Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

19 minutes ago, ericft said:

spoke to TM today. I had ordered a set of 4-PW p7MC with ctaper 120s with 1 deg upright but the 9 iron 0.5 deg strong and PW 1 deg strong to make even gaps to my 50 MG tour raw wedge and 54/60 setup. Ordered through my proshop 8/27 and they said that the 9/PW had shipped for possible delivery today! wondering whether they have excess inventory of the higher lofted irons or whether it went into a different queue because those two clubs had different specs for loft compared to the rest of the set. It is going to be very hard to have two shiny new 9/W clubs with no rest of the set! Hoping the others come soon but was quoted mid october at the earliest...

Very odd.  These timelines get stranger and stranger.  I ordered 6-P MC and 5 770 on 8/27 and was told late October on the MC and December on the 770.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Placed an order for P7MC the first weekend I could on their site with ship date showing 9/4. Received an email overnight stating the P7MC is now not going to ship until 11/11. Email says they understand my frustration though so are sending a dozen TP5x golf balls apparently. COVID or not they did a terrible job preparing for the release of these and should have been more up front when people were ordering. I wouldn't have cared one bit if they were just up front about it from the beginning, but they led people to believe they would get them as stated when ordered....Was hoping to be able to use them for a few months before worse weather comes along but it's not looking good now.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Oknows said:

Very odd.  These timelines get stranger and stranger.  I ordered 6-P MC and 5 770 on 8/27 and was told late October on the MC and December on the 770.

36 minutes ago, HappyGilmore22 said:

Placed an order for P7MC the first weekend I could on their site with ship date showing 9/4. Received an email overnight stating the P7MC is now not going to ship until 11/11. Email says they understand my frustration though so are sending a dozen TP5x golf balls apparently. COVID or not they did a terrible job preparing for the release of these and should have been more up front when people were ordering. I wouldn't have cared one bit if they were just up front about it from the beginning, but they led people to believe they would get them as stated when ordered....Was hoping to be able to use them for a few months before worse weather comes along but it's not looking good now.

They posted in one of the threads they sold thru their first phase allotment in 5-6 days the second phase is what ships in October and guessing their phase is November and so on.

1 hour ago, GoGoErky said:

They posted in one of the threads they sold thru their first phase allotment in 5-6 days the second phase is what ships in October and guessing their phase is November and so on.

Yeah they did post that....but after I had placed my order. I looked back and my order was placed 8/17. Now I'm just waiting. Baby due in October so won't be able to do some on course testing up against my T100 like I had hoped. 

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

So an order update! The Regional Manager has worked a miracle. The delivery date still shows as 10th November on order tracking but they are currently being built. How long does it usually take from there? I am hoping they are here next week...

Paradym Triple Diamond 9
TSR3 Fairway Wood 15

Stealth 2 Hybrid 19
Ping Blueprint S 4-PW
SM10 Nickel Wedges 50, 54 & 58

Scotty Phantom 9.5

Ordered my 770 4-PW  w/ $taper 120 S on 8/23  received them 9/1. Had a chance to hit them a couple times on the range. solid feel, better then the 790s but not as nice as a forged like say a Z785.  Mid/high ball flight and I would say added a little to the distance i normally see. Not a lot.  Going out o play tomorrow so will see how they perform on the course. all in all I would say these should be a solid set of clubs once you get them tuned in.  My 2Cents

On 9/1/2020 at 5:52 AM, Rimmy7 said:

Just wondered what Steelfiber shafts you are using?  Is it the i95 and which flex are using? Was about to order 770 / 7mc combo with Dynamic Gold 105 s300 but the Steelfiber are appealing. Do you use these in your wedges as well?

Good evening,

Yes, the i95 in regular flex.  Coming from the Recoil 110 F4 and the flex seems pretty equal to me.  In my wedges I have both the SteelFiber 110 and the Recoil 110.  
Hit them well on the range today, so 3 out of 4 good days is pretty good for golf ?
IMO these are high launching heads but I am not seeing ballooning.

Good luck with your choice!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

53 minutes ago, milzi007 said:

Does anyone know if the kbs tour shafts in the stock sets are “made for”?  The label is different than the standard shaft from KBS.

