice... Miura, Honma, or Epon?

jjfcpa

Miura:

I've played the "Y" grind wedges (54 and 59 degrees) for two years. Have a Miura PW (sort of a trial balloon).

About to replace my Mizuno 4-PW with a set of Miura forged cavity backs (they're all forged, of course).

Reasons: (last one listed most important)

I like the feel (maybe it's in my head)Classic shapes and looks, no frillsI like the mystique and hand-grinding heritage, Miura-san and sons legacy (hey, golf is a "heady" game, we're all a bit nutty)*** I THINK they well might have the best combination of a) some forgiveness but still b) having the desirable Miura feel.***You'll get rich content with the feedback, I think. (You'd get tons of great input from existing postings...just Google "GolfWRXers, reviews, Miura XXXX" -- for XXXX, list the names of models, such as CB-57, CB 1008, CB 301, TC 201 etc. Certain models have cult status (Baby Blades' owners the most emphatic!)

Good luck!

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

Miura.

• CB301, CB57, Hand Grind, and Raw Tour Milled •

• CB1008, Baby Blade, CB57, and Hand Grind •

• MCW TB000 •

• CB301, CB57, Baby Blade, and Hand Grind •

.... KM 007, 008, and 350 all down in the shop for work ....

IMG_20201108_101437586.jpg

IMG_20201108_101450620.jpg

IMG_20201108_101500346.jpg

IMG_20201108_101508363.jpg

Edited by EaglesGolf99

Best is so subjective honestly. Lot of Miura love here but plenty of Epon folks who know what they got too. The hard part is trying them out since they are all far from wide spread in the US. I have not had a chance to swing a Honma or Epon but from others feedback they have some good models that I would likely enjoy. I personally am more interested in players forged CB irons. Blades are blades (wrx blasphemy I know) and that debate will never end here.

I was able to swing a bunch of Miura models at a 2nd swing and ended up with some CB1008s and yes they have a very unique feel that is hard to describe. Its a beautiful club to my eye and in my holiday bag. The even had a set of baby blades which I looked at, noted the lovely small heads, and promptly put back on the rack.

Wedges are a different cup of tea but I also have a few slightly used Miuras that I may like even more then the CBs. One has worked its way into my regular bag and punted a MD4 for now.

Go swing some, and see how your like them. Report back your thoughts here when you do :D

I also play CB-1008. It really depends on what kind of feel you're after. Miura very much is the "solid soft" that people describe. I've hit the Tournament Blades, MB001, MC 501, MB 101, CB57, and my own Cb-1008. They all feel amazing in their own right. Personally, I like an iron to feel powerful but soft. These deliver that. I had MP20 blades from Mizuno but those felt like you were actually hitting foam golf balls when pured. Some like that feeling, I like to know I hit the ball hard. The best description I've heard of Miura is a that they like hitting a chocolate covered ice cream cone haha. Now, I would say that for OP who likes things just about as forgiving as they can get I'm not sure how the more GI models will play. Miura overall is pretty demanding - The CB 301 for instance I think work better as long iron replacements for the better player or for the player that traps it a bit and needs less loft to lower spin. I'm around 95 mph with 7 iron usually. I'm going through a swing change and have throttled back a bit but generally speaking I think that Epon GI might be a better call for a slower golfer.

As the OP, I can't really say I'm looking for new clubs, just investigating with the idea of someday perhaps trying a forged set. I currently have some CF19's and Honma XP-1's. The Honma, while not forged, have a very solid and enduring feel to them. Much different than the CF19's. The CF19's sort of have a whack when you hit them pure, where as the Honma's have a reassuring smack and they definitely have what appears to be a bigger sweet spot... however, I normally don't have trouble finding the center of the face.

I looked at the Epon 706's and they are just off putting because of the size of the heads. Almost look like hybrid irons. I think the 505's were much better looking and probably something that would work for me.

In the Miura's I was thinking the 501's would be more in line with what I'd adapt to. A fitter that I contacted suggested the 201's but those might not provide the forgiveness that I'm looking for.

I would also take a look at the Honma 720P's, but not sure that is even a forged iron.

Thoughts?

201's should be more forgiving than the 501.

TSR3 Tensei 1K White 60tx 

TM SiM2 Ti 15 Fuji Ventus Black 7x
TSR2 21 Tensei AV White 85tx
Artisan FC 4, HC 5-7, MB 8-pw DG TI 120 X-100 
Artisan "MT" Raw  52, 56 & 60
Artisan "Texas Crude" SS Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan "Oxidado" Carbon Mid-Slant 0117, Artisan SS Mid-Slant 0117

Pro V1

Are there any retailers near you that carry high end product? I got my Miuras for a good price and reshafted them. No chance I'd ever buy new without a thorough outdoor Trackman fitting with real balls. Seriously. They are just too much money not to get it bang on perfect.

