Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

Edited by Nick_E
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all, I know you're frustrated with delivery dates on the new irons, but golf was closed at the time we placed orders for the first wave of these products and as soon as golf opened again and we st

all of you guys complaining about your pre-orders really need to stop. The clubs have far exceeded their expectations in sales, and no matter what happens when you have a successful launch, there

Well got in my first round with the P770 2020 irons today(18 holes and an hour of range time) and thought I'd share some things I experienced today..I play anywhere from a 5 to a 9 with my driver bein

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

My opinion is the same as yours. Only actually had mine on the course once but been hitting them into a net at home quite a bit. They actually felt harsh on any slight mis hit. I ordered mine with Superstroke CC standard with 2 extra wraps. I hated the grips. I think with the 2 wraps it stretched the grips so they felt very hard and harsh. I regripped them with some GP grips and put in some pro soft inserts. Much better now. Hitting into a net is one thing. Being out and actually seeing the ball flight these produce makes me happy about my purchase.😀

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, Nick_E said:

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

7 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

• Like 1

I am working with both sets right now.  I gamed ~25 rounds with the P770s.  Just picked up a set of P7MCs that I’ll probably combo in.  Maybe do 4,5 in 770, 6-P in MCs.  So far have 4 range sessions in.

I missed the forged feel.  I do get lower ball flight with the MCs, even PX LS 6.5 shafts launched the P770 a smidge high.  

But as far as misses, yes the 770s don’t feel great on a miss.... but they feel a helluva lot better on a toe miss than P7MCs lol.

Any hollow head won’t feel as good as forged.  But that said; the 770s feel about as good as any hollow head I’ve hit.  The short irons especially have a nice solid feel.  I did game the MP-18 MMCs for about 6 rounds a few years ago.  I don’t think they felt much better if any than any other multi-material iron I’ve gamed (AP2, Apex Pro, MP-18 MMC, 770).  I will say that forgiveness of the P770 is greater than any of those above listed irons, and is only equaled or surpassed in an iron of that chassis size by i210.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider X

On 4/6/2021 at 10:53 AM, ASN21 said:

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

Definitely one of the reasons why I am enjoying the P7MCs..  You know instantly when you have a bad hit by the feel and even the sound. Heel side misses feel kind of good but toe misses actually sting the hands a little and sound louder/brighter.  But on flush shots the P7MCs feel effortless and soft. 

Looking forward to another session or round this weekend..  the weather couldn't be nicer...

• Like 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Just ordered my P-770s after a great fitting session at PGA Tour Superstore. The main reason this iron won out against the JPX 921 Tour and Forged as well as the Titleist T100s was simple - dispersion. Much tighter dispersion on this irons. I am a true Mizuno honk and have played exclusively Mizuno for as long as I can remember. Going into this fitting I was almost convenced I'd be walking out with a Mizuno.  Decided to order the P-770s as the performance was undeniably better for me. AND no rogue jumpers as with the P-790s. So my MP-64s will be giving up their bag space for my new P-770s in about 6 - 8 weeks (or months).  

The only down side I found was the extended wait time for the Nippon Modus 3 shaft - wait time was out until 7/15! So I decided to go with trusty Dynamic Gold S300s (which I also hit and same dispersion, just lacked the Modus feel) and will likely replace them with the Modus 3 shafts later in the season. 

Great irons, TaylorMade. Well done!