Starting my own workshop/club repair business! Tips, recommendations etc

Hello- I have decided to build a workshop/club business in my garage.

I know this has been covered before here but can someone please tell what me else I would need to get started other than:

Swing weight Scale

A good Torch

Glue

A good workbench

Grinder

Lie machine

Replacement Grips/Shafts

Replacement Adapters

Tip weights

Also- obviously if you think this is not a good idea- please let me know your thoughts. thanks!

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i could not have said this better myself, so going this direction has to be about enthusiasm, NOT money, they will come way easier any other way than trough club making, but i cant see any have mentio

As someone who has a shop I would highly recommend starting with a small setup to do your own work. It's fun and you can make sure it's done correctly. You can also still help friends out with build

I have a full golf workshop at home and consider myself pretty good now. But I'd never consider opening to the public, mainly for the infringement on my lifestyle. Golfers are generally cheap and "w

So you intend to give up golfing then.

It will take you 2 years to become decent at repairs and good enough where you can legitimately consider charging money. Any monkee can glue up clubs. It takes experience and time to become a craftsman and a clubmaker. If you develop any kind of notoriety and credibility in the golf community you will find the demands of getting repairs done expeditiously leave you no time for golf. That's why I no longer do it other than for myself and a couple of people. When I retire from work, I might do some more of it, but I doubt it.

You will need a local source for shafts and other parts or bite the bullet and start ordering in bulk and on spec. When guys want something fixed, they don't want to wait while FedEx delivers the parts to you. They want it for tomorrows golf game so you better have it on hand or can get it in an hour or so.

Sit down and go through some catalogues and price everything out. Unless you have a lot of tools you are going to find a big bill is in store for you. A Lie Loft machine alone is going to set you back $1400 or so. I stocked a small amount of specialty ferrules and adaptor parts and many were totally on spec. Along with other ferrules, I bet I had a $1000 in ferrules/adaptors just sitting there waiting for the right customer. I still have most of them because OEM's change stuff and make inventory obsolete within a short period. I likely have about $4000 in tools and that doesn't include a freq. analyzer or some of the higher tech stuff.

This is not a money maker. You will spend way more than you can earn for quite a while.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Going to disagree with some of the above. You don't need to have a crazy inventory of shafts and grips, ferrules etc. Yes, you need some basics but at this point there are so many shaft companies making so many models in so many weights and finishes that nobody is going to have all that in stock. People will have to wait longer than a 24h turnaround if they want it done right. That leads to the second point however which is you better know your stuff and be better at it than anyone at the local PGA SS or whatever local big box offering club repair. I realize that this is a pretty low bar in many cases but still should be said. Also make sure you keep up to date with current equipment to know what is out there. There are not enough good club makers out there these days so make sure you're a good one.

As far as tools you need,

Drill- at least one, two is better

Vise-

Shaft clamp- personally think this should be separate from your vise for doing grips or assorted tasks

Cutting tool- Chop saw, or similar

Shaft puller- decent one runs around $150

Loft Lie Machine- You don't need to spend $1200 on one, but will probably need to spend $700 for a good reliable one.

Torch and heat gun-

SW scale-

Shop vac, utility knives, scissors, tape, sandpaper, files, 48 inch ruler.

Stuff you don't need-

Frequency machine- waste of money, don't bother unless you just want a tool that looks cool.

Grinder- Not going to use it much, and you need to be really good with it if you are.

I am sure I am forgetting stuff but.

You need a wide assortment of hand tools (files, screwdrivers, hammers), drills, drill press (and a tool to hold heads so you can use a drill press), easy-outs, knives, scrapers and god knows what else. Bench grinder with buffing wheels are essential. As is a cut-off machine and a belt sander and a ferrule turning machine if you are going to do more than a couple of clubs a week.

Disagree on the ferrules. You have to have most of the current OEM ferrules on hand and plenty of generic ones. You also have to have the knowledge to take a ferrule that doesn't work and cut, drill, trim or whatever to make it work when you don't have it on hand and you need one now. If you don't have stuff right there and then, they aren't going to wait a a day or two while you get one. They are going straight to that big box store or someone else.

You also need to know what it possible and what is impossible. Lots of people have wild ideas on what they want and you have to know that it can't be done or can't be done. I've told lots of people flat out that what they want to do is impossible or will cost them way more than they are prepared to pay for.