Playing the 1008 now, no chance I'd go near something like 201 or 501 aside from maybe 8-PW at a slower SS and higher cap. They're "forgiving" for a low HC players club but not actually forgiving in any real way. I have a launch monitor and have "tested" miss hits purposefully (which I realize is impossible to do consistently and properly as far as data collection goes) but essentially if you hit it a good bit out the toe or heel you'll lose +/- 7-8 mph ball speed. I'm not talking missing the grooves just a touch toe or heel.

As you can see there because of the head weights that actually have reasonable MOI, but even the Passing Point which is quite GI compared to their other irons is still "conventional". CG is not super low so you'll have to have some speed to get good height. FWIW I think the best way to test would be to grab something like this --> https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-1249778757-miura-pp-9003-straight-neck-single-iron-6-iron-fst-kbs-tour-steel-regular-right-handed-3775-in.aspx

And hit it on some par 3s etc.

• Like 1

I mean.. it’s reg flex you could at least hit it to tell. I tested out my Miuras with 110 graphite when I play 130g X. I’m sure you could hit the ball with my clubs fine you just wouldn’t want to game them over a season. Fine for testing IMO. Gives you a rough idea of address confidence, feel, turf interaction etc. Not that throwing a graphite shaft in one club would be much of an issue

i have a first love in some honma blades from the late 90’s. Tried to get myself into the 737v, but that excitement was short-lived.

80250df9-72d4-4b5b-911b-e6960fb9beb5.jpeg

got fit into a set of Miura cb1008 that I absolutely love, but also had a chance to try some Epon irons. The Epons felt great but the numbers told me otherwise. I recommend getting fitted at club champion or a fitter w all sets available. from wedges to driving iron, I’m rocking w Miura. Gluck w your search

62d85ad7-6f11-4bad-a870-9e36b55a05a4.jpeg

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

OP I would not worry too much about flex when demoing: weight is more important. I bet you can swing a A,R or S fine but make you range from 130g down to 80g and things may get ugly fast :)

There is no real free lunch unfortunately: the better feels of the solid forgings are what they are. There is a bit of tech in there, but don't expect miracles. I am just starting to use my new Mevo+ for data and so far I am seeing the CB1008 perform as it should: its a CB players club and despite me thinking the P770 was a bit more forgiving (and the tungsten may be in the very low irons) my comparison of 7irons showed that they performed near the same, strike dictating that 3-5y top end of performance. Spin and balls peed were so similar, CHS on swings within 1 MPH. Next up is my 6i test where I can add in a P790 as well.

IMHO, that is a cross over when going to hollow body irons and face technologies they are there to retain ball speed better. Its not absolute: that toe hit is going to lose speed. It just may lose only 5mph on the P790 vs 10 on the P770. Its a better miss 9 times out of 10 but its still a miss. If 4/5 of your swings are only a few mm off center, both clubs are going to perform for you 80% of the time and its that one swing that is meh, do you want the added forgiveness of the tech or are you OK with the meh swing and work on your short game a bit more?

Forged Irons I have used:

Honma TW 737V

Miura CB 57

Have not tried the Epon clubs. I prefer the Miuras over the Honmas, design wise and feel. I will add that the Bridgestone J33 CBs which I believed were Endo forged are just as good as the Miuras. Still have the Miuras and Bridgestones, sold the Honmas.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m currently gaming the Miura CB-1008. I have nothing but praises for them. 

They look fantastic and feel even better (as soft as the Mizunos).

I’d recommend anyone to pick up a set. 

Sidenote: im playing Honma driver and rescue. One simply can’t match the sound of a Honma driver. That “ping” sound is ever so satisfying, something Beethoven would approve (if he could hear it, of course. rip, king Bee🙏🏻

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i've been a tourstage fan for years., MB's with NSpro 950

had the xblade 909 with modus which i sold as i dont practice as much and wanted a more forgivng club, i am now on a 709CB and took a while to get use to the bigger head but you will forget it as it is very forgiving compared to MB's. 

miura's i hae not tried , had a honma but sold right away as it didnt fit my eye on address. 

