Jump to content

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020


doctorjedi

Recommended Posts

On 4/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, Nick_E said:

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

 

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Srixon ZX Utility - GD AD DI Hybrid 95x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-AW  - KBS $Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 56/12, 60/10 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am working with both sets right now.  I gamed ~25 rounds with the P770s.  Just picked up a set of P7MCs that I’ll probably combo in.  Maybe do 4,5 in 770, 6-P in MCs.  So far have 4 range sessions in.


I missed the forged feel.  I do get lower ball flight with the MCs, even PX LS 6.5 shafts launched the P770 a smidge high.  

 

But as far as misses, yes the 770s don’t feel great on a miss.... but they feel a helluva lot better on a toe miss than P7MCs lol.

 

Any hollow head won’t feel as good as forged.  But that said; the 770s feel about as good as any hollow head I’ve hit.  The short irons especially have a nice solid feel.  I did game the MP-18 MMCs for about 6 rounds a few years ago.  I don’t think they felt much better if any than any other multi-material iron I’ve gamed (AP2, Apex Pro, MP-18 MMC, 770).  I will say that forgiveness of the P770 is greater than any of those above listed irons, and is only equaled or surpassed in an iron of that chassis size by i210.

  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Vessel Player 3 DXR


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 10:53 AM, ASN21 said:

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

Definitely one of the reasons why I am enjoying the P7MCs..  You know instantly when you have a bad hit by the feel and even the sound. Heel side misses feel kind of good but toe misses actually sting the hands a little and sound louder/brighter.  But on flush shots the P7MCs feel effortless and soft. 

 

Looking forward to another session or round this weekend..  the weather couldn't be nicer...

  • Like 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ordered my P-770s after a great fitting session at PGA Tour Superstore. The main reason this iron won out against the JPX 921 Tour and Forged as well as the Titleist T100s was simple - dispersion. Much tighter dispersion on this irons. I am a true Mizuno honk and have played exclusively Mizuno for as long as I can remember. Going into this fitting I was almost convenced I'd be walking out with a Mizuno.  Decided to order the P-770s as the performance was undeniably better for me. AND no rogue jumpers as with the P-790s. So my MP-64s will be giving up their bag space for my new P-770s in about 6 - 8 weeks (or months).  

 

The only down side I found was the extended wait time for the Nippon Modus 3 shaft - wait time was out until 7/15! So I decided to go with trusty Dynamic Gold S300s (which I also hit and same dispersion, just lacked the Modus feel) and will likely replace them with the Modus 3 shafts later in the season. 

 

Great irons, TaylorMade. Well done!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I should be back on the range again tomorrow because today I am jamming with my nephew. A really pleasant afternoon and tomorrow is supposed to be around 68 degrees here.. 🙂   Anyone else have any new stories about their new clubs or amazing shots to report on?

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I play a split bag with 770's 5,6,7 and MC's 8,9,PW.  Love the forged feel of the MC's and the workability in the shorter irons.  The 770's have simply been more accurate and higher flying for me in the mid irons.  I also have the 6,7 in MC's, but dispersion is not quite as good as with the 770's and misses are punishing.  Agree that the 770's lack the feel of the MC's and this took a little getting used to coming from MP-18's.  My scores are lower though and right now that is the name of the game for me...

  • Like 4

Titleist TSi2 Driver 9* VA Nemesys 55

Titleist TSi2 4W 16.5* Tensei White

Callaway Apex Pro 4H & 5H MMT

Titleist T100S 6-GW NS Pro 850 GH

Callaway MD5 52*, 56*, 60* Steelfiber i95/i110

Scotty Cameron Golo Jet Black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, chasdr said:

I play a split bag with 770's 5,6,7 and MC's 8,9,PW.  Love the forged feel of the MC's and the workability in the shorter irons.  The 770's have simply been more accurate and higher flying for me in the mid irons.  I also have the 6,7 in MC's, but dispersion is not quite as good as with the 770's and misses are punishing.  Agree that the 770's lack the feel of the MC's and this took a little getting used to coming from MP-18's.  My scores are lower though and right now that is the name of the game for me...

