Foresight Fore Tracking Application

I’ve tried it recently. Conceptually, it works. The mapping for my home course is messed up and Oliver from BeBrassie got in touch with me for the scorecard so they could remap it. Still waiting on confirmation that they have done it (been 4 days)

I like how it detects a shot using the Apple Watch. The GPS yardages look about right and it automatically maps where you hit your shot to the hole layout and intelligently guesses if you’re playing from the fairway, bunker, rough, semi rough, green, etc.

it doesn’t record which club you used but again, tries to guess it. I still need to go in post round to review the club used for each stroke and confirm if the suggestion was correct (I found it to be around 70% accurate on my first time out with it)

hoping they get that mapping issue sorted out so I can run another test tomorrow

Srixon Z785 w/ PX 6.0 HZRDUS yellow (S) shaft
Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour issue shafts
Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
Bettinardi Studio Stock 8 putter

After a 4 hour round on Friday morning, I was left with 15% battery life left on my APple Watch Series 3 (no LTE) with the watch’s GPS in use. The drain wasn’t much on my phone, I think I still had well over 70% remaining (iPhone 11 Pro)

I agree - there is A LOT of work to edit post round. The manual workaround to that is to keep a notebook during a round, and make a note of every club used for every stroke, which seems a pain, and it’s starting to get into the territory of Arccos (I just realized Arccos is able to show where my shot landed fairly precisely) or Tag Heuer Golf (if I manually trigger the shot tracking for every shot). At this point, it’s unlikely that I will renew my Fore subscription past 2021 since my card was just charged.

All this shot tracking business is wonderful, but what I think really sets systems apart is the analytics engine. If there was some way to export all the shot GPS data from the app/system, I’m almost sure it would be possible to create a standalone online service where users can upload that data and get the stats they want.

Hi G:

Wow. That's quite a bit of battery consumption on the watch. For example, when I use the Tag Heuer application (formerly FunGolf) on my Watch Series 3 with LTE I end up with 75% battery on the watch and about 65% on my iPhone 8.

Seems to me, rather than application guess at what club was used it could ask you confirm what club it selected after the stoke and then allow you to change during round. This way you can minimize post round editing.

Based on your comments, my impression is that the Fore is more of an alpha application. And, they had absolutely no qualms about you paying to be one of there testers.

Don

• Like 1

I’ve used it a couple of times and I’m quite impressed with it.

I have the app on my phone and put the gps on and had it on flight mode on the way round to save a bit of battery. Assuming you can do the same on an iwatch etc to save some juice?

You update your profile by letting them know how far you hit each club and then it guesses the club on the way round. I played in a strong wind the other day so I had to edit it quite a bit after my round. I think it detected 30 shots or so via there patented technology.

I think it took about 15 mins of editing or so after the round with moving the pin position etc but I thought this was ok. The fact that you get Strokes gained info included sold it for me. Nice graphical representation of your game and what you need to work on.

That's what I thought too. It appears basic, but the developer (Oliver from BeBrassie) mentioned that the app is being used by tour players, even in high level tournaments. Perhaps it's not meant for a retail/consumer crowd, but I agree that battery consumption makes it a challenge. He did mention, as @cac022 posted above, that switching to flight mode improves battery life significantly. However, I did not have much luck with the app guessing which club I used as most of them turns out wrong (mostly showed as my Milled Grind wedges instead of my P7TW irons)@cac022 - the strokes gained is a great feature that I wish Arccos would implement.
I had a round yesterday with my Arccos (2nd gen) setup and it detected every shot correctly, save for an extra 'chip' with a wedge caused by me dropping the wedge while walking from off the green to the green itself. And all that shot detection was done via Apple Watch. I'm actually surprised it worked as well as it did

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I have about 80 rounds completed using the Fore Tracking App.

I just use the app on my phone. No watch.

My observations

Battery - no issue. Start at 100%, finish round around 70-75% left.

I would say it picks up about 90-95% of full swings correctly just sitting in my pocket.

Sometimes it picks up two hits in the same spot but that is easy to clean up post round.

Chipping/Pitch shots get picked up about 50% of the time (at best), but you see a walking trail line of where you have been and it is very easy to remember and mark that spot post round.

Putting is the most time consuming and it is required otherwise the approach data, putting data is meaningless.

I do it on my phone after the hole is complete.

After you enter the score and putts, you can edit putts. You will get a image of the green, you can then move the hole location and your putt locations.

The main thing is knowing your putt distances. I walk them off so I know my numbers. Easy after to just mark it in the app.

Post round edit takes about 5 mins for me as I'm just adding any missed chips around green, OB and Water penalties.

Super quick and easy.

Data is probably the best of any app out there (although I see Arccos has added SGA data recently and from the visuals looks just like what Fore does).

I think the fact that I don't need to buy sensors, worry about batteries, Fore is a steal for the $60CDN I paid for one year.

Too bad they don't seem to have any luck making a dent into the market.

• 2 weeks later...

I just commented about Fore in another thread. While I don’t have as much rounds in Fore  as you do, I agree on most things you said. I use the WATCH for tracking and the battery drain is significant, even with Airplane mode enabled. I like the data aspect of the app, the fact you don’t need tags and honestly I’m not too fussed about editing the data after the fact. Would like some improvements on the lost ball, penalty tracking.

and it’s $69 CDN per year so I don’t know if they increased the price recently, but they had a two month free offer due to COVID. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, CFAnPEI said:

So I have about 80 rounds completed using the Fore Tracking App.

I just use the app on my phone. No watch.

My observations

Battery - no issue. Start at 100%, finish round around 70-75% left.

I would say it picks up about 90-95% of full swings correctly just sitting in my pocket.

Sometimes it picks up two hits in the same spot but that is easy to clean up post round.

Chipping/Pitch shots get picked up about 50% of the time (at best), but you see a walking trail line of where you have been and it is very easy to remember and mark that spot post round.

Putting is the most time consuming and it is required otherwise the approach data, putting data is meaningless.

I do it on my phone after the hole is complete.

After you enter the score and putts, you can edit putts. You will get a image of the green, you can then move the hole location and your putt locations.

The main thing is knowing your putt distances. I walk them off so I know my numbers. Easy after to just mark it in the app.

Post round edit takes about 5 mins for me as I'm just adding any missed chips around green, OB and Water penalties.

Super quick and easy.

Data is probably the best of any app out there (although I see Arccos has added SGA data recently and from the visuals looks just like what Fore does).

I think the fact that I don't need to buy sensors, worry about batteries, Fore is a steal for the $60CDN I paid for one year.

Too bad they don't seem to have any luck making a dent into the market.