Just a new label. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

First post for me here, and joining in on the waiting game.  I went with the full 3-PW of the P7MCs and will be waiting some time into November for sure on these.  I went with the Nippon Modus3 Tour105S shafts as I am coming from a 85g R shaft and think the jump to a full 120g might be a little difficult.

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Got my 9 and PW. I ordered them I ungripped and they came a with shaft label off which was great. I blew the grips on( stock lamkin z grey black) and one measures out at d7 and the other d6. Seems waay too heavy. I am not sure if ordering grips off makes it difficult to swingweight but still wouldn’t expect them to be that heavy. Not sure what to do as I don’t want to take them apart to see if there are heavy tip weights in them. Also don’t what to put super heavy grips just to get swingweight down. I overall worry more about total weight but when swingweight is that high, it throws my sense of total weight as well. 
I will give Taylormade a call tomorrow or maybe @TaylorMade Golf can give me some guidance. Even though it’s only 2 clubs I got, I wonder whether I should have grips installed on the others. I prefer to use different grips and therefore blow my grips all on to save them when I switch. 

Edited by ericft

2 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

Any P760 guys who switched to the P770s have any comments on going from Preworn leading edge to no Preworn leading edge on the P770s? 

I am going from the P760’s to P770’s. I haven’t gamed them yet. I’ll let you know after I play Thursday!

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

9 hours ago, ericft said:

Got my 9 and PW. I ordered them I ungripped and they came a with shaft label off which was great. I blew the grips on( stock lamkin z grey black) and one measures out at d7 and the other d6. Seems waay too heavy. I am not sure if ordering grips off makes it difficult to swingweight but still wouldn’t expect them to be that heavy. Not sure what to do as I don’t want to take them apart to see if there are heavy tip weights in them. Also don’t what to put super heavy grips just to get swingweight down. I overall worry more about total weight but when swingweight is that high, it throws my sense of total weight as well. 
I will give Taylormade a call tomorrow or maybe @TaylorMade Golf can give me some guidance. Even though it’s only 2 clubs I got, I wonder whether I should have grips installed on the others. I prefer to use different grips and therefore blow my grips all on to save them when I switch. 

Did you get those weights without grips?   You will see SW move 4 or 5 points with grips installed normally.  

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

8 minutes ago, goheels11 said:

Did you get those weights without grips?   You will see SW move 4 or 5 points with grips installed normally.  

No those weights were with the grips blown on. The TM grip is 53g. When I put another grip that was jumbo at 65g swingweight came down to d2. I want to play the TM grips as they look and feel great. 

56 minutes ago, ericft said:

No those weights were with the grips blown on. The TM grip is 53g. When I put another grip that was jumbo at 65g swingweight came down to d2. I want to play the TM grips as they look and feel great. 

A heavier grip only changes the SW scale to show less....not the actual SW!  The SW scale is based upon a std weight (50g) grip.

Remove the shaft and then apply lots of heat to the hosel to remove the TM hosel bullet weight and then reshaft with a tip weight to get the correct SW.

Been there and done that many times.

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

34 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

A heavier grip only changes the SW scale to show less....not the actual SW!  The SW scale is based upon a std weight (50g) grip.

Remove the shaft and then apply lots of heat to the hosel to remove the TM hosel bullet weight and then reshaft with a tip weight to get the correct SW.

Been there and done that many times.

I have seen this before with other TM clubs with bullet weights..but is there a possibility that the head weight is itself causing this issue? I would seriously doubt it given my shaft is 120g only. I hate to take it apart but might have to to build it to d2 with the grips I prefer. I have never taken apart new clubs before even hitting them...oh well, might them them as is for now and reassemble later. The benefit of not attached grips is that I can save them easily. 

I managed to spend some time today hitting both the P770 and P7MC 7 irons against my P750 7 iron

I went into this session looking for confirmation that P770 was the way to go as a full set

P770: Fairly compact head, a smidge more offset than I'd like and felt crisp when struck. Hit with DG120 and the KBS120 and was picking up 15 yards over my P750. My only negative was that they definitely feel more like the 790's than the old 770's or 750's, definitely more clicky and firm feeling but very powerful ballflight and still lose around 10 yards on toe strikes (my miss).

