Help deciding on lofts for Utitilty Irons

Like many mid- to high-handicappers, I have always had trouble hitting 3 and 4 irons, so recently I've been using hybrids instead. But I don't hit hybrids very well either. Last weekend I hit some shots with a friend's utility iron (Titleist U500), and I loved it. So now I'm looking at getting one or two U510's (for greater forgiveness than the U500) to fill the gaps between my 5 iron and my fairway wood. My 5 iron is 23 degrees. My fairway woods (Titleist TS2) are 18 degrees, and 15 degrees. My thought is to start with one U510, and if I continue to hit it really well, get a second one and go down to one fairway wood. I hardly ever hit my 3 wood, so I would either stick with the 18-degree, or get a 16.5-degree to replace both the 15 and the 18. I'm pretty sure I should start with the 20-degree U510, and if all goes well, get the 18-degree. Does that make sense? Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any specific experience with the U510 but I've been playing an 18-19* utility for a couple of seasons with only one fairway wood.

The obvious thing to check is the gapping between your last iron and your utility and then the gaps between your second utility and your fairway wood.

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I’d suggest that unless you’re a very good ball striker with a typically penetrating strike, that your woods will go much further than your utility. I’ve just sold a 21* utility club as it only went about 5 yards further than my 5I and was nowhere near as nice to hit. I love my 5I and would jump at the chance of a G410 3I ahead of any utility club, but sadly they don’t make them.

its only between equal clubs (irons or hybrids or woods), we can use lofts gaps to predict a distance gap, NEVER from one type of clubs to another, since ALL parameters is different.

Start by finding the distance to cover, next what shaft would you like to use here? same as irons? or maybe something lighter?, then try off that club with the shaft of choice and see what distance that club delivers, NOW decide what loft thats needed, so loft is the last parameter of them all, never the one we start with, and that goes for all clubs. First we need play length, shaft weight and balance set right so we can make a good impact on that club, thats where it all starts....lofts is tweaks for ball flight and distance when the other parameters is set right, so dont start off from the wrong end with loft as the first.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.