Spanish Oaks, Comanche Trace, Cordillera Ranch, Cimarron Hills Golf, Summit Rock

DandyDon

Thinking about moving out to HIll Country and interested in joining a private club. I am from out of state, and figure its a great place to meet people. I am actually going to stay at Cordillera for a couple of days, and then stay in Horseshoe Bay for a couple. Any thoughts on the quality of courses, how they are run etc. from anyone who has played at any of these courses or who are members? This is my first trip out there, so I am going to attempt to see as much as possible. Thank you in advance.

Spanish Oaks is a nice track and the caddies are a great touch. The members think it's AGNC though. 125k they'd love to have ya. I enjoyed Comanche Trace, pretty long track but well kept. didnt find the facilities overly nice, but thought the course was fun. Havent played the other two. Also, pretty good distance between spanish and CT, but assume you know that.

I’ve never played any of them but am very intrigued by these high end “rural” clubs and have done a lot of research.

My only thought to add would be that Cimarron and Spanish oaks are very much more in Austin than the others. You will be contending with Austin traffic and “Austin type” of people (see comment about ANGC and Spanish oaks). Without being to contentious and taking broad authority in speaking for most Texans, Austin is much more loved by people from out of state as well as the people that live in that bubble, than it is by the rest of Texans.

The others that have been mentioned are in smaller and very cool hill country towns. Based on what I’ve gathered and if boot ranch is over the limit (which you should probably take a closer look at because all these courses and properties are freaking expensive), Cordillera ranch is the way to go. It’s got the best reputation and the most activities. You are also fairy centralized in the Boerne area and can easily make it to Austin and SA for day trips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

not sure if you have made any progress here or not but HSB is actually 4 courses (assuming you go platinum to get access to Summit) and all the courses are always in perfect condition and all have bent grass greens, which is a rarity in central Texas.  Great tracks and you also get membership to the Yacht club.  It is a very unique CC experience.  Only downside is you have to share Ram Rock, Apple Rock and Slick Rock with resort guests.  Not a huge problem since there is not a ton of play, but just throwing it out there.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, Kgglonghorn said:

not sure if you have made any progress here or not but HSB is actually 4 courses (assuming you go platinum to get access to Summit) and all the courses are always in perfect condition and all have bent grass greens, which is a rarity in central Texas.  Great tracks and you also get membership to the Yacht club.  It is a very unique CC experience.  Only downside is you have to share Ram Rock, Apple Rock and Slick Rock with resort guests.  Not a huge problem since there is not a ton of play, but just throwing it out there.

That's great knowledge.  I had to delay my trip due to Covid....need to find a yacht apparently!

Bang for the buck is definitely HSB.  75 miles from San Antonio and 60 miles from Austin.  Also, much more reasonable financially, from dues to real estate.  If you are offering me 4 great tracks plus a yacht club on a constant level lake for less money than Cordillera or Escondido, count me in.  I wouldn't even consider the clubs in Austin (and yes, I have played every course in this thread except Boot Ranch)

only way to do it is by staying...BUT they often do stay and play packages that are actually cheaper for the room and two rounds of golf then just the golf would typically cost.  They currently have an offer for $258 for one night and two rounds of golf.  Normal green fees are around $140, so cheaper with the room if you can plan for it.

On 9/5/2020 at 11:32 AM, Kgglonghorn said:

only way to do it is by staying...BUT they often do stay and play packages that are actually cheaper for the room and two rounds of golf then just the golf would typically cost.  They currently have an offer for $258 for one night and two rounds of golf.  Normal green fees are around $140, so cheaper with the room if you can plan for it.

Ah appreciate it. I'll be in Johnson City in a few weekends and was hoping to play one of the courses. Any insight on what would be the next best thing within 30 minutes of Johnson City. Looking like it may be Vaaler Creek. 

Lakecliff in Spicewood.   Way better than Vaaler. bent grass greens, fantastic practice facility and wonderful layout.  Not terribly long, but it is an AP track and is worth the experience for sure.  The greens are always in great shape and with the rain we have been getting, the fairways will be in really good shape too.  (not that they were not but rain only makes it better)

10 minutes ago, Kgglonghorn said:

Lakecliff in Spicewood.   Way better than Vaaler. bent grass greens, fantastic practice facility and wonderful layout.  Not terribly long, but it is an AP track and is worth the experience for sure.  The greens are always in great shape and with the rain we have been getting, the fairways will be in really good shape too.  (not that they were not but rain only makes it better)

Awesome, thats what I'll do then. Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, sarmis2 said:

Lakecliff was awesome, thanks @Kgglonghorn again. Practice facilities were top notch. Only thing off was fairway bunkers, but luckily didn't find too many of those. 

First time playing on bent grass greens, and thought they were awesome. 

Yep, forgot about the fairway bunkers.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Overall great experience.  Hopefully the fairway bunkers get cleaned up soon.

• 4 weeks later...

HSB has different packages depending on how much golf you play.  As of right now, you can get in for around $14k/$350 mo but that would require you to pay something like $100/round.  Don't recall the initiation lift but double your monthly for no charge golf.  Then there is another bump to get access to Summit.  Send the membership guy an email and he will send it all to you.  I just went through this earlier in the pandemic as I have been spending a ton of time out here and wanted to join but still haven't sold mama on the idea yet.  So you know, Ram Rock is spectacular.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:20 AM, Kgglonghorn said:

HSB has different packages depending on how much golf you play.  As of right now, you can get in for around $14k/$350 mo but that would require you to pay something like $100/round.  Don't recall the initiation lift but double your monthly for no charge golf.  Then there is another bump to get access to Summit.  Send the membership guy an email and he will send it all to you.  I just went through this earlier in the pandemic as I have been spending a ton of time out here and wanted to join but still haven't sold mama on the idea yet.  So you know, Ram Rock is spectacular.

Second that on Ramrock. Apple rock is fun as well but ramrock is special. 

• 6 months later...

So a bit of an update.....Just rebooked our flight tix, heading out at start of July, I figure I should get a feel for the humidity if nothing else.

Definitely looking at Cordeillera, HSB, Escondido, Boot, and Comanche Trace.....

Any other suggestions?  I don't want to be in a big city, just have a big city within 45 mins-hour is fine.   

Thought on Fair Oaks?

I agree in that Fair Oaks is not on the same tier as previously discussed clubs but their tracks are fun and every time I have been there they have been in good shape, just busy compared to the previously mentioned courses.

Another option would be to look into the new Driftwood Golf and Ranch Club. Must own property there but it will be an elite level type club. While not as secluded as it once was, it will feel secluded enough and still be 30 minutes to DT Austin, 1.25 hrs to DT San Antonio and 20-30 minutes to San Marcos. Also Salt Lick will be your neighbor. 

https://www.driftwoodgolfclub.com