Next up was the P7MC - Beautiful compact head, perfect amount of offset, almost indistinguishable from the P750 from the top and WOW! The feel is  AMAZING!!

Struck flush I don't think I've felt a nicer head, still lose approx 10 yards on bad strikes but surprisingly forgiving!

I'm not chasing distance but I picked up 5 yards over my P750 and the consistency was unreal (this was with the stock KBS120 shaft) - Also tried PX6.0 and DG120

I think the one drawback of the 770's is going to be short iron feel which the MC's have plenty of!

I am now leaning towards full set of P7MC (there's a chance I can get a stock set within a week) but unsure about 4 and 5 iron (ordering the split set will be December at least!)

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, ericft said:

I have seen this before with other TM clubs with bullet weights..but is there a possibility that the head weight is itself causing this issue? I would seriously doubt it given my shaft is 120g only. I hate to take it apart but might have to to build it to d2 with the grips I prefer. I have never taken apart new clubs before even hitting them...oh well, might them them as is for now and reassemble later. The benefit of not attached grips is that I can save them easily. 

TM does not do SW....they will only "try" to get it close to standard.  They use the hosel bullet weights and you will need to remove them....must heat the hosel with a small butane torch with a lot of heat and the weight will eventually drop out with a tap on a hard surface.  Head weight not the issue.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

2 hours ago, ericft said:

Great thanks Birdiebob. Will review. Why are bullet weights so routinely added if they are not swingweighting? Is it to get every head to a spec weight regardless of shaft and grip in the build?

They do SW to get close to standard but it is not a specific custom SW that they will do.  Why yours are so far off????

So, I took my new P770's out to the range today for the first time. My initial reaction is that I'll likely put them on the BST soon, but I am going to give them one more chance. I only hit the 7-iron and the PW, but I just wasn't a fan of the feel of the 7-iron. Pured shots with the 7 just feel... disappointing, but the PW felt excellent. I think the difference is related to the fact that the PW doesn't have the speed slot. 

To be fair, I've only played pure forged, solid clubs (mostly blades) for the last couple of years. I bought the 770's on a whim, and while ball flight and distance were excellent, I don't think I'll be able to get past the feel. 

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

14 minutes ago, Philomathesq said:

So, I took my new P770's out to the range today for the first time. My initial reaction is that I'll likely put them on the BST soon, but I am going to give them one more chance. I only hit the 7-iron and the PW, but I just wasn't a fan of the feel of the 7-iron. Pured shots with the 7 just feel... disappointing, but the PW felt excellent. I think the difference is related to the fact that the PW doesn't have the speed slot. 

To be fair, I've only played pure forged, solid clubs (mostly blades) for the last couple of years. I bought the 770's on a whim, and while ball flight and distance were excellent, I don't think I'll be able to get past the feel. 

I hear you... I see your coming from Apex MB's, must be night and day in terms of feel. You must be pleased of how miss hits now feels though!! ?

For the benefit of others who might be coming from cast/multi-material irons, I am coming from RocketBladez Tour and I find the 770 feel to be soft enough and more powerful. I also gamed Apex Pro's last year and had Project X 6.0 on, but I can without a doubt that the 770's with KBS Tour S feels much, much softer to me. HTH!

12 minutes ago, davidthibault said:

I hear you... I see your coming from Apex MB's, must be night and day in terms of feel. You must be pleased of how miss hits now feels though!! ?

For the benefit of others who might be coming from cast/multi-material irons, I am coming from RocketBladez Tour and I find the 770 feel to be soft enough and more powerful. I also gamed Apex Pro's last year and had Project X 6.0 on, but I can without a doubt that the 770's with KBS Tour S feels much, much softer to me. HTH!

This is clearly meant as a humble brag, but I don't generally miss that often with my irons, so true mishits are rare. However, I did purposely hit some off the toe and off the heel with the 770's and there is a very large difference in feel. Off the Apex MB's, anything that is more than a few mm's from the center of the club face stings. Off the 770's, I could barely tell I missed, but I noticed the miss due to distance and ball flight. 

I was hoping the 770's would make the game a little easier, and they probably will, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get over the feel difference. Nothing feels quite like a pured shot with a solid, forged blade. It's a feeling to which one, or at least me, becomes addicted. 

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB