2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

3 hours ago, Whited107x said:

Have to disagree with this. i was playing Mizuno jpx 919 forged and they felt harder to hit that my new P7MC. Guess its down to personal opinion and feel. best thing to do is go and test.

Agree with this. MCs are surprisingly easy to hit. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

1 hour ago, Jb1280 said:

Ended up picking up a set of stock P770 this past weekend. I’ve been in the market of replacing some 9 year old Coba S3 Pro MB that were getting long in the tooth and looking for something that could give some forgiveness as the amount of golf I play is down.

Played on Sunday and here are some thoughts:

1. They are definitely not the best feeling irons in the world and took some time to get used to the short irons from a feel perspective

2. Besides the feel, the transition over to the short irons was really pretty great. They flew a touch further, had great turf interaction, and just want to fly straight. Another big thing with the short irons is they are not unwieldy long.

3. Not surprisingly, misses were not punished as badly as with a set of MBs - saved one really bad swing for the round.

4. Decent workability. Was able to play a low hook with an 8 iron to get a ball back in play and a low cut 4 iron. My expectation was that I’d give most of that up with these irons, but was pleasantly surprised.

5. Where these really shine are the 4-6 irons. I got proper gapping with these irons that I’ve probably never had. Optimistic that it could significantly improve game from 185-215 yards out. 

Like with anything there are trade-offs, and if you’re willing to sacrifice some feel for generally better performance without significant loss in playability these are a great offering.

I can definitely see the appeal of a blended bag of MC/MB in the short irons and P770 in the 4-6 or 4-7

sounds like exactly what I ordered them for! unfortunately either taylormade or my UK supplier (clubhouse golf) have let me down, no sign of launch day order, no contact or update either. clubs available off the shelf locally too now, but I'll be tied up trying to get money back for a while. Never again! 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

6 hours ago, gticlay said:

OK, thanks.  I always thought it was a regular tip weight and the tip was breaking off inside when removing shafts.  Do you have a link to where that type can be bought?  I haven't been able to find them online.j

Check with a pro builder to see if they have some.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

12 hours ago, physasst said:

If I have the P790 4-AW from 2018....can I blend in the new 770's? I'd like to keep 4-7 P790 and then blend in 8-AW P770. Is that possible?

Mike

just a heads up  , i  hit my 770's better than all my 790's.  Might be because they just feel better behind the ball  because the are less bulky , not sure but i kept my 4-5 iron of 790 just in case but i really do hit my 770's better!

6 hours ago, Whited107x said:

Have to disagree with this. i was playing Mizuno jpx 919 forged and they felt harder to hit that my new P7MC. Guess its down to personal opinion and feel. best thing to do is go and test.

I was responding to the post that said compared to the P760s how are the 7MCs which the 7MCs are not as forgiving.  P760s are way more forgiving.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, physasst said:

If I have the P790 4-AW from 2018....can I blend in the new 770's? I'd like to keep 4-7 P790 and then blend in 8-AW P770. Is that possible?

Mike

TaylorMade has a Combo Guide for recommended lofts for combo sets. 

B7CB5E65-117F-438B-967A-8D0722A1AEF6.jpeg.72b6b1d12f33b0f5b9871449e85f9829.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kaveman44 said:

just a heads up  , i  hit my 770's better than all my 790's.  Might be because they just feel better behind the ball  because the are less bulky , not sure but i kept my 4-5 iron of 790 just in case but i really do hit my 770's better!

Same here.  The first few days, my P•770s were 2-3 yards shorter than my P•790s. But after a week, carry distances are now the same or better. And I hit my 770 4-iron better than my 790 4-iron.

10 hours ago, Seidinho said:

why would the p770s feel any different? Aren’t they both hollow bodied with speed foam? 

I don’t know the physics of how or why, but the 770s do feel/sound noticeably better. And I had no problems with the feel of the 790s. 

• Like 2

I only bought the 5 iron in the P770 and ordered the P7MC irons in the 6-PW.  The MCs are on backorder until mid October. 

Having hit the 5 iron extensively at the range over the past few days I am so impressed I wish I had order the P770 in the 5-7 irons.  Turf interaction is great.  I lose less distance on strikes lower on the face than my current gamers.  It is easy to control the flight and they are workable.  Not only are they nice to look at in the bag, on the ground they have a relatively thin top line and minimum offset.  Lastly, they are very stable across the face.  I think TM has a winner with these, but they are not for players who are poor ball strikers.

