Hogan's right leg - his real secret?

I remember reading an article somewhere many years ago(maybe 20) where Hogan was at the practice range and a friend asked Hogan to reveal the "real" secret whereupon supposedly Hogan said "I never move my --- right leg".

I have tried this over the years but honestly it is not easy because it changed all my swing dynamics, grip, takeaway, turn etc. and so after not being able to master it I would give up on it. Nonetheless, thinking back about the relatively few times over the years when I was swinging well and hitting it some 40 yards more than normal with the driver and 1 and a half club longer I remember my right side felt like it was nailed to the ground on the backswing so I could swing from the top without having to wait.

Anyone else out there heard about this secret and/or have tried to use it?

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Yes it does in fact, I should have mentioned that.

However, to him the perception was it didn't move which means it was resisting the turn probably with the right hip and lower back as well and so it acted as something relatively firm he could base his swing on.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Yes I have heard/read about this years ago. I mean we have all heard many "secrets". But this is one I often think about. Because IF there really was a secret then I just think its something not visible to the eye, kinda like a feeling or two that sets in motion a sequence--trick is where does it start or feel like it started?

So I say all that to say IMO most likely the right leg not moving is a perception regarding a desired "feel". There is many Youtube videos that visibly show his right leg move (a good one that can be searched is entitled: "Ben Hogan 1965 Shell Swing Compilation - Regular speed and Slow Motion Training Guide").

Over the years I have read about how important it is to turn around a "braced" right knee/leg from many instructors. Then I think about the extra spike(s) in his shoes. I don't know maybe a correlation to right leg feel/attempt to not move, etc?

• Like 1

His leg was definitely braced inward and led to him transferring lower body left mid backswing. That wouldn’t have happened as smoothly without it being braced inward.

You’re thinking of a book by his shag caddy. Jody Vasquez. He’s mentioned the right leg to many people and it is right through modern fundamentals.https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/forum/golf-discussion-forum/golf-instruction/103773-my-time-with-mr-hogan

• Like 1

I should have added that Hogan's knee does move.

The point I wanted to make is that to Hogan his knee did not move, which if one compares that feeling with their own swing probably cannot say the same. This to me implies the relation the leg had with the hip and the lower back and the more or less maintained knee angle demonstrate that all these were loaded and purposely "held connected" by Hogan to add a relatively fixed point about which to swing.

Notes:

Understood. I agree the knee to him was not moving, rather braced.

Kinda sub topic if I may, I have read Moe Norman praised Mr. Hogan and from the videos, pictures online Moe also braced his trail/right knee. Have to wonder if he got that from Mr. Hogan?

I know people compare them regarding ball striking. I am careful with context when comparing golfers, their golf swings, technique, etc but I do believe they mush have shared similar feelings regarding getting loaded/set in their back swings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 6:16 AM, Jeselnik said:

It's a right anchor, everybody knows.  If you can't make a good shoulder turn, then everything is a secret.

JNIK

With all due respect a lot of well respected golf teacher apparently don't know about the importance of swinging around a stable right leg. Some tell us that the legs don't (or hardly) contribute to the swing and that it's just the hands and arms and certain geometric positions/movements. BTW, there are lots of people that I've seen that have a decent shoulder turn but their right leg isn't braced, in fact its a lot easier to do if the right leg doesn't resist.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

After all these years, I guess it's time for me to reveal this - I know the real secret.

Unfortunately, I was told that I'd be whacked if I ever revealed it. Jimmy Hoffa knew the secret, and look what happened to him.

I think enough time has passed, and they can't find me on the internet. Well, unless GolfWRX has made a deal with the Hogan mob to ID people from their IP address and User information in cooperation with the NSA? I don't think so, so here goes:

Okay, Hogan's real secret is easy to see. If you loo

• Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Even if we knew his secret that doesn't mean we could actually duplicate it - the swing is a complex sequential motion of interconnected parts that the brain keeps track of consciously and subconsciously in order to work. Plus Hogan had what every other great sportsman has or had - a burning drive to win. 

Notes:

• 3 weeks later...