I ordered the exact same combo and am now waiting on them to arrive in the next 3-4 weeks. What did you do with lofts? I'm struggling with a high ball flight so I ordered the P7MCs 1 degree strong and P770s with stock lofts. Have you seen a big gap between 7 and 8 irons?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I combo'd my P770 into my P7MC with a 4,5 770 and 6-PW MC split.  I left the 770 lofts standard, and had my MCs bent 1* strong.  Very pleased so far.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

Vessel Player 3 DXR


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The MC’s are 1 degree strong and the gaping has been perfect from the 8 to the 7. Actually forgot I did this until you mentioned it, so for sure haven’t noticed it on the course. 

Titleist TSi2 Driver 9* VA Nemesys 55

Titleist TSi2 4W 16.5* Tensei White

Callaway Apex Pro 4H & 5H MMT

Titleist T100S 6-GW NS Pro 850 GH

Callaway MD5 52*, 56*, 60* Steelfiber i95/i110

Scotty Cameron Golo Jet Black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The one thing I really like about these clubs is the dispersion. The misses truly fly straight for me. The misses are actually terrific and like they say it's a game of misses. 

So these clubs are an enigma, but I waited 2 months to get them late last year and I'm going to try to keep them in the bag. However if anyone wants a good deal on gently used p770s hit me up😜

Edited by nikeblades00
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, Hougz79 said:

I am working with both sets right now.  I gamed ~25 rounds with the P770s.  Just picked up a set of P7MCs that I’ll probably combo in.  Maybe do 4,5 in 770, 6-P in MCs.  So far have 4 range sessions in.


I missed the forged feel.  I do get lower ball flight with the MCs, even PX LS 6.5 shafts launched the P770 a smidge high.  

 

But as far as misses, yes the 770s don’t feel great on a miss.... but they feel a helluva lot better on a toe miss than P7MCs lol.

 

Any hollow head won’t feel as good as forged.  But that said; the 770s feel about as good as any hollow head I’ve hit.  The short irons especially have a nice solid feel.  I did game the MP-18 MMCs for about 6 rounds a few years ago.  I don’t think they felt much better if any than any other multi-material iron I’ve gamed (AP2, Apex Pro, MP-18 MMC, 770).  I will say that forgiveness of the P770 is greater than any of those above listed irons, and is only equaled or surpassed in an iron of that chassis size by i210.

I do get lower ball flight with the MCs

My comment on this after using these irons for a couple months, when you don't make a really perfect shot in the sweet spot they lose not only distance but height.  When you hit that magic area on this club it launches...  These things are not easy for mid to high handicappers, I'm straight but short on miss hits...

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've combo'd the 4-6 (770s; 1 degree weak)) with 7-P (7MC; standard loft) and have noticed no problems with yardage 6i-7i. I'm absolutely loving this combo. Modus 105 shafts have blown me away too. 

770s do not sound anywhere as nice as the 7MCs (no surprise there) and can be difficult to locate miss hits on the face, but they launch the ball nicely. Feel of the 7MCs is exactly what i dreamed of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Muggs said:

I've combo'd the 4-6 (770s; 1 degree weak)) with 7-P (7MC; standard loft) and have noticed no problems with yardage 6i-7i. I'm absolutely loving this combo. Modus 105 shafts have blown me away too. 

770s do not sound anywhere as nice as the 7MCs (no surprise there) and can be difficult to locate miss hits on the face, but they launch the ball nicely. Feel of the 7MCs is exactly what i dreamed of. 

The one reason I hate combining iron sets. 
 

I always start to prefer one over the other for certain reasons.

 

i can go more forgiving in the longest iron (p770 in 3 iron) but then I have to go with the same model the rest of the way. 
 

