2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

19 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

I picked up the P7MC's last summer after release off the rack and had a set of MMT 105TX (ss*1) installed (left over from a previous, not conducive build).  Played the rest of the season with them.  Loved them.  They're a 1/4-1/2" long, and play a little heavy, but I'm very happy with the feel and relief they give.

Thanks.  Curious what your ss is with 7 and driver.  Also what swingweight are they playing at?  Did you try 105S or just prefer little bit heavier?

2 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Thanks.  Curious what your ss is with 7 and driver.  Also what swingweight are they playing at?  Did you try 105S or just prefer little bit heavier?

I came from S300 shafts, so I prefer heavier, but wasn't sure I could handle the 125TX (even soft-stepped) at the time.  If I had to do it all over again now, I would choose the 125S.  7 iron ss is around 87 mph and driver is hovering just under 105 mph  SW on the 7 iron was D5 I believe

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

18 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

I came from S300 shafts, so I prefer heavier, but wasn't sure I could handle the 125TX (even soft-stepped) at the time.  If I had to do it all over again now, I would choose the 125S.  7 iron ss is around 87 mph and driver is hovering just under 105 mph  SW on the 7 iron was D5 I believe

Let me amend that. 7 iron measured 37.5” and plays to D8. A bit long and a bit heavy. 

AEFA5013-532A-4D2F-B13F-A8F82492253C.jpeg

3B06A77C-E1E3-4618-87F7-474A27472A65.jpeg

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Just called TM for an update. Ordered 12/22 and originally received an update saying ship date had been moved to Feb 1. Well as of today, they are saying it’s now March 1 ship date because “they are waiting on the shafts from KBS”... well I ordered the same exact shaft my irons are spec’d with from KBS last week and it arrived in 3 days. So basically they’re saying KBS can send out a single c taper shaft to me in 3 days, but can’t send them the set within 3 months? Smh

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

I picked my set up today.  P770 4 thru gap in px 5.5 hardstep x1.  Its been so long since I've seen them I forgot how beautiful they look.  Head size, top line, just a perfect looking iron.  I checked swingweight and within .5 across the set.  Length is perfect.  I wasn't able to check lie but doing a manual check look good.  It'll probably be a couple of weeks till I hit them.  Wow, gorgeous.  

Sorry to those that haven't gotten yours yet.20210211_170713.jpg.611f2925ff7e1a545f04d55dca1dfa0b.jpg20210211_170705.jpg.04f82e077f617942f94aac17464b7ace.jpg20210211_170656.jpg.78c623ec7f400c79d09581e411818431.jpg20210211_170337.jpg.b3d7edf9445ec99772e9970086837f28.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I picked my set up today.  P770 4 thru gap in px 5.5 hardstep x1.  Its been so long since I've seen them I forgot how beautiful they look.  Head size, top line, just a perfect looking iron.  I checked swingweight and within .5 across the set.  Length is perfect.  I wasn't able to check lie but doing a manual check look good.  It'll probably be a couple of weeks till I hit them.  Wow, gorgeous.  

Sorry to those that haven't gotten yours yet.20210211_170713.jpg.611f2925ff7e1a545f04d55dca1dfa0b.jpg20210211_170705.jpg.04f82e077f617942f94aac17464b7ace.jpg20210211_170656.jpg.78c623ec7f400c79d09581e411818431.jpg20210211_170337.jpg.b3d7edf9445ec99772e9970086837f28.jpg

We must have the same taste. Waiting for my 770’s and I wear the same Puma socks.🤣

Awesome looking clubs! Congrats!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My P770 order got pushed back another 2 weeks to mid March, ordered Jan 11th. Waiting on heads was the reason, ordered mine with steelfiber shafts. Hoping there isn’t a back up on shafts as well. 

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

interesting on the wait times.. 

Ive just placed my order P770 5-PW project x 6.0 LZ shafts.. and they said they should be in by end of march... 

im in vancouver canada and ordered through a private golf fitter... so not sure how that makes any difference... they said their taylormade guy comes by often sooo ? hopefully they get here that soon. 

Man, I'm going in circles here.  I've got a brand new fitted set just sitting around.  Modus 120S 1 flat and 1/4 long.  I've played 2 rounds with them then stuck the staff model blades back in the bag.  Both sets are awesome.  Something in me tells me the P770 would better overall.  I don't think I really gave them a real honest run, I'm just familiar with the staffs.  I really wish I just had ONE set of irons.  Btw...took me 2.5 months to get them from order.  But man they sure look nice.  

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

2 hours ago, kylesilk said:

Man, I'm going in circles here.  I've got a brand new fitted set just sitting around.  Modus 120S 1 flat and 1/4 long.  I've played 2 rounds with them then stuck the staff model blades back in the bag.  Both sets are awesome.  Something in me tells me the P770 would better overall.  I don't think I really gave them a real honest run, I'm just familiar with the staffs.  I really wish I just had ONE set of irons.  Btw...took me 2.5 months to get them from order.  But man they sure look nice.  

