2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The One Club That Stood Out

BCULAW

First that comes to mind is a PING Anser 20° hybrid, that thing was magic. I have no idea where it is, I thought I’d kept it, but it’s not in my bag of old clubs. Only problem was that the gap from the irons to it wasn’t enough while the gap to the 4w (also an Anser, a beast itself) was too much.. I just couldn’t get the gapping right.

In my current bag, even with how much I love the irons and wedges.. Those woods are insanely easy to hit and crazy long. Again: gap to the irons is an issue, might want to swap out the 4i for a hybrid ?

Honorable mention to the Scotty Cameron Futura 7m. First time with a fitted putter. That gave me so much confidence, started holing much more. I didn’t like the size of it so I got the somewhat smaller 5w that’s just as good for me :)

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

I'm going more recent. Nothing really stood out from earlier years. Moving from Wilson fat shafts to dg in mp33 irons was the only thing that rings.

But, 2 clubs stand out now...sim and hmb 4i.

Once dialed in, the sim driver has been supreme. Like, aim left center and just hit it as hard as I want. It just goes and it goes where I want. It's almost retired my 3wood because it's so easy to hit off the deck. I hit at least 1 tee shot on a tight par 4 with sim off the deck rather than 3wood. I get about 20 yards more out of sim off the deck than 3wood and sim off the deck is a low bullet fade every single time. Ultimate control.

The hmb 4i is right there too. I searched for a 4i that gave better launch. Went through about 4 of them and a few shaft options. Settled on hmb 4i and same shaft in my other irons. The club just goes straight. Tight controlled ballflight. The tiniest of complaints....the club prohibits much side spin so it's not optimal for working a ball left for me...not a high draw at least. Every high draw attempt has just gone dead straight on a line a bit more right than my target.

• Like 1

They have been long surpassed and at 260CC (I think) are tiny by today's standards but, probably the original Callaway Great Big Bertha or the Titleist 975D.

Nowadays, driver improvements come in small increments, if at all.

However back in the late 90s those clubs were such an improvement over the previous generation it was night and day.

• Like 1

Ping Anser 4w. The only fairway wood I've ever actually wanted to hit. Most others I've avoided and hoped I wouldn't have to hit.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I can think of a few over the years that the first time I hit them was like "wow"

Original Callaway X-Hot 3W

Mizuno MP-30's

Acer (Hireko) XF hybrids

Acer (Hireko) XS Professional irons

W/S Staff Model irons

W/S D100 hybrids

Titleist 910 D3 driver

• Like 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Hogan Apex Plus irons

Snake eyes quick strike 2 hybrid

Maltby KE4 3 wood

Maltby TS1 irons. That is literally the first club where the first strike was "Oh my God" and I have been playing 38 years and hit quite a lot of clubs.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

The first time I hit mp-14's, it stopped me in my tracks. Up until that time, I never felt anything like it. The turf interaction, the feeling of the ball melting into the club head at impact just completely changed my thought process with irons. That would be the first thing that comes to mind.

It's a close second between the 975D and the first Cobra trusty rusty wedge. I had the gap wedge and it was just point and shoot from 115 and in. Super sharp leading edge and was a ton of fun. The 975D, still to this day, is my all time favorite shape driver.

Can't believe I had all of these clubs in the same bag at the same time. Until my entire bag was stolen...

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Over my years of playing golf.. I would say Adams XTD Forged were just about the best thing I have played.. I've had several sets, and extra sets of heads at the same time. Now I'm down to just one set sitting in storage..

I have since played and moved on from; P730, P770, Cobra King Forged MB's, MP-20 MB's... all have come and gone.. I picked up a set of Wilson Staff Model Blades and after the first round I was shocked on how different they feel from the MP-20's which I thought were great.. but the Wilson's just feel so solid when hit... leading to my "One club that stood out.." would be the Wilson Staff Model Utility 18°... I've tried a lot of DI type clubs and never got on with any of them with graphite shafts, I put a steel one in them and much better.. as expected.. the KBS Hybrid 80s stock shaft in the Wilson 18° was nothing great.. I put a Tensei Blue 80HYx into it.. and wow.. this thing is seriously long.. so I'd say the Wilson 18°...

• Like 1

-510 TP is a stud no doubt, but even before that, the 320 Tour head that had "Tour" right by the loft, it was just so solid, and I felt really cool because it wasn't widely available. Won my first tournament with that driver.

-Adams Idea A4 forged irons, the Tour version, probably the best looking cavity iron I've ever used.

-My current MP20 mbs, never played Mizuno before...totally get it now.

• Like 1

Ping G Hybrid with stock blue Alta shaft in 80g x flex. Was an absolute rocket.

• Like 1

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Adams Speedline F12 LS for me. I had played a 907D1 for close to 4 years and struggled to find a newer head that had the right sound & numbers (yes, I was the one person that enjoyed the 907 series).

There was a used F12 on the rack with the stock Fubuki that stayed in my bag for five years. It’s the GOAT driver in my own personal world.

• Like 1

I had a run with the Adams LP driver and fairway. On paper, both were HORRIBLE fits for me. I fit squarely in x-stiff, and these were both regular flex, light weight matrix shafts. I couldn’t “stand” on them, but they were straight and long if I just swung smoothly. Loved those woods!!

I’m a weird one. I have a garage full of x-stiff equipment mixed with regular flex gear. Stiff shafts are death for me, but I can play well with shafts on either side of stiff. Those Adams were probably the most glaring example of me loving gear that appeared to be an awful fit for me.

I was playing a Cleveland Classic TC-15 persimmon driver my first two years of college golf. Was pretty long and fairly straight driver of the ball. The first hole at our college course had a hazard that was 260 to carry off the tee. Myself and one other guy on our team were the only ones who could carry it. On our first practice round after winter break, one of my teammates brought out this club that looked like a saucer and had no hosel. I laughed at him. Then hit my regular tee shot that carried the hazard. My teammate then hit his tee shot with this “thing” and he carried the hazard with ease and hit it past me. I laughed at him and said “ I’ll never hit something that ugly”. Then after being out driven for 3holes I asked to hit it. Well needless to say after the round, I went straight to the golf shop and bought this “thing” called a Big Bertha....

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Thinking back on this one I would say that my club would be the Stan Thompson Ginty 7 wood. I could hit it well from pretty much any kind of lie and I could depend on getting decent distance out of it. LOL it made up for my inability to hit a longer iron very well back then. I can still remember how unbelievable it was hitting the green from a fairway bunker 170 yards out with that thing. I still have one that I rebuilt as they did tend to fall apart eventually. I hit it every once in a while just for grins and it is still a great club.

I never understood the allure of Eye2s. I’m a bona fide iron geek, though, so several years ago I decided to pick up a set with the Zz lite shafts for the “collection.” Tried them, felt they were very ordinary compared to my collection of forged blades.

During one of my annual “sell offs,” I found myself looking for a set of irons to put in the bag while I waited for my new sticks to arrive. I shafted up the Eye2s with some KBS Tours I had laying around. Man, those things came to LIFE! I swear the 6 iron from the set might be the best performing single iron I’ve ever hit. It was automatic! They felt surprisingly good, too! I still have them and definitely understand why people love them so much.

I’d love to find some BeCus. I have a high school buddy that hoards them. He must have a dozen sets and has not even bothered to try anything else. He caddied on Tour for a couple of years, too, so he had access to literally everything he could ever want to try.

For me, it’s gotta be the Cobra ZL Encore with an Oban Devotion 6. Not sure how much is actually a function of the head, but that shaft is perfect for my swing!