Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

On 4/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, Nick_E said:

I need the group's input.  I got a set of p770s with px shafts.  I'm finally able to play them in a round.  I love the distance, height, and spin.  My downside is that I'm not a big fan of the feel.  I am considering a different shaft, but also switching to MMC's or zx7.  So far MMCs have superior feel but I'm not sure I'll get the same height.  

I have about 3 weeks left in order to trade them.  Appreciate the group's feedback. 

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey all, I know you're frustrated with delivery dates on the new irons, but golf was closed at the time we placed orders for the first wave of these products and as soon as golf opened again and we st

all of you guys complaining about your pre-orders really need to stop. The clubs have far exceeded their expectations in sales, and no matter what happens when you have a successful launch, there

Well got in my first round with the P770 2020 irons today(18 holes and an hour of range time) and thought I'd share some things I experienced today..I play anywhere from a 5 to a 9 with my driver bein

Posted Images

7 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

When you say you don't like the feel, is it the feel off the face or the feel of the shaft? ZX7 is an entirely different type of club IMO. Less forgiving, different ball flight characteristics/dynamics. unless you are going for an entirely new fitting to test the two clubs head to head, I would explore a shaft change initially 

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

I didn't like the feel of the head.  Overall results are good.  My miss is a toe miss and I've read that mp 20 mmcs are designed well for that miss.  I will look at shaft changes but the mmc head just feels buttery soft.  End of the day though I have to get results and I like the results of the 770s.  We'll see.  Trying to get another fitting in a week or two

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

• Like 2

I am working with both sets right now.  I gamed ~25 rounds with the P770s.  Just picked up a set of P7MCs that I’ll probably combo in.  Maybe do 4,5 in 770, 6-P in MCs.  So far have 4 range sessions in.

I missed the forged feel.  I do get lower ball flight with the MCs, even PX LS 6.5 shafts launched the P770 a smidge high.  

But as far as misses, yes the 770s don’t feel great on a miss.... but they feel a helluva lot better on a toe miss than P7MCs lol.

Any hollow head won’t feel as good as forged.  But that said; the 770s feel about as good as any hollow head I’ve hit.  The short irons especially have a nice solid feel.  I did game the MP-18 MMCs for about 6 rounds a few years ago.  I don’t think they felt much better if any than any other multi-material iron I’ve gamed (AP2, Apex Pro, MP-18 MMC, 770).  I will say that forgiveness of the P770 is greater than any of those above listed irons, and is only equaled or surpassed in an iron of that chassis size by i210.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

On 4/6/2021 at 10:53 AM, ASN21 said:

Toe side miss on the P770's is harsh, I know from experience. But when that rare instance of me hitting the middle happens it feels great to me. I guess the "harshness" for me helps to tell me I had a bad strike. 

Definitely one of the reasons why I am enjoying the P7MCs..  You know instantly when you have a bad hit by the feel and even the sound. Heel side misses feel kind of good but toe misses actually sting the hands a little and sound louder/brighter.  But on flush shots the P7MCs feel effortless and soft. 

Looking forward to another session or round this weekend..  the weather couldn't be nicer...

• Like 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

Just ordered my P-770s after a great fitting session at PGA Tour Superstore. The main reason this iron won out against the JPX 921 Tour and Forged as well as the Titleist T100s was simple - dispersion. Much tighter dispersion on this irons. I am a true Mizuno honk and have played exclusively Mizuno for as long as I can remember. Going into this fitting I was almost convenced I'd be walking out with a Mizuno.  Decided to order the P-770s as the performance was undeniably better for me. AND no rogue jumpers as with the P-790s. So my MP-64s will be giving up their bag space for my new P-770s in about 6 - 8 weeks (or months).  

The only down side I found was the extended wait time for the Nippon Modus 3 shaft - wait time was out until 7/15! So I decided to go with trusty Dynamic Gold S300s (which I also hit and same dispersion, just lacked the Modus feel) and will likely replace them with the Modus 3 shafts later in the season. 

Great irons, TaylorMade. Well done!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I should be back on the range again tomorrow because today I am jamming with my nephew. A really pleasant afternoon and tomorrow is supposed to be around 68 degrees here.. 🙂   Anyone else have any new stories about their new clubs or amazing shots to report on?

• 2 weeks later...

I play a split bag with 770's 5,6,7 and MC's 8,9,PW.  Love the forged feel of the MC's and the workability in the shorter irons.  The 770's have simply been more accurate and higher flying for me in the mid irons.  I also have the 6,7 in MC's, but dispersion is not quite as good as with the 770's and misses are punishing.  Agree that the 770's lack the feel of the MC's and this took a little getting used to coming from MP-18's.  My scores are lower though and right now that is the name of the game for me...