It took me awhile to get use to them. I struggled initially coming from mizuno MP lineup. The p770 leading edge turf interaction felt so different from my MP54s. But now I'm use to them and I like them, still don't love them.

For those of who are interested... 

I hit my 760s back to back with the new 770s and there is literally no difference in performance whatsoever. The 760s might be a touch softer and the leading edge relief gives turf interaction that I prefer. So, I know we all like the shiny and new, but you can get the same for less if you find a used set of 760s in your spec. 

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I hit my 760s back to back with the new 770s and there is literally no difference in performance whatsoever. The 760s might be a touch softer and the leading edge relief gives turf interaction that I prefer. So, I know we all like the shiny and new, but you can get the same for less if you find a used set of 760s in your spec. 

So peak height and landing angle was the same?  I have a hard time seeing that in 7 thru 4.

Just now, Nick_E said:

So peak height and landing angle was the same?  I have a hard time seeing that in 7 thru 4.

Next time I'm on trackman I can post, but yeah, I can get virtually identical numbers from them. Why is that difficult to believe? They are extremely similar irons. 

Just now, TigerInTheWoods said:

Next time I'm on trackman I can post, but yeah, I can get virtually identical numbers from them. Why is that difficult to believe? They are extremely similar irons. 

I belive Cg is lower in 770 and more tungsten.  20 balls in same loft in same shaft rotating then I'm a believer.  

I didn't think you had a set of 770s, that was for your dad which is lighter flex, and you hit Xs correct based on all your distance posts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Maybe for a 0.1 handicap but the 770's are more forgiving. 

3 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I belive Cg is lower in 770 and more tungsten.  20 balls in same loft in same shaft rotating then I'm a believer.  

I didn't think you had a set of 770s, that was for your dad which is lighter flex, and you hit Xs correct based on all your distance posts 

I installed an X in his heads when they arrived and hit both. The difference is very minimal. The 770s are fantastic clubs - I'm not saying anything negative about them, I just think that the marketing aside they perform almost the same. 

4 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Maybe for a 0.1 handicap but the 770's are more forgiving. 

My dad has hit my surplus 760 heads with his shaft in them and is a 12 HC (but only due to a good short game he is a horrid ball striker) and the difference was minimal. The difference in forgiveness, if there at all, is very small. 

Again, NOT a knock on the 770s at all. Just saying, they're pretty darn close in performance. I'd argue for their size the 760s were one of the more forgiving "players" irons in the last couple of years. 

As a side note, I think the badging is obviously much cleaner on the 770, but it also doesn't give anything up in address look. The long irons in the 760 have quite a bit of visual offset and the 770s don't have any more. So if you are getting a touch more help, you aren't giving anything up aesthetically for it which is nice. 

10 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I'd like to know the VCOG measurement on the P770

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

Just ordered a p770 4-6 p7mc 7-pw after trying them out.  Coming from a 2017 P770 Full set.  While the older p770 looks alot like the new p770 in terms of size I will say that the new p770 appears to be a bit smaller heel to toe but I think thats just due to the new p770 having a more round shape.  All in all I think both the P770 and the P7mc are both great irons and you cannot go wrong with either of these options.  The P7mc offers what I would say a fair amount of forgiveness in the shorter irons (7-p) but then becomes pretty demanding in the longer irons.  The P770 definitely offers a bit more in terms of forgiveness and a bigger clubface.  Other than the fact that these irons have different types of head construction (Hollow body vs the one piece forged) I would say that these irons combo pretty well when the lofts are adjusted properly.

1 minute ago, Canuckgolfer67 said:

Just ordered a p770 4-6 p7mc 7-pw after trying them out.  Coming from a 2017 P770 Full set.  While the older p770 looks alot like the new p770 in terms of size I will say that the new p770 appears to be a bit smaller heel to toe but I think thats just due to the new p770 having a more round shape.  All in all I think both the P770 and the P7mc are both great irons and you cannot go wrong with either of these options.  The P7mc offers what I would say a fair amount of forgiveness in the shorter irons (7-p) but then becomes pretty demanding in the longer irons.  The P770 definitely offers a bit more in terms of forgiveness and a bigger clubface.  Other than the fact that these irons have different types of head construction (Hollow body vs the one piece forged) I would say that these irons combo pretty well when the lofts are adjusted properly.

Pretty accurate description. I agree regarding the long irons in the MC. I truthfully would rather just have a blade. Absolutely not positive in terms of forgiveness over the MB IMO. 

For those with a combo set or MCs in short irons and 770s in long irons are you happy with the MCs or do you wish you went full set of 770s or MCs?  Also would you change where you start 770s.

Reason I ask is I have 3 months to switch anything out.

I will say the 770s look great in 7 thru A.

51 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

For those with a combo set or MCs in short irons and 770s in long irons are you happy with the MCs or do you wish you went full set of 770s or MCs?  Also would you change where you start 770s.

Reason I ask is I have 3 months to switch anything out.

I will say the 770s look great in 7 thru A.

