• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That lead tape was crazy. When I first saw it I thought it was a really bad duct tape job. I think the backswing stop is just for a rest from the weight.

The best putter I ever saw in 50 years of playing used a similar pause in the backswing. This was from back in the mid 70's, he was a great pool player and used the same style when putting. To start

Phil was doing it last week at the end of his last round but nobody noticed. The man isn't afraid to try stuff. I'll give him credit.

LOL he gained a stroke on the field on putting. It works. I'm not sure how that helps though as it goes against all golf putting instruction.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

That lead tape was crazy. When I first saw it I thought it was a really bad duct tape job. I think the backswing stop is just for a rest from the weight.

• Like 1

Bridgestone Tour B XD-03 10.5 with GD Tour AD GP-6 stiff
Ping G400 15* with Alta CB 65
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 18 hybrid 
Tourstage X Blade 909 MB 4-PW with TT AMT Black stiff
Callaway MD4 50,54,48
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6

The best putter I ever saw in 50 years of playing used a similar pause in the backswing. This was from back in the mid 70's, he was a great pool player and used the same style when putting. To start his stroke he would move the putter back and forth like a cue stick a couple times and he would pause at the backswing before bringing the putter forward. He was otherworldly with that ping zing. He won multiple club championships even though he was not a long hitter because his putter was so good. Many of us that worked/played at that club tried to imitate that style but it was clearly the talent and not just the style that was making the putts! I have a ping zing in my stable of putters that comes out every now and then just because of him but it doesn't work nearly as well for me!

• Like 1

Funny to see how many people criticize a five time major, 44 time pga your champion, 3 time ncaa champion....as if they are, of course, far superior to Phil.

its obvious that he’s losing strokes because of his putter in the past 18 months, so why not institute a change. Maybe the reason he’s won more than anybody else in this generation not named Tiger is because he’s willing to change and adjust.

• Like 1

If he had lead tape inside the putter shaft you could not have seen it.

**WITB (Lefty)** TaylorMade R7 Driver Titleist 3W Ping Eye 2 Beryllium 1- Iron (Blue Dot) Pro Group Arnold Palmer Professional Pro Staff 3-PW Ram Tom Watson 55° & 60° Wedges Designed by Cleveland 8802 style putter **WITC (What's in the Closet)** 10 or so other 8802 style putters Adams Tom Watson 60° Wedge Adams Nick Faldo Asymmetrical sole 60° Wedge MacGregor Tommy Armour 2-PW Ping Karsten III+ 3-PW (Green Dot) **WILITF (What I lost in the fire)** Harvey Penick Take Dead Aim Titanium Driver Harvey Penick 10° driver, 12° driver, 3 wood Campbell Arnold Palmer 3-PW blades Ram Tom Watson 55° & 60° Wedges Arnold Palmer The Original Putter x2

I too have changed my putting approach thru the years. But I recall Fred Couples noting that whenever he would make a change he would putt worse when he first took it to the course. Let’s face it, at 50 Phil and Ernie are past their best days. But they still are capable of a few rounds when they capture the old magic. That’s one reason why golf is so compelling. I thought Phil looked too mechanical with it, leaving very makeable putts short. MV is not an easy set of greens to try something different...

That’s an interesting observation. Generally I would agree with you, it’s absolutely ok to question something (whether it be the method, or the motivation.) unfortunately, a fair amount of “questioning” here Comes in the form of condescension, dripping with an aura of superiority.

i should have made the distinction.

Nah...Steve is from the other side of the pond and too young.......The guy i knew was not a national name but a great regional player in the Philly area from the earlier Willie Mosconi / Minnesota Fats era of pool. players. He was friendly with Willie and would bring him to the club to play golf when he was in the Philly / Atlantic City area for tournaments.

Not many and they were just brief discussions in the pro shop as they were checking in or sitting in there hanging out waiting to go out or after they came in. He was very nice, would shake hands and say hi to anyone that came in while he was there and recognized him whether they were teenage bag boys or members. He joined in the conversations but didn't have to dominate it, just a guy out to play some golf. Mont, the member that he came in with, was also a super nice guy that everyone liked and joked with and a lot of guys didn't even realize who was sitting in the chair next to him! We would joke about that after they left and he really didn't care if anybody knew him.