• Like 3

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Mizuno ST-Z 5 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 23* MMT

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 26* MMT

Ping i210 6 - W SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD5 50/54/58 KBS C-Taper

Scotty Cameron Golo

9 hours ago, chasdr said:

I play a split bag with 770's 5,6,7 and MC's 8,9,PW.  Love the forged feel of the MC's and the workability in the shorter irons.  The 770's have simply been more accurate and higher flying for me in the mid irons.  I also have the 6,7 in MC's, but dispersion is not quite as good as with the 770's and misses are punishing.  Agree that the 770's lack the feel of the MC's and this took a little getting used to coming from MP-18's.  My scores are lower though and right now that is the name of the game for me...

I ordered the exact same combo and am now waiting on them to arrive in the next 3-4 weeks. What did you do with lofts? I'm struggling with a high ball flight so I ordered the P7MCs 1 degree strong and P770s with stock lofts. Have you seen a big gap between 7 and 8 irons?

I combo'd my P770 into my P7MC with a 4,5 770 and 6-PW MC split.  I left the 770 lofts standard, and had my MCs bent 1* strong.  Very pleased so far.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 (2021)

The MC’s are 1 degree strong and the gaping has been perfect from the 8 to the 7. Actually forgot I did this until you mentioned it, so for sure haven’t noticed it on the course. 

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Mizuno ST-Z 5 Wood Evenflow Riptide

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 23* MMT

Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 26* MMT

Ping i210 6 - W SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD5 50/54/58 KBS C-Taper

Scotty Cameron Golo

Really want to place an order for a 770/7mc combo set as i can get a ridiculous deal through my employer but delivery date on the 7MC is 09/16 and im currently on club purchase restriction so I can buy without selling and I can go till September without irons obviously. 

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

Posted (edited)

The one thing I really like about these clubs is the dispersion. The misses truly fly straight for me. The misses are actually terrific and like they say it's a game of misses. 

So these clubs are an enigma, but I waited 2 months to get them late last year and I'm going to try to keep them in the bag. However if anyone wants a good deal on gently used p770s hit me up😜

Edited by nikeblades00

Just curious for the better players that are combo owing the 770 and 70 MC are you going 4/5or 4/5/6 in the 770? I plan to go 1* weak in the 770’s but my concern is possible distance gap between the 770 6 and 7mc 7. 

Titleist TSi3 Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Stealh, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

On 4/6/2021 at 11:48 AM, Hougz79 said:

I am working with both sets right now.  I gamed ~25 rounds with the P770s.  Just picked up a set of P7MCs that I’ll probably combo in.  Maybe do 4,5 in 770, 6-P in MCs.  So far have 4 range sessions in.

I missed the forged feel.  I do get lower ball flight with the MCs, even PX LS 6.5 shafts launched the P770 a smidge high.  

But as far as misses, yes the 770s don’t feel great on a miss.... but they feel a helluva lot better on a toe miss than P7MCs lol.

Any hollow head won’t feel as good as forged.  But that said; the 770s feel about as good as any hollow head I’ve hit.  The short irons especially have a nice solid feel.  I did game the MP-18 MMCs for about 6 rounds a few years ago.  I don’t think they felt much better if any than any other multi-material iron I’ve gamed (AP2, Apex Pro, MP-18 MMC, 770).  I will say that forgiveness of the P770 is greater than any of those above listed irons, and is only equaled or surpassed in an iron of that chassis size by i210.

I do get lower ball flight with the MCs

My comment on this after using these irons for a couple months, when you don't make a really perfect shot in the sweet spot they lose not only distance but height.  When you hit that magic area on this club it launches...  These things are not easy for mid to high handicappers, I'm straight but short on miss hits...

• 2 weeks later...

I've combo'd the 4-6 (770s; 1 degree weak)) with 7-P (7MC; standard loft) and have noticed no problems with yardage 6i-7i. I'm absolutely loving this combo. Modus 105 shafts have blown me away too. 

770s do not sound anywhere as nice as the 7MCs (no surprise there) and can be difficult to locate miss hits on the face, but they launch the ball nicely. Feel of the 7MCs is exactly what i dreamed of. 

19 hours ago, Muggs said:

I've combo'd the 4-6 (770s; 1 degree weak)) with 7-P (7MC; standard loft) and have noticed no problems with yardage 6i-7i. I'm absolutely loving this combo. Modus 105 shafts have blown me away too. 