I went 4-7 770 and 8-pw MC, really happy with it. Coming from JPX 900 forged I don’t think the MC short irons are any harder to hit, just way more consistent in terms of flight characteristics and distance.  I’m glad I went for the split set and am happy with the 8-pw, personally feel like I would start to see some forgiveness issues in the 7 iron of the MC. 

No launch monitor data to support this but I definitely feel like I hit the MCs a little lower which I like a lot but if you want more height the 770s in the short irons might be the move. I’m a pretty high ball hitter so it’s great for me. 

Also the MCs came with 2 points higher swingweight than the 770s so that might be another thing to check on. 

Edited by FatThinShank
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FatThinShank said:

I went 4-7 770 and 8-pw MC, really happy with it. Coming from JPX 900 forged I don’t think the MC short irons are any harder to hit, just way more consistent in terms of flight characteristics and distance.  I’m glad I went for the split set and am happy with the 8-pw, personally feel like I would start to see some forgiveness issues in the 7 iron of the MC. 

No launch monitor data to support this but I definitely feel like I hit the MCs a little lower which I like a lot but if you want more height the 770s in the short irons might be the move. I’m a pretty high ball hitter so it’s great for me. 

Also the MCs came with 2 points higher swingweight than the 770s so that might be another thing to check on. 

Did you go stick with heavier swingweights in your MCs.  What is your swingweight range?

Mine are:

P770 - px 5.5 +.25,  hsx1
A - D4
P - D4
9 - D2.75
8 - D3
7 - D3.25
6 - D3
5 - D3.25
4 - D3.25

40 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Did you go stick with heavier swingweights in your MCs.  What is your swingweight range?

Mine are:

P770 - px 5.5 +.25,  hsx1
A - D4
P - D4
9 - D2.75
8 - D3
7 - D3.25
6 - D3
5 - D3.25
4 - D3.25

I have PX 6.5 +.75”

770s were all about D3.5

MC’s were all about D5.5

I lead taped the 770s up to D5 and have been really happy with it, had to lead tape my wedges too. I’ve liked the heavier swingweight a lot more than my previous set where the irons were D2 I think. 

• Thanks 1

Curious if anyone waiting on their P770's order involving a KBS shaft was given a timeframe?  I ordered my left handed set on January 13th.  The order status only says "compiling custom components".  I spoke with customer service and I believe the only thing they're waiting on is the KBS c-taper lite X-flex shafts.  I wasn't given an estimated ship date so I was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat and had been given their best guess on when they expect KBS shafts?

2 hours ago, WV_Golfer said:

Curious if anyone waiting on their P770's order involving a KBS shaft was given a timeframe?  I ordered my left handed set on January 13th.  The order status only says "compiling custom components".  I spoke with customer service and I believe the only thing they're waiting on is the KBS c-taper lite X-flex shafts.  I wasn't given an estimated ship date so I was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat and had been given their best guess on when they expect KBS shafts?

Ordered a Lefty set of P770s 1/29 with  stiff KBS $ Taper-Lite, originally told they would ship in about 3 weeks but then told end of April.  I’ll check the TM website every so often and see an estimated ship date for my setup change from anywhere between 2/18 - 5/3 so who knows.  Interestingly enough I called KBS and was told they have plenty of the shaft I ordered in stock so it seems all delays are in the TM side, at least for in my case

I paid/ordered a stock set of MCs through Globalgolf in Sept and received first week of January.  I waited 4 months and missed tail end of season.  No idea on reason for delay except TM probably prioritizes certain retailers over others.  

I only have some simulator sessions in as waiting on snow to melt.  Long irons feel rough when I miss the ball.  I chalk it up to rust.  However, I played an old set of MP-33s while waiting on these and those long irons felt better - probably because my familiarity with them.  I can hit long irons so I am not too worried about it but I am already thinking of ordering 4-6 770.  I will not be ordering clubs from Globalgolf again.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

3 minutes ago, tanker44 said:

I paid/ordered a stock set of MCs through Globalgolf in Sept and received first week of January.  I waited 4 months and missed tail end of season.  No idea on reason for delay except TM probably prioritizes certain retailers over others.  

I only have some simulator sessions in as waiting on snow to melt.  Long irons feel rough when I miss the ball.  I chalk it up to rust.  However, I played an old set of MP-33s while waiting on these and those long irons felt better - probably because my familiarity with them.  I can hit long irons so I am not too worried about it but I am already thinking of ordering 4-6 770.  I will not be ordering clubs from Globalgolf again.

I went with full set of 770s due to concern with long irons.  I just got them so haven't had a chance to hit them.  I'm wondering if I want to add mc in 9 thru w.  I'm also thinking about zx7.  I'm sure once I hit them I'll know. 

Does sound like 770 long irons are very nice and MC is little rough in top end as you mentioned 

On 9/8/2020 at 12:09 PM, nikeblades00 said:

Thats crazy that you are just as long as your 790s. Some of the appeal of the 770s was more traditional lofts.

This is one of the reasons I just pulled the trigger on a set of P7MCs instead of 770s. I have the 790s, gave them to my brother who's newer to golf. The control was the deciding factor. Tighter front to back dispersion. Can't wait for them to come in this weekend!

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2