You also have to be prepared to lay out cash in advance to buy shafts and/or grips when someone wants to put new shafts and grips in a set of heads. Or be prepared to pay to replace something like a driver head you just damaged because you dropped it. Or you were putting on a new grip on a customers new driver with a $600 shaft and you crack it in the vise and he's looking right at you.

• Like 1

MCC Align Midsize

i could not have said this better myself, so going this direction has to be about enthusiasm, NOT money, they will come way easier any other way than trough club making, but i cant see any have mentioned SKILLS and knowledge about club making and club repair in general, thats not included in the box with the tools...do you have whats needed there?

Inventory...as low as possible, club making supplies like tip weights ferrules and tape YES, but shafts and grips will break your financial neck very fast, and you want be running a "ambulance service", so you will have the time to get whats needed for each job.

If your thinking was to make this a full time job for a living...reconsider that, its no harder ways to make a living than trough club making, and like Socrates starts with, you will NOT have much time on your hands to play Golf yourself after you have started, so make sure you will love this just as much as playing or even more before you make it more than a hobby. Its no contradiction in having this as a hobby and make a few bucks now and then, its a whole different ball game if you plan to make it a living.

• Like 3

Howard_Jones said it well.

I have been building and repairing clubs as a hobby for more than a decade. I have many of the tools needed, including a quality iron bending machine. Regripping, reshafting, building sets accurately and other basic elements are simple enough, but even now, I do not feel I have enough knowledge to open a shop that I could make a living with.

I have read Tom Wishon's books, many parts more than once or twice, participated on the excellent tech forum the Wishon site had and have learned much, but like many other crafts, this one takes years to excel at.

In this craft, at this point I consider myself adequate to good. I have had moments of excellence, but that will come consistently only as I continue to develop my skills.

You may have far more experience and exposure to this craft than I and this induscty surely could use more quality fitters and repair, build and rebuild shops as the old guard is retiring.

Best of luck as you pursue this endeavor. .

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3w  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 775HS  3 hybrid  Wishon Black Hybrid Stiff

4-G  PXG 0211  DG 105 Regular

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PXG 0311  60*  TT Elevate 95 Stiff

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

As someone who has a shop I would highly recommend starting with a small setup to do your own work. It's fun and you can make sure it's done correctly. You can also still help friends out with builds and make some extra cash.

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

I agree 100%. While I don't see myself opening a shop, I love this as a hobby. I enjoy making my clubs work for me and helping friends with repairs and/or builds. Maybe once in a while I'll get a round of golf out of helping someone out and for now that's plenty for me. In a few years, when I retire perhaps my basic skills will help me get a part time gig in a pro shop somewhere. That would be really cool.

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3w  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 775HS  3 hybrid  Wishon Black Hybrid Stiff

4-G  PXG 0211  DG 105 Regular

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PXG 0311  60*  TT Elevate 95 Stiff

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I'm not going to say you can't do decent repairs with minimal equipment because you can.

Knife, drill drill bits, epoxy, sandpaper, torch and a 48" ruler.

Buy yourself a few tools like a SW machine and shaft extractor and do stuff for yourself and a few friends. That will save you money on repairs and leave you time to play some golf.

• Like 1

MCC Align Midsize

"Just found out that a Fitting/building shop opening in my area 2 miles away. Well, there goes that."

My two cents for what it is worth. Having my own small home shop for over 6 years now and doing on and off club work, as a Class A PGA professional for many years these are some of the things I have learned. You could still go ahead even if there will be someone else only two miles away, but only if you really want to do it. But the first thing I would do would be to invest in going to one of the repair schools such as Golfworks or Mitchell. Well worth it. Videos and such are good but hands on is 1000 times better and save time and $$ and your reputation by being able to produce quality right away. You can budget to spend $4-6,000 for the school and everything else including a small inventory of grips and shafts etc. to get started, more or less.

Golfworks offers two different packages for complete shop startups which either one would be more than sufficient to get started. You can add more later if needed. You can open an account with them and receive discounts if you get a business license, if not you will pay advertised prices which is what I do as I work as a sole proprietor. I also look for clearance and on sale shafts, supplies etc. from the different online places. I recently bought several new DG wedge shafts (Cleveland sticker. easy to take off) for $2 each and the same with putter shafts, the two most likely shafts to be replaced. I usually carry about 6-7 different grip types in stock for full sets (some less expensive ones for the budget minded), and about the same in putter grips and re-order as needed. If someone needs say a five iron shaft, I will let them know in advance that I will have to order it and it might be a week or so and no one has complained yet as in reality they broke it and are responsible. Many people will bring you their shafts, grips etc. to put on. Another thing I have learned is if they want a $300-400 shaft let them order it so as not to get stuck with it or the hassle of returning it as sometimes things come up and the customer backs out. This keeps your inventory levels manageable.