Edited by jimb

Got my custom order today from DD.... my customized LEFTY combo set.  Everything looks great, except I got shipped RHIGHT HANDED CLUBS!!!!!! ? @TaylorMade Golf

The reship is looking to now be slated into mid NOVEMBER.  Words cannot even remotely begin to express my disappointment in both parties.  Why offer options if you can get the orientation correct?  Just an absolute disaster from top to bottom.  Looking like the full order will just end up being cancelled.  @TaylorMade Golf

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

22 minutes ago, TG_343 said:

Got my custom order today from DD.... my customized LEFTY combo set.  Everything looks great, except I got shipped RHIGHT HANDED CLUBS!!!!!! ? @TaylorMade Golf

The reship is looking to now be slated into mid NOVEMBER.  Words cannot even remotely begin to express my disappointment in both parties.  Why offer options if you can get the orientation correct?  Just an absolute disaster from top to bottom.  Looking like the full order will just end up being cancelled.  @TaylorMade Golf

Im willing to bet they will do you right. Did you call their CS?

3 hours ago, mixedguy said:

I was responding to the post that said compared to the P760s how are the 7MCs which the 7MCs are not as forgiving.  P760s are way more forgiving.

I'm surprised you say that the 760's are forgiving compared to anything.  IMO, they look like blades with a cavity and slightly thicker topline.  I was hoping the MC's look like the older 770's, which seemed to have the perfect profile and shape.  Sad we sold those.

47 minutes ago, kekoa said:

I'm surprised you say that the 760's are forgiving compared to anything.  IMO, they look like blades with a cavity and slightly thicker topline.  I was hoping the MC's look like the older 770's, which seemed to have the perfect profile and shape.  Sad we sold those.

I've hit quite a few shots with the P760's and they really are forgiving compared to a blade.  Much like an i3 blade or Tm300, IMO.  I haven't hit the new cavities and I'm very curious how they compare to those.

4 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

Im willing to bet they will do you right. Did you call their CS?

Per @TaylorMade Golf my reorder will not ship until November 23rd.  So due to incompetence of the highest degree and nothing of my own doing, I'm now out $1000+ and with no clubs for 3+ months.  Sold my other set just before receiving this incorrect order today, thus officially ending my golf season.

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

5 hours ago, TG_343 said:

I called TM today and wanted to know if I could changed the 6 and 7 irons to the P770 from the P7MC irons that are backordered to mid October.  They said they could do it, but order would be backed up to November, which is consistent with what they told you.  It sucks that they messed up the order sending you right handed clubs.  I am a lefty also.  If that happened to me, I guess I would cancel my order as well.

57 minutes ago, TG_343 said:

Per @TaylorMade Golf my reorder will not ship until November 23rd.  So due to incompetence of the highest degree and nothing of my own doing, I'm now out $1000+ and with no clubs for 3+ months.  Sold my other set just before receiving this incorrect order today, thus officially ending my golf season.

That’s horrible and absolutely absurd.

6 hours ago, TG_343 said:

That is one of the most painful golf stories I have heard...sorry man!  Can't imagine a more frustrated feeling (of course in the context of what it is) than this.

I really hope TM does something for you to make this more palatable.  Someone needs to own this one and give you compensation.  

Here is to hoping since they did not get it right they do what is right!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I got impatient and can't wait until Nov-Dec for a custom order to come through so I ordered a Titleist CB/MB combo instead. I did have a chance to see the P770 and P7MC at my local Golftown today and I must say they are very good looking irons. I do like how the Titleist is just a little smaller though overall (shorter blade length and thinner toplines). Maybe in the new year I can eventually get a set somewhere down the line.

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

770's were supposed to arrive on 9/3. Then it got updated to 9/4...no biggie. Then I noticed there'd been no update since 9/2 when my package left Sacramento. Finally called FedEx on 9/7. The rep asks "how can I help". I told her I wanted to know what was going on with my package and gave her the tracking number. She says "I can't help with that because there's no status update". LMAO...well duh that's why I'm calling. She explains due to Covid there might be delays. I said I understand, but what's considered beyond a reasonable delay. She says 24 hours. I said you notice how I'm beyond 3 days now? She says yes lol. Um...OK...how about you file a lost package claim for me then. "I can't do that right now"...Um...why not? "I just filed a lost package claim for you"...WTH you just told me you couldn't. Then I got a delivery update saying my package would be delivered on 9/8. It was not. Now it's saying today, but no status update from the last location since yesterday. I hate FedEx...

for those who went to a local fitter, did they keep you updated on shipped status.  Was told expected ship was on 9/1.  I have asked if there has been any delays and was told no, still nothing today.  Would i be able to call taylormade to check if i was pushed back or am i in the hands of my fitter.

21 minutes ago, awwwskeetskeet said:

for those who went to a local fitter, did they keep you updated on shipped status.  Was told expected ship was on 9/1.  I have asked if there has been any delays and was told no, still nothing today.  Would i be able to call taylormade to check if i was pushed back or am i in the hands of my fitter.

Get your order number and call TM directly.

9 hours ago, awwwskeetskeet said:

My fitter got a hold of me as soon as he found out about the delay. I can understand a delay, but the Mid November date really chaps my hide.