 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 8.25*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* atmos black 6x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I compare these irons, the more I want to play the P7MC. I was able to hit these, albeit with different shafts, but I was still able to get a good idea of the feel, launch, and spin with the P770 vs P7MC. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Tour AD DI 6x - Titleist TSI2 16.5* - Tour AD DI 7x- Titleist 910H 21* - Diamana Kai’li 85x

Titleist T100 4-PW - Modus 120x - Titleist Vokey SM8 52/F, 58/M - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried to like the p770s but they just launch too high for me.  I couldn't control them as much as I wanted.   I went back and tried lots of clubs and ended up with Wilson staff CBs.  They had an awesome feel and much better ball flight and control.  Even though they are slightly weaker lofts than 770s I actually hit them further.  I also went with kns tour 105s.  First set of Wilson's and absolutely love them.  Cost was better which was nice too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Nick_E said:

I tried to like the p770s but they just launch too high for me.  I couldn't control them as much as I wanted.   I went back and tried lots of clubs and ended up with Wilson staff CBs.  They had an awesome feel and much better ball flight and control.  Even though they are slightly weaker lofts than 770s I actually hit them further.  I also went with kns tour 105s.  First set of Wilson's and absolutely love them.  Cost was better which was nice too.

How do you like those KBS Tour 105s? Have always stuck with the 120g version but am curious whether the lighter ones feel just as stable and smooth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If any of you boys (or girls) want to game the P770 but don’t want to wait for the delivery time, the good news is a set pops up in the BST every couple of minutes. All you have to do is get in there and hit refresh on your browser. I just don’t think people are getting along with these. Particularly KBS tour 120S.

 

Couple weeks ago I saw the same set bought/sold twice on here within the same week....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Playing the best golf of my life with the P770s. I recently made a switch from ctaper 120 —> $taper HT 120 and the results have been phenomenal. Feel/consistency/control are outstanding compared to the Srixon Z585s I was playing previously, but they still give you a little pop distance wise. Great iron, and I think fitting is very important with these. 

  • Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Srixon ZX Utility - GD AD DI Hybrid 95x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-AW  - KBS $Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 56/12, 60/10 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Playing the best golf of my life with the P770s. I recently made a switch from ctaper 120 —> $taper HT 120 and the results have been phenomenal. Feel/consistency/control are outstanding compared to the Srixon Z585s I was playing previously, but they still give you a little pop distance wise. Great iron, and I think fitting is very important with these. 

 

Great combo!

  • Thanks 1

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

                  Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

If any of you boys (or girls) want to game the P770 but don’t want to wait for the delivery time, the good news is a set pops up in the BST every couple of minutes. All you have to do is get in there and hit refresh on your browser. I just don’t think people are getting along with these. Particularly KBS tour 120S.

 

Couple weeks ago I saw the same set bought/sold twice on here within the same week....

I think the problem is alot of high handicappers are buying them expecting same forgiveness of the p790s and it's not! But p770s are legit and the kbs120s actually pair excellent with them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

I think the problem is alot of high handicappers are buying them expecting same forgiveness of the p790s and it's not! But p770s are legit and the kbs120s actually pair excellent with them!

I suggest they spend some time hitting the P7MCs and then switch back to the 770s and suddenly you will notice the forgiveness.  The P7MCs are not a forgiving club even if they act like it with the 3mm cavity..  Once you get down to about 6 iron you need to be making real solid contact good face location and good compression otherwise the clubs stop performing like you would expect from it.  Glad the above user found a more suitable club but I am still trying to make peace with my P7MCs.. 🙂  

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies
    • 2021 BMW Championship - Discussion and Links
      Put any questions of comments here
       
       
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 BMW Championship - Tuesday #7
       
       
      Cameron T-11 & T-11.5 putters at 2021 BMW Championship
      Mizuno Pro FliHi and 225 irons - 2021 BMW CHampionship
       
       
       
      • 18 replies
    • 2021 Ping i59 irons & Glide Forged wedges in hand comparison pics!!!
      In hand pics of the new 2021 Ping i59 irons and Glide Forged wedges...
       

       
      Ping i59 7 iron
       

       
       
      Ping i59 PW
       

       
      Ping i59 Comparison Photos

       

       

       

       
       
       
       
      PING Glide Forged Wedges

       
      Ping Glide Eye Toe Wedge
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 99 replies
    • 2021 The Northern Trust - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #1
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #2
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #3
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #4
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #5
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #6
      2021 The Northern Trust - Tuesday #7
       
       
      New Cameron for JT - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Cameron putters for Garrick Higgo - 2021 The Northern Trust
      New Odyssey putter covers - 2021 The Northern Trust
       
       
      • 6 replies

×
×
  • Create New...