As far as getting business, you can go to several courses and talk to them and see if they have someone doing their club work or not and if you can put up fliers etc. Another thing I have done is to talk with the HS and Middle School coaches and offer to do the juniors work for cost, They are growing so lengths etc. need constantly adjusting. It brings in their parents and buddies. Your imagination and $$ allowance is the only variable in increasing shop flow. I am not really in it for the $$ and sometimes it will eat up your weekends or have to work late nights but it is fun and satisfying. And the extra little bit of $$ is also good with three teenagers!

Want to make a small fortune as a clubmaker? Start with a large fortune. (sorry, ripoff joke)

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I’ll just echo what the several pros have already said and add that if you have to ask what tools you need you really have no business charging other people money for club work.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

They had shared their experience and all valid points.

Especially the starting small part.

Just want to add one thing, eventually, you'll have to look into coverage for error and omission. All components these day are so expensive, one mistake will set you back a long way if you do not have the coverage for error and omission. Ask your insurance representative, some home policy will cover this is you do not have a full fledged business front. $600 head and $800 shaft will be difficult to swallow. Think how many rounds of green fees equal to that ?

Even when doing your "friends" a favor, they'll need to understand that things could break and sometimes things broke already before it got to your hands. One time I pulled a shaft from a 3 wood and it came out with the tip cracked. It was a aftermarket reshaft before it got to me. Hate to point the finger at the previous installer for possible negligence , but that's life. Lucky the shaft was not too expensive and the "friend" was going to put in a new shaft anyway, so that one became a tomato stick.

Insurance isn't going to cover a F'up where you cut a shaft wrong or scratched someones head. The bigger question is whether they will cover you if a club snaps in two and the head goes crashing into something or someone?

I've got a hobby building bicycle frames and I refuse to build for anyone but myself or family and friends. As soon as you take money for the job and someone does bodily injury while using your product you can be on the hook big time.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I have a full golf workshop at home and consider myself pretty good now. But I'd never consider opening to the public, mainly for the infringement on my lifestyle. Golfers are generally cheap and "want-it-now". No thanks, I'll just stick to my own building and the odd jobs for friends, on my schedule, my terms.

• Like 2

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 18* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with Accra FX300H
Srixon ZX7 / ZX5 4-GW with Steelfiber i110cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* Full with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw
Set #3: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw
Set #4: MP-4 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

I have the same thing going now, but the "network" of friends and family continues to grow... friends of friends, etc. The MOI/MBI thing has also attracted work that I've done for fellow WRX'ers and that's become a bit of a specialty build option that continues to grow.

If you're going to "hang your shingle" as a builder then I think it's important that you go into it for the right reasons and enjoy the process. I really like helping golfers improve their games through properly fit and built equipment. I don't think I'll ever do it for the money, but I make sure my time and expenses are covered.

Good choice, and you are perfectly right about the players in general, its a VERY long distance between those who are willing to pay what a quality build should cost, and ive always compared this to all other craftsmen like carpenters, plumbers or what ever. True knowledge and "education" in club fitting and club making is LONGER than 3 years full time, tools needed cost the same or more then for both plumbers and electricians or carpenters, and non of them have a inventory. But still, if you try to charge something thats close to any of them......haha, we all know the response to that.

Keep it a hobby, only crazy folks goes into this full time, and if i saw this facts better then i did back then, i would never have opened a shop for the public. Nothing has taken more of my time than this, and nothing has payed off with less, so im happy to say that now im just an amateur, i should have kept it that way.

The OP of this tread did not even know what tools that was needed, and that tells he dont have the skills or needed knowledge either, so the best advice for him is forget it, unless the plan was to make it a hobby only, but it sounded like a business idea to make a living, and thats not a good idea at all.

If the recession in economy dont turn soon, we will also see a LARGE drop in the number of people playing Golf, and that waive will close more courses and shops for equipment all over the globe. Just look at the large OEMs now, is any of them making money? Hobbyists will survive this, most professionals want, thats my thinking about the future here.

• Like 1