16 hours ago, coco888 said:

i've been a tourstage fan for years., MB's with NSpro 950

had the xblade 909 with modus which i sold as i dont practice as much and wanted a more forgivng club, i am now on a 709CB and took a while to get use to the bigger head but you will forget it as it is very forgiving compared to MB's. 

miura's i hae not tried , had a honma but sold right away as it didnt fit my eye on address. 

Try OnOff forged irons 2011, 2013, 2015 are all good and they are all butter soft, easy to hit and long, only small complaint about them is the top line is just a tad chunky on them but other than that they are pretty close to perfect.  The Callaway Legacy Black (Stenson) irons are also incredible irons as are several Yamaha and PRGR models I have tried.  I love the 909 and 709 and X-blade/Tourstage irons in general but all the irons I just mentioned are much easier to hit and yet still look like a players cb should look.  

20151115_021855.jpg

20160114_170830.jpg

• Like 2

Can Srixon join this party? LOL

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

• 2 weeks later...

I have either tested or gamed all 3 brands.  I game the Vega VDC-01 currently and they've been in my bag for almost a decade.  Would highly recommend.  As for the JDM brands you listed here is my order.

1. Miura

2. Honma

3. Epon

Honestly, they are very close and you can't go wrong with any of them.  Recent Honma offerings are cheaper than the other 2 brands so that may be something to consider.  If money isn't an issue, then go with the Miuras.  You won't be disappointed.  I have 2 Miura wedges and they are sweet. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 3:42 PM, jjfcpa said:

As the OP, I can't really say I'm looking for new clubs, just investigating with the idea of someday perhaps trying a forged set. I currently have some CF19's and Honma XP-1's. The Honma, while not forged, have a very solid and enduring feel to them. Much different than the CF19's. The CF19's sort of have a whack when you hit them pure, where as the Honma's have a reassuring smack and they definitely have what appears to be a bigger sweet spot... however, I normally don't have trouble finding the center of the face.

I looked at the Epon 706's and they are just off putting because of the size of the heads. Almost look like hybrid irons. I think the 505's were much better looking and probably something that would work for me.

In the Miura's I was thinking the 501's would be more in line with what I'd adapt to. A fitter that I contacted suggested the 201's but those might not provide the forgiveness that I'm looking for.

I would also take a look at the Honma 720P's, but not sure that is even a forged iron.

Thoughts?

The Honma TR20 P is a multi piece pocket forged iron.  S20 steel all the way around but forged in separate pieces and then assembled to create the "pocket".  Add in a tungsten weight and Bobs your uncle.  Forgiving and Hot.  But with all the forged butter you need for your toast.

There's so many good choices on the JDM iron front. In a perfect world you'd be able to test several options but the shops who carry a range of JDM are pretty limited. If you ever make it out to San Diego swing my Fairway golf, they carry a massive selection of JDM and have plenty of demos available. 

For me personally I've been playing Miura the last few years. Currently have 2 sets, a straight set of cb-1008 and a mixed set with TC-201 in the 3-4-5 and MC-501 6-7-8-9. Couldn't be happier with both.

If you're not dead set on a JDM set in the sense of it being less available in US based retailers, I'd give Srixon or Bridgestone a look, they have some severely underrated offerings in their forged players models. If you're set on those three brands you're not going to find a bad choice, but finding the right choice may be a struggle if you're buying blind. Sole's will be the x-factor between them, in terms of feel and forgiveness they won't be that drastically different. I've been fortunate to hit all three of these but ended up going with the Miura, largely because I found a great deal on a barely used set.  

Edited by Josh L.
  • Like 1

I have tourney blades, MB001, MC501, cb-1008, and numerous baby blades shafted in x100's to AMTs to LZ6.0s.  I use to hit the Miura wedge series and think they are great.  

I currently switch back and forth between ping blueprints in LZs and the BB's in the LZs.    

I think Miura is great.  They only change if they figure out a better mouse trap, kind of like ping.  Ping isn't dominated by the 1-2 year new model cycle.  

I'll say this: every Miura I have, I really think is top notch.  Each has it's own 'offset' and top line but none that I own have extreme offset and I really don't see much of a huge difference b/t them (of course the MC and CB are more offset but again, playability wise, it is negligible).  

I also have a set of Kyoei KK raws.  I will say nothing comes close to how soft these are and the weird grind on them, well it just works for my course.  They are unreal.  I do hit them about a 1/2 club less with the exact lofts as my miuras (I have a digital loft/lie machine and set all the blades to miuras BB loft profile).   

I agree with most everyone on this thread--you just gotta decide for yourself.   

The kyoei's are really silly soft.  The Miuras are solid and great.  The ping blueprints--I'd put the solidness against any club out there.