770s do not sound anywhere as nice as the 7MCs (no surprise there) and can be difficult to locate miss hits on the face, but they launch the ball nicely. Feel of the 7MCs is exactly what i dreamed of. 

The one reason I hate combining iron sets. 

I always start to prefer one over the other for certain reasons.

i can go more forgiving in the longest iron (p770 in 3 iron) but then I have to go with the same model the rest of the way. 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 7.5*)Fuji ventus black 6x
Titleist TS3 18* fuji ventus black 8x 

Ping g425 4hyb at 20.5* stock Alta CB  
Taylormade p750 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 

The more I compare these irons, the more I want to play the P7MC. I was able to hit these, albeit with different shafts, but I was still able to get a good idea of the feel, launch, and spin with the P770 vs P7MC. 

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 9* - AD IZ 6x  - Taylormade SIM 2 Max 15* - Tensei AV Raw Blue 7x  - Titleist 910H 21* - Kai'li 85x 

Titleist 620 CB 4-PW - ProjectX LZ 6.0  - Titleist Vokey SM8 52.08/F and 58.08/M  - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 

I tried to like the p770s but they just launch too high for me.  I couldn't control them as much as I wanted.   I went back and tried lots of clubs and ended up with Wilson staff CBs.  They had an awesome feel and much better ball flight and control.  Even though they are slightly weaker lofts than 770s I actually hit them further.  I also went with kns tour 105s.  First set of Wilson's and absolutely love them.  Cost was better which was nice too.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Nick_E said:

I tried to like the p770s but they just launch too high for me.  I couldn't control them as much as I wanted.   I went back and tried lots of clubs and ended up with Wilson staff CBs.  They had an awesome feel and much better ball flight and control.  Even though they are slightly weaker lofts than 770s I actually hit them further.  I also went with kns tour 105s.  First set of Wilson's and absolutely love them.  Cost was better which was nice too.

How do you like those KBS Tour 105s? Have always stuck with the 120g version but am curious whether the lighter ones feel just as stable and smooth. 

If any of you boys (or girls) want to game the P770 but don’t want to wait for the delivery time, the good news is a set pops up in the BST every couple of minutes. All you have to do is get in there and hit refresh on your browser. I just don’t think people are getting along with these. Particularly KBS tour 120S.

Couple weeks ago I saw the same set bought/sold twice on here within the same week....

Playing the best golf of my life with the P770s. I recently made a switch from ctaper 120 —> $taper HT 120 and the results have been phenomenal. Feel/consistency/control are outstanding compared to the Srixon Z585s I was playing previously, but they still give you a little pop distance wise. Great iron, and I think fitting is very important with these. 

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Taylormade DHY - Diamana Thump 100x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-PW  - KBS C Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 51/10, 56/12, 60/10 - KBS 610 125S+

Putter: TM Spider X Chalk 

6 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Playing the best golf of my life with the P770s. I recently made a switch from ctaper 120 —> $taper HT 120 and the results have been phenomenal. Feel/consistency/control are outstanding compared to the Srixon Z585s I was playing previously, but they still give you a little pop distance wise. Great iron, and I think fitting is very important with these. 

Great combo!

• Thanks 1

Driver = Taylormade SIM2 8* Hzrdus green 70 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56*
                   Callaway Jaws MD5 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

9 hours ago, dcfball88 said:

If any of you boys (or girls) want to game the P770 but don’t want to wait for the delivery time, the good news is a set pops up in the BST every couple of minutes. All you have to do is get in there and hit refresh on your browser. I just don’t think people are getting along with these. Particularly KBS tour 120S.

Couple weeks ago I saw the same set bought/sold twice on here within the same week....

I think the problem is alot of high handicappers are buying them expecting same forgiveness of the p790s and it's not! But p770s are legit and the kbs120s actually pair excellent with them!

25 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

I think the problem is alot of high handicappers are buying them expecting same forgiveness of the p790s and it's not! But p770s are legit and the kbs120s actually pair excellent with them!

I suggest they spend some time hitting the P7MCs and then switch back to the 770s and suddenly you will notice the forgiveness.  The P7MCs are not a forgiving club even if they act like it with the 3mm cavity..  Once you get down to about 6 iron you need to be making real solid contact good face location and good compression otherwise the clubs stop performing like you would expect from it.  Glad the above user found a more suitable club but I am still trying to make peace with my P7MCs.. 🙂